Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

ccull123 wrote: »
    I do all my cycling around west county Dublin but went for a drive with the other half over to Howth on Sunday. I drove through Howth Village and turned right and went up the steep hill beside the church.

Im thinking of cycling from lucan over to Howth next weekend but am wondering what Crankset most people have for cycling this side of the climb??
    I have a compact crankset and am just thinking would it be ok???

But of course. That's what compacts are for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Beautiful out yesterday so had a first go for 2012 - 09:42

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

First time I've done it in a good while tonight. 7:59 but a decent tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i must really try this some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

lennymc wrote: »
    i must really try this some time.
    Me too, where exactly is the starting point?

• Advertisement

J Madone wrote: »
    Me too, where exactly is the starting point?

The starting point is the last post on page 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Ye defo one of my aims for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

First time I've done it in a good while tonight. 7:59 but a decent tailwind.

Out today, best time 9.28, good tailwind but not as good as last night;). The repeats after that got a lot slower. Best last year was 9.32 so that wind is good folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iridemybike

What's the best time people have done going up the sutton side? Or the best time you have heard being done? anyone get around 5/6 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's the best time people have done going up the sutton side? Or the best time you have heard being done? anyone get around 5/6 mins?

Mid 7mins is the best time, if you have a Garmin or an iPhone with the Strava app then you can compare your times...

5/6 mins? Maybe one of the Pro's could manage that??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Going to be my first time to do it this week. The link on page 12 doesn't work for me, I presume the climb loops anti clockwise, I'm going to give it a go from both sides but I was just wondering.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume the climb loops anti clockwise.

Sure does...

Though I notice Strava times it from the entrance to the housing estate opposite St.Fintan's school.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

so is it a standing start or just barrel up it (!!) :)
    im going to try to include this in my commute home, but its adds an extra 20km. Ill have to wait until the weather clears..

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

From what I believe it's a standing start but I always time it as a rolling start, don't tell anyone. Below is a link to the climb I believe to be the correct starting and finishing points, ie, start at Howth Celtic FC sign at Football pitch and finish at the Times sign at shop.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/911523

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Today would be a good day to do it. Wind direction looks perfect.

There was a boards TT up it in autumn 2010. amjon did it in 6:50 or so. tawfeeredux managed just over 7:00 and I think Raam has done something similar.

Standing start from Howth Celtic FC gate (there's a feint line on the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iridemybike

There was a boards TT up it in autumn 2010. amjon did it in 6:50 or so. tawfeeredux managed just over 7:00 and I think Raam has done something similar.

That's some quick times alright. My best only around 8:00 or so. :D

First attempt 8min24sec from a standing start. Didn't know where the top was so I started forcing it too late, there is always next time though.

Mr. Peter Doyle I have my eye on you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mr. Peter Doyle I have my eye on you :p

Them's fightin' words.

Don't know if it's exactly the same course but here's the results of the recent intervarsity assault on Howth:

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/stanley-extends-inter-varsity-gc-lead-with-second-win-at-howth-tt/

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's exactly the same course but here's the results of the recent intervarsity assault on Howth:

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/stanley-extends-inter-varsity-gc-lead-with-second-win-at-howth-tt/

Strava has me at 8.24 but the Intervarsity has me at 8.54. I though they were the same but maybe not.
    Just checked, the Strava one is shorter by about 200 metres.

I presume it finished in the same place (Irish Times sign - there's not really any more 'hill' left after that) so you must have started further down the road. You get time credit for your strava time being part of a longer effort but it gets taken back for a rolling start. ;)

For me, the illusion that I might be able to mix it with the best of the college boys has been shattered.

Just checked, the Strava one is shorter by about 200 metres.

Strava starts at the entrance to the estate(old castle ave) and stops at the Irish times sign, whereas the TT starts from that line to the entrance onto a GAA pitch which is 10 seconds further up than where strava starts?

Or am I wrong?

p.s. who is it that trains on that hill with a big haversack on there back? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Tenzor07 wrote: »

p.s. who is it that trains on that hill with a big haversack on there back? :D

What Kinda bike ?

I'd spin up on way home from work occasionally

A road bike! :D

I think its a lady anyways... seems to train on the sutton side climb with a tent folded up in a big yellow bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

A road bike! :D

I think its a lady anyways... seems to train on the sutton side climb with a tent folded up in a big yellow bag...

And based on my over analysis of the situation she is absolutely whipping you on the hill !:D:D:D

I deduct this from the fact that you only see the person from the back and they must be so far far away that your not sure if its a lady !

I think its a lady anyways...

Definitely Dario so. ;)

Ha! In fairness s/he must be doing around 8min times which is pretty good!

Or am I wrong?

I just checked google maps. Both the intervarsity TT and the Strava climb start from the exact same spot. The difference is actually at the end. Strava cuts off before the shop turn and the TT cuts off between the left and right turn at the top of the climb.

Approximately 40meters of a difference, I suspect since the TT was done from 2 watches that there could have been a small bit of difference in the times ie, for comparing between riders in the TT it was fine but comparing to riders from Strava there maybe a slight difference as the last bit of the climb is where everyone was going their fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Anyone interested in heading for Howth Hill tomorrow evening around 1830? I'll be leaving from the city centre. It'll be the first time for me. I don't really know the area so it'd be good to cling onto someone's Gatorskin have some company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement