Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nice to see some PC footage,any review ive read so far were the console versions.

Decent live stream here http://www.justin.tv/sugarush22#/w/1192087616
    Looks just like what id hoped for tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spotted a few mini trailors of the game on Film4 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I managed to put a few hours into Brink on the PS3 last night (so I wasn't playing online). As others have said, the AI is pretty poor, but the game is still playable offline. My thoughts so far are that Brink is a very mediocre game. With only eight maps (only playable through the one game type), I can see the game getting very repetitive, very quickly.

There's lots of guns and abilities and it's nice to see a change from the standard "level up to unlock" system. There's a lot of guns available from your first game, but you have to unlock their attachments through completing the Challenge mode levels.

I'll reserve my final judgement until I play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Was reading IGN's review and got to this part
    There are four classes in Brink, but there's a disappointing lack of definition between them. Due to the nature of Brink's maps, classes require constant changing. One objective might need repairs from an Engineer, while another might have a Medic heal a VIP. But classes don't really play differently. I was often confused when I couldn't drop a turret only to remember I was a Soldier, a class with a different set of skills. There's not much of a chance to pick and master a favorite class.

So he complains that there is a lack of definition in the classes but then points out that each class has a specific role to play in completing objectives.

He then says that he was bewildered that he couldn't drop a turret only to realise he was a Solider. But surely that s BIG difference between a class and what role it plays.

God forbid this reviewer ever had to play TF2, his mind may collapse in itself "I was playing a scout and i went to throw grenades only to find i wasn't play as Demoman".

I seriously question the intelligence of reviewers these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I hear what you are getting at steveo and a valid point, and i can see the point he is getting at that all the different classes lack definition with how they play(they have a role but lack individuality), I will give it a blast when the psn is back up but my overall impression is a missed opportunity I am afraid.

to have a campaign that has such bad a.i. offline is shocking, alot of oversights in all it seems

-uneven/half thought classes
    -no lobby
    -bad a.i.(not everyone is hooked up to the web and this should be catered for in a game for 50e)

lets hope i take back the above statement when the psn is back up but i doubt it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Stev_o wrote: »
    Was reading IGN's review and got to this part

So he complains that there is a lack of definition in the classes but then points out that each class has a specific role to play in completing objectives.

He then says that he was bewildered that he couldn't drop a turret only to realise he was a Solider. But surely that s BIG difference between a class and what role it plays.

God forbid this reviewer ever had to play TF2, his mind may collapse in itself "I was playing a scout and i went to throw grenades only to find i wasn't play as Demoman".

You and me both, ive seen countless other idiotic accounts from reviewers lately.
    As a rule i never trust any of then,Ive learned to know what to expect purely from watching gameplay videos along with reviews from non mainstream reviewers.
    My general rule of thumb on a PC game especially FPS titles is ignore any console reviews as the PC version is always vastly different and superior.

Ill say once again, Brink is intended to be an online team based FPS, nothing more nothing less.
    Anyone buying it for single player or wanting to play it online like mw2 or black ops and get their killstreaks etc needs their head examined.
    Its funny how a few pc gaming communities i keep up to speed with via there forums are praising the game saying its a real successor to enemy territory and rewards real teamplay which can only be a good thing imo.
    Personally i havent played yet, it unlocks tomorrow,time will tell if its any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Stev_o wrote: »

I think you're being unfair.

I believe he wants to point out that characters don't feel distinct when doing anything but the role-specific stuff. "Big whoop" you may say "that's the way it always is". Not really, as this game encourages such frequent role switching, it needs to better indicate what role you're currently using. This would help avoid the hesitation, the second guessing and frustrating moments of head-slapping 'stupidity'. I haven't really played TF2 but, iirc, it only lets you change role after you've died. In Bink you can change roles several times in one life. TF2 has other indicators such as the role-specific weapon that's in front of your face the whole time.

Movement speed, vocal clues and ammo types also help overcome confusion in TF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dcully wrote: »
    ...praising the game saying its a real successor to enemy territory and rewards real teamplay which can only be a good thing imo...

Oh man! I have to get this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone buying it for single player ...needs their head examined.
    +1. From the few reviews and gameplay vids I have seen its obviously an online game. The A.I. is an afterthought and I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I've seen different answers online, but can you play this game 2 player co-op online on the same console like Black Ops?? On PSN that is, seen someone say that you can on Xbox but not on PS3, surely that's not true??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I've seen different answers online, but can you play this game 2 player co-op online on the same console like Black Ops?? On PSN that is, seen someone say that you can on Xbox but not on PS3, surely that's not true??

How can anyone on PSN actually know that?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    How can anyone on PSN actually know that?

We knew months in advance that Black Ops would have online co-op on the same console. I assume it has been announced, just struggled to find a solid answer online, just wondering if anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just watched multiplayer stream for awile there. Looked class! Really showed a need in teamwork!

Well let's hope I will have fun tomorrow so! Got to work till 1 thought :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

regarding the ps3 version of this game.. if psn is down till the end of may, then brink will be dead in the water..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I can't believe I'm still so undecided on this game. It was a day one purchase up until a few days ago, now I don't know if I'll get it at all

I'm expecting it to be TF2, but I know that it's not, and it has no humour. I also think that I'll be able to get it in a bargain bin in a few weeks for pennies.

Bought 3 used games for €30. Think I might just keep them to trade in for L.A. Noire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

EDGE's review isn't too encouraging:
    http://www.next-gen.biz/features/brink-review

Healium wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm still so undecided on this game. It was a day one purchase up until a few days ago, now I don't know if I'll get it at all

I'm expecting it to be TF2, but I know that it's not, and it has no humour. I also think that I'll be able to get it in a bargain bin in a few weeks for pennies.

Bought 3 used games for €30. Think I might just keep them to trade in for L.A. Noire :(

I'm in the same boat. I still think the videos and stuff look good, and I could see it being very fun with a group of mates or a bunch of boardsies or whatever playing it. But with so many bad/mediocre reviews, how can they all be wrong?? Might just wait a bit and maybe pick it up, if its as bad as the reviews there will be plenty cheap copies on adverts to buy, plus PSN still down, so no point in getting it yet really.

hmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

3 words sum brink up for me so far:

dullest game ever

Helix wrote: »
    3 words sum brink up for me so far:

dullest game ever

You playing online or just SP??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    You playing online or just SP??

just trying out the sp first, online now in a bit once ive figured out the basics. dont like jumping into multi without a bit of sp play

just trying out the sp first, online now in a bit once ive figured out the basics. dont like jumping into multi without a bit of sp play

Well hopefully the MP is less dull! Let us know what you think.

I thought there is no sp in thus game. It's a 7 people coop with bots instead of people when people are not connected.

I was newer fan of coop games, they usually are all dull. I will just play with bots for a bit just to know controls and wtf am I doing :).

I will still give it a go. It might be ****, but atleast I will know myself.

I mentioned before that I watched some fellas streaming mp part of the game, and it looked really decent. Showed that teamwork is above everything.

P.s. I would think this game is like l4d then?

If you play l4d with bots it's pure ****, when you play with friends it's brilliant game.

This game is same in my eyes so far, it's a shame all reviews of brink are based on play with bots. L4d with people.

Just my thoughts on this... I will find out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

My friend got his copy in extra vision late last night. It is terrible we took turns in playing online and sp and it really is a forgettable game. It's a shame really as I had this preordered and was gonna collect it today but after plaing it for just a couple of hours I can't waste cash like that!

Btw even if u buy hate it go to trade it Gamestop are giving 28 credit for a 50 euro game which is bad form as they normally offer 32 at least but they expect this game to flop big time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Dedicated server running on TiG's box.

Haven't had time to test it myself yet, if you have the PC version of the game, please give it a shot and send me some feedback. It's using the standard config.

Thanks,

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

P.s. I would think this game is like l4d then?

If you play l4d with bots it's pure ****, when you play with friends it's brilliant game.

That could be the case with Brink too (though computer controlled players weren't so bad in L4D, or so I thought). One of my main problems with Brink so far is the lack of variety; you play through each level in stages - for the first step you blow up a door, for the next section of the level you protect an informer, then you have to hack a console... and so on.

I think that I'll grow bored with the repetitiveness of the game very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

My friend got his copy in extra vision late last night. It is terrible we took turns in playing online and sp and it really is a forgettable game. It's a shame really as I had this preordered and was gonna collect it today but after plaing it for just a couple of hours I can't waste cash like that!

Btw even if u buy hate it go to trade it Gamestop are giving 28 credit for a 50 euro game which is bad form as they normally offer 32 at least but they expect this game to flop big time
    ya get 35 if ya out it towards an upcoming release like la noire etc, ;)

Notorious wrote: »
    That could be the case with Brink too (though computer controlled players weren't so bad in L4D, or so I thought). One of my main problems with Brink so far is the lack of variety; you play through each level in stages - for the first step you blow up a door, for the next section of the level you protect an informer, then you have to hack a console... and so on.

I think that I'll grow bored with the repetitiveness of the game very quickly.

In all fairness all reviewers looked at this game as sp game, which is really wrong. When they were reviewing l4d they looked at it as multiplayer game.

I have a feeling it might be a good game, but reviewers were to hasty with reviews, which forms average joe opinion. And we know what happens with masses and how easy to control them.

It might be really ****, I don't know 100%, but atleast I want to try it myself. As I found about reviews one thing: you can't trust them. Some games were destroyed by reviewers, but when I played them I really enjoyed. We will see this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I heard it runs like a dog on PC if you have an ATI card.

Anyone confirm?

Advertisement