Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Martin Dunne isn't good enough either. He let you down tonight with his fumbling and poor passing. Watched it on Setanta and the conditions were awful but Down adapted much better.

Yeah I thought the same. When the conditions are like that he's just too light. He might be good enough in summer time with light ground but as it is he just isn't tough enough or strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Martin Dunne isn't good enough either. He let you down tonight with his fumbling and poor passing. Watched it on Setanta and the conditions were awful but Down adapted much better.

What had they to say about the sending off? I thought it was very harsh. Surprised nobody had mentioned it here yet. I'd a great view of both tackles by Flanagan and didn't think the first was a yellow at all.

Re Dunne, he's been living off that Armagh game for far too long now. Like a former Cavan player and club mate of his who I expect to hear a lot about this week given the next fixture, I think he's a good Div 3 or 4 forward but clearly not able to cut it against the better sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jampip wrote: »
    What had they to say about the sending off? I thought it was very harsh. Surprised nobody had mentioned it here yet. I'd a great view of both tackles by Flanagan and didn't think the first was a yellow at all.

Re Dunne, he's been living off that Armagh game for far too long now. Like a former Cavan player and club mate of his who I expect to hear a lot about this week given the next fixture, I think he's a good Div 3 or 4 forward but clearly not able to cut it against the better sides.

Commentators always seem to agree with the ref's decisions, probably have to in fairness.
    I didn't think either were yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Absolutely diabolical evening for football so impossible to draw many conclusions from that game. You'd want your head examined being out in that, but according to the annoucement, there was over 2,400 brave/foolish souls there

Anyways, some thoughts. Sending off completely changed the game. We had done well to limit Down to 6 pts in the 1st half playing with that gale and roared back into it in the 2nd half. Flanagan was probably our best player at that stage and there was real damage being done down the right flank with Mc Laughlin and Mc Dermott. Neither was a booking and the second one was so poor that most people in the terrace didn't even twig that a red card had been issued. GAA fans tend not to ever blame a sending off as being crucial, but that was.

It was always going to be tight and that sloppy goal completely killed us.

Not wanting to single out players but our subs didn't do anything- in fact, they were so far off the pace, they actually hindered us in most of our attacks. And as mentioned before, Martin Dunne was completely at sea as a target in those conditions- he just hasn't the pace or strength for that sort of night where he was struggling to keep his footing let alone hold off a marker. Mc Dermott did much, much better and again, we lacked someone with power in there.

I thought that for long spells Mc Kiernan was invisible and given the breeze whether we could have put him or Clarke inside for some catching ability.

Still, very disappointing. Before the sending off i was convinced we would kick on & win and for the majority of the game were well worth at least a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

tayto lover and keep the faith you both seam to have an anti Cavan Gaels agenda.You were rightly so unhappy with the team performance on Saturday night but you can only pick out two Gaels players to individually criticise. Then to add to it you mention another who is not even on the panel.
    What you never mentioned was that Martin Dunne was the only forward who scored from play Saturday night. Forwards are meant to get the scores so why not criticise the other four forwards??????

• Advertisement

tayto lover and keep the faith you both seam to have an anti Cavan Gaels agenda.You were rightly so unhappy with the team performance on Saturday night but you can only pick out two Gaels players to individually criticise. Then to add to it you mention another who is not even on the panel.
    What you never mentioned was that Martin Dunne was the only forward who scored from play Saturday night. Forwards are meant to get the scores so why not criticise the other four forwards??????

I think you're being a bit sensitive here. There's no anti Gaels agenda. The fact is the two Gaels players in the full forward line were poor on Saturday evening. Lyng to be fair was never put in there to score but his general play was poor. I'd agree Martin Reilly had a poor game by his standards and Paul Smith was virtually non existent. That said, Dunne is the only player who was played to score and he got one point from play. It wasn't enough. You talk about the only scoring forward from play, how many frees did McDermott win? McDermott had a far superior game to Dunne.

Let's hope we can move on against Kildare this weekend and shake off that performance. Despite the weather at the minute, its predicting decent conditons for this weekend so that should help. I wasn't at the Roscommon or Laois games but speaking to people who were they said last weekend was a poor performance compared to those so hopefully we can get back to that level from the first two games.

You learn more from your losses than you do from your wins and let's hope that's our lesson learned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Anyone who was at the games this year will agree that in the 3 games so far Martin Dunne has been a passenger.....it wasnt just the conditions. Biggest weak link in the team at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sorry if you got that impression.
    I mentioned Dunne because I read so much about him over the last few years. He didn't impress me on Sat night. In the first half he got a lot of the ball but fumbled it, was dispossessed or just gave it away. He was very poor.
    He did get 1 point from play in the second half but was still very poor. I expected him to lead the line but he was very disappointing. I actually thought he was timid and easy to mark. I expected him to be a leader but he was far from that.

Sorry if you got that impression.
    I mentioned Dunne because I read so much about him over the last few years. He didn't impress me on Sat night. In the first half he got a lot of the ball but fumbled it, was dispossessed or just gave it away. He was very poor.
    He did get 1 point from play in the second half but was still very poor. I expected him to lead the line but he was very disappointing. I actually thought he was timid and easy to mark. I expected him to be a leader but he was far from that.

Dunne is anything but a leader. He's been living off the reputation of that televised Armagh game from two years ago for the 24 months since now. Even that day, alot of the work was done for him by Keating and Mackey winning the ball and getting it to him to score.

This Saturday is a big game for both Cavan and Kildare. Win and we're pretty much guaranteed to stay up. Lose and we'll be favourites to go down.

Hayes and Tinnelly have opted out of the panel. Not good. Hayes I'm particularly annoyed about.

Very good footballer who was used poorly. Brought on after 37 minutes of the second half against Laois and got a similar run out against Down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Yesterdays Irish Independent

If Cavan manager Terry Hyland were running an economy, he would deploy a low-spend, low-tax model.

That's the obvious conclusion to be reached from some remarkable scoring trends produced by his squad over recent seasons. By the time they line up against Kildare in Kingspan Breffni Park on Saturday evening, they will have gone seven hours and 12 minutes without scoring a league goal.

Their last league goal came against Longford in the Round 5 of last year's campaign. Since then, they have drawn a blank against Roscommon (twice) and Limerick in Division 3 and against Roscommon, Laois and Down in Division 2 this season.

They scored one goal in three championship outings last year against Armagh, Westmeath and Roscommon, having earlier hit a total of four goals in eight league games.

The goal shyness goes back to 2013 when they scored four goals in their last six league games before notching another four in seven championship games. Even then, one of the championship goals was scored in extra-time against Derry.

Excluding that goal, it leaves Cavan's total for their last 27 league and championship ties at 12. That's an average of one goal every two hours and 37 minutes.

The goal-shortage saga is completed by Cavan's failure to score two goals in a league or championship game since the opening round (v Antrim) of the 2013 league. Ironically, they lost that game, whereas they have done well overall since then.

Promotion

They reached the 2013 All-Ireland quarter-final for the first time and clinched promotion to Division 2 last year. And while they lost to Down last Saturday, they had taken three of a possible four points in the first two rounds, keeping them very much in the promotion race.

While Cavan's goal rate has been very low, the defensive side of their game remains impressively solid. Their average giveaway in three league games this year was 13.3 points. They were even meaner in Division 3 last year, conceding a total of 1-67 (70 points) in seven games before Roscommon enjoyed more freedom against them in the final in Croke Park, scoring 1-17.

Striking the balance between building a secure defence while also releasing enough energy to power the attacking generator remains a big test for Hyland if Cavan are to advance in the manner the supporters expect after watching so much fine U-21 talent emerge over recent years.

Four successive Ulster U-21 titles have come Cavan's way since 2011, raising hopes in the county that presenting the Sam Maguire Cup to a fellow-county man will be one of happy duties for new GAA president Aogan O Fearghail.

Former Mayo star Liam McHale is working with Cavan this year and, presumably, increasing the goal rate will be on his agenda after such a long low-yield run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

"Raising hopes that Cavan will win Sam in the next few years":eek:. Jaysus, who wrote that rubbish. I'd be delighted if Cavan manage to stay in division two and get to the ulster final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Looking forward to the Kildare match tomorrow evening however with some trepidation as I fear we could be the ones to get a backlash for some of their ( Kildare) poor results to-date. Again wind and rain are promised which wont help our cause. We could really do with some of the U21's playing to freshen up our attack options. Have they been playing an further games since the Hastings Cup defeats ? A run out for half a game would give them match fitness with the Donegal match to come.
    Anyway ,I feel tomorrow is a must win game or we are starting the slide back into Div 3 football. We most be the worst county in Ireland for players opting out of panels. In my opinion the recent 2 players to go would not be on my first 15 to start but are still good enough players to have in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Jampip wrote: »
    Hayes and Tinnelly have opted out of the panel. Not good. Hayes I'm particularly annoyed about.

Very good footballer who was used poorly. Brought on after 37 minutes of the second half against Laois and got a similar run out against Down.

Which hayes ? Joshua is doing final exams in medicine at the minute so that explains his absence. Tinnelly never got much of a run .
    Where is that big leddy lad ? He could be an option on the square

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Which hayes ? Joshua is doing final exams in medicine at the minute so that explains his absence. Tinnelly never got much of a run .
    Where is that big leddy lad ? He could be an option on the square

Packie Leddy? He's in the US.

Hammar wrote: »
    Packie Leddy? He's in the US.

Yeah thats the lad . Thats a pity i wondered where he went ?

Does anyone know the venue for the under 21 game v donegal ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Yeah thats the lad . Thats a pity i wondered where he went ?

Does anyone know the venue for the under 21 game v donegal ?

I think it's in Ballybofay, couldn't be any further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

tanko wrote: »
    I think it's in Ballybofay, couldn't be any further away.
    It could!
    If they had it in Gweedore or the likes then you'd have a complaint.
    But that's their most developed county ground so by default is the venue, and in donegal terms is not so far from the rest of Ulster

It could!
    If they had it in Gweedore or the likes then you'd have a complaint.
    But that's their most developed county ground so by default is the venue, and in donegal terms is not so far from the rest of Ulster

Ah I know, was only joking. I've no problem with Ballybofey, May the best team win.

Ah I know, was only joking. I've no problem with Ballybofey, May the best team win.

But didn't donegal play in ballyshannon against cork ? Must not have floodlights there

• Advertisement

One change, Barry Reilly in for Lyng.

A Meath ref. this will go well....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Cavan playing well a man down. Kildare look very dangerous though and will have a big wind in the second half. Ref again is terrible, the ball went wide and there was a foul handpass in the run up to the Kildare goal. The lads are playing well and giving it everything but being down to 14 against the wind and just a point in front, it's a massive ask.

Cavan playing well a man down. Kildare look very dangerous though and will have a big wind in the second half. Ref again is terrible, the ball went wide and there was a foul handpass in the run up to the Kildare goal. The lads are playing well and giving it everything but being down to 14 against the wind and just a point in front, it's a massive ask.

Without going conspiracy theory, we had a poor ref last week & while I'm not at this weeks game & reduced to northern sound, it sounds like we're not getting any favours again

Another game without scoring a goal. Who got sent off for Cavan? The game against Westmeath is going to be crucial now.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Another game without scoring a goal. Who got sent off for Cavan? The game against Westmeath is going to be crucial now.

Damien Reilly sent of. Cormac Reilly a disgrace. Cavan player was picking ball up and it hit him and went to Kildare player for goal. In 2nd half happened opposite way and he threw it up. Kildare no 9 hit a clear box and nothing. Jack away in 2nd half. No advantage. McEnroe class and McVeety. Good performance considering.

Damien Reilly sent of. Cormac Reilly a disgrace. Cavan player was picking ball up and it hit him and went to Kildare player for goal. In 2nd half happened opposite way and he threw it up. Kildare no 9 hit a clear box and nothing. Jack away in 2nd half. No advantage. McEnroe class and McVeety. Good performance considering.

Sounds like the ref had a great game

For Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sounds like the ref had a great game

For Kildare

Everything went against us from the ref. In the end the extra man killed us but some positives to take from the performance. I thought we had learned our lesson about discipline. Unfortunately Damien has that in his game and nit the first he has cost us a game with a stupid sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Everything went against us from the ref. In the end the extra man killed us but some positives to take from the performance. I thought we had learned our lesson about discipline. Unfortunately Damien has that in his game and nit the first he has cost us a game with a stupid sending off.

Didn't see what happened but talking to people watching on tv said very harsh. A lot of positives. Ran out of steam playing with 14 for so long. Lads out on their feet. How Kildare 9 got away with box I don't know. Georoid was visibly dizzy after it. McVeety should never have being took of.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »

It may be ill disciple but that's 2 weeks on the trot that winnable home games have gone against us due to horrendous refereeing decisions.

So we've gone from a decent chance of promotion to a relegation battle. And at the end of the season "the league table doesn't lie" line will be trotted out- and the dodgy decisions that impacted on them will be forgotten

Advertisement