Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

setanta159 wrote: »
    You haven't 'conquered' Howth head until your go up through the village and go right (on the fork junction) by the church. It's an absolute killer and to add to the pain turn right onto windgate road when you think it's all over ;)

Ha ha thats so true and make sure you only have 39/23 while you're at it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Done it again on Monday 11th,about 8.30pm.Perfect weather conditions,no wind that I noticed.Anyway,a PB of 8.23,slow by the standards here,but I was very happy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...a PB of 8.23,slow by the standards here,but I was very happy!

Speak for yourself.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i went up the village side on my hyrbrid. went left at the church and on up to the summit. was wrecked by the the time i got up there. I lied on the ground at the top for about 10 mins to recover.

i wasnt expecting such a steep climb. And all the feckers coming the opposite way down the hill just looking at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But just think, you got to look at the poor feckers climbing on your way down...

Sutton side this evening 11m30. Better than my last.

• Advertisement

Had a go at Howth this afternoon and only managed 12 minutes.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

8.20 last night....Wearing teh WAR jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Mentioned in the pictures thread but I got sub 13 minutes today on my first go at it on the grave yard side.
    How long do you reckon it is 'till I'm looking at sub 10 minutes?

Edit: How long is a piece of string? :)

I hate to disappoint you Cian but ye were both over a minute behind me.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah what?!
    Well did I do it sub 14 at least? Haha

Tells you how wrecked I was at the top, clearly couldn't take in the info.

• Advertisement

Yeah I reckon we were roughly 12, 13 and 14 mins respectively.
    Next time we'll all be sub 10!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Had another go on a road bike this time, got 10.05, still not great but tripped the speed camera thing at 65km/h on the descent! Road bike seems more "hamstringy" than the mtb. Tons of people out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Which side is best to go up and around and why?

i have been going up through the village and down the back of howth but see more going other way? is that way easyer or harder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Which side is best to go up and around and why?

i have been going up through the village and down the back of howth but see more going other way? is that way easyer or harder!!

Its longer and harder.., time yourself from the footall piches opp the cemetry

I normally go up the sutton side, down to village then turn round and go back up to summmit and down sutton side

god 1hr 20 mins workout from fairview

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

cool thanks

went up that way there to try it, deffo lot easyer,
    from church and sutton side to top it took me 14.5mins (first time and on a MTB - but useing MTB sort of raod tyres)
    deffo room to improve there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

09:52 - with a bit of help from a westerly gale. But still happy to be under ten minutes ; especially after two weeks of sitting around, eatin'n'drinkin on hols.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

8.02 yesterday evening- very favourable conditions in fairness. Previous best was 8.26 and that may actually be a better effort and reflection. Just about managed to keep the sunday dinner i had in the inlaws to be down at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

I've never timed myself, but will from now on! What sort of speed is everyone doing up the Sutton side? And then up the Howth Village side!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Note to self: do not attempt Howth side against the wind without shades again. Been picking bits out of my eyes all afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yahooguy

New to cycling these last two months.

Clocked 10 min 17 secs this evening but not at full tilt but was whacked by the time i reached the sign! Gears on the bike kept slipping too which didn't help the cause. My goal for the September is to get close or below 9mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

yahooguy wrote: »
    New to cycling these last two months.

Clocked 10 min 17 secs this evening but not at full tilt but was whacked by the time i reached the sign! Gears on the bike kept slipping too which didn't help the cause. My goal for the September is to get close or below 9mins.

There were a good few up there this evening again. Bit of a tail wind with you but thats a great time for someone who's only started cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yahooguy

There were a good few up there this evening again. Bit of a tail wind with you but thats a great time for someone who's only started cycling.

Thanks for the compliment. Did a charity cycle last month and since have the bug (strange im only getting the bug now though as ive been an avid fan of the TDF these last 20 years or so).

Yeah was plenty of riders out there this evening which also helps you to up your game in fear of been passed by someone or you have someone to catch. Will try it again the weekend.

Went to Deerpark after it and really struggled on that hill - pretty steep incline!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

first time up and over this today - didn't time anything as I didn't have a calendar handy. Went through the village first, right at the end (past the bike shop) and to the left of the church and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Tried it for the first time last night... 11.45... I made the rookie misstake of trying to keep pace with 2 guys, one of whom was on a pinarello but ending up feeling a serious burn after only two minutes... cant wait to get back out there next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

locha wrote: »
    Tried it for the first time last night... 11.45... I made the rookie misstake of trying to keep pace with 2 guys, one of whom was on a pinarello but ending up feeling a serious burn after only two minutes... cant wait to get back out there next week.

That was me and my friend - he had the pinarello.

We made it up (from a "rolling" start at 20km/h or so rather than the regulation standing start) in 9.33. First time timing it but happy out with the time - I was hangin at the top.

On my own without the rolling start I should be able to get under 10 mins so must try it out for real.

So much for an easy ride before the Meath 160 on Sunday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Rolling start...tut tut!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Rolling start...tut tut!! LOL

Yeah, commissars would have been unimpressed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Timed myself for the first time last night, went up the Sutton side of things. Took 10mins 20 seconds. Was aiming for under 10 but hey I did ok. Wanna cut alot of time off that over the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

8:17

First time timed up here, started from still (but clipped in). Paced it pretty well I think, as KO'ed on the green in front of the Summit Inn after.

Tried to do the Haggard climb after, had to turn around (I'm running a std chainset), I should have done a Jens on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

christeb wrote: »
    8:17

First time timed up here, started from still (but clipped in). Paced it pretty well I think, as KO'ed on the green in front of the Summit Inn after.

Tried to do the Haggard climb after, had to turn around (I'm running a std chainset), I should have done a Jens on it.

What's the haggard? Right at the church?

No bother to ya on a std if you can do 8:17.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement