Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brink

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What did they promise?
    All i know and what interested me all along is its a team based multiplayer fps using a very similar engine to borderlands.
    Im not interested in the single player regardless of whether its epic or crap,this is an online team based fps, mw2 and black ops players should look elsewhere tbh, this game will not reward those interested in only their K/D ratio and killstreaks.
    Work as a team for your team or GTFO is what its all about, i for one welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    What did they promise?
    All i know and what interested me all along is its a team based multiplayer fps using a very similar engine to borderlands.
    Im not interested in the single player regardless of whether its epic or crap,this is an online team based fps, mw2 and black ops players should look elsewhere tbh, this game will not reward those interested in only their K/D ratio and killstreaks.
    Work as a team for your team or GTFO is what its all about, i for one welcome it.

true that, as i mentioned before, if cod players will hate it, then its a briliant game!

i was more interested in smart system and customization and ofc proper team play. from GT review i did not found much bad points in it, its still prety much same game, just maybe with let down single player. multiplayer looks class, so i am still buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Gamestop are giving the Psycho pack free with purchase

PreOrderPackPsycho.jpg

Healium wrote: »
    Gamestop are giving the Psycho pack free with purchase

PreOrderPackPsycho.jpg

that is prety damn cool, i love the bad on the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Doesn't look very good tbh, reviews sort of backing that up to an extent. Always thought it was gonna play like a bad TF2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm kinda regretting ordering this now,I was kinda hoping it would have a good single campaign and that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm kinda regretting ordering this now,I was kinda hoping it would have a good single campaign and that doesn't appear to be the case.
    That was never going to happen, nor did Splash Damage claim it would. It blends multiplayer and single-player together :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That was never going to happen, nor did Splash Damage claim it would. It blends multiplayer and single-player together :)

oh well I'm stuck with it now,better make the most of it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A game that is torn apart by the press but gets a good eurogamer review. Where have I seen this before...

Quick check on wiki... yep Splash Damage the developer is British.

oh well I'm stuck with it now,better make the most of it :)
    If you get into it, you could spend the next couple of months at multiplayer, I'd say. (That's what I plan to do, anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

so far these are console reviews only - I am actually fairly confident PC users will get a better experience with this game for the first time in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A game that is torn apart by the press but gets a good eurogamer review. Where have I seen this before...

Quick check on wiki... yep Splash Damage the developer is British.

yup pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Just got an copy of the game earlier on there for ps3, will give it a blast later after a jog and grub and give my initial impressions of what its like guys ;)

Just got an copy of the game earlier on there for ps3, will give it a blast later after a jog and grub and give my initial impressions of what its like guys ;)
    You're the second person I've seen get it early! How?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Oh by the way, the Joystiq review is legit too, or at least he's played more than a few hours of it.

The IGN eejit has removed the accusation from the piece now after basically being made a fool of all over twitter which is satisfying. Griffin McElroy is one of the better Joystiq writers in my opinion and would be surprised if it had been true.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Oh by the way, the Joystiq review is legit too, or at least he's played more than a few hours of it.

The IGN eejit has removed the accusation from the piece now after basically being made a fool of all over twitter which is satisfying. Griffin McElroy is one of the better Joystiq writers in my opinion and would be surprised if it had been true.

eh? what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Number of reasons that gamer tag achievements issue could happen.

I've 2 Xbox accounts because i have 2 xbox's, and i can't seem to log into one without the other then requiring a reactivation which takes ages. I've also both set up on different TV's as one is 1080p but that's in the bedroom, my office TV is a 1080i. Ill often play it on the old TV but then want to see what it's like in 1080p

I also might receive a PS3 and Xbox version so will test both but i won't play through them both ill finish one and look at the other for maybe an hour or 2 just to see the difference.

how did ya manage that :O?

No, actually.

The IGN powers that be edited his post without his permission.

https://twitter.com/#!/OhmWrecker/status/67988105478680576

https://twitter.com/#!/OhmWrecker/status/67994114175676416

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Not having a party system means ill be giving it a miss, if you cant play easily with friends in a team based game then theres no point.

• Advertisement

iMuse wrote: »
    Not having a party system means ill be giving it a miss, if you cant play easily with friends in a team based game then theres no point.

this is shocking to be honest. how come no party system. its just plain wierd. :(

Just got a chance to play it there for half hour, its impossible to give impressions on this game as the a.i. is so bad, it really is a multiplayer team based game, and when you have stupid bots doing stupid things it gives negative impressions of the game:p. the mechanics of the game remind me alot of the half hour i played of crysis 2 mp(graphics also)if anybody is playing that. didn't use the parkour at all tbh.
    It feels like a run and gunner due to confined tight maps, yet is a team based title so will be interesting to see if the 'cod'ders will enjoy it.
    in bc2 i have time to think about how i am going to help my team out with ammo/medi pack etc. and go for the flag, in this it seems too fast paced for that level of team work to be fully applied and taken advantage of in a strategic way.
    (no partying up will not help this scenario also i fear)
    if anybody has this pre-booked for ps3 don't play it til its back on the psn.

Him still being an eejit on Twitter isn't proof of anything. IGN removed it because it was horse****. I think one thing today has shown is that gaming websites will defend their writers if they feel they are in the right. IGN haven't. Every other gaming journalist from every other website has stepped in to defend Griffin. Says more than a screenshot of some achievements does.

The only thing I have seen proof of today is that the guy is an ass. He disagreed with someone's review and instead of just calling it a difference of opinion called the guy a liar and said he should be fired.

Him still being an eejit on Twitter isn't proof of anything. IGN removed it because it was horse****. I think one thing today has shown is that gaming websites will defend their writers if they feel they are in the right. IGN haven't. Every other gaming journalist from every other website has stepped in to defend Griffin. Says more than a screenshot of some achievements does.

The only thing I have seen proof of today is that the guy is an ass. He disagreed with someone's review and instead of just calling it a difference of opinion called the guy a liar and said he should be fired.
    Just out of interest, what other journalists have stepped in? The only journalist (I think!) that I follow on Twitter supported the sloppy journalism claim

I'm sorry, but the only asses here are the McElroys (moreso his brother, Reviews Editor). Any scrap of empathy I had for them and Joystiq was gone when I read this https://twitter.com/#!/JustinMcElroy

Did he say he should be fired? Post got edited, can't remember the exact wording. In fairness, I would have believed it if he claimed less hours. While I won't know for certain until Friday (when I get Brink myself), I find it really, really strange that he couldn't finish the campaign after TWELVE HOURS. I mean, c'mon. Sure, the AI might be bad, but 12 hours seems like a huge length of time, especially for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

this is shocking to be honest. how come no party system. its just plain wierd.

In my opinion, I don't give a rat's ass about a party system. As long as my friends are in game, that's fine with me.

In my opinion, I don't give a rat's ass about a party system. As long as my friends are in game, that's fine with me.

True, I just thought such thing as party lobby is a standard in consoles. It's always way easier to make a party and go look for a game.

I am still getting this thought. I doubt my friends will get it, and my ( looks around to check if batman watching) cod friends wont get it 100%.

Just out of interest, what other journalists have stepped in? The only journalist (I think!) that I follow on Twitter supported the sloppy journalism claim

I'm sorry, but the only asses here are the McElroys (moreso his brother, Reviews Editor). Any scrap of empathy I had for them and Joystiq was gone when I read this https://twitter.com/#!/JustinMcElroy

Did he say he should be fired? Post got edited, can't remember the exact wording. In fairness, I would have believed it if he claimed less hours. While I won't know for certain until Friday (when I get Brink myself), I find it really, really strange that he couldn't finish the campaign after TWELVE HOURS. I mean, c'mon. Sure, the AI might be bad, but 12 hours seems like a huge length of time, especially for this game.

Jeff Gerstmann, Alex Navarro, Shawn Elliot (former journalist), they're just a few of the people that I follow that I saw, there were more, but I just saw retweets and stuff so can't think of them off hand. Justin can be a bit of a pompous ass himself at the best of times, his rants at Sony over the PSN being hacked weren't exactly professional, but I think it's justified in this case to be honest. OHMWrecker questioned the integrity of his whole site, his reviewers and his brother, so I can understand him being royally pissed off.

Something to do with achievements happened to an IGN reviewer a few years back too. It's just not a valid way of judging game time. Hell Griffin had achievements that he got on the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th of May, so I can easily see him having played a few hours a day. There's no story in Brink really, and if he's not liking the game after 10 or 12 or hours, he's not going to like the game. He also had 50% of the achievements, the gamerscore was just low. The main reason I'd find it hard to believe is that Joystiq have a feature for writers who stop a playing a game they're reviewing out of sheer frustration. Grifffin could have easily taken this option and given up after a few hours and it would've sounded a lot more scathing that a two star review. So I'm inclined to think he played closer to the 12 hours than the 2 or 3 that OHMWrecker claims.

The OHMWrecker guy made a couple of other uniformed statements about Jeff Gerstmann's firing from Gamespot too on Twitter yesterday too that really made him look a bit clueless. Repeatedly asking why Jeff had never spoken out about it, which is obvious to anyone really that clearly part of Jeff's termination was that he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. It just makes him look desperate. It just smacks of attention-seeking based on a disagreeing with a review.

When I first saw it I was half hoping it would be true because I wouldn't mind 'em being taken down a peg or two. I do like Joystiq and the staff (including both McElroys) there most of the time, like every website they go over the line occasionally. I don't think this is one of those times though. I'll try and unearth some of the other twitter comments. Don't think it's going away for a couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Yeah, the whole calling out Joystiq thing was a debacle and the writer who did it should be sorely sorry/shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

This is the first time I've really missed the PSN since it's been down. I got my copy of Brink yesterday and I can't give it a proper test run online. Here's hoping it'll be back up later in the week.

• Advertisement

aren't they fundamentally connected?
    If 16 is the max in a game and your friends go in to a game with 12 already in, there would be a strong chance the server would fill up in seconds maybe less and you would be thrown in to a different game.

Thats exactly what kept happening before i had discovered the lobby/partying up in other MP games.

if you all head in to a game from the lobby as a party you would be thrown in to a server that would accommodate the 4 of you.

Advertisement