Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Only saw the 1st half and knew from early on we were in trouble. Very harsh sending off and yet again we missed too many goal chances. We looked dodgy at the back too and the long ball up to clarke was appalling .
    Kildare are a decent side who had a bad run of results
    I would be hopeful going to Galway next weekend we need a bit of luck and we might get something. We should have had our under 21 players available as kildare had lads that played midweek and didn't wrap them in cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cormack Reilly does not like Cavan and has history in the U.21's against you.
    Remember the Roscommon game a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Last week we had an Armagh ref refereeing Down and Cavan. This week it's a Meath man refereeing Cavan and Kildare. It's ridiculous. Why not go down thd country and get someone from Cork or Clare or somewhere?

What was Reilly even sent off for? I was in the terrace and nobody around us knew.

Regardless, the ref was poor but I think we're papering over the cracks if we blame him. There's a big problem with our forward line.

Yesterday evening we'd spend ten minutes of hard grafting to get a score and Kildare would run down the pitch and pop over a point a minute after we got our score - and the lads on the Kildare thread were saying they'd struggle to see where the points would come from!

Argue and Moynagh both came on last night and neither looked match ready. Moynagh wouldn't have been near the pitch had Josh Hayes not walked this week.

Management need to approach some of the lads that left and make a concerted effort to get them back. Eugene Keating is vital for me. Niall McDermott plays his heart out but we need another ball winner in the top half.

It's a desperate state of affairs when your heat threat for a score from play is a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

tanko wrote: »
    Another game without scoring a goal. Who got sent off for Cavan? The game against Westmeath is going to be crucial now.

Cavan are the only team in all four divisions without a goal. And they have conceded six.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/results/gaa/allianz-football-league/26056/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Just saw the highlights of the game there, the sending off probably decided the game. Damien Reilly pushed his hand into the Kildare lads face so I don't think he can have any complaints. It looked like the ref missed the incident but was told about it by one of the umpires.
    It was poor to concede a goal after the penalty was saved. For the final pass leading up to this goal a Kildare player held the ball in one hand and fisted it with the same hand. Is this legal?
    I know we're stuck for forwards but it's a waste playing Killian clarke in there. Argue looked like he was barely able to walk after coming on. Hopefully Gearoid can stay fit we'd really be in trouble without his scores.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Just saw the highlights of the game there, the sending off probably decided the game. Damien Reilly pushed his hand into the Kildare lads face so I don't think he can have any complaints. It looked like the ref missed the incident but was told about it by one of the umpires.
    It was poor to concede a goal after the penalty was saved. For the final pass leading up to this goal a Kildare player held the ball in one hand and fisted it with the same hand. Is this legal?
    I know we're stuck for forwards but it's a waste playing Killian clarke in there. Argue looked like he was barely able to walk after coming on. Hopefully Gearoid can stay fit we'd really be in trouble without his scores.

Kildare'a better forwards decided the game tbh. They kicked so e great scores in the second half.

Some strange results in the division today with Laois beating Roscommon and Diwn winning away in Galway.

I'd imagine we're favourites for the drop now. Very disappointing to think the answer to our current problems is a player who walked away from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

How many members has Club Breifne got? The county board do not seem to know. I spoke to some people on Saturday night that went to the game early.When they got there there was a area of white seats and five seats across towards the 3G pitch were cornered off for the game for Club Breifne. People started sitting in seats outside the designated area. About ten minutes stewards came up and moved people from their seats as they wanted to increase the Club Breifne area. This should not have happened. Surly they know how many members they have and allocate the seats accordingly so. They had 120 seats reserved at first and they increased it by a further 35. Was there a last minute rush on Saturday night with people signing up??? Its more of the same looking after their mates who couldn't be bothered to arrive in time to get a seat.

How many members has Club Breifne got? The county board do not seem to know. I spoke to some people on Saturday night that went to the game early.When they got there there was a area of white seats and five seats across towards the 3G pitch were cornered off for the game for Club Breifne. People started sitting in seats outside the designated area. About ten minutes stewards came up and moved people from their seats as they wanted to increase the Club Breifne area. This should not have happened. Surly they know how many members they have and allocate the seats accordingly so. They had 120 seats reserved at first and they increased it by a further 35. Was there a last minute rush on Saturday night with people signing up??? Its more of the same looking after their mates who couldn't be bothered to arrive in time to get a seat.

You should change your name to "Blue in the Face" and I should change mine to "Red in the face" after yesterday.
    Not easy being a supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Jampip wrote: »
    Last week we had an Armagh ref refereeing Down and Cavan. This week it's a Meath man refereeing Cavan and Kildare. It's ridiculous. Why not go down thd country and get someone from Cork or Clare or somewhere?

What was Reilly even sent off for? I was in the terrace and nobody around us knew.

Regardless, the ref was poor but I think we're papering over the cracks if we blame him. There's a big problem with our forward line.

Yesterday evening we'd spend ten minutes of hard grafting to get a score and Kildare would run down the pitch and pop over a point a minute after we got our score - and the lads on the Kildare thread were saying they'd struggle to see where the points would come from!

Argue and Moynagh both came on last night and neither looked match ready. Moynagh wouldn't have been near the pitch had Josh Hayes not walked this week.

Management need to approach some of the lads that left and make a concerted effort to get them back. Eugene Keating is vital for me. Niall McDermott plays his heart out but we need another ball winner in the top half.

It's a desperate state of affairs when your heat threat for a score from play is a midfielder.

This week we have a Lsois man reffing us V Galway!!!

I heard the Mcrory cup final is on in Armagh on paddy's day at 3 o clock. Is this right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Its on at 1:15 on St Patricks Day

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Its on at 1:15 on St Patricks Day

Do the BBC still show these matches? They used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Do the BBC still show these matches? They used to.
    tis
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n7x1y

and available online to those "in the UK" here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone
    when you change region to Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

This week we have a Lsois man reffing us V Galway!!!

Honestly? Ah come on now. All we need is a Monaghan ref for one of our last games so :)

Honestly? Ah come on now. All we need is a Monaghan ref for one of our last games so :)

I think our problems lie closer to home than the allegiances of referees.
    We need a bit of luck this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I was being flippant, hence the smiley face

We have our well identified scoring problems, but could do with some luck as well- certainly have had none in the last 2 games. Due some now. And we need it too.

I don't see why Clarke was being used as the big man up front last week. He's not a forward. If you want to put someone up there, I think it should be Gearoid.

I'm not sure he's mobile enough for midfield at times. His place for me is on the 40 or full forward because he's well fit to take a score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I don't see why Clarke was being used as the big man up front last week. He's not a forward. If you want to put someone up there, I think it should be Gearoid.

I'm not sure he's mobile enough for midfield at times. His place for me is on the 40 or full forward because he's well fit to take a score.

Clarke plays in the forwards for Shercock AFAIK. I think Clarke was the better option there as the best bits of Gearoid are his fielding and driving forward to kick a score. He's still coming back from a serious injury and missed a lot of ball - he'll get better and better.

We never got to see how Clarke would have done there because of Damien's brainfart meaning he had to come back to the middle of the field. I was disappointed with how Michael Argue done there as I think he could well be the man to play that position come championship time.

Big game tomorrow in Galway.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Clarke plays in the forwards for Shercock AFAIK. I think Clarke was the better option there as the best bits of Gearoid are his fielding and driving forward to kick a score. He's still coming back from a serious injury and missed a lot of ball - he'll get better and better.

We never got to see how Clarke would have done there because of Damien's brainfart meaning he had to come back to the middle of the field. I was disappointed with how Michael Argue done there as I think he could well be the man to play that position come championship time.

Big game tomorrow in Galway.

I always thought he and Sankey were midfield for Shercock. Re Gearoid, against a few of the better midfielders he has lacked mobility this year. I'm beginning to think he's a bit too big and awkward.

Argue clearly lacked match practice. It'd make you wonder why we don't just let our county lads play with their club teams.

Same team out today bar two changes. Jack Brady and Moynagh in for Reilly and Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Can't say I was expecting much today. Especially at half time but that was a great win today in Galway. Fantastic comeback. Are we staying up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Fantastic result. Especially given the half time score.

irish_man wrote: »
    Can't say I was expecting much today. Especially at half time but that was a great win today in Galway. Fantastic comeback. Are we staying up?

A win against Westmeath and we should stay up. Fantastic result today. Didn't expect it at all. To think we missed a penalty as well.

Speaking to a man who was at it and he said Martin Dunne, despite the missed pen, was super after not featuring at all last week.

The boys on Northern Sound were praising management for getting it rigt by moving Martin Reilly into the half back line at half time.

spoke to a number of people who were at it at half time and while we were well behind they felt we were still in it ,
    thankfully a brilliant second half display helped by some wayward galway shooting at crucial times (i know we missed our fair share too )

we now have a realistic chance of staying up and if we get a result against westmeath who knows what else

i think we got that little bit of luck we were due today too

now hopefully our under 21s can get the ball rolling on wednesday night

Great result today, maybe we should play all our games away from Breffni Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

cavan4sam wrote: »
    spoke to a number of people who were at it at half time and while we were well behind they felt we were still in it ,
    thankfully a brilliant second half display helped by some wayward galway shooting at crucial times (i know we missed our fair share too )

we now have a realistic chance of staying up and if we get a result against westmeath who knows what else

i think we got that little bit of luck we were due today too

now hopefully our under 21s can get the ball rolling on wednesday night

War of attrition at times. lots of turnovers. Galways defence in the first half was very good and we couldnt break them down. Our play too slow. Second half we upped the intensity big time. The Galway shooting in the second half was very poor but we had them under intense pressure. Dunne very good but penalty miss was woeful. Ronan Flanagan carried off when he got black card. Either severe cramp or pulled calf muscle by the looks of it

A win against Westmeath and we should stay up. Fantastic result today. Didn't expect it at all. To think we missed a penalty as well.

Speaking to a man who was at it and he said Martin Dunne, despite the missed pen, was super after not featuring at all last week.

The boys on Northern Sound were praising management for getting it rigt by moving Martin Reilly into the half back line at half time.

A win against Westmeath and we definitely stay up because we'll have 7 points. Kildare 2 games left so can only get to 6 points. Westmeath on 4 points and if we beat them they'll only be able to get to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

No serious knee damage to Ronan, but a deep gash under the kneecap required stitching. Heard Terry H. say after the match that Killian Clarke who traveled with the team will be out for 4/5 weeks, Also heard that David Gibney is only now getting his ankle sorted out...sounds to me this guy is lazy and not committed to assisting his team mates. Keating is looking after his job which you cant fault as he is circa 27 years old.
    Great 2 half from the lads in particular all the backs winning dirty ball. Moving Niall McKieran out the the field did the trick as he looked more comfortable and dangerous running at their defense a laying of balls to Dunne , Fitzpatrick and Brady while he was on. The couple of weeks off for Dunne on the bench did the trick, 3 great scores from acute angles. Gearoid and Mossy worked their socks off. There was a great battle all through game between Fergal Flanagan and big Paul Conroy from Galway. Anyway delighted with the win and get 2 important points.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Three excellent points by your player Dunne, not a bad sub to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Dunne's 3 points were outstanding, no other player on the pitch today capable of such accuracy. I didn't think the penalty was that bad, he hit it low and hard to the corner, took a great save from the Keeper.
    Mossy Corr was excellent, there's certainly room for a work horse like that! Gearoid played very well, McLoughlin kept tabs on Cummins fairly well for the most part. Rory Dunne looks every bit the quality full back we were lacking for so many years.
    Mackey still a shadow of the player he was in 2013.. Casting a bigger shadow these days though he looks like he could do with losing a stone. Understandable given that he's probably been very limited in his training with injury.

• Advertisement

No serious knee damage to Ronan, but a deep gash under the kneecap required stitching. Heard Terry H. say after the match that Killian Clarke who traveled with the team will be out for 4/5 weeks, Also heard that David Gibney is only now getting his ankle sorted out...sounds to me this guy is lazy and not committed to assisting his team mates. Keating is looking after his job which you cant fault as he is circa 27 years old.
    Great 2 half from the lads in particular all the backs winning dirty ball. Moving Niall McKieran out the the field did the trick as he looked more comfortable and dangerous running at their defense a laying of balls to Dunne , Fitzpatrick and Brady while he was on. The couple of weeks off for Dunne on the bench did the trick, 3 great scores from acute angles. Gearoid and Mossy worked their socks off. There was a great battle all through game between Fergal Flanagan and big Paul Conroy from Galway. Anyway delighted with the win and get 2 important points.

Niall McKiernan? Eugene Keating was U21 in 2010 so he is certainly not 27, more 24/25.

Advertisement