Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I don't think the Irish consumer understands that pizzas should be lightly topped.
    I don't think the Irish pizza retailer understands that pizza should be inexpensive.

Pizzas in Ireland are, imo, almost always overloaded with tomato and toppings - particularly cheese.
    I've ordered lots of la tana in the past. They lay the toppings on heavy. Surprised to hear they've changed. I stopped going to them when they increased their prices by about 15% earlier in the year/late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

unplayable wrote: »
    Anywhere that has a list of places open for takeaway Lunch in town? I am in the office for a few hours most days now it’s grim enough without having a decent lunch.

Had a sandwich & coffee in 3 Little Piggies on Union Quay today, plenty of space to sit down outside. Also I think Twenty is open on Anglesea St.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Most of the restaurants are still charging the same prices as eating in tbh, even though your not getting the service of having the food given to you, layed out, taken away and cleaned, wait staff etc. Usually take aways are cheaper but eh, if it keeps the business open then so be it I suppose

Yeah I haven't seen any place reduce their prices. A lot are actually more expensive sometimes because they don't have the usual lunch menus.

It's annoying sometimes when standards are a lot lower, got really soggy chips from Captain Americas yesterday that tasted like they'd been sitting around and reheated. I was early to collect and opened them in the car on the way home (wasn't driving) so they should have been fresh. Don't think they would have served them to a sit down customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

opus wrote: »
    Had a sandwich & coffee in 3 Little Piggies on Union Quay today, plenty of space to sit down outside. Also I think Twenty is open on Anglesea St.

Are 20 still doing set sandwiches only.

I used to always get ham cheese and bacon jam. Loved it. Untill they decided only off menu no changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

They had seats across the road on Saturday too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are their sandwiches nice? How's the coffees?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Are 20 still doing set sandwiches only.

I used to always get ham cheese and bacon jam. Loved it. Untill they decided only off menu no changes.

Afraid I don't know as wasn't in there. 3 Little Piggies were making the sandwiches to order so imagine going 'off-menu' should be possible.
    Are their sandwiches nice? How's the coffees?

Tbh after all this time locked down any sandwich outside would have been nice :) It was fine although my favourite reuben in Cork is from Sonny's Deli but will have to wait a while for that. Coffee was fine for me but it would need to be really terrible before I'd notice. Only restaurant in Cork where I've found the coffee cr*p is strangely the cafe in the Crawford, food is fine there so no idea why.

Just remembered I took a pic!

514535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Afraid I don't know as wasn't in there. 3 Little Piggies were making the sandwiches to order so imagine going 'off-menu' should be possible.

Tbh after all this time locked down any sandwich outside would have been nice :) It was fine although my favourite reuben in Cork is from Sonny's Deli but will have to wait a while for that. Coffee was fine for me but it would need to be really terrible before I'd notice. Only restaurant in Cork where I've found the coffee cr*p is strangely the cafe in the Crawford, food is fine there so no idea why.

Sonny's deli has reopened

Sonny's deli has reopened

Yes but limited menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Swandwich Stall in English market have boosted up their pieces by a good bit. Don't know if I'll go back. I can get the same stuff in Sonnys , and without the hassle of going into the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

BruteStock wrote: »
    The Swandwich Stall in English market have boosted up their pieces by a good bit. Don't know if I'll go back. I can get the same stuff in Sonnys , and without the hassle of going into the market.

The French place on Washington St is savage and really reasonable. Baguettes for 5.50 and they have different types of bread. And the cakes then are unreal and reasonable too.

The French place on Washington St is savage and really reasonable. Baguettes for 5.50 and they have different types of bread. And the cakes then are unreal and reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spring Chick

Has anyone tried the collection service from Son of a Bun in the past few weeks? I'm thinking of trying it at the weekend, would you recommend? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, Cameron, they do the best baguette in the city. Haven't tried their sandwiches. Are they open now?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yes, Cameron, they do the best baguette in the city. Haven't tried their sandwiches. Are they open now?

Yep they've been open the past few weeks. Can be a bit of a queue sometimes but you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Yep they've been open the past few weeks. Can be a bit of a queue sometimes but you might be lucky.

Whats the name of this place?

mccard wrote: »
    Whats the name of this place?

http://www.cameronbakery.com

I've a girl from Paris renting a room in my house and she said it's the best she's had in the whole country. Exactly like home.

Has anyone tried the collection service from Son of a Bun in the past few weeks? I'm thinking of trying it at the weekend, would you recommend? Thanks.

Tried it, flawless collection service. Very good burger. Would do it again, though I'm probably going to try Bunsen again first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Tried it, flawless collection service. Very good burger. Would do it again, though I'm probably going to try Bunsen again first.

Whats the order process for SOAB , phone-call and pay over the phone?

Whats the order process for SOAB , phone-call and pay over the phone?

Think I ordered online, collect at the door. Think you can phone it in also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Got the take away, finish it yourself, offering from Greens last week
    While the food tasted really good the portion sizes (especially the beef featherblade ) were tiny.
    Nice food, but poor value for money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Got the set dinner from Ali's kitchen last week. Superb and excellent value, probably the nicest lasagne I've eaten. Easily the best meal I've had since this whole mess began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I've never tried their baguettes. Would they be busy of a Saturday? What do you think is the best time to go? After lunch? Or would all the food be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I've never tried their baguettes. Would they be busy of a Saturday? What do you think is the best time to go? After lunch? Or would all the food be gone.

Crazy busy on a Saturday, I was going to get stuff there last week and seen a line of about 12 people at 10am I was like nope it’s nice but I won’t line for 20 mins.

The English market is worse say there is about 200 plus in that line on a Saturday !!!

Open Saturdays, not sure what time, but we've passed the last 2 weeks on a stroll around mid day and maybe a few queuing out the door.

Crazy busy on a Saturday, I was going to get stuff there last week and seen a line of about 12 people at 10am I was like nope it’s nice but I won’t line for 20 mins.

The English market is worse say there is about 200 plus in that line on a Saturday !!!

I've never queued more than 20 minutes got the market on a Saturday. The queues look worse than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

I've never queued more than 20 minutes got the market on a Saturday. The queues look worse than they are.

They are worse i set and watched it while haveing a coffee last week and it moved 6 people in 15 mins by the main entrance!!!!

You must be paying for the fast pass entrance!!!

They are worse i set and watched it while haveing a coffee last week and it moved 6 people in 15 mins by the main entrance!!!!

You must be paying for the fast pass entrance!!!

Well, I've queued for the Prince's Street entrance from around the corner by The Wine Buff and it didn't feel more than 20 minutes - didn't time it, though.
    Sometimes they enforce the rule regarding single shoppers only, this can dramatically decrease queuing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can see prices going up on the 29th when restaurants reopen. It just won't be financially feasible with this 2m rule, working at half capacity. Some will sadly never reopen.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I can see prices going up on the 29th when restaurants reopen. It just won't be financially feasible with this 2m rule, working at half capacity. Some will sadly never reopen.

That's a tricky one.

I imagine there will be less demand for restaurants, so increasing prices would not be a typical tactic.
    However, we just don't know what's going to happen. But, yes, I suspect there will be some closures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement