Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fnz wrote: »

I'm also disillusioned by Bethesda's buggy games. Though it may have turned out to be a moderately enjoyable game, bugs made me quit Fallout 3 after, maybe, 25hrs playtime. Bethesda is given a pass on its core titles because nobody puts out games like them. Brink isn't a core title so I wonder how it will do.

Time = Money.

Problem is you can only account for so much time to do testing. If you do too much chances when you release your game it ll be obsolete compared to what s on the market already. Bethesda really have a habit of releasing games and that only see themselves shine after a month of patching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Fnz wrote: »
    The best strategy for any team seems to be 'stick together, at all times' and you'll be unstoppable.
    Yeah, except friendly AI doesn't do that, enemy AI does, and I can't get into a single multiplayer lobby where it's not unplayably laggy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well the lag seems to have settled down to an extent and when you do get into a game, it's a ton of fun. The 4-on-4 with bots padding other four members of each team is a glimpse of how good the game can be when it's finally up and running properly, but as it stands the game is in beta right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looking forward to playing this online tonight when psn is back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

disappointed by the multiplayer being so unplayable, sound and movement lag are terrible.

Solo play, the bots are fcuking stupid and never go where you want them to, even playing a medic is a nightmare when bots run facefirst into turrets..

The story was potentially excellent but played through very drab and uninterestingly.

It does have replayability for the challenges and unlocks, but thats it imo, and there isnt a whole lot to do for those tbh.

• Advertisement

I think that once the lag is fixed it'll be a great game, but whether the audience sticks around for it remains to be seen. I can see a lot of people trading it in for LA Noire on Friday if it's not fixed by then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it laggy online for all platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Is it laggy online for all platforms?
    PC has dedicated servers, and... well, is PSN back up in Ireland yet?

Healium wrote: »
    PC has dedicated servers, and... well, is PSN back up in Ireland yet?

Tis indeed I haven't had a chance to try it online yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I have experienced no lag issues at all on PC so god bless dedicated servers.

Single player bots are annoying as hell, as others said enemy team stick together while your own run around like headless chickens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They have released an update trying to fix the lag issues, at least they are working on it. Haven't had a chance to try it yet picked it up on PS3 so have been waiting.

http://www.bone-idle.eu/index.php/brink-update/

Brink got off to a difficult start with the PSN being down and reports of numerous lag issues on launch, but Bethsoft have move quickly to start addressing them. A new update has been released which hopefully should address a few of those issues. Below is a press release from the company.

With PSN back up, the configuration change for Brink is being rolled out tonight and will be available worldwide soon. Want to know if you’ve gotten the update? Look for “Big Teams” in the public match settings (see screenshot above).

Original Post: We have been working on updates for Brink to address the lag issue that some people have reported they were experiencing.

In the meantime, we have made a configuration change for 360 users (which will be available to the PS3, once PSN is up) that alters the number of human players when matchmaking for “Campaign” and most ‘Freeplay’ modes to eight total human players. This new configuration will allow those connecting to and hosting matches (particularly those with lower upstream bandwidth) to more reliably find and connect to quality hosts via the match-making process – resulting in less lag and more fun. This change is being rolled out today and will be available worldwide.

For players who haven’t been experienced lag, we’ll still support 8v8 on all maps via a new ‘Big Teams’ configuration in Freeplay, and through custom settings in Private matches. There is no download required for this update and it will be available automatically the next time you log in to play Brink and launch either campaign or standard Freeplay matches. This should allow players new to the Ark as well as veterans to find quality matches suitable to their preferred play style.

We are also releasing an incremental update for PC players via Steam that addresses AI, GPU, and server issues. See the full release notes on Steam. Many of these fixes are being included in the full update for the 360 and PS3 versions.

We would like to thank you for supporting Brink and for your continued feedback. To show our appreciation for your support of Brink, we will be making the first DLC for Brink available for free when it is released. This DLC is planned for June and will offer additional maps and new content for players. We’ll continue to provide announcements about the next title update, as well as the first DLC release as that information becomes available

This patch isn't a fix, it gimps the game, forcing you to play with God-awful AI bots because their netcode is so broken. If the game isn't fixed by Friday I'll be getting rid of it for LA Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

This patch isn't a fix, it gimps the game, forcing you to play with God-awful AI bots because their netcode is so broken. If the game isn't fixed by Friday I'll be getting rid of it for LA Noire.

How much would you get for trading it in for LA Noire???

I still haven't been able to give my PC copy a good look at yet, been busy attempting to study for my finals, but finished them on friday so then I'll be free, can't wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Total Bisscuits` take on Brink

• Registered Users Posts: 53,981 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

First time hearing Total Bisscuits, he's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game seems to be working ok for me today anyway, game itself is a bit fast for my liking i generally prefer a slower pace but enjoyable enough.

I must say its actually growing on me,had some great games this evening with proper teamwork.

yeah TB is great, some people dislike him but ive always found his opinions to be similar to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Game is still broken for me.

I was on the UK Rock Paper Shotgun server and was having weird twitch lag like before. It was like shudder on the spot. I also lost all my sound during a fire fight and never got it back.

Buggy buggy game

What is with Bethesda and buggy games? Had to leave four games because of the lag, finally get into one that's working as it should before it dawns on me than I'm the only person there and every other player is a bot.

Even tried the offline challenge mode there and it's hilariously bad. The enemy AI are all crackshots who home in on you whether there's a line of vision to you or not, while your own team bumble around the place, running into walls, ignoring objectives and dribbling on their own shoes.

Despite all this I can see the game it should be and it's a damn fine game, there are moments when it all clicks and it plays brilliantly but I'm running out of patience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

reminds me of the hope and hype of Shadowrun on the xbox and pc a few years ago, you were better off playing alone at home :P. at least the bots were ok.
    Damn, i had hopes and dreams dashed by another buggy game.

• Advertisement

Reviews are getting better as the days since release tick by and people understand they need to approach this game differently.
    Personally im really starting to enjoy it,players are grasping what to do and how to play Brink thus making it a far more rewarding and better game than on day one.
    Also the patching of technical issues has helped immensely, i experience no lag or performance issues at all now.
    The more i play the more i like it.
    Nothing like playing an engineer defending an area, building my turret and planting mines and then using my sniper rifle to cover all angles :)
    Seriously those who dismissed the multiplayer after an hour or two playtime have really no right to pass judgement.
    Its not a totally brilliant game but its sure is a lot of fun especially if you like team based online gaming with no such thing as lame one shot kills.

Quick quote from one of the latest reviews of the PC version.

"Brink is an absolute breath of fresh air. It may take a little longer to get your head around the fact it must be played slightly differently to see it at its best, but that’s exactly what I wanted. People are so keen to shout “copycat” when a new game releases with nothing but new maps to differentiate itself from its predecessors, that I’m rather disappointed by the way some seem to have dismissed Brink so soon. But don’t let the ‘haters’ put you off – given a good chance, Brink is amazing – if you can’t see that then I can do nothing but feel sorry for you, because you’re missing out on something special."

Dcully wrote: »
    Reviews are getting better as the days since release tick by and people understand they need to approach this game differently.
    Personally im really starting to enjoy it,players are grasping what to do and how to play Brink thus making it a far more rewarding and better game than on day one.
    Also the patching of technical issues has helped immensely, i experience no lag or performance issues at all now.
    The more i play the more i like it.
    Nothing like playing an engineer defending an area, building my turret and planting mines and then using my sniper rifle to cover all angles :)
    Seriously those who dismissed the multiplayer after an hour or two playtime have really no right to pass judgement.
    Its not a totally brilliant game but its sure is a lot of fun especially if you like team based online gaming with no such thing as lame one shot kills.

Quick quote from one of the latest reviews of the PC version.

"Brink is an absolute breath of fresh air. It may take a little longer to get your head around the fact it must be played slightly differently to see it at its best, but that’s exactly what I wanted. People are so keen to shout “copycat” when a new game releases with nothing but new maps to differentiate itself from its predecessors, that I’m rather disappointed by the way some seem to have dismissed Brink so soon. But don’t let the ‘haters’ put you off – given a good chance, Brink is amazing – if you can’t see that then I can do nothing but feel sorry for you, because you’re missing out on something special."

Probably the hardest FPS iv ever played. The pace of a team goes a million miles an hour.

Map wise the chokepoints have to be countered using intelligent use of the map which is where SMART really shines.

If you want to win you need every class working together. Sustained defences won't work without any soldiers resupplying people with ammo. Love how grenades are implemented it isn't a BS grenade spam but more a item to disable a enemy for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Stev_o wrote: »
    If you want to win you need every class working together. Sustained defences won't work without any soldiers resupplying people with ammo. Love how grenades are implemented it isn't a BS grenade spam but more a item to disable a enemy for a few seconds.

Yeah, and even funnier was the complainers who realised G wasnt the "auto-win" button like in most other shooters and they might actually have to apply skill and tactics to their FPS game :eek:

Its a good game, lag is pretty bad but that will hopefully be patched soon. Also if they gave out the map editor and let the community go mad with the SMART system and the secondary objectives could lead to some interesting maps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hmmm, interested again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I think I'll wait for it to come down in price. Sounds intriguing but I'm ain't splashing €50 on it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

After playing Brink online, I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more. It still has its problems though.

One of my main gripes is not to do with the game itself, but the multitude of players that join games and are just running-and-gunning, those who are just not able to engage in team play. I find even bots do better team work than a lot of players - last night in particular there were a few players who scored less than bots, purely because the bots use their boosting abilities and engage in the objectives.

Unfortunately you can't just have a good game with any ol' pick-up-group.

Notorious wrote: »
    After playing Brink online, I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more. It still has its problems though.

One of my main gripes is not to do with the game itself, but the multitude of players that join games and are just running-and-gunning, those who are just not able to engage in team play. I find even bots do better team work than a lot of players - last night in particular there were a few players who scored less than bots, purely because the bots use their boosting abilities and engage in the objectives.

Unfortunately you can't just have a good game with any ol' pick-up-group.

Join the RockPaperShotgun server. It has a password on it and generally the people playing are at least coherent with what the game is about.

http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4616

how do you know if your playing against bots or humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Stev_o wrote: »
    Join the RockPaperShotgun server. It has a password on it and generally the people playing are at least coherent with what the game is about.

http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=4616

Cheers, but I'm playing on the PS3 unfortunately. Lag made Brink unplayable for me last night. I'll give it another go tonight, but if its the same deal I'll be saying goodbye to brink. Its a shame as I'm really starting to enjoy brink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Notorious wrote: »
    Cheers, but I'm playing on the PS3 unfortunately. Lag made Brink unplayable for me last night. I'll give it another go tonight, but if its the same deal I'll be saying goodbye to brink. Its a shame as I'm really starting to enjoy brink.
    Well we might join in for a co op game sometime. Considering that we're Irish, there mightn't be as much lag if one of us hosts.

Advertisement