Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

pwurple wrote: »
    When you say inside Lal Quila, do you mean IN the indian restaurant? Like a separate section/room, or you sit in the indian and they bring you a different menu?

It's in the same restaurant. Same staff, just a different menu. It's in Ballincollig too, owned by their sister restaurant there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Will def check out Rooster Pil Pil soon, sounds right up my street.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Will def check out Rooster Pil Pil soon, sounds right up my street.

Damn good value too. Get the voucher on Grabone while you can. :) delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Techmaster wrote: »
    It's in the same restaurant. Same staff, just a different menu. It's in Ballincollig too, owned by their sister restaurant there also.

Are you not talking about the roosters piri piri which is next to Haveli Indian restaurant?? Haveli doesn't have anything to do with this restaurant, if it is the one you are on about.

Edit: Sorry, just checked the grab one voucher you are talking about and it seems there are 2 very similar restaurants in Douglas for chicken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

Called into Ivory Tower last night and ohhh suits you!! Must say I was loverly so so nice, and the ladies working in there made the night the nicest waitresses we have had in a long time...Must say I did end up taking half my dinner home as the portions this time were huge the taster menu is defiantly the best bet if you don't eat that much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Two cafe's to recommend.

Oscar's on Cook street. Had a lovely breakfast in there. Basically a mini-Irish, sausage, rashers, eggs, mushroom... But they've done it with wild boar bacon and wild boar sausages. 7.50 for brekkie. They serve the stuff in little canteen trays rather than plates, which is a bit faddy, but I got over it. Sandwich menu looked really good as well.

Alchemy on barracks street. I've never been in there before last week, but it's a gorgeous spot. Covered in old books and comfy seats, I think it's also part bookshop, and they have a swapping book area, where you can pick up books and take them away/leave other ones etc. very comfortable spot, where you can happily spend a whole afternoon chilling out.

leahyl wrote: »
    Are you not talking about the roosters piri piri which is next to Haveli Indian restaurant?? Haveli doesn't have anything to do with this restaurant, if it is the one you are on about.

Edit: Sorry, just checked the grab one voucher you are talking about and it seems there are 2 very similar restaurants in Douglas for chicken!!

Yep both sound incredibly similar!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Alchemy on barracks street. I've never been in there before last week, but it's a gorgeous spot. Covered in old books and comfy seats, I think it's also part bookshop, and they have a swapping book area, where you can pick up books and take them away/leave other ones etc. very comfortable spot, where you can happily spend a whole afternoon chilling out.

+1 to Alchemy. Great little spot. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Went to Huguenot again last night (this time upstairs for a full meal, not tapas). I never realized how big it is upstairs. Really nice setting. Food was top notch too. I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, was in Oscars a few months ago, nice place, sandwiches were tasty. Haven't been to alchemy yet but it sounds lovely.

Yesterday went to twenty on Anglesea, had an absolutely gorgeous crusty baguette (arbutus bread) with chicken, roast peppers, rocket and pesto butter - absolutely gorgeous. Had juice also, which was carrot, orange and mint - refreshing! Then bought a piece of gluten free carrot cake and a loaf of their brown bread to take away and both tasted amazing too! Really impressed with this place!

Was looking at the whazon brochure too and noticed that there's a new cafe/wine bar called Salt opening up soon neat Kennedy park on Victoria Road. Good to see that side of town getting more bars and restaurants :-)

Just Googled it now and it appears it is being opened by the previous owners of meades wine bar on oliver plunkett street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Looking forward to trying Brick Lane, the menu looks amazing. Right up my street. Anyone here tried it yet? Going to give it a few weeks before trying so any teething problems will be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying Brick Lane, the menu looks amazing. Right up my street. Anyone here tried it yet? Going to give it a few weeks before trying so any teething problems will be sorted.

menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

sporina wrote: »
    menu?

http://bricklane.ie/

Menu looks fab - be great to hear reviews. Brunch menu especially be interesting. Cork needs more of these type of options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anyone know about the new fish bar opening on Princes St? Could do with another nice fish place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Malari wrote: »
    Anyone know about the new fish bar opening on Princes St? Could do with another nice fish place.

Heard it's opening in the next few weeks.. from an ex Annies employee due to work there

northgirl wrote: »
    Heard it's opening in the next few weeks.. from an ex Annies employee due to work there

Anything like the fish bar in Electric idea, do you know?

Anything like the fish bar in Electric idea, do you know?

sorry, i haven't a clue as I've never been to the one in Electric :o
    he didn't really give any detail, was a very quick conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

whatever76 wrote: »
    http://bricklane.ie/

Menu looks fab - be great to hear reviews. Brunch menu especially be interesting. Cork needs more of these type of options

????

Is this not very very similar to a ton of places already on the go?

Like, I'm not saying it's a bad thing or having a dig at you or anything, but I don't get what makes this stand out so much (a flashy website maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

????

Like, I'm not saying it's a bad thing or having a dig at you or anything, but I don't get what makes this stand out so much (a flashy website maybe?).

My thoughts exactly.
    It will all be down to the execution and quality of ingredients but I find it hard to get excited about another burger and pizza joint that does eggs benedict too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tried Coqbull for the 2nd time at the weekend, after been underwhelmed the last time, I really enjoyed it this time round.

Had the ploughmans burger with sweet potato fries, wolfed it down every bite.

Another vote for Oscars, had the grilled chicken sandwich twice, really tasty and filling. Good quality Arbutus bread, nice side of homemade slaw and a lovely apple dipping relish.

One of the lads who owns Brick Lane used to work for Ernest so they should know a thing or 2 about good bar food. Sober Lanes chicken goujons are amazing to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

????

My thoughts exactly.
    It will all be down to the execution and quality of ingredients but I find it hard to get excited about another burger and pizza joint that does eggs benedict too!

I was told that one of the chefs working there was involved with Liberty Grill so to that end, I'd expect decent quality. From the look of the site - it's a nice looking spot, it's in the city centre - near the new developments of the capitol & convention centre (fingers crossed that gets going), I think that, all things going well - it's a business that, while not massively unique, is still something to be excited about from the POV that, given the other businesses around that area, has the ability to develop into a very good spot for a bite to eat & with that - it's still good to see Cork continuing to develop.

I'm aware you're not criticising it, I see your points but I think that it's another investment & would like to see something in the old Classic premesis thrive - particularly given that the lads involved are young entrepreneurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It's Quinlan's. I'm from Killarney and they have a very popular restaurant in Killarney town. It's more of a fancy chipper. Kinda half chipper/half restaurant. But the fish is very tasty and always gets great reviews! They have had a few fish shops around Kerry for ages, and only started the restaurants in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lia_lia wrote: »
    It's Quinlan's. I'm from Killarney and they have a very popular restaurant in Killarney town. It's more of a fancy chipper. Kinda half chipper/half restaurant. But the fish is very tasty and always gets great reviews! They have had a few fish shops around Kerry for ages, and only started the restaurants in the past few years.

Yeah, I know the one in Tralee. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

????

More around the brunch aspect of it for weekends the options look great to me and hopefully will do well - I'm in Dublin a lot ( I know cant compare but we are second city after all !) and the brunch seen at weekends is thriving especially Sun and when in cork at weekends I find am pretty limited for Sunday afternoon for good quality different type brunch menu that is not liberty grill etc. this just stood out to me and delighted to see these type of offerings popping up in the city .

whatever76 wrote: »
    when in cork at weekends I find am pretty limited for Sunday afternoon for good quality different type brunch menu that is not liberty grill etc. this just stood out to me and delighted to see these type of offerings popping up in the city .

I'm a brunch fan as well, great to see more places doing it around Cork.

If you're ever stuck again, here's my list of places that do it
    Sextant
    Goldbergs
    River Lee Hotel
    Fenn's Quay
    Lewis Glucksman Gallery
    Liberty Grill
    Idaho Cafe (this one isn't open sunday, just saturdays and midweek)
    Serendipity
    Paradise Cafe (crepe place on french church street)
    Nash 19 (no sundays but is open saturdays now)
    Soho
    6ix
    Blackrock Castle
    Bodega
    Amicus
    East Village
    Electric

That's a good list!

I thought 6ix was gone now?

That's a good list!

I thought 6ix was gone now?

Ah no, is it? I liked that place.

Ah no, is it? I liked that place.

Yes, but apparently they have been reincarnated at 1011 on Phoenix St (near Crane Lane). I haven't been there, so not sure what the set up is or if they do food. I hope they do, because I really liked 6ix too.

Yes, but apparently they have been reincarnated at 1011 on Phoenix St (near Crane Lane). I haven't been there, so not sure what the set up is or if they do food. I hope they do, because I really liked 6ix too.

Interesting, thanks! Will try to check it out...

I'm a brunch fan as well, great to see more places doing it around Cork.

If you're ever stuck again, here's my list of places that do it
    Sextant
    Goldbergs
    River Lee Hotel
    Fenn's Quay
    Lewis Glucksman Gallery
    Liberty Grill
    Idaho Cafe (this one isn't open sunday, just saturdays and midweek)
    Serendipity
    Paradise Cafe (crepe place on french church street)
    Nash 19 (no sundays but is open saturdays now)
    Soho
    6ix
    Blackrock Castle
    Bodega
    Amicus
    East Village
    Electric

Don't think Liberty Grill or Fenn's Quay are open Sunday either. Definitely going to try some of the others though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Anyone any idea what's going on in Crowley's on MacCurtain Street? Walked past earlier and noticed alot of work going on in there, the signs in the window indicate some form of restaurant opening in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement