Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Have you thought of applying for the obsession advert for Calvin Klein?

I'll work on the vacuous stare and the washboard abs so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I'll work on the vacuous stare and the washboard abs so.

Not to mention the ambiguity of what you are advertising in respect of the ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Took a leisurely spin out to Howth with the missus, parked her up with a pint and went for my first time up from the Village side, managed 7min24secs from the right turn to the top of the main road by the summit shop. Could defo knock some off that as I didn't know what to expect and how to pace myself.

http://www.strava.com/segments/howth-village-side-661174

Will defo have a go from the other side when I am next out and can find the magic start line!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Took the kids for a picnic up at Howth Summit and a play in the adventure playground by the harbour. Threw the bike on the back of the car and had a go at the Sutton side climb. I was cold as had no warmup, and the wind was in my face and fairly blowing. I also don't think I got enough eveness of effort,

Anyways time - 9:48

http://app.strava.com/rides/674234

I certainly think warmed up and with a less savage headwind a sub 9min run is on the cards at some stage soon. I was in much better form when I attacked the Village side yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

did my 1st timed climb of the year sunday evening with a tail wind and defo wont be winning any speed prizes. 10mins somthing. hit the wrong button on the clock at the start and then at the finish managed to turn the clock off. Did it again Monday night into a head wind 12,03 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Had a go at this on my way home today. 13:14 and coughed all the way back down.
    I don't think I started at the proper white line though. There's one on the Sutton side of Santa Sabina. Couldn't see any other one so started from there.

the start is up opposite st fintans primary school just past the double gates into howth celtics ground. if you started at santa sabina its no wonder it took you 13 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

neris wrote: »
    the start is up opposite st fintans primary school just past the double gates into howth celtics ground. if you started at santa sabina its no wonder it took you 13 mins

That'll explain it alright :D
    Did it on the way to work today. 10:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

8.26 tonight, 32 seconds knocked off the PB. Finally got some decent training in over the weekend so guess this proves it works.

Im sure the wind was behind me on the way up but i dont think its that strong and it was absolutely lashing throughout the effort - for the last part it was right driving in the face but it was head down and chew the handlebars.

I'd hope i might improve on that again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 elsanto

8:32 (or 8:29 "moving time" according to garmin) last night in the downpour. Felt I had done better a few days before - but realised at the top that I had hit "lap" (again) rather than "start".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Off form yesterday evening. Took 11m52.

I did trigger the speed limit radar display on the way back down at 61kph and spun out at a max of 67kph... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Gave this my first bash this evening. Perfect conditions, little to no wind and warm-ish. Started out too hard (as I tend to do) and was almost spent after 3 min!! Also ended up in the wrong gear at the wrong time. 7:56 from a standing start (which I presume everyone else is doing) so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Gave this my first bash this evening. Perfect conditions, little to no wind and warm-ish. Started out too hard (as I tend to do) and was almost spent after 3 min!! Also ended up in the wrong gear at the wrong time. 7:56 from a standing start (which I presume everyone else is doing) so happy enough with that.

Group 4 for you so in Swords League in future when you turn up.:D

3 times for me tonight 8.35, 8.45, 8.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

8mins 45 secs tonight. 15 seconds of previous best, bought cycle shoes and pedals so this helped

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

Amazing tailwind tonight if anyone's looking to set a good PB. Just did 7:34 with a previous PB of 8:29! Still plenty of daylight....

Amazing tailwind tonight if anyone's looking to set a good PB. Just did 7:34 with a previous PB of 8:29! Still plenty of daylight....

Werent in a swords kit were u?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

neris wrote: »
    Werent in a swords kit were u?

No I had on a black Santini jersey.

7.44 for me tonight with the slight hint of a tailwind. always fade on the last 200m though. does anyone actually get stronger on this section?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep but it only gets me up in under 11m instead of 11m20.

Someday I'll crack 10m or even less...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

7.44 for me tonight with the slight hint of a tailwind. always fade on the last 200m though. does anyone actually get stronger on this section?
    Thats some time,my best is 9.05,respect man!

No i always die just on that last left winding uphill turn - there always seems to be a headwind too or may its just my suffering - but can usually recover and sprint a bit up the final 40m rise mainly just so its all over and i can lie in the gutter heaving. Ah the joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thought I recognised you up there last night but you werent wearing the BMC kit so I wasnt sure if it was you. A couple of us from the tri club were up doing reps on the last section of the hill. The rest of the club were picking up all the awards at the Howth Aquathon down in the village!!

Thats some time,my best is 9.05,respect man!

some fellas on here are doing much better than me. middle of road i'd say. amjons time last yr in TT = :eek:

Thought I recognised you up there last night but you werent wearing the BMC kit so I wasnt sure if it was you. A couple of us from the tri club were up doing reps on the last section of the hill. The rest of the club were picking up all the awards at the Howth Aquathon down in the village!!

also though i saw you coming down against me on the 1st part of the hill but wasn't sure either. my plan is usually to do reps but then i seem to forget this and go for a better time and just come back up from the village and head home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I was out the night before last as well (8:09 FWIW).

Did anyone else encounter a couple of car loads of boy racers with water pistols? I got a couple of soakings. I memorised the reg nos. but couldn't be arsed doing anything about it - they were only kids.

I later saw an unmarked police car stopping a couple of modded cars on the way down the hill but they weren't my lot.
    my plan is usually to do reps but then i seem to forget this and go for a better time and just come back up from the village and head home again.

I usually don't bother timing myself but my typical late Monday night is to do four efforts up it - two from the Sutton side (one fast enough) and two from the village side, on the second of which I go right at the church and up by the quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I was out the night before last as well (8:09 FWIW).

Did anyone else encounter a couple of car loads of boy racers with water pistols? I got a couple of soakings. I memorised the reg nos. but couldn't be arsed doing anything about it - they were only kids.

I later saw an unmarked police car stopping a couple of modded cars on the way down the hill but they weren't my lot.

I got hit with a bottle coming down the TT route a few weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to memorise the reg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

8m.30s tonight... still bit of wind tonight. so taken 30 secs of my first time in a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

First time up it today, went from Howth side first, didn't time it, then went from mark at soccer pitch on sutton side to irish times sign.

12.31, :o or close to that. Definitly room for improvement.

I have something to work towards now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

You haven't 'conquered' Howth head until your go up through the village and go right (on the fork junction) by the church. It's an absolute killer and to add to the pain turn right onto windgate road when you think it's all over ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement