Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh man, it's steak. Where do you eat steak?

You've picked the most expensive thing on the menu. €23.50 for the 9oz, which to my mind is very reasonable for that quality food. Where else are you getting craft butcher produced, angus herd, reared locally (well, on a farm near carrigaline rather than in the city), grass fed, aged a minimum of 28 days, yadda yadda... cooked for you in a restaurant, including chips, salad, onions, mushrooms and a pepper sauce, for less than that?

And , there's an 18 euro steak as well there if it's too pricey.

Even that kip n-square (closed down thank feck) did an 8oz for 28 euro, and it came with nothing.

Market lane - 8oz, no chips, 25 euro.
    Electric - 8oz , with chips, 27.
    Soho - 25.

Next you'll be complaining your caviar and champagne is too expensive. I mean, sheesh.

Sorry to harp on, I don't even eat there, but it has it's style and people like it. Just.... some people and prices of food. We've no idea how good we have it. Go eat that same meal in London and come back and tell me how much it costs.

It sounds like you've got shares in them !!!

Look, it's my opinion and I stand by it. For that matter, some of the others you mention are similarly over priced for what you get. I mentioned the steak because I like my steak.

Clearly people like it (as can be evidenced by the queues outside it from time to time), but my opinion is that there's a touch of the emperor's new clothes about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I with the others on this. Liberty Grill is a very relaxed restaurant with friendly staff that has fantastic food at 'going rates'. There is nothing pretentious about it at all IMO.

pwurple compared the price of steak in a few other places and it shows that LG is not overpriced. If you think all of them are overpriced, then you need to readjust your valuation of steak in Ireland. For a quality fillet steak, you are going to be paying premium for it and that means €23-25+ for it.

To add a few more...
    Greenes - €28 for a 10oz rib eye
    Cornstore - €29 for a 8oz fillet
    Scoozis - €22 for a 10oz rib (no offence to Scoozis but if I wanted steak, it's not the place I'd go)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mumha wrote: »
    For that matter, some of the others you mention are similarly over priced for what you get. I mentioned the steak because I like my steak.

I like steak too. I'll ask again, where do you normally eat it?

The best places for steak in Cork in my opinion are Elbow Lane, and the Thady Inn. I think both of those also charge a lot more than 23.50 for it.

Have you a recommendation to add that we can all try?

I like steak too. I'll ask again, where do you normally eat it?

The best places for steak in Cork in my opinion are Elbow Lane, and the Thady Inn. I think both of those also charge a lot more than 23.50 for it.

Have you a recommendation to add that we can all try?

Whoa, take a step back. You said "There are no tablecloths or stuffy waiters and winelists, and it's packed full of students. The prices are fairly low, they serve burgers and pancakes."

Because I usually have steak, I usually look at the steak price and a 9oz for €24 wouldn't be fairly low to me. I'd agree about the Thady Inn, which is under €24 for a bigger steak, along with generous portions of chips, salad and
    sautéed onions.

Most restaurants would sell a 10oz steak, so selling a 9oz at €24, is equating it to a 10oz at €26-27.

Of restaurants I would prefer, Rossini's pepper sirloin is the best in the city for me. Man Friday, the Bosun and Gallo & Galetti would be other haunts of mine for sirloin.

Whoa, take a step back. You said "There are no tablecloths or stuffy waiters and winelists, and it's packed full of students. The prices are fairly low, they serve burgers and pancakes."

What is your point here btw? Do you have anything to add to the quote besides "step back"? You called the place pretentious and over priced. While I don't agree that the LG is "packed" with students it's not somewhere that has some exclusive clientele. Also, it is not over priced considering the high quality of food and service.
    Because I usually have steak, I usually look at the steak price and a 9oz for €24 wouldn't be fairly low to me. I'd agree about the Thady Inn, which is under €24 for a bigger steak, along with generous portions of chips, salad and
    sautéed onions.

Most restaurants would sell a 10oz steak, so selling a 9oz at €24, is equating it to a 10oz at €26-27.

Of restaurants I would prefer, Rossini's pepper sirloin is the best in the city for me. Man Friday, the Bosun and Gallo & Galetti would be other haunts of mine for sirloin.

I can't comment on the quality of the Thady Inn steak but that is waay outside the city. You have to take that into account when looking into the price. Aside from Rossini (who I'm not a huge fan of anyway) none of those other restaurants you are referring to are in the city. You're not comparing like with like. Several other popular, high quality restaurants in the city have been listed that have steak at comparable or higher prices. I don't get how you are insisting that LG is overpriced (or pretentious)? I think it's an unfair statement about a really great restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Had lunch in Deep South today and was quite pleased with it. They've got a food truck out back that does all the food now rather than preparing food inside like they used to before.

The truck does BBQ style food like pulled pork, burgers of various kinds, loaded nachos and chips, ribs and wings. Had a tray of pulled pork with fries and a salad myself for just under €12, similar in style to the White Rabbit. Probably prefer the meat I got there, but I liked the sides here more, the chips were proper thick, home cut ones with skin on and well done with lots of crispy bits. :D My friends had burgers and were both very pleased with their food as well.

It only opens at 3pm on weekdays though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nice one, hadnt heard of that place, sounds good. Will definitely check it out!

Bacchus wrote: »
    What is your point here btw? Do you have anything to add to the quote besides "step back"? You called the place pretentious and over priced. While I don't agree that the LG is "packed" with students it's not somewhere that has some exclusive clientele. Also, it is not over priced considering the high quality of food and service.

1. All I'm saying is that I found it pretentious, others including yourself, don't agree. Maybe it isn't normally, but when I dined there, I found it to be pretentious. No more than that.
    2. The other poster had mentioned that it was fairly low priced, and I just replied that 9oz at €24 wasn't that low priced.
    I can't comment on the quality of the Thady Inn steak but that is waay outside the city. You have to take that into account when looking into the price. Aside from Rossini (who I'm not a huge fan of anyway) none of those other restaurants you are referring to are in the city. You're not comparing like with like. Several other popular, high quality restaurants in the city have been listed that have steak at comparable or higher prices. I don't get how you are insisting that LG is overpriced (or pretentious)? I think it's an unfair statement about a really great restaurant.

I was responding about the Thady because the other poster had mentioned it in the first place !!! You should try it, there's no airs and graces about the place. They only do one hot main course i.e. the sirloin (!), and let the meat speak for itself.

The only issue I have with Rossini is when they overbook during busy holiday times, but the food is excellent.

I take the point that it's not "low priced". It is competitively priced though with other restaurants in the city.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the pretentious bit. I've really no idea how it could have left that impression (and to be fair, you haven't elaborated on it so it is difficult to understand where you're coming from).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was going to say similar to Bacchus - probably average priced is a better description than low-priced.

But I don't really understand the pretentious comment. I have no problem with people having different opinions on restaurants I like, but you didn't really explain. Rossini's is more tablecloths, candles and formality for what is pretty basic food and in my experience not very well cooked, so in my mind that would be the more pretentious place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok guys I think the liberty grill discussion has been argued from both sides now so let's move on, thanks .

Keep restaurant recommendations coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Everywhere has bad days unfortunately. I had a great lunch in Lib grill last week with good service, the time before that I was ignored at the door and barged past by one of the staff. It was most certainly pretentious on that occasion. It's reasonably priced, it's not cheap though.

Then again, I like the Ramen pad thai, so take me with a pinch of salt...

On steak, Thady is either 26 or 28 euro... hasn't been 24 for about a decade.

So, I've two to recommend from the last while. Classics of cork really. Both populated mainly by the 30+ crowds I'd say, grown up vibes. Not a teenybopper to be seen.

Jacques, great food, lovely friendly staff. I had starter of seafood gratin, lovely. Then duck confit with lentils, t'was bloody gorgeous, and had a great chat with them about the photos in there, and the books of photos done by the family. Lovely relaxing spot, handy for crane lane for a few pre or post dinner drinks as well.

Jacobs on the Mall. Another Cork city stallwart. Been around for as long as I can remember. Beautiful building, it was the old turkish baths. Massive nude paintings on the walls. Good spot to bring the posh-loving vegetarian, vegan or gluten free person in your life for a special occasion, they have full separate menus catering for all of those. I stuck to the veggie menu this time, had tempura veg and a spicy lentil stew. Tempura was fab, light, crispy, lovely soy-based thing to dunk them in, and some lime jelly. Felt healthy despite being deep fried! Lentil stew was a little bit sweet for me, but I just prefer more savoury. Came with a beetroot hummus and other bits. Older crowd here too. 35+ maybe. Saw only one couple who looked to be in their 20's, staring at their phones across the table from eachother for the night, don't think they were too happy. Possibly thought it was "pretentious". ;)

I really must try Jacobs again. I'm sometimes put off because it's off the beaten track a little so it looks a bit dead. Was it busy when you went, Pwurple?

Malari wrote: »
    I really must try Jacobs again. I'm sometimes put off because it's off the beaten track a little so it looks a bit dead. Was it busy when you went, Pwurple?

Yes, very busy. Jointed actually. They have a huge room down the back where the doors close, that had a big party in it. They had a long table of 30 up high which was occupied with a large group as well, and all the ground floor tables were also full. We had wanted a table at 8, booked a week in advance and could only get 7pm. Midweek.

Yes, very busy. Jointed actually. They have a huge room down the back where the doors close, that had a big party in it. They had a long table of 30 up high which was occupied with a large group as well, and all the ground floor tables were also full. We had wanted a table at 8, booked a week in advance and could only get 7pm. Midweek.

That's good! Must give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Malari wrote: »
    That's good! Must give it a go. :)

They have a really good early bird menu as well. It's one of my fav restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

+1 for Jacobs (damn I must be slipping into that over 35 group!)

Jacobs is probably the one restaurant left in Cork that I've always meant to go to but just never had. Great to hear that they do a good selection of veggie options (my better half will appreciate that :))

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jacobs is probably the one restaurant left in Cork that I've always meant to go to but just never had. Great to hear that they do a good selection of veggie options (my better half will appreciate that :))

Same here.
    For some reason, I've never been to Jacob's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I used to be a regular there, haven't been there in a while now. Glad to hear it's going well, I must call in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've never been to Jacobs either and it only came up in conversation the other day with someone in work and they were saying it was lovely so must try there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

We went in there and was all excited too because had always wanted to go in and we were overly impressed..

Milly33 wrote: »
    We went in there and was all excited too because had always wanted to go in and we were overly impressed..

Did you mean overall impressed? I had a look at the menu at it's quite different to a lot of the usual dishes you get in many places. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Yeah the staff weren't great. Spent a lot of the time chatting and it wasn't busy so they had no excuse,and the food for what it was, was not worth it..

Maybe we got them on the wrong day but I wouldn't rush back in there.

Yeah the staff weren't great. Spent a lot of the time chatting and it wasn't busy so they had no excuse,and the food for what it was, was not worth it..

Maybe we got them on the wrong day but I wouldn't rush back in there.
    Oh, thought you meant the opposite! That's a pity.

Yeah was surprised at them now. But again maybe it was a bad day. I would not diss it as such...Best of three is always good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I would not diss it as such...

Yet you just did :-)

Everywhere has bad days unfortunately. I had a great lunch in Lib grill last week with good service, the time before that I was ignored at the door and barged past by one of the staff. It was most certainly pretentious on that occasion. It's reasonably priced, it's not cheap though.

Then again, I like the Ramen pad thai, so take me with a pinch of salt...

Yes, that's what I meant by pretentious, in this case. We were lucky to be getting a table.

• Advertisement

On steak, Thady is either 26 or 28 euro... hasn't been 24 for about a decade.

Err...no.

I have the fortunate/unfortunate habit of taking pics of menus/food from time to time, and I have a pic from the first time I ate at the Thady and that was May 2013, the price was €23.75. If I could figure out how to upload pictures to this site, I'd upload a pic of the menu and the steak with trimmings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement