Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Jampip wrote: »
    The annoying thing about staying in Division 2, while I'd prefer it than relegation, is that it's going to be like a mini Ulster championship. Down will most likely go up but you're looking at ourselves, Armagh, Fermanagh, Derry and two of Tyrone/Donegal all being in the Division.

I still think we could been promoted and I don't buy this reasoning that we're not fit for Division 1 yet. We aren't I agree but at least playing the best teams might develop the players more. One of the exciting things about this year's league was playing decent teams like Galway and Laois that we don't play often but there'll be little of that next year.

On second thoughts, promotion doesnt look like a bad option!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

St pats lost 1-14 to 1-10 after extra time to dingle in the semi final. They were a point up at the end of normal time but just couldn't hang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just thawed out after a wet and windy one in Breffni. Great result - Cavan by far the better team particularly in the second half. Division 2 status secured and still in with a chance of getting promoted. Main priority of staying in division 2 has been achieved :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Good win in poor conditions especially the first half calmed down a bit in second.

Moving ball quicker in second half , first half with the wind was as bad as I've seen Cavan play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Great win this evening. Is a Roscommon win tomorrow the end of Cavan's hopes for promotion realistically?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Good win in poor conditions especially the first half calmed down a bit in second.

Moving ball quicker in second half , first half with the wind was as bad as I've seen Cavan play.

Yep we were poor in the first half and playing with the wind didn't suit us as they nearly felt compelled to let the ball in and it was usually the wrong ball or Dunne wasn't really showing either. Second half we were far better when we had to retain possession and work the score to the man in the right position. Westmeath were very poor but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Btw what did the Westmeath lad get red carded for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No matter what we (Ros) do tomorrow a Down loss to Laois means Cavan go up with a win in Navan. If Ros and Cavan are level after the last round scoring difference will decide who is ahead since the head-to-head was a draw.

Would love to see a repeat of the D3 final for this year's D2 final..

Syferus wrote: »
    No matter what we (Ros) do tomorrow a Down loss to Laois means Cavan go up with a win in Navan. If Ros and Cavan are level after the last round scoring difference will decide who is ahead since the head-to-head was a draw.

Would love to see a repeat of the D3 final for this year's D2 final..

That would mean a double, double promotion if that happened ie both teams get promoted 2 years running. That would be something special.

Not going to happen but if Cavan were in the league final would that not clash with the trip to New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not going to happen but if Cavan were in the league final would that not clash with the trip to New York.

The way the division has panned out anything is possible but one thing is for sure if we stay in division 2 and not go up I'm not sure if it will be nice to watch with all the ulster teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

cavan4sam wrote: »
    The way the division has panned out anything is possible but one thing is for sure if we stay in division 2 and not go up I'm not sure if it will be nice to watch with all the ulster teams

It'll be terrible to watch. Derry were absolutely dour against the Dubs tonight.

I can't see why we can't beat Meath but I don't see the other results going our way. Down will beat Laois and the Rossies are going to win their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Great result last night, tangible progress. If we could get a result against Meath, be it with/out promotion we would have nice momentum coming into the championship.

Real shame about St Pats, some basic errors throughout, coupled with an absolutely inept display of refereeing cost them. David Brady put in an outstanding second half display.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Great result last night, tangible progress. If we could get a result against Meath, be it with/out promotion we would have nice momentum coming into the championship.

Real shame about St Pats, some basic errors throughout, coupled with an absolutely inept display of refereeing cost them. David Brady put in an outstanding second half display.

I was at the game in Nenagh and I would not blame the ref for the defeat. We never turned up in the first half. It was pretty obvious to me and the people around us that David Brady should have been moved to midfield in the first half and move Galligan in on the square. we had a strong wind behind us. What happened the team that they turned up in Nenagh late. They arrived at 1.20 and arrived on the pitch at 1.57. They had only starred there warm up when the ef went over and told them to stop that it was time for throw in. The lack of warm up and as a result slow start to match was not a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Neverthless they led going into the last few minutes and the ref denied them a penalty, didn't give a free for a blatant Kerry handle on the ground which led to a score a second later. Denied Ted at least 2 blatant frees and seemed to blow everything for Kerry in the last ten minutes or so.
    Pats discipline let them down in the end too. The levelling free should never have been conceded.

Its going to be a very interesting last round of the league with rossies losing today . Hopefully we'll get a win up in morder and let the rest take care of itself

Yes mindset has to be focus on our own game and let the rest sort itself out. No point in losing focus looking at other games.

Two years ago though we went into the last Division 3 game with an outside chance of promotion and, for some reason, we didn't seem up for it at all and let the Rossies give us an awful trouncing in Breffni.

I'm worried we may do the same again. Staying in Division 2 was the target and the team have achieved that. I'd like to think we'd go for the win against Meath but that game two years ago really surprised me.

