Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Eaten in Sakura a lot, it's very good. They have a Bento Box at lunch for 8.99.

Possibly not relevant to Irish people but a Japanese colleague of mine (here for 6 months) said she much preferred Miyazaki (sp?), at the bottom of Barrack Street - was not impressed with Sakura at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Opinions on Charcoal Grill anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Techmaster wrote: »
    Opinions on Charcoal Grill anyone?

Used to love it, cheap and tasty for a quick bite.

Last time I went will be the last I'm afraid. Uncle Pete's owned it but sold it an Asian guy and the quality and portion size has plummeted.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I got 'Buffalo' chicken wings from them two weeks ago and there was nothing Bufallo about them - literally no sauce? Dip was meh too. Also obviously dry from reheating.

Have got Currywurst there too which, while nice, just isnt Currywurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

None of those restaurants is in Cork City!?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Malari wrote: »
    None of those restaurants is in Cork City!?

Jai Ho, Hibernian Way, Mallow, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Kalman wrote: »
    Jai Ho, Hibernian Way, Mallow, Cork

Is over 20 miles North of Cork City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

kub wrote: »
    Is over 20 miles North of Cork City.

Oh, I see, you are referring to the City Centre.

Kalman wrote: »
    Oh, I see, you are referring to the City Centre.

Mallow is definitely County Cork, nowhere near the city... centre or suburbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭omerin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Eaten in Sakura a lot, it's very good. They have a Bento Box at lunch for 8.99.

I second this recommendation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I like Sakura as well. It is right by my house so it is good for a takeaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Went to Siesta recently. Atmosphere average, food ok, wouldn't be in any rush to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Ate in Nakon Thai in Douglas this weekend. Lovely food and good prices - the decor could do with updating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Had another delicious meal in Gallo & Galetti tonight. It's great to see a restaurant actually succeed in Wilton. My favourite dish of the moment is the Chicken & Pancetta Salad mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1577

That restaurant in mallow has been shut down by food safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had a great time at the midsummer table on Sunday night... Each table had a different menu. Ours was from Jacques, market lane and Idaho cafe. All fantastic. Really impressed with how that event was organised, and the great food.
    Downloads_002.jpg

Could someone recommend somewhere for 4 people tomorrow night? One person pretty only eats chicken, another vegetarian and the other 2 don't really care.
    Nothing too fancy, maybe 2 courses.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

rob316 wrote: »
    Could someone recommend somewhere for 4 people tomorrow night? One person pretty only eats chicken, another vegetarian and the other 2 don't really care.

thanks

Just going by the "nothing too fancy" request which covers a lot... Scoozi's is a fairly casual place. I've not eaten there in years but it was decent, cheerful grub and they probably have a few decent veggie options.
    Cafe Mexicana would be a great option too (if you like Mexican food). It's also casual and fun and the food is great.
    Gourmet Burger Bistro do good burgers and have salad and veggie burger options. Again, it's a nice casual dining experience.
    The Woodford bar does good food too and it'd be quieter mid-week so you're not sitting in the middle of a packed bar :) but I don't think there'd be much choice for the vegetarian.

That's all I can think of in the casual category off the top of my head right now.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just going by the "nothing too fancy" request which covers a lot... Scoozi's is a fairly casual place. I've not eaten there in years but it was decent, cheerful grub and they probably have a few decent veggie options.
    Cafe Mexicana would be a great option too (if you like Mexican food). It's also casual and fun and the food is great.
    Gourmet Burger Bistro do good burgers and have salad and veggie burger options. Again, it's a nice casual dining experience.
    The Woodford bar does good food too and it'd be quieter mid-week so you're not sitting in the middle of a packed bar :) but I don't think there'd be much choice for the vegetarian.

That's all I can think of in the casual category off the top of my head right now.

Ya I wouldn't be a fan of the other places but Gourmet Burger Bistro is interesting, I havnt tried that.

rob316 wrote: »

thanks

Gallaghers on bridge street is a lovely pub that does great food. Nothing fancy, but really nice.

If you like american food, then there's always liberty grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

pwurple wrote: »
    Gallaghers on bridge street is a lovely pub that does great food. Nothing fancy, but really nice.

yeah i was in gallaghers recently and the food is top notch for a bar - and the atm and service was great - as was the value for money. ok its still a pub but before 9pm it feels more like a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Definitely must try Gallaghers soon, either for breakfast or lunch, the food looks great from the pics on Facebook and now have some recommendations here :)

I accept it's quite popular but I've never got the buzz about the Liberty Grill. Pretentious is a word I'd use to describe it.

Mumha wrote: »
    I accept it's quite popular but I've never got the buzz about the Liberty Grill. Pretentious is a word I'd use to describe it.

It's the wrong word. I don't like american food myself, so I'm not a big fan, but it's REALLY not pretentious. There are no tablecloths or stuffy waiters and winelists, and it's packed full of students. The prices are fairly low, they serve burgers and pancakes. It's a diner with no airs about it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gallagher's is grand for a sandwich. Not really understanding the excitement about it, though I haven't really had anything other than a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Personally I was disappointed with Gallaghers.

We went to gourmet burger bistro. 4 clean plates, delicious. Really enjoyed it.

It's the wrong word. I don't like american food myself, so I'm not a big fan, but it's REALLY not pretentious. There are no tablecloths or stuffy waiters and winelists, and it's packed full of students. The prices are fairly low, they serve burgers and pancakes. It's a diner with no airs about it whatsoever.

Well that's the vibe we got from it. I wouldn't have thought €24 for a 9oz steak is fairly low.

Mumha wrote: »
    Well that's the vibe we got from it. I wouldn't have thought €24 for a 9oz steak is fairly low.

Oh man, it's steak. Where do you eat steak?

You've picked the most expensive thing on the menu. €23.50 for the 9oz, which to my mind is very reasonable for that quality food. Where else are you getting craft butcher produced, angus herd, reared locally (well, on a farm near carrigaline rather than in the city), grass fed, aged a minimum of 28 days, yadda yadda... cooked for you in a restaurant, including chips, salad, onions, mushrooms and a pepper sauce, for less than that?

And , there's an 18 euro steak as well there if it's too pricey.

Even that kip n-square (closed down thank feck) did an 8oz for 28 euro, and it came with nothing.

Market lane - 8oz, no chips, 25 euro.
    Electric - 8oz , with chips, 27.
    Soho - 25.

Next you'll be complaining your caviar and champagne is too expensive. I mean, sheesh.

Sorry to harp on, I don't even eat there, but it has it's style and people like it. Just.... some people and prices of food. We've no idea how good we have it. Go eat that same meal in London and come back and tell me how much it costs.

• Advertisement

If I want to eat fillet steak I'll eat it in Liberty Grill actually! :) It's been cooked there a few times now exactly how I order it, and the sides are really tasty. Can't say the same for anywhere else, in my experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement