Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Stev_o wrote: »
    No offence but BC2 is diabolically bad compared to any other Battlefield game. The over reliance on players using M203's and RPGs to kill people instead of using bullets really annoys me. It's a skillless game.

Still waiting for a game to hook me like CS:S did where you didn't have bullsh*t kills by people with noob friendly grenade launchers.

Well thats your opinion , i on the other hand loved it, real combat has more than jump crouching headshots with odd grenade thrown in, i love the whole atmosphere in bc2 it's a huge game with tonnes of ways of getting the upper hand on the enemy, i liked CS too but got boring like 10 years ago after each game felt like deja vu, but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

KilOit wrote: »
    Well thats your opinion , i on the other hand loved it, real combat has more than jump crouching headshots with odd grenade thrown in, i love the whole atmosphere in bc2 it's a huge game with tonnes of ways of getting the upper hand on the enemy, i liked CS too but got boring like 10 years ago after each game felt like deja vu, but thats just my opinion.

HOW DARE YOU !!

In fairness tho... cs > every other shooter ever made !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Whatever dude, be careful of those gamestop managers. They don't like to be taken for a ride, I bet you got sinister plan for brink too.

And yup, I was really hyped for this game, but after stream I got mixed opinion, which I already wrote down. If game will be **** and not what I expected, then I wont deny it.

As for cod. Yup it's ****, but as I mentioned before: if cod players wont like it, well it means it will be a good game. Anything that is not cod these days - something unique!
    enjoy your friday night ritual then ZZZZZZZZ do we really need to know?

you really are taking psn issues to heart.. why?

i only stated i am considering not getting brink as it looks at best average, i then stated i wouldnt be happy re psn being down as it was mentioned in the thread and u went off saying dont start a console war?

anyways chill out they are consoles and games not life and death..

D-K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/brink-review

I'm really starting to wonder if Eurogamer is even worth looking at for reviews anymore. They gave it 8/10 while the Joystiq review absolutley rips it apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Glad I didnt order this, I wasnt very excited about it in the first place and looked like it could be a turkey alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

CombatCow wrote: »
    Glad I didnt order this, I wasnt very excited about it in the first place and looked like it could be a turkey alright.

It struck me from the start as being some sort of "dress up" FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm reviews ain't that bad. It will suffer from homefront syndrome prety badly.

I think I will still pick it up and give it a go. It cant be that bad... I hope. Still will have a look at gttrailers review.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Some real mixed reviews floating around alright. I was watching someone live streaming it on the PC and the multiplayer doesn't look too bad. Looks really team based, it kind of reminds me of Killzone 2 with some TF2 influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Quick look on Giant Bomb, they're not impressed with it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-brink/17-4101/

1up gave it a D too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Averaging 70 after 14 reviews on Metacritic, won't be getting this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/why-were-not-review-brink-and-why-you-shouldnt-buy-it-yet.ars

Ars has an article on the screwed up review process for Brink, and why they won't review it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

This is one advantage of getting europe getting games released later than the US. I may have bought this already if it was unlocking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Mixed reviews are disappointing. To be honest, I pay no heed to reviews, they're just opinions. The only thing I've seen that turns me off the game is that apparently there's no lobby system. You have to join a game, and then invite your friends in, one by one. For a game apparently so focused on team-based multiplayer, this is hilariously fúcking stupid. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

I don't care about the parkour - it probably wouldn't work on my laggy connection

I don't care about the story too much - It's meant to be multiplayer-focused

I don't care about some of the blatant imbalances - When I'm playing with friends, it'll still be fun

But when they're going to make it difficult for me to party up with my friends, I'm changing from "day one purchase!" to "Hmm, will I even be able to play with my friends?". All of the friends I made while playing Monday Night Combat are switching over to Brink, but with no lobby system, it looks like a pain in the ass to get all 8 of us on the same team. We were looking to set up a competitive team, but I don't see how this game can have any competitive future with no lobby system, and apparently no tracked stats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Healium wrote: »
    To be honest, I pay no heed to reviews, they're just opinions.

