Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Made the jump from fixed gear to road biking 5 weeks ago and 'the hill' has been my training grounds since. Started off a little over 10 mins, never got an exact time but twas 10+ atleast

Then got the strava app, went a 9.52, not bad.

Few days later decided to ramp up my efforts as I went aiming for sub 9.30 got 9.47... Quite disappointing but better

Next day went for it, didn't feel it at the start but mid way up I realised I was catching someone else so got out of the saddle and set a 9.42. Which I was very happy with for taking it easy at first

So went for the out of the saddle everywhere I could yesterday, destroying myself but made a 9.07 so I'm very pleased

Next goal, to break 8.40 before winter rolls in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is from Harbour Road up the RHS of the church as far as Dungriffan Road. In other words: this.

171410.png

It is still masking the steeper parts. I turned smoothing right down. I'm not convinced that this is a true representation of the gradient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Dont think it would be too far off though. Be interesting to see if Rob Fowl can load up his Garmin details for Wed.
    Most impressed by the 9.20 for me and the max speed of 78kph on the descent into the village.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Yesterday: 11.35 on hybrid with weird onshore breeze.
    Today: sub-10 with 9.34 on me '80s Raleigh, same wind as yesterday. Hit 65.6km/h on the descent but was slowed by a car in front. Was gonna go for another try but turned around and went home.

I'll try again in a few weeks with the clipless pedals and non baggy clothes! Curious to see if they take any time off. I've a feeling the wind makes more of a difference though.

Saw a very swanky looking Felt TT bike at the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Did some repeats over the hill today.09:53 for the sutton climb, then a windgate from the village, & from the sutton side (turn left about half way up) and so on. Six climbs, beautiful morning for it. I kept meeting someone in what looked like liquigas kit absolutely tearing up the hill. Skiny, beardy and very very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Raam wrote: »
    This is from Harbour Road up the RHS of the church as far as Dungriffan Road. In other words: this.

171410.png

It is still masking the steeper parts. I turned smoothing right down. I'm not convinced that this is a true representation of the gradient.

Cheers for posting this, that "s" part in Balglass road is, quite simply, horrendous. However, the satisfaction of doing it is second to none!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spelean

Thanks guys for the info on the routes. I'm new to cycling, looking to join a club in the Autumn, so using this stuff has been a really good measure of my gains in fitness and ability.

Got my Sutton side time to 8.02 and cant wait to see how I get working on the far side. Awesome climb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Spelean wrote: »
    ...I'm new to cycling... looking to join a club in the Autumn...Got my Sutton side time to 8.02

Might I suggest Swords Cycling Club - http://www.swordscc.com - all are welcome but 8 minute Howth TTers particularly so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Yesterday: 11.35 on hybrid with weird onshore breeze.
    Today: sub-10 with 9.34 on me '80s Raleigh, same wind as yesterday. Hit 65.6km/h on the descent but was slowed by a car in front. Was gonna go for another try but turned around and went home.

I'll try again in a few weeks with the clipless pedals and non baggy clothes! Curious to see if they take any time off. I've a feeling the wind makes more of a difference though.

Saw a very swanky looking Felt TT bike at the summit.
    65k on the descent is good going in baggy clothes. Tailwind and parachute pants?

Thanks for this - now I know why it's so hard.

By any chance do you have the same type of data for the stretch up Windgate road, where you turn right off up a very steep section (about 100-200m after Dungriffan road) which continues on around to the left. From what I recall the highest point on the head is 175m so this part of the road must rise another 40-50m over a relatively short distance.

Ta

NMG

• Advertisement

171979.png

171981.png

Thanks Raam - that's exactly the route I was thinking of. Another tough one, especially after the first section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

chakattack wrote: »
    65k on the descent is good going in baggy clothes. Tailwind and parachute pants?

I may not have been coasting at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

First trip on my new bike.

9.38 which is slower than my best, but that best time had a decent tail wind and today was calm. Happy enough though as I was 10 mins faster for the whole route, 27.7 average versus 24.7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cycle43

My best Howth hill climb so far is 11 mins 10 sec recorded today. Timed on sutton side from traffic lights at junction with Offington park to Irish Times sign at shop. Not too bad I think for a 43 year old on 1st full year cycling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@cycle43 The start most people use is a little further up the road so you could probably knock a few seconds off that time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    @cycle43 The start most people use is a little further up the road so you could probably knock a few seconds off that time.

Knock about 500m by my measure.

After the weather lately it was a really nice evening.

I'm knocking a min off now so, 10 min 10 sec. Lovely, now for under 10 mins. Always wondered what sort of times people were doing up howth. I'll be watching out for you lot now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Oh and welcome to Boards.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Was out there tonight myself. There was a bit of a headwind so fair play to you.

• Advertisement

Finally went up through village and right at the church. Steep little climb! The crazy wind didn't help

Sunday - strong wind that seemed to be from every direction. Mostly across me but slightly against at one stage and it certainly helped me up the last 800m or when you turn to the left but 09:33 (yaaay!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yay! First sub 10min today. Did it in 9.43sec beating my previous best of 10.31sec. Although that 10.31 was from the start of the summer before I'd become acquainted with stocking lane (which is much nearer my house).

First proper timing of Howth Hill climb tonight. Was starting at wrong point. Have been climbing on and off all year without timing myself, then find this Thread. Had to give it a lash. 9mins 32 sec and 9 mins 43 sec. Delighted with that but think I had a nice tail wind. Do the fast cyclists on here pace themselfs up or full gas most of the way?

Sorry, Sutton side up.

Go fast for the first half, then faster for the second half.

Go fast for the first half, then faster for the second half.

Love it. Legs won't let me. 43 and 90kg's, I think I can only pace it really. This thread will be the death of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yurrgh. Went up Sutton side this morning in 11m53. Down to village and up again via the Garda station and Windgate hill. Got a nod from a nice young lady on her bike at Sutton Cross after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

9:31 this morning into a slight head wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

I do all my cycling around west county Dublin but went for a drive with the other half over to Howth on Sunday. I drove through Howth Village and turned right and went up the steep hill beside the church.

Im thinking of cycling from lucan over to Howth next weekend but am wondering what Crankset most people have for cycling this side of the climb??
    I have a compact crankset and am just thinking would it be ok???

• Advertisement

Whatever you are able to get up the hill on will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement