Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

I'm probably being a bit harsh on Rory Dunne. Last week he got a roasting in the first half but recovered well in second half. And I'd say Tom Hayes is the answer. I'd rather stay up in league than win another 21. Cian Mackey maybe also inside? He nearly back and doing full training.

I think we can compete well in the league without the U21s so I'd leave them where they are. We've a big enough panel to test others without needing them.

Mackey is an interesting option. The only thing about playing him inside is that you lose his running ability and the killer passes he can play. He really opens up defences running at them and creating space. His pass to Dunne for the goal against Fermanagh two years ago was pure class.

Where is Dara McVeety playing? I see he's named corner back but he can't be playing there. I presumed he was switching with Killian Brady and going into the half backs.

By all accounts, he has given two very good performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

McVeety was working in the half forward line last night. Won lots of balls he had no right to win and was wiry, scrappy and classy when he got on the ball. Killian Brady absolutely broke his man's heart last night, he just kept hitting him and hammering into him until it looked like he no longer wanted the ball.

I think Tom Hayes is the answer inside, if he was inside yesterday when Barry Reilly came on and was letting the ball in long I think he would have cleaned up. As it was, Dunne was a yard off the pace and was caught for speed and physicality. He's the best shooter on the team by some distance but he's too lightweight for a game like yesterdays. There's still room for a big full forward, a few high balls went into McDermott yesterday and he didn't make anything of them.

When Mackey comes back I can't see them putting him inside. You want him on the ball as much as possible, we've injected a lot of pace bursting forward and Mackey can only add to that. He makes things happen and I don't think we can afford to have him isolated inside for long periods with a limited number of possessions.

So Down at home next, then Kildare at home, Galway away, Westmeath at home, and Meath away. 3 points will hopefully see us to safety. If we can beat Down at home we can raise our expectations but safety is first and foremost.

Also fantastic to see such a large and vocal Cavan support in Portlaoise. Outnumbered Laois supporters too. A big crowd in Breffni for the next game will only help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

great win yesterday and the commentary on Northern Sound brought across the drama on the pitch brilliantly (although the lads are unbelievably biased)

Theres highlights on TG4 tomorrow evening. Theres a lot to be shown in the hours programme so who knows how much there'll actually be of the game. And knowing the way these things go, the games that folks have already seen in full live will take up 95% of the programme rather than show a decent amount of games that werent already on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
    Rory Dunne got a roasting last week too. Last years league final the same. So it's not that unusual. Martin Dunne gets roasted all the time. He's still living on the Armagh game two years ago. Great performance as well as win.

In fairness to Rory he took a heavy hit from Gilly for the Laois first goal. Gilly shouldn't have left his line.Martin Dunne is only back playing football in the last few weeks he hasnt played since the league last year. When the ground dry s up he will will be ok. I think we badly miss a player like Keating in the full forward line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

No internet access for last few days so late to the party!! Nice to see so much positivity on here. If you had offered me three points after two games I would have taken your hand off.

Too soon to get carried away (and I don't think anyone here is btw) but a good solid start to life in Division 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Tipping along nicely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderbirds View Post
    Rory Dunne got a roasting last week too. Last years league final the same. So it's not that unusual. Martin Dunne gets roasted all the time. He's still living on the Armagh game two years ago. Great performance as well as win.

In fairness to Rory he took a heavy hit from Gilly for the Laois first goal. Gilly shouldn't have left his line.Martin Dunne is only back playing football in the last few weeks he hasnt played since the league last year. When the ground dry s up he will will be ok. I think we badly miss a player like Keating in the full forward line.
    from tg4 tonight gilly shouldn't have left baileboro:)

.overall we looked good going forward and seemed to break quickly early days yet but 7 points and we could be safe but no easy games ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anyone a link to the highlights, cant seem to find them on the TG4 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

To be fair Laois were awful, and will be lucky to win a game in this Division

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its there now.
    http://www.tg4.tv/play.php?pid=4041661108001&title=GAA%202015&series=GAA%202015
    It doesnt work for me but that could be the work network or geoblocking of folks abroad. I'll try at home later.

• Advertisement

St Pats through to the McRory Cup semis. Comfortable win over St Eunans Letterkenny, 2-15 to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭rrs

Eunans were missing 4 players through suspension, doubt it would have been as comfortable otherwise. There was only 3pts in it , in the League game. Good to see them in the MacRory Semi for the second year in a row, likely to be playing Pats Maghera in Semi's.

DANSKE BANK MACRORY CUP QUARTER-FINAL

ST PATRICK’S, CAVAN 2-15 ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE 0-07

ST EUNAN’S were swept aside by ruthless St Patrick’s from Cavan in a one-sided MacRory Cup semi-final on Saturday at Dunmoyle, Tyrone.
    First-half goals by Thomas Galligan and Thomas Edward Donohue had the Cavan side 12 in front at the change over and the afternoon had long since become an ordeal for St Eunan’s.
    Galligan batted home in the eighth minute and Donohue’s strike late in the first half meant it was over as a contest when they parted for the interval.
    St Eunan’s cause wasn’t helped with the fact that four of their regular starters were confined to watching briefs. Team captain David Tyrell and Darragh McWalters were suspended following their respective sendings off against St Patrick’s, Armagh, in the play-off.
    A tempestous end to that game resulted in a post-match fracas and late in the week, St Eunan’s received confirmation that forwards Michael Miller and Oran Hilley had been handed retrospective suspensions.
    It left Gary McDaid without some of his more stellar performers and it didn’t help, either, that Donegal minor Rory Carr had been feeling the effects of a ‘flu in the build-up.
    Eunan’s were on the back foot from early on. Brian Sheanon opened the scoring after just 20 seconds, but it would be his only contribution having injured himself in the process.
    After Donoghue tapped over a free, St Patrick’s moved firmly into the ascendancy. Cian McManus and Matthew McKenna were at the hub of a move that cut St Eunan’s opened. From McKenna’s inviting ball, midfielder Galligan palmed to the net.
    By the time Niall O’Donnell opened the St Eunan’s account in the 13th minute, the Letterkenny school was trailing by six, with Brendan Argue’s fisted effort stretching the margin.
    Two superb long-range frees by Pierce Smith ticked the scoreboard along and, while St Eunan’s battled manfully through points from Carr, Caolan McDaid and Kevin Grant, St Patrick’s put the issue to bed with a late flurry at the end of the first half.
    The excellent Donohue polished off a neat move by beating Matthew Gallagher with a magnificent, powerful left-footed shot that flew across the Eunan’s netminder to the net.
    A Donoghue brace and another from Argue meant that St Patrick’s were 2-10 to 0-4 in front and left St Eunan’s staring at a cliff in the second half.
    Donohue (2) and Paul Leddy piled on further misery and the energy had been drained from St Eunan’s. Their misery was further compounded when Kevin Grant was sent off two minutes for the end having been given a second yellow card by referee Ciaran Brannigan.
    St Patrick’s head with menace to the semi-finals, while St Eunan’s brief appearance back in the MacRory Cup has come to an end, with the Letterkenny school set to return to competing in the MacLarnon Cup again next year.
    ST PATRICK’S, CAVAN: Fergal O’Rourke; Declan Lunney, Donal Monaghan, Luke Fortune; Darragh Kennedy (0-1), Cian McManus (0-1), John Joe McGovern; Thomas Galligan (1-0), Brendan Argue (0-2); Pierce Smith (0-5, 3f), Paul Leddy (0-1), Matthew McKenna; Brian Sheanon (0-1), Ben Conaty, Thomas Edward Donohue (1-4, 3f).
    Subs: Ryan O’Neill for Sheanon (5 mins), David Wilson for McGovern (40 mins), Barry McKiernan for Galligan (45 mins), Patrick O’Reilly for Fortune (45 mins), Conor Smith for Leddy (56 mins).
    ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE: Matthew Gallagher; Conor Morrison, Sean McDonagh, Cormac Callaghan; Connall O’Boyle, Paddy Diver, James McSharry; Oisin Shiels, Cormac Cannon; Kevin Grant (0-1), Niall O’Donnell (0-2), Caolan McDaid (0-3, 3f); Ciaran Kelly, Rory Carr (0-1), Ciaran Maloney.
    Subs: Michael Friel for O’Boyle (50 mins), Michael Patton for Kelly (54 mins), Ryan McLaughlin for Morrison (57 mins), Aaron Deeney for Carr (57 mins), Sean Halvey for McDonagh (58 mins).
    REFEREE: Ciaran Brannigan (Down).

rrs wrote: »
    Eunans were missing 4 players through suspension, doubt it would have been as comfortable otherwise. There was only 3pts in it , in the League game. Good to see them in the MacRory Semi for the second year in a row, likely to be playing Pats Maghera in Semi's.

I think it's an open draw, is it not?

Yeah open draw, bringing transistion year into Pats has helped them compete at MacRory level. The likes of Thomas Galligan and Pearse Smith would be no longer there otherwise. The Northern schools have sixth year and therefore always had the advantage over the Southern Schools, Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan.

This Pats team won the Rannafast and won't fear anyone left.

Thomas Edward Donohoe is Seamus Donohoe's son isn't he? He'd be a first cousin too of Damien Barkey that is on the Cavan senior panel.

Well done to St Josephs at the weekend. Wasnt at the match, but great achievement to get to an Ulster Final

A good achievment alright but hardly a great one, when it's 3 Clubs amalgamted.

I can't see St Josephs beating Watty Grahams.

Thats harsh.....3 small clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

A good achievment alright but hardly a great one, when it's 3 Clubs amalgamted.

I can't see St Josephs beating Watty Grahams.
    Why ??? That is the old cavan mentality. ...we must believe we can win at every level
    Best of luck st Josephs

• Advertisement

It's not a mentality thing, , Ciaran Brady the best player played a Trench Cup final yesterday and Semi on Friday.
    Watty Gramhams have been the team in Ulster for the past 4 years , winning 4 in a row at Minor level. This is first of those teams at u21 level.

Amalgamations are good to an extent, there is also win at all costs mentality where players lose out and give up football.

Watty Grahams 2-11 St Joesphs 0-7

They have a serious under age structure, thats why I couldn't see them getting beat. A lot of those lads were on the Maghera team that destroyed Pats Navan in the Hogan Cup final in 2013. Probaly the most complete performance I ever saw under age.

Watty Grahams 2-11 St Joesphs 0-7

They have a serious under age structure, thats why I couldn't see them getting beat. A lot of those lads were on the Maghera team that destroyed Pats Navan in the Hogan Cup final in 2013. Probaly the most complete performance I ever saw under age.

Would it be fair to say that they may also have a bigger catchment area than most clubs in Cava, even some amalgamations?

Team being named late again. I fear this evening's game will be a very poor spectacle. Our games against other Ulster teams generally are. I'm going and expect a big crowd.

Does anyone know is Laverty going to play for Down? I saw he got married last weekend.

Jampip wrote: »
    Team being named late again. I fear this evening's game will be a very poor spectacle. Our games against other Ulster teams generally are. I'm going and expect a big crowd.

Does anyone know is Laverty going to play for Down? I saw he got married last weekend.

Not sure if he is playing. Hopefully they all had a good session at the wedding. :)

Killian Clarke is a doubt for Cavan which would be a blow.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not sure if he is playing. Hopefully they all had a good session at the wedding. :)

Killian Clarke is a doubt for Cavan which would be a blow.

Only change is Lyng for McKeever but Terry may be up to his old tricks.

Some weather for the match. Will be hard to even stand on the terrace.

Jampip wrote: »
    Only change is Lyng for McKeever but Terry may be up to his old tricks.

Some weather for the match. Will be hard to even stand on the terrace.

He had flu all week but could be fine. The down team will be interesting.

Am down the country so will have to make do with the laptop:(

Would be grateful for a PM with a stream if anyone had one :)

Disappointing stuff. Felt at the end that we could have played for another hour and wouldn't have got the 4 points needed after the goal. Speaking of which, how the hell did Laverty I think it was get that much space to set up Poland?

The full forward line offered nothing bar Niall Mc. Subs were disappointing and made no impact.

Thought the sending off was harsh but Diwn the better team.

Kicking into the wind in the first half was a risk that didn't work because it wasn't as wild in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

We gambled with the wind and it didn't pay off. Them's the breaks. We were poor, conditions didn't help us at all but there were some awful handling errors and poor passing. Subs were awful. Lyng isn't good enough in my opinion. It's hard to tell too much from a game in that conditions though, there was a lot left up to chance tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We gambled with the wind and it didn't pay off. Them's the breaks. We were poor, conditions didn't help us at all but there were some awful handling errors and poor passing. Subs were awful. Lyng isn't good enough in my opinion. It's hard to tell too much from a game in that conditions though, there was a lot left up to chance tonight.

Martin Dunne isn't good enough either. He let you down tonight with his fumbling and poor passing. Watched it on Setanta and the conditions were awful but Down adapted much better.

Advertisement