So... you prefer to base your purchasing decisions on what, exactly - marketing and 'back of box' bullet-points? :confused:

the only thing I've seen that turns me off the game is that apparently there's no lobby system. You have to join a game, and then invite your friends in, one by one.

Aw jesus, are you serious? that is shocking stuff considering its a team based multi player essentially.

Heh, apparently the Joystiq reviewer didn't play very much

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts
    Fnz wrote: »
    So... you prefer to base your purchasing decisions on what, exactly - marketing and 'back of box' bullet-points? :confused:
    If I was living in the 90's, yeah.

I look up developer walkthroughs, I look up gameplay videos, I follow games from early development through to shipping, I read unbiased forums and see what people think of it (i.e. Not the Beth/Splash Damage forums)

Reviews are just personal opinions. Fallout 3 and Borderlands are two games that apparently everyone loves, but if I was to do a review on them, I'd tell you they were shíte. Metacritic is a much better marker, because it's highly unlikely that all the reviewers are butthurt at the same time.

Apparently with any more than 4 people on a server, the game is stupidly laggy. There's a day 1 patch released today, which should fix it, but I hate the idea of day one patches. There's also a lot of texture problems. I really don't like the idea of shipping an unfinished game, and patching it over the following months. This happened with Bioshock 2, and patches end up just playing catch-up to fix day 1 bugs, instead of adding to the game (balances etc.)

Again, I could forgive all this, if there was a frickin' lobby system! But, that's almost unforgiveable for me :(

Well I have to agree with him. I check reviews, but I check them more for gameplay videos. I check proper gameplay videos, not developer gameplay videos. Read about games, check forums. I newer ever trust only review.

I am a bit of oddball allright, reviews destroyed k&n 2, but really really loved it... I am not saying that I would puck it up over hitman sequel, but it was decent game with reviewers just bitching.

So for brink reviews are mixed. Gameplay videos I sow did not left me impressed. Still want to see what gt trailers will show and say.

I would like to hear what helix will say about it here too. So far with mk and shift 2 he was spot on.

Heh, apparently the Joystiq reviewer didn't play very much

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts

Could it be that the reviewer has more than one gamertag for xbox live perhaps do ya think?

if he played the game for hour or two, its unacceptable tbh.

also, gametrailers have video review up....http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-brink/713695

Could it be that the reviewer has more than one gamertag for xbox live perhaps do ya think?

if he played the game for hour or two, its unacceptable tbh.
    Yeah, it's certainly possible, but I'd say very unlikely. Why wouldn't he want to add the Achievements to his own account? And why bother paying for Gold on 2 accounts?

I'd say he just didn't like it, and made up half of that review :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Yeah, it's certainly possible, but I'd say very unlikely. Why wouldn't he want to add the Achievements to his own account? And why bother paying for Gold on 2 accounts?

I did feel like it was rushed. The biggest (perhaps only) mention of SMART was in his closing paragrah, really lazyy journalism IMO.

I think CVG has the most unbiased review of them all, they address the bad poits equally to the good.

I'm still picking this up straight after work on Friday!

At lot of the time review code doesn't contain achievements either. I've heard it mentioned on a couple of podcasts a reviewer saying they wanted to pick up a retail copy of the game so they could play through it again for achievements.

Those achievement points could just be from the preview event he attended and he may have had either a different account for his debug 360 or the code he got to review didn't have achievement points tied to it.

It's suspicious, I remember the same thing happening to an IGN reviewer before, but I don't think it's definitive proof.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

GT review up

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-brink/713694

my bad didnt see someone linked it already.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    At lot of the time review code doesn't contain achievements either. I've heard it mentioned on a couple of podcasts a reviewer saying they wanted to pick up a retail copy of the game so they could play through it again for achievements.

Those achievement points could just be from the preview event he attended and he may have had either a different account for his debug 360 or the code he got to review didn't have achievement points tied to it.

It's suspicious, I remember the same thing happening to an IGN reviewer before, but I don't think it's definitive proof.
    Nuh-uh. Started playing on the 5th, last played a few hours ago

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/GameCenter/Achievements?titleId=1112737753&compareTo=The%20Pencil%20Rain

You're probably right, all I'm saying there's a chance he has a separate account that he was playing through single player on and jumped onto that account to check out the multiplayer. A slim chance, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I look up developer walkthroughs, I look up gameplay videos, I follow games from early development through to shipping, I read unbiased forums and see what people think of it (i.e. Not the Beth/Splash Damage forums)

Reviews are just personal opinions. Fallout 3 and Borderlands are two games that apparently everyone loves, but if I was to do a review on them, I'd tell you they were shíte. Metacritic is a much better marker, because it's highly unlikely that all the reviewers are butthurt at the same time.

Not to put words in your mouth, but how can you pay no heed to (professional?) reviews, saying they're "just opinions", when at the same time accepting opinions from (the world's only) "unbiased" games forum?

I'm surprised you're not more suspicious of a developer, showing you their game in an uncritical manner, than of the reviewer, who comes to the title without the same emotional baggage. The developer is hardly unbiased.

Your method sounds like more work than just consuming reviews while being mindful of your own personal biases. "Just personal opinions"? Yes! But a decent review should not leave you wondering how the opinion was formed.

Dcully wrote: »
    GT review up

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-brink/713694

my bad didnt see someone linked it already.

Any good? I an still at work, can't check :(

My head says - it will be ****.

My heart says - feck yeah! Get sum!

Not to put words in your mouth, but how can you pay no heed to (professional?) reviews, saying they're "just opinions", when at the same time accepting opinions from (the world's only) "unbiased" games forum?

I'm surprised you're not more suspicious of a developer, showing you their game in an uncritical manner, than of the reviewer, who comes to the title without the same emotional baggage. The developer is hardly unbiased.

Your method sounds like more work than just consuming reviews while being mindful of your own personal biases. "Just personal opinions"? Yes! But a decent review should not leave you wondering how the opinion was formed.
    Well, considering that the Joystiq reviewer did a very sloppy job, I wouldn't use the word "professional". A reviewer is just one opinion. If I hop onto the Xbox.com forums, for example, I'll see tons of different opinions, from people who love and hate the game. Gives me much more of an insight than just one single reviewer.

I don't JUST look at game trailers. I look at them for a general insight into the game. The recent Brink trailers were particularly good. Of course they're not going to criticize their own game, but it shows me in-game footage of all the different classes, SMART, different map locations etc. That's just one aspect of how I judge a game. As I said, I check out player opinions, too.

Consuming reviews is a bit of a waste of time, to me. In Brink's case, the reviews go from 4/10, up to 9/10. I'd much rather watch gameplay videos, read what players have to say, and make up my own mind. Don't need a reviewer to tell me whether I should buy a game or not

Well, considering that the Joystiq reviewer did a very sloppy job, I wouldn't use the word "professional". A reviewer is just one opinion. If I hop onto the Xbox.com forums, for example, I'll see tons of different opinions, from people who love and hate the game. Gives me much more of an insight than just one single reviewer.

No one's saying go by one single reviewer. I read as many reviews as I like to get a range of opinions that are generally more in depth than a bunch of mini-reviews in a forum. I use both to come to a decision whether to buy a game or not. Fair enough not reading reviews from game reviewers, but personally I prefer to read them as I generally know where the reviewer is coming from and know their record on previous games etc. and how closely they matched my opinion of games. I also listen to a lot of podcasts where games are discussed in depth too to come to a purchasing decision.

Personally, I won't be purchasing Brink anyway based on some of the reviews from sites whose opinions I do value, and the fact that I'm fairly bored of shooters these days and was looking for something different. Unfortunately Brink looks different yes, but only in the sense that it's bad, which is different to the good games I'm used to playing! Looks like I'll be holding out until Battlefield 3!

• Advertisement

just checked GT review.

i must sound like a complete idiot, but i will still buy it. i know its not what we were promised, but it still looks prety fun. i am looking at it as a part time fun, when i am not shooting down helicopters with my tank in vietnam...

Advertisement