Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

dibkins wrote: »
    Oh yum. That was my favourite treat when I lived in Tralee!

had a look in today - looks class - but is it a casual restaurant or would you go there for a dinner night out?
    Siesta is very average, Tedo is dreadful.

i like tedo - had a prawn dish which was fab.. had a nice wine from NZ too,..

why didn't you like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Quinlan's... Zipped in for lunch (checking it out for possible revisit with some people next week)

It's casual enough, but sure you'd go for a casual dinner. Fish and chips mainly, with some fancier options, and there's a wine list and some beer on tap. Tables are a mix of booths and others.

Food was excellent anyway. We had turbot and monkfish. Monkfish came with this delicious sauce, like a very lemony hollandaise. Lick-the-plate good. Turbot was simply done, pan fried and came with a nice salad and chips. Both dishes were simple, fresh and very good, exactly like fish should be! I'm delighted to see another fish place in Cork, we should have them coming out our ears we are so close to the sea. They were doing a lobster salad as well which looked AMAZING when someone at another table ordered it.

Pricey enough for lunch now was the only thing. I think it's dinner prices at lunchtime too. Glass of wine was 6.50, I think both those mains were around 17. There were cheaper options though, like smoked salmon on soda bread, and whiting with chips, so we were splurging a small bit alright.

Oh yeah, it's sprog friendly. Colouring pencils, high chairs, the smallies were happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

pwurple wrote: »
    Quinlan's... Zipped in for lunch (checking it out for possible revisit with some people next week)

It's casual enough, but sure you'd go for a casual dinner. Fish and chips mainly, with some fancier options, and there's a wine list and some beer on tap. Tables are a mix of booths and others.

Food was excellent anyway. We had turbot and monkfish. Monkfish came with this delicious sauce, like a very lemony hollandaise. Lick-the-plate good. Turbot was simply done, pan fried and came with a nice salad and chips. Both dishes were simple, fresh and very good, exactly like fish should be! I'm delighted to see another fish place in Cork, we should have them coming out our ears we are so close to the sea. They were doing a lobster salad as well which looked AMAZING when someone at another table ordered it.

Pricey enough for lunch now was the only thing. I think it's dinner prices at lunchtime too. Glass of wine was 6.50, I think both those mains were around 17. There were cheaper options though, like smoked salmon on soda bread, and whiting with chips, so we were splurging a small bit alright.

Oh yeah, it's sprog friendly. Colouring pencils, high chairs, the smallies were happy out.

17e for a plate of simply cooked fish that came with what sounds like a correctly made hollandaise sauce sounds outrageous. 6.50 for what I assume was house wine, again sounds for no reason stupidly overpriced.

It's no wonder so many places go under so quickly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Milly33 wrote: »
    I don't get kudos at all, I think of all the times I had one nice thing there and that was the fish cake, but tis more like a potato cake. wine is extortionate and the food isn't worth it I remember getting chicken in there at lunch and you could not cut it, it was like rubber

I don't get Irish "fishcakes" at all. They're potato cakes with a hint of fish at best, worst of all is when they're called "Thai Fishcakes" just because they have a squirt of sweet chilli sauce. Real Thai fish cakes (Tod Man) are made of fish with green beans, herbs and spices. No spuds, no breadcrumbs and usually no sweet chilli sauce.

limnam wrote: »
    17e for a plate of simply cooked fish that came with what sounds like a correctly made hollandaise sauce sounds outrageous. 6.50 for what I assume was house wine, again sounds for no reason stupidly overpriced.

It's no wonder so many places go under so quickly here.

I mostly agree, but turbot isn't a cheap fish, nor monkfish, we both ordered off the daily specials rather than their regular menu, which is much cheaper. I don't want to put people off at all. there are definitely loads of cheaper options than what we got. Here's the link.

http://kerryfish.com/index.php/seafood_bar_menu?___store=default

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I mostly agree, but turbot isn't a cheap fish, nor monkfish, we both ordered off the daily specials rather than their regular menu, which is much cheaper. I don't want to put people off at all. there are definitely loads of cheaper options than what we got. Here's the link.

http://kerryfish.com/index.php/seafood_bar_menu?___store=default
    I passed by there yesterday and had a look at the menu and specials.
    Seems like they are going for a Fishy Fishy model : Simple, good quality, expensive and lunch price =dinner price.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was home recently and went to Yuan Ming Yuan for lunch. Ordered from the dim sum menu, which was excellent. Really lovely staff, who even remembered me from my last visit.

EDIT: Also had brunch in Brick Lane. Potato chorizo was huge and tasty, waffles with bacon also great. Got a sample of peanut butter brownie afterwards which was exceptionally good. Great decor, friendly staff and opens at 10am for brunch. As good as anything in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Any reco's for a decent but cheapish Chinese place in cork city for a family of 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

denlaw wrote: »
    Any reco's for a decent but cheapish Chinese place in cork city for a family of 5...

Yuan Ming Yuan is, imo, the only decent Chinese in Cork. Reasonable too.

Or more so called Asian Street Food style, Chilli Padi, Box Noodle, and Aroi are all pretty good and very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

sporina wrote: »

i like tedo - had a prawn dish which was fab.. had a nice wine from NZ too,..

why didn't you like it?

I just thought overall it was very unmemorable. It reminded me of something I'd whip up at home after a trip to M&S just not as nice!

Maybe I caught them at a bad time, but I won't be going to try again unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Cedrus wrote: »
    I don't get Irish "fishcakes" at all. They're potato cakes with a hint of fish at best, worst of all is when they're called "Thai Fishcakes" just because they have a squirt of sweet chilli sauce. Real Thai fish cakes (Tod Man) are made of fish with green beans, herbs and spices. No spuds, no breadcrumbs and usually no sweet chilli sauce.

Call em whatever you want-feckin tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Oh, I only ever went to Quinlans for fish and chip takeaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Heading to the ferry tomorrow in Ringaskiddy for checking at 3pm and would love to stop off somewhere really nice for a family lunch. We're travelling from Dublin so happy to head for places that might be out of the way a bit, don't mind driving an extra 30 minutes or so and avoiding the city centre as fully loaded with bike rack etc.

Was in Cork on business recently and had a great meal in Elbow Lane Brew and Smoke House. Based on this thread I was thinking of hitting Elm Tree in Glounthaune around 12:30 or Yuan Ming Yuan Chinese restaurant. That would give us 2 hours for a nice leisurely lunch and 30 minutes to get to check in for the ferry at 3pm.

Anyone comment on which of the two is the more memorable or suggest a better option? Given we are going to France and will be eating out a lot there plus BBQ'ing ourselves I'm kind of leaning towards a really good Chinese lunch before we go as we definitely won't get anything like that where we will be staying in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

Hi all,

Heading to the ferry tomorrow in Ringaskiddy for checking at 3pm and would love to stop off somewhere really nice for a family lunch. We're travelling from Dublin so happy to head for places that might be out of the way a bit, don't mind driving an extra 30 minutes or so and avoiding the city centre as fully loaded with bike rack etc.

Was in Cork on business recently and had a great meal in Elbow Lane Brew and Smoke House. Based on this thread I was thinking of hitting Elm Tree in Glounthaune around 12:30 or Yuan Ming Yuan Chinese restaurant. That would give us 2 hours for a nice leisurely lunch and 30 minutes to get to check in for the ferry at 3pm.

Anyone comment on which of the two is the more memorable or suggest a better option? Given we are going to France and will be eating out a lot there plus BBQ'ing ourselves I'm kind of leaning towards a really good Chinese lunch before we go as we definitely won't get anything like that where we will be staying in France.

Elm Tree is decent and has parking and is easy for the Ferry. Haven't tried Yuan but it's in Princes Street so you'll need to find parking.

You could (depending on time) head to Cobh and places like The Quays (similar to the Elm Tree) beside the water. Quick trip back across the Cross River Ferry to Ringaskiddy.

Could also try the Bosun in Monkstown. About 15 mins from Ringaskiddy with good parking. Seafood and exotic meats . Very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The Rising Tide in Glountaune is also excellent, I would go for either that or the Elm Tree.Lovely morning here in Cork, the ferry looked lovely as she passed Roches point lighthouse at 0900 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Hi all,

Fernhill golf club is just off the ringaskiddy road (about three hundred metres after the shannonpark roundabout), they do good, but basic lunches.

For chinese, somewhere in douglas would be more practical than the city centre. The Briar Rose used to be excellent (the only place I would eat when I came home from china) but has slid in recent years according to many.

The elm tree is good, I was there recently and was surprised how good the carvery was (not a fan of overcooked meat) but it will be very busy and I believe carvery only on a sunday, not sure if I'd detour for it.

Thanks Cedrus, eventually got parking in Cork (why are discs still being used?) And note sitting in Yuan Ming Yuan Chinese restaurant which opens at 12 BTW.

Thanks all. It looks like a nice place with friendly service. Just ordered some Dim Sum. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Thanks Cedrus, eventually got parking in Cork (why are discs still being used?) And note sitting in Yuan Ming Yuan Chinese restaurant which opens at 12 BTW.

Thanks all. It looks like a nice place with friendly service. Just ordered some Dim Sum. Yum!

Was the Dim Sum good? I have been promising myself to go to Yuan Ming Yuan to try it but still haven't done so. On a side note, you can pay for 1 to 2 hours street parking by phone using parkmagic.net but you do have to register first. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/pay_by_phone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ncur wrote: »
    On a side note, you can pay for 1 to 2 hours street parking by phone using parkmagic.net but you do have to register first. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/pay_by_phone.html

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Thanks Cedrus, eventually got parking in Cork (why are discs still being used?)
    On a side note, you can pay for 1 to 2 hours street parking by phone using parkmagic.net but you do have to register first. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/pay_by_phone.html
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry it was just about parking discs, don't have to use discs for street parking as there's an online system that can be used instead.

• Advertisement

Was the Dim Sum good? I have been promising myself to go to Yuan Ming Yuan to try it but still haven't done so. On a side note, you can pay for 1 to 2 hours street parking by phone using parkmagic.net but you do have to register first. https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/pay_by_phone.html

Dim Sum was actually very good, particularly enjoyed the scallop and prawn one.

I tried registering for the disc parking but it was an automated process which drove me crazy and took forever so I pulled out of where I was parked and eventually found a privately run car park which I used. I nearly gave up though and was going to just head to Ringaskiddy. Glad I didn't but I won't be in a hurry to drive into the city to spend money again as the disc parking lark is off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cedrus wrote: »
    Fernhill golf club is just off the ringaskiddy road (about three hundred metres after the shannonpark roundabout), they do good, but basic lunches.

For chinese, somewhere in douglas would be more practical than the city centre. The Briar Rose used to be excellent (the only place I would eat when I came home from china) but has slid in recent years according to many.

The elm tree is good, I was there recently and was surprised how good the carvery was (not a fan of overcooked meat) but it will be very busy and I believe carvery only on a sunday, not sure if I'd detour for it.

The Briar Rose Chinese is closed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Finally went to Cafe Paradiso last night. Amazing food. So so tasty. The haloumi main I had was pure heaven. The choc moose desert too was one of the best deserts I've had anywhere in a long time. Great starters + mains too.

Thumbs up for the new Spanish place across the road from costigans on Washington street. It's a little mom & pop style place. We had frittatas, the stuffed dates (best of the lot!) , calamari, and loads of other tapas. All Spanish wines. Had a coconut flan which was yum too.

It's fairly studenty there, because of location really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Ivory tower.

Not the worst dining experience I've had in Cork, But I can't recall worse food. I'll have to think a bit harder about it, somewhere must have been more disappointing.

Almost everything was over salted and over cooked. Felt like very cheap ingredients with flavors that were just never going to work well together.

Huge disappointment as I've been keeping it in my back pocket for a special occasion. Would never, under any circumstances return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Thumbs up for the new Spanish place across the road from costigans on Washington street. It's a little mom & pop style place. We had frittatas, the stuffed dates (best of the lot!) , calamari, and loads of other tapas. All Spanish wines. Had a coconut flan which was yum too.

It's fairly studenty there, because of location really.

Do you know what it's called - hadn't heard of it, would like to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Can anyone who's eaten in 14a tell me if it's worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bleach94 wrote: »

Not great, its the sister restraunt of amicus.

northgirl wrote: »
    Do you know what it's called - hadn't heard of it, would like to try!

It's called Feed Your Senses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

bleach94 wrote: »
    It's 50/50 what you get with 14a tbh

I've eaten there twice and enjoyed the food it has to be said, I did find the place fairly cramped however. I've also had one or two people state that they weren't overly impressed with it when they ate there.

It's worth trying at some point but if you have a list of places to try then I'm fairly certain there'll be better options available to you in the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement