Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I don't think the current crop fear monaghan as they have beaten them at many levels .if we can beat them i do think we have a realistic chance of competing for ulster honours . We really need to start scoring goals .
    Didn't make the game today so I'm curious as to why dunne was taken off ...also (not complaining ) why was gilsenan dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Tom Joad wrote: »
    So much hinges on the Monaghan game. Win that and I think we could get very close to winning Ulster. We could get to a quarter final again even if we lose Ulster final.

On the other hand if we lose to Monaghan we could go out of the qualifiers with a whimper and there would be real pressure on management.

The Monaghan game is absolutely massive for this team. I'm excited and terrified in equal measure about that game.

Consolidating our position in the league is a good positive return from the league.

Re management, the expectation is that Terry will be bowing out no matter how the Championship goes. The majority of this team have been listening to him since 2010 when he was U21 manager and a selector with Val so he's had a good crack at it now.

I'm a huge fan and greatly appreciate what he has done but the fact is that our strength in depth has been greatly reduced by the number of players who have left the panel. We would have been in a far better position today had the likes of Hayes, Keating, Tinnelly or Givney been available to come on.

The other factor is that he himself has out in a huge amount of work for five years now and he has businesses to run.

My one worry is that the county board will just give the job to McHale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ye could do a lot worse than McHale. Hopefully ye don't have the good sense to go after him and McStay because they'd be fine pairing for us when Evans is finished.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ye could do a lot worse than McHale. Hopefully ye don't have the good sense to go after him and McStay because they'd be fine pairing for us when Evans is finished.

I'd prefer him as a team with McStay though. My hope was that he'd been brought in to pave the way for that. I doubt Evans will be moving on from Roscommon any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jampip wrote: »
    I'd prefer him as a team with McStay though. My hope was that he'd been brought in to pave the way for that. I doubt Evans will be moving on from Roscommon any time soon.

I'd be happily surprised if he signs up for a new term after the current one expires at the end of the 2016 season. He has a six hour round-trip from Killorglin three times a week and it took a wee bit of convincing to sign up for two more years last Autumn. I imagine if he continues it would only be for an extra year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Much has been made about our lack of goals, Meath won the game yesterday with two fisted points, had we shown composure and settled for the easy point with a couple of the goal chances we had minutes earlier we would have won. That should be a lesson for us.

We have to beat Monaghan, if we do Fermanagh or Antrim will be all that stand between us and an Ulster final. Whoever comes through the other side to reach the final will have really earned it and will be very hard to beat. Even if we lose, the experience of a senior Ulster final will be great for the team and another step forward.

Its a pity Hayes didn't get more times yesterday, he needs the experience. Dunne didn't have the shooting boots on and we need Hayes as a like for like replacement who can slot into that role without disrupting the team. Dunne is there to put the ball over the bar and if that is not happening for him we need someone who can step in. That shouldn't mean throwing the baby out with the bath water and putting a big man on the square like we did in Armagh last year which plays inot. the hands of many Ulster teams.

McEnroe should not have been taken off yesterday, the defence fell apart when he left. Add Clarke to the backs and they will be a decent unit and should be able to cope with Monaghan forwards. Our midfield has looked good, even yesterday Gearoid was quiet but Mossy picked up the slack. If both play well we should be able to win that sector plus we can introduce Argue to freshen things up.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Much has been made about our lack of goals, Meath won the game yesterday with two fisted points, had we shown composure and settled for the easy point with a couple of the goal chances we had minutes earlier we would have won. That should be a lesson for us.

We have to beat Monaghan, if we do Fermanagh or Antrim will be all that stand between us and an Ulster final. Whoever comes through the other side to reach the final will have really earned it and will be very hard to beat. Even if we lose, the experience of a senior Ulster final will be great for the team and another step forward.

Its a pity Hayes didn't get more times yesterday, he needs the experience. Dunne didn't have the shooting boots on and we need Hayes as a like for like replacement who can slot into that role without disrupting the team. Dunne is there to put the ball over the bar and if that is not happening for him we need someone who can step in. That shouldn't mean throwing the baby out with the bath water and putting a big man on the square like we did in Armagh last year which plays inot. the hands of many Ulster teams.

McEnroe should not have been taken off yesterday, the defence fell apart when he left. Add Clarke to the backs and they will be a decent unit and should be able to cope with Monaghan forwards. Our midfield has looked good, even yesterday Gearoid was quiet but Mossy picked up the slack. If both play well we should be able to win that sector plus we can introduce Argue to freshen things up.

I really think people in the county are under estimating Monaghan. They'll be coming off the back of a highly successful Division 1 campaign. The big difference they have is McManus also. Our best man marker McLoughlin couldn't cope with him in Clones two years ago. He was the piece of class that differentiated the teams then and sadly I expect the same again this Summer.

In fairness, I can see why management stuck with Dunne. He often has bad days but he can turn them round. Yesterday wasn't one. I was heartened by the overall display though. I really feel we left that game behind us which isn't like this panel of players. Gearoid and Mossy are the perfect midfield pairing for me. Corr is the unsung hero of the team. He was missed last Summer.

Re McEnroe, he is onlycoming back from injury so that is the only reason I can imagine that he was taken off. A Meath man actually said to me walking out of the ground that he thought Rory Dunne was the tidiest and best footballer on the pitch.

Going into Monaghan, I'd be looking at:

Farrelly
    McLoughlin
    Dunne
    K. Clarke
    F. Flanagan
    J. McEnroe
    Damien Reilly
    G. McKiernan
    T. Corr
    M. Reilly
    R. Flanagan
    D. McVeety
    N. McDermott
    M. Dunne
    C. Mackey

Leaves Argue, Hayes and Killian Brady on the bench. There's a very strong spine to that team IMO with Dunne, McEnroe and the two lads at midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Cavan played New York in the early hours of the morning and won 1-15 to 0-15. Half Time New York 0-10 Cavan 0-7

Cavan Team was
    1 Ray Galligan
    2 James Morris
    3 Killian Brady
    4 Ciaran Brady
    5 Brian Sanky
    6 Conor Moynagh
    7 Niall Murray
    8 Michael Argue
    9 Liam Buchanan
    10Paul Smith
    11 Barry Reilly
    12 Mark Mc Keever
    13 Jack Brady
    14 Tom Hayes
    15 Enda Reilly.

Subs Used: Bud Fitzpatrick, Thomas Corr, Martin Reilly, Fergal Flanagan,Damien Reilly,Chris Conway.

Scorers: M Argue 1-1,M. Reilly 0-3 (1 Free),J Brady 0-3 (3 Frees), C Brady 0-2,C.Conway 0-2, B Reilly 0-1,B Fitzpatrick 0-1,E Reilly 0-1,C Moynagh 0-1.

Cavan played New York in the early hours of the morning and won 1-15 to 0-15. Half Time New York 0-10 Cavan 0-7

Cavan Team was
    1 Ray Galligan
    2 James Morris
    3 Killian Brady
    4 Ciaran Brady
    5 Brian Sanky
    6 Conor Moynagh
    7 Niall Murray
    8 Michael Argue
    9 Liam Buchanan
    10Paul Smith
    11 Barry Reilly
    12 Mark Mc Keever
    13 Jack Brady
    14 Tom Hayes
    15 Enda Reilly.

Subs Used: Bud Fitzpatrick, Thomas Corr, Martin Reilly, Fergal Flanagan,Damien Reilly,Chris Conway.

Scorers: M Argue 1-1,M. Reilly 0-3 (1 Free),J Brady 0-3 (3 Frees), C Brady 0-2,C.Conway 0-2, B Reilly 0-1,B Fitzpatrick 0-1,E Reilly 0-1,C Moynagh 0-1.

Very much a B team. Will be interesting to see if the big guns are rolled out on Sunday for the second game. I'd imagine they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Hayes is a good young player, but he isn't a proflific scorer even at Club level. Didn't score against Donegal in the u21 game this yeqr,

Monaghan have McManus who is An All Star in the full forward line, thats the difference. While Keating is a loss, his shooting is erratic and not in McManus class.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    Hayes is a good young player, but he isn't a proflific scorer even at Club level. Didn't score against Donegal in the u21 game this yeqr,

Monaghan have McManus who is An All Star in the full forward line, thats the difference. While Keating is a loss, his shooting is erratic and not in McManus class.

i agree i think Hayes is overrated and hyped up
    I think we may have seen a Monaghan performance today to send the shivers up our spines. If they play like that we will not live with them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i agree i think Hayes is overrated and hyped up
    I think we may have seen a Monaghan performance today to send the shivers up our spines. If they play like that we will not live with them ...

Don't thing we will be fit for them they are one of the top four or 5 team in country and we are not even close to that level.

But in one off game you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Game is on Northern Sound I believe! Starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Yikes did not expect Monaghan to get so close to Dublin. I hope that due to being in the somewhat easier half of the Ulster Championship that Cavan will give the Monaghan game 100%. Otherwise its luck of the draw in the qualifiers. I would hope that after our league performance that we would be one of the lower teams in the top 10 (7th to 10th out of all Ireland)

Cavan winning by 5 at half time .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Cavan Beat New York last night in the 2nd match 3-13 To 0-11.

Cavan Team.
    1) Ray Gallaigan
    2)Fergal Flanagan
    3)Rory Dunne
    4)Killian Brady
    5)Paul Smith
    6)Niall Murrray
    7) Ciaran Brady
    8) mossy Corr
    9) Michael Argue
    10)Dara Me Vetty
    11) Barry Reilly
    12 Mark Mc Keever
    13 Cian Mackey
    14 Martin Dunne
    15 Martin Reilly.

The goals were scored by Martin Reilly 2 1 a penalty the other by Martin Dunne.

Good performance from Monaghan alright, they were In Portugal during the week so would have worked on a way to avoid another hammering.

Monaghan are still hit/miss at midfield, Clerkin came on and got 3 good points, but Cavan can well there. I thought in the Semi final in 2013 McManus and Colin Walshe were Monaghans best players and they both went on and won all stars that year...
    .walshe is only back in training after doing the cruciate against dublin last year, he is unlikely to start against Cavan. Martin dunne didn't get an inch against walshe,

Jampip wrote: »
    Re management, the expectation is that Terry will be bowing out no matter how the Championship goes. The majority of this team have been listening to him since 2010 when he was U21 manager and a selector with Val so he's had a good crack at it now.

I'm a huge fan and greatly appreciate what he has done but the fact is that our strength in depth has been greatly reduced by the number of players who have left the panel. We would have been in a far better position today had the likes of Hayes, Keating, Tinnelly or Givney been available to come on.

The other factor is that he himself has out in a huge amount of work for five years now and he has businesses to run.

My one worry is that the county board will just give the job to McHale.

Hayes is rejoining the panel when his exams are over in May. Givney is on crutches after the operation, wouldn't have been fit to play anyway.

Keating the only real significant loss. Maybe Alan Clarke too, but McEnroe can play Centre back and he is a better footballer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Hayes is rejoining the panel when his exams are over in May. Givney is on crutches after the operation, wouldn't have been fit to play anyway.

Keating the only real significant loss. Maybe Alan Clarke too, but McEnroe can play Centre back and he is a better footballer too.

Monaghan is a massive massive challenge in the first game. They looked very impressive against the Dubs. You would have to say they are a couple of years ahead of us in terms of development and have in McManus a player that we can only dream of having. Can only see the game going one way

I think Cavan have as good as players as Monaghan 1-12, maybe barring Colin Walshe, Kieran Hughes, but yeah McManus is the difference in the full forward line.

• Advertisement

i wouldn't be so sure about hayes coming back i too originally heard he left due to exams but have since heard he was fed up of getting very little game time .....I'd like to see him back along with keating if he has learned to pass the ball a little

Keating wasn't playing any Club football last year, the guy who was managing Sylvestesr got the sack and that left him in limbo, has he got a Club this year? He tried to transfer to Ramor last year, Cucu;s wouldn't take him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Keating wasn't playing any Club football last year, the guy who was managing Sylvestesr got the sack and that left him in limbo, has he got a Club this year? He tried to transfer to Ramor last year, Cucu;s wouldn't take him back.

He joined Kilmacud Crokes when he left Syls. I don't know how many games he has under his belt, but I was told by someone who saw one, that he was showing well and winning plenty of good ball against a tight defence. I'm not sure what he scored.

Right cheers.

You shouldn't believe every rumour you hear. Keating left Cucus on good terms. Sure Sylvesters offered him a full time job at the time as their strength and conditioning coach.

As for the players who've left, you are omitting Tinnelly and Kevin Tierney. Declan McKiernan is also apparently playing some great stuff for Killeshandra and banging over frees from all angles.

The fact is, when you look at some of the players who came on against Meath, our strength in depth has been effected greatly by those who have left the panel. I would have thrown on Tinnelly, Tierney or Hayes ahead of most of those who came on.

Hayes was a huge loss in the league. Conor Moynagh came on against Kildare when Gunner was injured and was way out of his depth, not to mention just coming back from Sigerson Cup celebrations.

Well I heard different, but anyway, I know they offered him work, but it was Deegan who got him the mive and then he was sacked at the end of that Year.

and I am aware I left out Tierney, he didn't make an impact on the Cavan Senior panel in my opinion. He started 4 games in the League last year and didnt impress, introduced in a few others.

Tinelly was a squad player, but he would same sort of player as Niall Murray ie, pacy run at defence so not a big loss. , McVeety is similiar too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Well I heard different, but anyway, I know they offered him work, but it was Deegan who got him the mive and then he was sacked at the end of that Year.

and I am aware I left out Tierney, he didn't make an impact on the Cavan Senior panel in my opinion. He started 4 games in the League last year and didnt impress, introduced in a few others.

Tinelly was a squad player, but he would same sort of player as Niall Murray ie, pacy run at defence so not a big loss. , McVeety is similiar too

I was under the impression that Tierney left the panel on good terms to go traveling this summer. No harm in some of the young lads taking a break, they've played a lot of football continually for years

Ideally a break would lead to less burn out later.

Yeah he is going to the States for the summer.

A lot of the players that left had reasons, it wasn't like they all fell out with the management. Alan Clarke was getting married, Keating was joining a new club and had big work commitements, Givney had a ankle problem and had to have to have an operation.

Hayes is in his final year in UCD, studing to be a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yeah he is going to the States for the summer.

A lot of the players that left had reasons, it wasn't like they all fell out with the management. Alan Clarke was getting married, Keating was joining a new club and had big work commitements, Givney had a ankle problem and had to have to have an operation.

Hayes is in his final year in UCD, studing to be a doctor.

There's a certain other Cavan gaa related forum/gathering of bitter trolls that would have you believe that all of those players "walked" (including a crocked Givney) as they had were disillusioned with Cavan"s style of play

Good to see a bit of common sense over here and a few facts as well- facts in the other place are like hen's teeth. It's vitriol & hyperbole or nothing at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

That forum you mention has gone ridiculous

Advertisement