It's Meath - I don't doubt that they will go for it. We are in a nice position going into the last weekend and a training camp coming up which will hopefully build team spirit even more. Not a bad place to be at all coming into the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

tanko wrote: »
    St pats lost 1-14 to 1-10 after extra time to dingle in the semi final. They were a point up at the end of normal time but just couldn't hang on.
    highlights video here:
    http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/3003151100-hogan-cup-pcd-edge-st-pats-cavan-in-semi/

CAVAN: A O’Mara; O Minagh, K Brady, J McEnroe; D O’Reilly, A Clarke, J Hayes; T Corr, G McKiernan; C Mackey, M Reilly, M McKeever; J Brady, N McDermott, D Givney. Subs: F Flanagan for Hayes (25), B Reilly for M Reilly (62), K Meehan for McKeever (65), D McKiernan for Corr (67), N Murray for J Brady (70).

Cavan team from two years ago. It's amazing to think that O'Mara, Minagh, Clarke, Hayes and Givney aren't involved with the setup at all now. Five of that starting 15. 7 of them will start again on Sunday I'd expect - McEnroe, O'Reilly, Corr, McKiernan, Mackey, Reilly and McDermott. Flanagan who came on as a sub two years ago brings it to eight. Gunner Brady is also in with a hope but appears to have been dropped. I can't really argue with that decision. He brings great passion but he gives away too many frees for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

CAVAN: A O’Mara; O Minagh, K Brady, J McEnroe; D O’Reilly, A Clarke, J Hayes; T Corr, G McKiernan; C Mackey, M Reilly, M McKeever; J Brady, N McDermott, D Givney. Subs: F Flanagan for Hayes (25), B Reilly for M Reilly (62), K Meehan for McKeever (65), D McKiernan for Corr (67), N Murray for J Brady (70).

This reminds me off the days before Rory Dunne, so much chopping and changing at full back. He has given us a real presence in a vital position and has played a big part in our progress

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Completely agree Sheldon. Remember the days when Corr was being tried.. The full back line was just completely non functioning and there was calls for their heads after every game.
    Dunne is a very good full back and the best we've had in a long number of years. The most amazing thing for me is the journey he's made. A few years back, long after he'd made his Senior Debut, he had a bad injury and was making his return to playing in Redhills second team, they were playing my own Club's (Junior club) second team. He was playing midfield and got the run around from a lad who barely plays football. I remember thinking at the time that it was a sad sight for a lad who always had so much promise. A few years later he was man of the match in Croke Park after marking Kieran Donaghy, delighted for the lad and hope he keeps it going.

SheldonC17 wrote: »

This reminds me off the days before Rory Dunne, so much chopping and changing at full back. He has given us a real presence in a vital position and has played a big part in our progress

McEnroe actually operated at full back in that game and performed very well. He's a fantastic player. Loves the physical challenge. Opponents just bounce off him.

Unsurprisingly no changes to the team for the match tomorrow.

Minors had a good win over Monaghan in the Minor League 2-16 to 2-10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Was listening to the game on northern sound. Ten minutes left, cavan are three up and they head back to clones to a game that's long over. Back to Navan with time almost up and it's level. Then two more Meath points and it's over.

Can anyone shed some light on what went wrong in the last ten minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

With Northern Sound's coverage? Where would you start

Was listening to the game on northern sound. Ten minutes left, cavan are three up and they head back to clones to a game that's long over. Back to Navan with time almost up and it's level. Then two more Meath points and it's over.

Cavan missed their chances to be honest. Both teams had plenty of wides and Cavan also missed some good goal chances.

Meath threw everything at us and we couldn't cope.

In the end, their better bench won the game. I won't name the Cavan sub but one lad came on and you'd struggle to notice he was on the pitch.

Meanwhile Michael Argue came on later and won some fine ball. You'd have to wonder why he wasn't on earlier. He did miss a great goal chance though.

A good league campaign though. Just a pity that Division 2 next year is going to be such a minefield.

disappointed with the result but i think roscommon are better equipped to play division 1 football next year ,never nice to lose to meath but at least they didn't get promoted
    i think we held our own in this division this year and we'll go into championship more level headed and grounded than last year whereas monaghan could be coming off two heavy defeats to dublin going into the game

cavan4sam wrote: »
    disappointed with the result but i think roscommon are better equipped to play division 1 football next year ,never nice to lose to meath but at least they didn't get promoted
    i think we held our own in this division this year and we'll go into championship more level headed and grounded than last year whereas monaghan could be coming off two heavy defeats to dublin going into the game

What I have put in Bold could be the key when the two teams meet in Ulster Championship. This league campagin certainly was better than I expected and it will be a positive development for this team to play div 2 next year.

Just want to ask what is peoples opinions on what a good championship campaign would be for this team? I personally would like to see them get to the last 12 again although I would of course like to see the team win ulster I don't see that happening.

• Advertisement

lycan238 wrote: »
    What I have put in Bold could be the key when the two teams meet in Ulster Championship. This league campagin certainly was better than I expected and it will be a positive development for this team to play div 2 next year.

Just want to ask what is peoples opinions on what a good championship campaign would be for this team? I personally would like to see them get to the last 12 again although I would of course like to see the team win ulster I don't see that happening.

So much hinges on the Monaghan game. Win that and I think we could get very close to winning Ulster. We could get to a quarter final again even if we lose Ulster final.

On the other hand if we lose to Monaghan we could go out of the qualifiers with a whimper and there would be real pressure on management.

The Monaghan game is absolutely massive for this team. I'm excited and terrified in equal measure about that game.

Consolidating our position in the league is a good positive return from the league.

Advertisement