Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ludo wrote: »
    Yet you just did :-)

haha believe me that's not dissing it, that's being nice.. Dissing it would be what I would say about Café Mexicano and Ecos... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Mumha wrote: »
    Err...no.

I have the fortunate/unfortunate habit of taking pics of menus/food from time to time, and I have a pic from the first time I ate at the Thady and that was May 2013, the price was €23.75. If I could figure out how to upload pictures to this site, I'd upload a pic of the menu and the steak with trimmings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_how#faq_bie_faq_how_images

Ta dah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We went to Huguenot on Carey's Lane at the weekend for some tapas. The wine & food was yum though the cheese & cured meats platter could have done with more cheese. Really enjoyed the meal. The only negative I have was that we were downstairs and were pretty much the only people there so it lacked in atmosphere. Upstairs (for the main non-tapas restaurant I guess) was busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Err...no.

I have the fortunate/unfortunate habit of taking pics of menus/food from time to time, and I have a pic from the first time I ate at the Thady and that was May 2013, the price was €23.75. If I could figure out how to upload pictures to this site, I'd upload a pic of the menu and the steak with trimmings.

Thanks to ncur !

jzigwl.jpg

2v10u46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Thanks to ncur !

Hope I didn't put you on the spot there Mumha! Thanks for the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Milly33 wrote: »
    haha believe me that's not dissing it, that's being nice.. Dissing it would be what I would say about Café Mexicano and Ecos... :)

Go on.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Steak looks awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Dolce Vita, fair, ok, average. Not a patch on Gallo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭sporina

do they make their own pasta?

They say it's homemade anyway. It was a fine meal, but the main was probably of poorer quality than a pasta dish I'd make at home.

• Advertisement

They say it's homemade anyway. It was a fine meal, but the main was probably of poorer quality than a pasta dish I'd make at home.

and do/can you make your own pasta?

I love Gallo, it's great to have a nice restaurant in the Wilton/Bishopstown area at last. The manager Kasia, runs a very smoothly running ship, at front of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I love Gallo, it's great to have a nice restaurant in the Wilton/Bishopstown area at last. The manager Kasia, runs a very smoothly running ship, at front of house.
    I just had a look at their menu and it does look lovely however (and this is a gripe that I have with most restaurants) the price of deserts at 6.50 seems a bit much..I think that at 5e the restaurants are making enough of a profit but surely 6.50e is a bit much?Im not complaining as such its just that I find that most meals are good value but the cost of deserts/coffees can be a bit ridiculous especially when you go out as a family and everybody loves a desert..:)

Colser wrote: »
    I just had a look at their menu and it does look lovely however (and this is a gripe that I have with most restaurants) the price of deserts at 6.50 seems a bit much..I think that at 5e the restaurants are making enough of a profit but surely 6.50e is a bit much?Im not complaining as such its just that I find that most meals are good value but the cost of deserts/coffees can be a bit ridiculous especially when you go out as a family and everybody loves a desert..:)

In general, I agree with you, though the Chocolate Brownie and the Tiramisu are worth it imo.

They do have a value menu for €25, which is good value Starter/Main/Dessert & Tea/Coffee.

If I was to make suggestions myself, they are a little heavy on tomatoes (inc Kids menu), and the Sides at €5 are on the pricey side.

yeah i have to say apart from the value menue, g&g looks expensive for what it is; prob would not go the whole way to wilton for it..

on another note, I was in the fran well last night - ok not a restaurant but the pizza by pompeii was fabbb…. jesus - massive pizza for a tenner.. slice 3.50 (1/4 pizza)
    not a lot of topping choice but what they had was good; roasted red peppers, parma ham, chorizo, goats cheese, olives… wow the sauce was diving - and the base was so thin - like proper pizza -
    was a fab eve out the back in the beer garden - the place was so busy for a tuesday night - was good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Were you there at some sort of booked event? I thought they only did the pizzas on a Thursday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

From what I've seen they do pizza every night at the well now. And it is indeed good pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Good stuff, I've been meaning to get in there and try it but Thursday have never really suited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yeah, the pizza there is great alright, proper oven for it. Paired with the delicious beer, and it's no wonder the place is always so busy in the evening

JohnK wrote: »
    Were you there at some sort of booked event? I thought they only did the pizzas on a Thursday night?

no i was there with friends - they do pizza every night now… twas a great buzz

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    and do/can you make your own pasta?

Rarely, I usually get it in town and make the sauce myself. I don't see your angle here at all. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

10 bucks fir a 14/16" pizza with one extra topping. Proper stone oven. Job.

Rarely, I usually get it in town and make the sauce myself. I don't see your angle here at all. Strange.

sorry i don't mean offense - just wondering if you are into pasta;

personally if i am gonna pay for pasta when out, i expect it to be homemade..

Sorry, I was being cranky. I eat a lot of pasta alright. The pasta itself was nice and reportedly homemade. The sauce wasn't great, and the meat in it I didn't fancy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's surprising, I ate in Zamora recently and I had a lovely meal. It's a pity that person didn't have the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Had a fry in GoGos yesterday that was top notch, was in there close to closing & was given a loaf of bread to take away - had some just now with a bit of bread & jam - delicious stuff.

Also noticed a table next to me ordered two sweets & coffees - the portion of cake given was outrageous :eek:

Still must try the Sextant brunch, next on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had brunch in the River Lee hotel on Sunday, it was awesome. That deck they have over the water is beautiful altogether.. Big plants, tables have comfy couches, it's a lovely spot. They were great with kids, gave them colouring and zipped out with food for them quickly.

I had my favourite brunch thing, eggs benny (with a cocktail!). Nice crispy bacon, eggs were done right. Buddy had crab royale, which is the crab version of the same thing it looks like! They had loads on the menu, from scones and breakfast stuff, to proper lunch/dinner stuff like burgers and curries.

Delighted to find a good lunch place for a Sunday in the city, not much is open then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

.red. wrote: »
    We bought another grab one voucher this morning, this time for a new place in ballincollig called Rooster Pil Pil. €15 for a €30 voucher. We brought the kids to the cinema and went in after.
    The place is a copy of Nandos, the menu is even the same. Its got restaurant service tho and not the fast food type of service i hate so much in nandos.
    The food was fantastic, 4 different types of marinade available with 4 spice levels of each ranging from mild to very hot.
    We got 2 half chickens with "mild pil pil" on one and "hot mexican" on the other. The chicken was nice and juicy, cooked to perfection. We werent mad about the pil pil flavour but that was a personal preferance and nothing to do with the food. The mexican was delicious tho.
    the kids both had chips and garlic bread with 6 wings or a breast cut into strips. Bots were a fine sized portion with a small dessert included for €5.95.
    in total we had 2 kids meals, 2 mains, 2 teas and 1 adult dessert and it came to €44 so only cost €29 with the voucher. Great value even at full price.
    Its not the kind of place id go to for a big romantic gesture but for simple well cooked food its perfect. Just make sure all your party likes chicken.

This place is excellent. The family went there last week and it was so good that we've decided to go again tonight! The Douglas branch is situated inside Lal Quila. Staff are great.

GrabOne have a €40 voucher for €20 which includes drinks & dessert purchases too. Fantastic value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Techmaster wrote: »
    This place is excellent. The family went there last week and it was so good that we've decided to go again tonight! The Douglas branch is situated inside Lal Quila. Staff are great.

When you say inside Lal Quila, do you mean IN the indian restaurant? Like a separate section/room, or you sit in the indian and they bring you a different menu?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement