Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

cdb wrote: »
    For anyone interested, v10_RC5_final is now available.

Flashed this this morning from 9.5.Went smooth enough. Had to use odin for base ginger, then clock work mod for RC5 final.
    Titanium only restored half the apps, so that was a pain.
    To be honest not much difference from 9.5, which I found great.
    Battery seems OK, but way to early to say.
    So far so good.

lewis wrote: »
    I`m as much a noob as the next lad man, I just like Insanity, but I`ve a feeling now that a few people are getting the SGS 2 we`ll be left behind and forgotten...

You're probably right, but the phone with all the modding is now an excellent machine.Can't get much faster or smoother.........can it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    You're probably right, but the phone with all the modding is now an excellent machine.Can't get much faster or smoother.........can it??

Well this is where Insanity comes in, the good thing about it is you get the best and latest base ROM, then you add in what you want, unlike other where they come with a load of ****e that you might not use.

I do notice some lag now since I flashed the Steel Blue theme, but I can live with it, but I think 8.2 will be a flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Well this is where Insanity comes in, the good thing about it is you get the best and latest base ROM, then you add in what you want, unlike other where they come with a load of ****e that you might not use.

I do notice some lag now since I flashed the Steel Blue theme, but I can live with it, but I think 8.2 will be a flyer.

Whatever Insanity has left out you can add in and whatever Darky's has left in you can just uninstall with titanium backup. It's not a big deal to get rid of an app you don't want.
    At least with Darky's you don't need to go search through an entire thread to find what needs to be installed to get GPS working. You don't need to flash a different file to get your gmail to sync etc etc.
    I've tried several versions of both Darky's and Insanity and the fastest smoothest least buggy ROM yet has been Darky's 9.5.
    Insanity is grand and all but I'm beginning to wonder if nitr8 is paying you to champion his ROM or something!!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Whatever Insanity has left out you can add in and whatever Darky's has left in you can just uninstall with titanium backup. It's not a big deal to get rid of an app you don't want.
    At least with Darky's you don't need to go search through an entire thread to find what needs to be installed to get GPS working. You don't need to flash a different file to get your gmail to sync etc etc.
    I've tried several versions of both Darky's and Insanity and the fastest smoothest least buggy ROM yet has been Darky's 9.5.
    Insanity is grand and all but I'm beginning to wonder if nitr8 is paying you to champion his ROM or something!!!

I do have to agree with you that it can be awkward trying to find things you might want, he could make the site with some starter off instructions, but he keeps saying that this is`nt for beginners, then I said well your always going to get new people, beginners and all wanting to try it out so if you had things laid out better you would`nt have to deal with all the annoying questions, like my GPS aint working, etc.

I`d like to try Darky`s latest but, I`ve read so many story`s of people having trouble with the installation, I`m not saying that that`s because of the ROM, but he has one of the biggest following I`ve seen and they can`t all be beginners?

Any ways, when my battery dies I`m going to try the Crysis theme, but I`d say I`ll have to revert back to 220 DPI, many theme don`t support MDPI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can the insanity talk not go in its own thread, this is the Darkys thread.

Darky tweeted earlier that he got holidays on Friday so he can start working on v10 final, we need the thread back

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can the insanity talk not go in its own thread, this is the Darkys thread.

Darky tweeted earlier that he got holidays on Friday so he can start working on v10 final, we need the thread back

+1 I'm getting tired of the Darky's vs Insanity direction the thread is taking too. Ive looked at Insanity and many others but they are not for me. I like Darkys's approach and come in here for news on v10 and other developments, can we keep it to that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

What are the advantages of different DPI within the one phone? Isnt it just a different resolution?

What are the advantages of different DPI within the one phone? Isnt it just a different resolution?

Well I`ll found out your answer, but I got if from using "that" ROM, so I`m not sure if its aloud to tell you......lol

But I`m a nice dude so the gain is since there`s more DPI the picture is sharper/clearer and looks better all around, it can also run a little faster/smoother.
    The one downside to it is most themes don`t support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Raoul

If I want to put this kernal on. Do I just simply put it on the sd and then go to darky rom config and flash it?

Raoul wrote: »
    If I want to put this kernal on. Do I just simply put it on the sd and then go to darky rom config and flash it?

Put it on sd and use clockworkmod recovery to install zip from sd, be sure to back up in case of any probs. You must be on v10 RC, its not compatible with Froyo.

I'm itching to update from v9.5 but am waiting for more bugs to be ironed out and some of the features in 9.5 to work again, like BLN.

Put it on sd and use clockworkmod recovery, be sure to back up in case of any probs. You must be on v10 RC, its not compatible with Froyo.

I'm itching to update from v9.5 but am waiting for more bugs to be ironed out and some of the features in 9.5 to work again, like BLN.

I haven't found any problems at all!!

But I do miss BLN :(

For anyone interested, v10_RC5_final is now available.

Flashed this this morning from 9.5.Went smooth enough. Had to use odin for base ginger, then clock work mod for RC5 final.
    Titanium only restored half the apps, so that was a pain.
    To be honest not much difference from 9.5, which I found great.
    Battery seems OK, but way to early to say.
    So far so good.

Are there any guides out there showing how to move from 9.5?

Are there any guides out there showing how to move from 9.5?

Everything you need is here.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/rom-darky-v10-rc6-i9000-i897-stable-but-not-final.2420/

It's RC6 now. Going to upgrade this evening.

Everything you need is here.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/rom-darky-v10-rc6-i9000-i897-stable-but-not-final.2420/

It's RC6 now. Going to upgrade this evening.

Is there much difference in RC6 and RC5_final?

Raoul wrote: »

Is there much difference in RC6 and RC5_final?

It's in the change log

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PMT,

I've been out of the Darky Rom loop for a few weeks and now I see everything has changed. First of all I heard Darky had quit making ROM's (to get a proper job to buy a car or something silly like that!!), and 9.5 was going to be the very final ROM from him but then I see a Gingerbread based beta was released and now I see people are referring to RC5 final and RC6 beta.

Can you (or anyone else) bring me up to date with what's happening?

Also, I'm still on 9.2 and happy but if things have moved on considerably and RC6 has some major benefits in terms of speed, GPS functionality, battery life etc etc I'd like to know what they are so I can set up a nice little upgrade project for the weekend.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Hi,

I flashed to darky 9.2 last night for the seond time. Nie Rom however the battery life for me is shocking. A full charge lasted from eight o clock to four o clock with minimal usage. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I had wiped the data from the phone, deleted everything from both the internal and external memory cards and installed as per instrution on XDA.

The first time I was on Darky the battery wasnt great but it would almost last the day. I then tried Insanity but that was giving me a good few force closes so I deided to give Darky annother go.

Can anyone recommend a different ROM one preferably with good battery life as what good is the phone if the battery cant last a day.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

cwboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I flashed to darky 9.2 last night for the seond time. Nie Rom however the battery life for me is shocking. A full charge lasted from eight o clock to four o clock with minimal usage. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I had wiped the data from the phone, deleted everything from both the internal and external memory cards and installed as per instrution on XDA.

The first time I was on Darky the battery wasnt great but it would almost last the day. I then tried Insanity but that was giving me a good few force closes so I deided to give Darky annother go.

Can anyone recommend a different ROM one preferably with good battery life as what good is the phone if the battery cant last a day.

Thanks

There are a few apps that suck battery life and dont appear in the battery usage thing in 2.2.1. I found that google maps is a serious problem, even if data is disabled for some reason. "GPS Status" app too. Android itself has a battery hog bug that still hasnt been fixed even in the latest bugfix release. Fail.

On Darkys 10rc5.3 I got over 3 days battery life with minimal usage as an experiment. Usually at the end of a day I've got 30% or so left so I charge anyway. With a smart phone and a 4" screen you can't expect it to last for ages.

also calibrate your battery. That might help things slightly.

• Advertisement

There are a few apps that suck battery life and dont appear in the battery usage thing in 2.2.1. I found that google maps is a serious problem, even if data is disabled for some reason. "GPS Status" app too. Android itself has a battery hog bug that still hasnt been fixed even in the latest bugfix release. Fail.

On Darkys 10rc5.3 I got over 3 days battery life with minimal usage as an experiment. Usually at the end of a day I've got 30% or so left so I charge anyway. With a smart phone and a 4" screen you can't expect it to last for ages.

also calibrate your battery. That might help things slightly.

You should really try a release of V10. As far as I can see there isn't any bugs. The battery life is so much better. Plus remember to charge the phone fully before flashing as this will calibrate the battery.

I can get two days out of my battery at a reasonable usage level. But usually I use it more than the norm and have about 30 or 40 left and charge it.

Darky needed time out for personal reasons, but he's back now working on v10 final. He's in school, not working, is only 18, needs a car like all 18 year olds :D

As the official Samsung software is buggy theres a big task ahead for all rom makers, but it will get there eventually if they keep plugging away at the bugs and add back in broken stuff. I'll move when its further ahead, I'm itching to get to gingerbread now at this stage.

cwboy wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

You should have a look in running services, I`ve found apps running in the back round when I`m not even using them, after every reboot the apps where there each time and I had to disable them, so go in there and disable any you don`t need, you`d be surprised how much RAM you`ll free up.

V10 final guys, I'll be flashing this during the week as I don't have the time till then
    http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/if-you-cant-wait-v10-final.2754/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Installed v10 final with no wipe from RC6 using CWM earlier. Some minor bugs being reported on the forum but only noticed one so far. Gmail app wouldn't launch. Easily fixed by uninstalling the gmail app then reinstalling from the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

V10 final guys, I'll be flashing this during the week as I don't have the time till then
    http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/if-you-cant-wait-v10-final.2754/

Currently on 9.3 so would I need to wipe or just a flash without wipe and upgrade?..

I don't fancy reading through all them pages over on Darky's forum....

Edit: Just came across this there : http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-rc6-need-to-flash-dark_core_2-2-first.2382/

Looks like a full wipe is required ad it's running a new JVB based rom, would that be correct in saying?...

Anyone here flash up from 9.3 / 9.5 etc?....

shmeee wrote: »
    Currently on 9.3 so would I need to wipe or just a flash without wipe and upgrade?..

I don't fancy reading through all them pages over on Darky's forum....

Edit: Just came across this there : http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-rc6-need-to-flash-dark_core_2-2-first.2382/

Looks like a full wipe is required ad it's running a new JVB based rom, would that be correct in saying?...

Anyone here flash up from 9.3 / 9.5 etc?....

Dude, if you don`t fancy reading up on it, then don`t flash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Installed v10 final with no wipe from RC6 using CWM earlier. Some minor bugs being reported on the forum but only noticed one so far. Gmail app wouldn't launch. Easily fixed by uninstalling the gmail app then reinstalling from the marketplace.

Flashed v10 final yesterday. Was still on 9.5 before.
    Notice much better battery life already.
    One thing of note though:
    After applying the Voodoo lagfix the phone slowed to a crawl. Disabled the lagfix again and phone was back to normal. Flying along.
    Enabled lagfix again this morning and phone slowed to a crawl agiain.
    Running now with no lagfix. Delighted with v10.
    No bugs apart from the lagfix one.

G1032 wrote: »
    Flashed v10 final yesterday. Was still on 9.5 before.
    Notice much better battery life already.
    One thing of note though:
    After applying the Voodoo lagfix the phone slowed to a crawl. Disabled the lagfix again and phone was back to normal. Flying along.
    Enabled lagfix again this morning and phone slowed to a crawl agiain.
    Running now with no lagfix. Delighted with v10.
    No bugs apart from the lagfix one.

Speed/smoothness wise, how is it?
    Also how do it handle with a fair few apps on it?
    GPS/3G any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

Dude, if you don`t fancy reading up on it, then don`t flash it.

I only asked a simple question...

I have flashed before and had no problems and will again but just asking what peoples experiences here are from flashing up from 9.3 etc?....

Is that a problem for you...

If anyone asked a question here, as they did before, I helped them out, and I was hoping someone here would do the same for me....

Advertisement