Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I was thinking the same thing as chakattack!! If you did 8.17, you should be able to get up any climb in Howth.Or Wicklow for that matter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I see the road has been re-tarmaced between sutton and howth .....big improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

chakattack wrote: »
    What's the haggard? Right at the church?

No bother to ya on a std if you can do 8:17.....

But right AFTER doing 8:17? Wasn't happening. Also I'm (running) racing tonight, so wanted to keep some freshness in the legs. And I wanted an ice-cream.
    del88 wrote: »
    I see the road has been re-tarmaced between sutton and howth .....big improvement

Yep, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This morning did 9:28 so 20 secs faster than last time, and into a worse headwind, with 30 hard km @ avg 30kph into the wind from Swords to Howth already in the legs as I was late to meet someone. No headwind or fresh legs and I am under 9mins for sure.....a decent tailwind and who knows! I'll be back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Went up the village side and turned right at the church this afternoon. Had to use the granny gear and had numerous heart attacks on the way up :o! Vicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Went up the village side and turned right at the church this afternoon. Had to use the granny gear and had numerous heart attacks on the way up :o! Vicious!

I did that very same route myself a few times this early afternoon. Trying desperately to remember how to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    I did that very same route myself a few times this early afternoon. Trying desperately to remember how to suffer.

Love that climb. It's a total handlebar chewer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robr32

anyone know what the grad is for right of the church. have done it several times recently and it doesn't seem to get any easier, although left of the church doesn't seem so bad now :D.

rob.

16% from what I saw today. Feels like more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

16% from what I saw today. Feels like more.

Always wondered about that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's for Gay Byrne's drive to the park. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's for Gay Byrne's drive to the park. :pac:
    Then they'll need to widen it for his ego..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Plus gay hasnt lived in Howth for years!!He lives on the southside now.

Is there still a cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's just a broken white line now, the red schmutz is gone.

It's still crappy around Deer Park for a bit.

10:34 last week
    10:29 yesterday
    9.37 today
    I'm happy with that. Next goal is to bring it under 9 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

^^^ Im sure you know by the difference in the time from yesterday that conditions were premium today for that particular hill.

Never seen so many cyclists on it as tonight - cue a raft of PB's being posted up tomorrow with that strong NW wind.

Was well under my own PB just before the top when i 'schleked' my chain and got it tangled when shifting back up:rolleyes:

^^ Yep, but now I have the time down I'll be keeping it there dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

i ran from bull island up the sutton side and back round via village in 1hr and half this evening

Could feel the wind on the hill and wishing i had my bike so could beat my pb of 8 30

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    ^^^ Im sure you know by the difference in the time from yesterday that conditions were premium today for that particular hill.

Never seen so many cyclists on it as tonight - cue a raft of PB's being posted up tomorrow with that strong NW wind.

Was well under my own PB just before the top when i 'schleked' my chain and got it tangled when shifting back up:rolleyes:

Ah crap! I was going to head out but thought the wind was the wrong way. Stayed local instead so no PB today for me. Rats!

New rule: PBs only count on days where there is no wind or where there is a head wind.

New rule: PBs only count on days where there is no wind or where there is a head wind.

Who died and made you the IOC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Ah crap! I was going to head out but thought the wind was the wrong way. Stayed local instead so no PB today for me. Rats!

So you're back training and not being a wuzz and/or playing golf then? spin saturday?

Defo not the wrong way anyway, was soft pedalling down to sutton averaging 36kmph @ 130bpm, whereas coming home - well lets not talk about that

Or it may be handy if people are posting a time to stick in arough note on wind direction and speed

So last night would be NW 30kmph.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    So you're back training and not being a wuzz and/or playing golf then? spin saturday?

Sure thing. 7:15 at Woodies near the estuary. Start a thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bairdsy

Can anyone tell me what street the Hill starts on and finishes? Relatively new to Dublin and have no idea.

Thanks,

Bairdsy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what street the Hill starts on and finishes? Relatively new to Dublin and have no idea.

Thanks,

At Sutton Cross head up past the marine hotel (on your right) and continue up the hill that way with Dublin bay on your right. Going left at Sutton Cross will bring you into Howth village along a flat, level road. If you can't see the mountains in Wicklow then you are on the wrong side of Howth!

You want the Greenfield road that turns into Carrickbrack road a little further up.

Actually, I think this is bang on.

Start

Finish

Now let us all refer to this post for ever and ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bairdsy

Actually, I think this is bang on.

Start

Finish

Now let us all refer to this post for ever and ever.

Thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement