Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

D'oh!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Yeah Sutton is the easiest. No real tough bit. Folk just like the timing aspect of it I guess

1 is defo the toughest as cdaly mentions above. 2 and 3 are prob similar altho perhaps village side is a tad easier in that once u get the initial climb out of the way (past the traffic lights) then it's relatively plain sailing.

Give 2 a go cdaly. You know u want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Gave Howth a lash for the first time today. Up small steep bit at balscadden then came out behind church went downhill and back up right at the church. Got the heart and lungs going. I personally would find Bellewestown a tougher climb overall, while Howth is probably steeper but for a shorter stint. Living up the north County has really turned me into a country bumpkin all the cars and traffic lights wrecked my head today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

7'20" for me today from a standing start across from the school up to Irish Times sign. Was hoping to do under 7'10" this year so hopefully I can improve on this for next season. Nice way to finish up the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

7'20" for me today....
    :confused: You're down on Strava as doing it in 7'10' (6th)

(You're making my 9+ mins look seriously inadequate!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I did this on Saturday morning for the first time.
    Standing start

8' 11"
    Happy with that.

I guess breaking into the 7min section is something to aim for now.

not sure why, maybe it just records it from a slightly different location. i did the boards.ie hillclimb in Howth in 2011 and I usually try and start and finish from those 2 spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

7'20" for me today from a standing start across from the school up to Irish Times sign. Was hoping to do under 7'10" this year so hopefully I can improve on this for next season. Nice way to finish up the year.

I'm really bothered by your standing start. Why would you do that? It's like you're deliberately trying to avoid getting the KOM.

Due to unavoidable uncertainty about where a given segment starts, you should approach the approximate start point at a steady speed determined by your lactate threshold, and only put the hammer down when you know you're definitely past it.

Now go and do it properly.

Repeatability. That Strava is only for your ego. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm really bothered by your standing start. Why would you do that? It's like you're deliberately trying to avoid getting the KOM.

Due to unavoidable uncertainty about where a given segment starts, you should approach the approximate start point at a steady speed determined by your lactate threshold, and only put the hammer down when you know you're definitely past it.

Now go and do it properly.

Maybe he is practicing for hill TT's and the like. Then again maybe he doesn't like Strava and been top dog and letting people see how quick he is, good tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe he is practicing for hill TT's and the like. Then again maybe he doesn't like Strava and been top dog and letting people see how quick he is, good tactics

You lost me at "doesn't like Strava". I've heard that sometimes Cycling Ireland gets a bunch of cyclists to ride around a series of segments in a big group, but I figured it was just a way to get a KOM by drafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

not sure why, maybe it just records it from a slightly different location. i did the boards.ie hillclimb in Howth in 2011 and I usually try and start and finish from those 2 spots.
    Yes, I must have been looking at the standard segment. Apologies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement