Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Dunne's 3 points were outstanding, no other player on the pitch today capable of such accuracy. I didn't think the penalty was that bad, he hit it low and hard to the corner, took a great save from the Keeper.
    Mossy Corr was excellent, there's certainly room for a work horse like that! Gearoid played very well, McLoughlin kept tabs on Cummins fairly well for the most part. Rory Dunne looks every bit the quality full back we were lacking for so many years.
    Mackey still a shadow of the player he was in 2013.. Casting a bigger shadow these days though he looks like he could do with losing a stone. Understandable given that he's probably been very limited in his training with injury.

The world and his mother know that Dunne is a confidence player and when he is hot he is hot. Hopefully the break has done him the power of good and the management do their best to keep his confidence up.

Mackey is only coming back from a long time out so will only get better. I met him swimming in the last few weeks and he is in the shape of his life - not sure he has a stone to lose - I believe McHale has been working closely with him and he is flying in training. Maybe it's the jersey that makes him look that way but a few people that evening commented about how "ripped" he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Sorry about that Niall McDermott, He played a great part in our 2nd half revival in the 2nd half. Hope the management team leave him in the half-forward line for the last 2 remaining games. Thank god, Anthony stayed quite along the line compared to last week. Keep it up I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Tom Joad wrote: »
    The world and his mother know that Dunne is a confidence player and when he is hot he is hot. Hopefully the break has done him the power of good and the management do their best to keep his confidence up.

Mackey is only coming back from a long time out so will only get better. I met him swimming in the last few weeks and he is in the shape of his life - not sure he has a stone to lose - I believe McHale has been working closely with him and he is flying in training. Maybe it's the jersey that makes him look that way but a few people that evening commented about how "ripped" he was.

Really? I thought when I saw him the last two days out that he looked like he was carrying weight. At one stage yesterday I noted he looked to have lost that extra yard of pace that made him so dangerous last year. Perhaps I'm misjudging though.

What about Corr's point yesterday?! A beauty..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Just a reminder that St Pats are in the Mc Rory (Ulster top tier schools) final for the first time in 40 years later today, which is on tv/ online....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n7x1y

and available online to those "in the UK" here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone
    when you change region to Northern Ireland

pats cavan up 5 points to 2 after 25 minutes.
    Jaysus its hard to watch.
    Waaaaay too much handpassing from St pats Cavan, but Dungannon are sitting back with a blanket defence so not a lot of point in Pats Cavan horsing in a 50 50 ball only to loose it.

• Advertisement

Cavan have to continue to be patient.. If they can keep their noses in front they can afford to be patient. If they fall behind it will be extremely difficult to chase the game against that defensive system. Conaty is a big loss he was showing very well before the injury.

Galligan is cleaning up. Quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Brilliant result in the end, they rode their luck at times but kept plugging away. That Galligan lad is a class act, two lovely finishes by Donohoe, the apple didn't fall from far from the tree there!!

Congratulations St Pats, that's a great boost for young footballers in Cavan.

feckit. Pats deserved that and good that some of the cynical Tyrone crap there in the middle of the second half didnt swing it.

Pats best player Galligan was took out of it off the ball there, which with marginally more force added in could have had him injuired and out of the game.
    A few other trips and whatnot there in same period of the game by Dungannon, but thankfully wasnt rewarded.

Key possibly to the result was a black card for Dungannon nr 14 and captain, for (funny enough) a cynical off the ball body check, which rather than put Pats out of their rythm, left dungannon having to reorganise without one of their best players.

And the handpassing overdose from the first half was balanced by some deft footwork in the second by pats moving the ball on quickly, and one move resulting in a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oddly it was the kick passing that won this game for the Cavan side. Some lovely fast kick-passes resulted in the goals.
    Is there a lesson in this for Cavan seniors?

Very enjoyable game and good commentators who praised the young lads.
    Well deserved win for St. Pat's. Delighted for them.
    Young Galligan is going to be a great prospect for Cavan.

Great achievement by St. Pats and another important day for Cavan football. Some lovely footballers in that team Galligan, Brady and Donohoe in particular are classy footballers. Hopefully this will translate into a very competitive county minor team this year. Nice to see the conveyor belt of talent is starting again with another good team starting to come through.

I remember reading an article in the Celt about 7-8 years ago about what had gone wrong with football in St Pats and the principal of the school wrote into the Celt in response. Phenomenal achievement what has happened since. I have often heard the older generation say that the problems with Cavan football started when Pats stopped producing great teams after the mid seventies. Hopefully this is another sign that the future is bright for Cavan football.

Big day tomorrow for the under 21s in Ballybofey with a tough start against Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Dominant second half for Pats Cavan.

As far as I know, there's at least one Fermanagh minor on the team. I assume that the majority of the rest are from Cavan, but does anyone have the numbers?

Oddly it was the kick passing that won this game for the Cavan side. Some lovely fast kick-passes resulted in the goals.
    Is there a lesson in this for Cavan seniors?
    <snip>
    heres the 2 goals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhDIfjtoeIE

some incisive footpass there for the 2nd goal

Redsoxfan wrote: »

As far as I know, there's at least one Fermanagh minor on the team. I assume that the majority of the rest are from Cavan, but does anyone have the numbers?

I'm not 100% sure but I think young McManus is from Fermanagh (Teemore?) and the rest are from Cavan - a few would be over minor age too AFAIK.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Think this answers your question - has the clubs of all the players.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/03/18/4036406-macrory-cup-final-player-ratings/

St pats hasn't had boarders who lived full time in the college for over ten years at least. It's all day students now. When the boarders were there it was commonplace to have lads from Leitrim, Monaghan, Meath, Longford, sligo and other counties on the football teams.
    Tom Hayes, one of the best young footballers in the county goes to school in Monaghan town I think.

Best of luck to the U-21'S tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Is the game on radio anywhere?

Is the game on radio anywhere?

Just an odd update on northern sound I think. Maybe it's on highland radio?

Cavan lost 1-7 to 0-9. Ryan Mchugh with a goal in the last minute of injury time. Feck it.

Heartbreaking defeat. But I suppose we did something similar to them in last year's final. That's football.

Heartbreaking defeat. But I suppose we did something similar to them in last year's final. That's football.

Well put. Cruel on them but we have had a fantastic run at under 21 level and lots of very good footballers coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well put. Cruel on them but we have had a fantastic run at under 21 level and lots of very good footballers coming through.

Yep, harsh on our lads but Donegal will know what that feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Hard luck to the Cavan team. It was a great run at least in terms of the provincial competition. I wonder will many of the U21 panel be in Senior team by the time Championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I think we'll all agree that we've had an exceptional run at this level and heartbreaking as it is for this bunch of lads hopefully they'll bounce back and we'll have the good days again soon

Silver lining, we'll have Argue and Hayes back for the Seniors. Don't know who if anyone else could make the step up. Perhaps Faulkner would be useful cover to have and Gerry Smith offers a lot of the same attributes as McVeety. Madden will be touted but I don't think he's capable of making an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Silver lining, we'll have Argue and Hayes back for the Seniors. Don't know who if anyone else could make the step up. Perhaps Faulkner would be useful cover to have and Gerry Smith offers a lot of the same attributes as McVeety. Madden will be touted but I don't think he's capable of making an impact.

Have to agree with you here. The success we have at this level has been nothing short of exceptional and everyone involved over the years deserves credit for that. Tonight shows what a tough competition it is to win and the pressures of knockout football.

But I feel this could be a benefit to the seniors as the likes of Hayes, Argue and Ciaran Brady can get settled into the side and become valuable options come summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

tanko wrote: »
    St pats hasn't had boarders who lived full time in the college for over ten years at least. It's all day students now. When the boarders were there it was commonplace to have lads from Leitrim, Monaghan, Meath, Longford, sligo and other counties on the football teams.
    Tom Hayes, one of the best young footballers in the county goes to school in Monaghan town I think.

Best of luck to the U-21'S tonight

Pats closed for borders in 1999 so nearly 20 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Cian McManus went to National School in Bawnboy, so he went to Pats after that.
    No other Fermanagh players on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Hayes no longer in MacCartens , he is in UCD now. Not sure of the reason for him going to MacCartens, the brother Josh went to Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Big game Sat nite, hopefully a win and consolidate our place in Div 2 for next year. Will promotion is a possibility I would be happier staying in Div 2 next year.

Killian Clarke & Argue rumoured to be out but DOR and Ronan Flanagan back and available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Big game Sat nite, hopefully a win and consolidate our place in Div 2 for next year. Will promotion is a possibility I would be happier staying in Div 2 next year.

Killian Clarke & Argue rumoured to be out but DOR and Ronan Flanagan back and available

The annoying thing about staying in Division 2, while I'd prefer it than relegation, is that it's going to be like a mini Ulster championship. Down will most likely go up but you're looking at ourselves, Armagh, Fermanagh, Derry and two of Tyrone/Donegal all being in the Division.

I still think we could been promoted and I don't buy this reasoning that we're not fit for Division 1 yet. We aren't I agree but at least playing the best teams might develop the players more. One of the exciting things about this year's league was playing decent teams like Galway and Laois that we don't play often but there'll be little of that next year.

Advertisement