Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    Now let us all refer to this post for ever and ever.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there lived a [man] by the name of Raam....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is there still a favourable wind this evening? I have only ever done this into a stiff breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is there still a favourable wind this evening? I have only ever done this into a stiff breeze.
    Not amazing so but decent enough. From the west is good, NW = great. Anything from the south = bad. So Wednesdays met.ie forecast would be a tough day for it.

It doesnt make a huge difference most days as a lot of it is sheltered but last night it the wind was pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Presumably people are interested in getting stronger rather than just riding up the hill in a fast time due to a strong tail wind.

Now that we have established that, go forth and climb the hill regardless of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Presumably people are interested in getting stronger rather than just riding up the hill in a fast time

:pac: Pacman finds your naiveness amusing!

• Advertisement

Presumably people are interested in getting stronger rather than just riding up the hill in a fast time due to a strong tail wind.

Now that we have established that, go forth and climb the hill regardless of the weather.
    +1, only fooling yourself. I was on for 7.4x last night but although my PB is just over 8, i know my best effort was an 8.2X.

The real truth is if you do 3 to 5 repeats and see what your average is too.

I have a sick association with that hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Tonight around 7.30pm I went up the hill.I thought at the start there was a very slight headwind,anyways I did a PB of 7.56,so am well happy.Conditions were much better than normal and there was lots of other riders out.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I thought last night would be the night to go sub 10 min for the first time, missed it by 9 seconds....... gutted :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

09:56 tonight with a side wind (so I am counting it as a "real" time). Well pleased* as I've been just over the ten a few times recently.

* it's the small victories that count

I was up the rhs of the church on wed. It's 10 leading to 16 as you cover the right hand bend leading to 20 percent as you take the left hand bend, easing off to 10 and decreasing. So a total bollox in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I was up the rhs of the church ... a total bollox in other words.
    Myself, Rob Fowl and another soldier went to Howth yest. Went up the Sutton side first then down to the village. Stopped for a luvverly coffee then Rob Fowl suggested we go up the steep side and keep to the right of the church. Not funny.
    Agree with Raam. A complete bollox of a climb.
    Would be interested to see the break down of the gradient.

bcmf wrote: »
    Myself, Rob Fowl and another soldier went to Howth yest. Went up the Sutton side first then down to the village. Stopped for a luvverly coffee then Rob Fowl suggested we go up the steep side and keep to the right of the church. Not funny.
    Agree with Raam. A complete bollox of a climb.
    Would be interested to see the break down of the gradient.

If I remember, and I probably won't, I'll grab the Garmin output from the last spin up and post it this eve.

Gonna go into MMR and break it down in small say 30mtr sections.

I find that MMR can mask a lot of gradient, but sure see how you get on and we can compare results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The right hand side of the church is a bollox alright but at least it's over quick enough. I would prefer it any day to the torture of trying to better a PB on the sutton side.

Speaking of which, I went up the Sutton side on Monday night (admittedly in bad conditions). My time suggested that three weeks holidays, even with some time on the bike, did more than just take the edge off. This was confirmed in last night's league race when I hammered around with scratch for the first of two laps and just couldn't face a second.

The right hand side of the church is a bollox alright but at least it's over quick enough.

You know that you are then meant to carry on and go up Windgate Road?

You know that you are then meant to carry on and go up Windgate Road?

Yes but that's only a 30 second hill after the right turn. You're at the top then.

I'm not saying I'd like to race up it...

From the church to just before the right hand turn : .28km with a very short section of 19 and 20 %

From Crosstrees to the turn for Balkill Park : .21km with a ramp of a good bit to 20%

From Balkill Park to the 'crossroads' : .26km again with a v short ramp of 20% but with a longish section of 10%

Following section : .21km pretty much sustained between 10 and 20%
    Thats pretty much it.
    However do it one full sweep and it doesnt give the gradient anywhere over 16%
    so the truth, I would imagine, is somehwere in between

Yes but that's only a 30 second hill after the right turn. You're at the top then.

I'm not saying I'd like to race up it...

I find windgate the toughest bit to be honest prob for 2 reasons one the HR is already sky high whereas you get half way up the RHS at the church 'for free' before the HR goes sky high and secondly the first bit drains both the legs and mind - going again hard for a 2nd time is a real PITA

• Advertisement

I never really think the climb has started until the church and I tend to daydream a bit between the top of the steep bit onto Balkill Road and the turn for Windgate Road. Just to be clear, I wasn't for a second suggesting that the climb was easy - just that it seems to go by quick enough and that I've never ridden it for a time. It must be the toughest climb north of the river and timing myself up it would just lead to temptation to try to go quicker. That's the gateway to a world of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Does everyone do this from standing start?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Pretty much climbed it at standing pace yesterday :rolleyes:

PS a/c Garmin 16% just after church and 15% max on Windgate.

bcmf did the other climb in 9:20 yesterday btw.......

I take a running jump onto the bike CX style.

RobFowl wrote: »

bcmf did the other climb in 9:20 yesterday btw.......
    Yay under 10mns. Must have been a gale force tailwind :D

I have a man to hold me. I bring him everywhere.

(yes - standing start)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

[/S]
    Sub 10:00 Yippee!
    09:56 tonight with a side wind (so I am counting it as a "real" time). Well pleased* as I've been just over the ten a few times recently.

* it's the small victories that count

Bizarre climb last night - pushing hard but no speed. Felt I was working as well (at least for me) as when I was under 10mins the other night. But nearly two minutes slower*. Didn't really notice too much by way of wind. Had to console myself with a pack of jelly tots at the shop. Seemed to do the trick as I got home in more or less the same time as I generally do.

Next time it's jelly tots at the bottom

*unfortunately the giant defeats count as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

New to cycling (though I was a senior athlete until 3 years ago, so a good base of fitness even if I have done little training for the last couple of years) and did the long climb for the first time yesterday. Went again today and attacked it properly. Did a 9.45 and a 9.48 (off a very very slow, almost stationary, rolling start) with no head wind.

I'm 6 foot 6 and about 98-100kg - where do I stand with reference to any other big fellas who do this regularly? Reckon I can (maybe) do sub 9 minutes with some good training, but i was wondering what the other 'big' club guys are doing (not some little wiry speed freak who does 7 minutes!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Alright Steve. For the weight class that sounds pretty fast. Had one of those 8 stone speedy freaks fly by me on Tuesday night as I was setting a new PB of 10.36.

Am about the 100kg mark myself but that's coming down from a bit over. Started cycling b4 Xmas and first time up here was 13.55 so chipping away at that. Started from a poor fitness base.

From the sounds of it u'll crack 9 minutes in no time. Try different tactics. Compare going full out from the start and trying to hang on ant the end to a slow start and accelerate at the golf club entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I've not managed to do it yet but it seems that sub-ten minute is like a sort of rite of passage around here.There should be a roll of honor for all those who have done it. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement