Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Apt8 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what's going on in Crowley's on MacCurtain Street? Walked past earlier and noticed alot of work going on in there, the signs in the window indicate some form of restaurant opening in there.

New BBQ place, Son of a Bun http://www.sonofabun.ie/who.html due to open 25th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Son of a bun sounds like a replica of Bunsen in Dublin, which seems ok, but the staff are terrible, they have bizarre table service in a casual burger place and it's too expensive, but I think these things can easily be changed, so I'm holding out hope for them!

I think I have mentioned Liberty grill here before but I have to mention it again, me and the OH went there last week, we both had a coffee/tea, both had a spicy eggs benedict thing with avocado (forgot the name!) and we shared a desert for just over €20! You do have to queue to get a table but there are other places in town charging way more for the same thing!
    Edit: obviously it is lovely aswell not just cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭sporina

Apt8 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what's going on in Crowley's on MacCurtain Street? Walked past earlier and noticed alot of work going on in there, the signs in the window indicate some form of restaurant opening in there.

i like this street - i was in the shellbourne last week and only realised how active that area is; you can get food from the fish wife and have outside in the shellbourne.. great buzz - the queue for the fish wife was never ending…

taras tea room is lovely too - and gallaghers seems to do well..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    i like this street - i was in the shellbourne last week and only realised how active that area is; you can get food from the fish wife and have outside in the shellbourne.. great buzz - the queue for the fish wife was never ending…

taras tea room is lovely too - and gallaghers seems to do well..

Also Novecento and The White Rabbit. Star Anise and Gourmet Burger just around the corner.

Sakura ftw! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Also Novecento and The White Rabbit. Star Anise and Gourmet Burger just around the corner.

Also Francescas Café - which in trending an No1 restaurant in cork on trip advisor . Anyone been ?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Francescas-cafe-culture/234770966705865#_=_

No, but friends who work on MacCurtain Street and have been to Francescas said it was only ok. Must try for myself though.

ncur wrote: »
    Sakura ftw! :D

Forgot about that.

Casual dining central, with Star Anise, Green's and Issac's for a more upmarket feed!

I'm surprised that an Asian Street food place hasn't popped up there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Heading to Jacob's tomorrow night, quietly excited about the turf and surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Asian Street food

God its everywhere now isnt it. Total buzz word and not really very accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looking forward to trying Son of Bun when it opens. So many new places (either actual new businesses or just places starting to serve food) so my friend made a list of places to try over the next few months - too many to keep track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

J Mysterio wrote: »
    God its everywhere now isnt it. Total buzz word and not really very accurate.

Asian Street Food

Gourmet

Artisan

3 terms which mean absolutely nothing anymore.

gimmick wrote: »
    Asian Street Food

Gourmet

Artisan

3 terms which mean absolutely nothing anymore.

Homemade. Really? In whose home?
    Craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Can anyone tell me how far in advance you have to book Strasbourg Goose? I'm hoping to go there this night next week with my girlfriend (1 year anniversary) but a friend told me it's normally busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

bleach94 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how far in advance you have to book Strasbourg Goose? I'm hoping to go there this night next week with my girlfriend (1 year anniversary) but a friend told me it's normally busy

Did you phone them yet? I'd guess a week would be ok, but just call and ask?

I see Quinlans opened this week - anyone been ?

whatever76 wrote: »
    I see Quinlans opened this week - anyone been ?

Is Quinlan's the seafood bar on Princes street? I was in Yuan Ming Yuan the other night, walked past it and thought it looked fab altogether. There were some people eating, but they had a nice board up outside the door listing fresh Brill and a 'wine of the moment' <-teehee. They did a great job on the decor anyway, it looks very inviting.

Loads of interesting places on Princes street now actually. Siesta, the new mexican place, and the new Tapas one... Tapa? Teca? Tedo? Something like that. Ivory tower is still there, and YMY of course.

Yuan ming yuan was as good as ever for the dim sum. Great dumplings and a standard irish-chinese menu, plus the very interesting stuff for anyone more adventurous. Chicken feet, taro root, duck tongue, preserved eggs, all those funky items.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Going to Roosters Piri Piri in Douglas for the first time tonight, heard good things. Any tips on what's good there?

pwurple wrote: »
    Is Quinlan's the seafood bar on Princes street? I was in Yuan Ming Yuan the other night, walked past it and thought it looked fab altogether. There were some people eating, but they had a nice board up outside the door listing fresh Brill and a 'wine of the moment' <-teehee. They did a great job on the decor anyway, it looks very inviting.

Loads of interesting places on Princes street now actually. Siesta, the new mexican place, and the new Tapas one... Tapa? Teca? Tedo? Something like that. Ivory tower is still there, and YMY of course.

Yuan ming yuan was as good as ever for the dim sum. Great dumplings and a standard irish-chinese menu, plus the very interesting stuff for anyone more adventurous. Chicken feet, taro root, duck tongue, preserved eggs, all those funky items.

yep that's the one .... https://www.facebook.com/quinlansfish ; look forward to checking it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

whatever76 wrote: »
    yep that's the one .... https://www.facebook.com/quinlansfish ; look forward to checking it out .

I've heard very good things about the one in Tralee anyway so hopefully the quality is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

bleach94 wrote: »
    Going to Roosters Piri Piri in Douglas for the first time tonight, heard good things. Any tips on what's good there?

Piri Piri or Pil-Pil?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Brick Lane is absolutely excellent I can confirm. Had lunch there twice in the last week or so. The stand out for me was the pulled pork wrap w/avocado, chutney and caramelised onion with potato bravas, aioli and slaw on the side. €7.50 great price in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

rob316 wrote: »
    Brick Lane is absolutely excellent I can confirm. Had lunch there twice in the last week or so. The stand out for me was the pulled pork wrap w/avocado, chutney and caramelised onion with potato bravas, aioli and slaw on the side. €7.50 great price in fairness.

That sounds amazing. I love potato bravas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went to Liberty Grill for brunch Monday - Brick Lane wasn't open, that was at half 10 - wasn't sure what the story was so moved on whilst hungry, must try it but does anybody know what their hours are? Not seeing anything on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

bee06 wrote: »
    I've heard very good things about the one in Tralee anyway so hopefully the quality is the same.

Oh yum. That was my favourite treat when I lived in Tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eternal wrote: »
    That sounds amazing. I love potato bravas.

Well there not like the Spanish spicy type, just delicious small fried potatoes with aioli on the side. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

pwurple wrote: »

Siesta is very average, Tedo is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Had a very poor meal in the Clarion recently. We had booked into the Kudos restaurant but on arrival the restaurant was packed so after a bit of confusion we were put into a hastily arranged extra seating area. We waited a long while and eventually had to ask for menus. Placed our order but after a few minutes the waitress was back to say they were out of some of our choices. We both ended up with spring rolls for starters, fairly basic but with a weird, cold sloppy noodle mess as the garnish. The main courses were good to be fair, but dessert was awful again. Apple crumble was in a burnt, pre-made base with very little apple and lots of burnt crumb. To be honest we would have left after all we ordered being out of stock but stuck around as we had a gift voucher. Wouldn't like to have spent the €80 on that meal though.

By contrast we've eaten twice lately at the South County in Douglas and had absolutely fabulous meals with drinks for under €30 total, far nicer.

Siesta is very average, Tedo is dreadful.

Good to know, will bump them down the list of places to try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

I don't get kudos at all, I think of all the times I had one nice thing there and that was the fish cake, but tis more like a potato cake. wine is extortionate and the food isn't worth it I remember getting chicken in there at lunch and you could not cut it, it was like rubber

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement