Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wowburger, Elephant and Castle and Captain A’s are all part of the same group and are using Captain A’s as a takeaway location. Dollard & Co is another but I’m not sure if they’ve expanded it to Cork.

Ah, makes sense

Wonder is there much of a difference between them. Elephant And Castle are very expensive. 5.75 for chips

Had K.Cs Saturday. Had a pulled pork chicken. There was so much mayo and lettuce in the pitta I ended up feeling sick from it. Was Horrendous ****e. Would gladly never eat from them again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭rob316

siblers wrote: »
    Had K.Cs Saturday. Had a pulled pork chicken. There was so much mayo and lettuce in the pitta I ended up feeling sick from it. Was Horrendous ****e. Would gladly never eat from them again

Its greasy slop but people of cork seem to love to eat **** food like this, Luigi's, Scoozis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I wonder how many drivers they have on the road. I saw two at the window during the week. I imagine its costly paying 2 or more drivers every night , hence the fee and minimum order charge of €20. I reckon they will abandon the delivery service when they reopen which would be a shame as it would balance out the queuing system

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Ordered Son of a Bun last night, got my usual and it was just as good as ever. Delighted to have them open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Is there much of a difference between Captain Americas and Wow Burger? Might try one of them tomorrow

Same chips anyway but different menus. I'm a big fan of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    Its greasy slop but people of cork seem to love to eat **** food like this, Luigi's, Scoozis.

I think the likes of Scoozi and Luigi's have their place - relatively cheap, casual, cocktails. They're handy for teenagers eating out, family groups and cheap staff dos.
    Difference is you don't see queues outside them and no one claims that they are the best in the world at what they do.

I don't know how they did it but fair play to KCs for becoming a legendary success with average food offerings.

I guess, 30 years ago, the pita menu was different to almost any chipper in Ireland and people liked it and kept going. I don't get the fuss, myself, but I wish them well. I used to enjoy their fish and chips some years ago.

Ecos is incredibly popular too and that is, imo, a shockingly bad restaurant - I'd go to Scoozi or Luigi's any day over it (if I had to:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I think the likes of Scoozi and Luigi's have their place - relatively cheap, casual, cocktails. They're handy for teenagers eating out, family groups and cheap staff dos.
    Difference is you don't see queues outside them and no one claims that they are the best in the world at what they do.

I don't know how they did it but fair play to KCs for becoming a legendary success with average food offerings.

I guess, 30 years ago, the pita menu was different to almost any chipper in Ireland and people liked it and kept going. I don't get the fuss, myself, but I wish them well. I used to enjoy their fish and chips some years ago.

Ecos is incredibly popular too and that is, imo, a shockingly bad restaurant - I'd go to Scoozi or Luigi's any day over it (if I had to:rolleyes:).

I see on FB Eco's are making a killing on selling 10 packets of their sauces for 50 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, that's the menu... what differentiates them too is the suppliers. They use real meat from local butchers in the burgers, chip their own spuds, put a bit of effort into the ingredients. Listing suppliers and having good relationships with them was normal there a long time before it was even done in posh restaurants. And it's still relatively unusual in your ordinary chipper. (Shout out to the golden fry though, who do a great job with this!)

I think they are struggling with quality during this lockdown though. I wouldn't go near there til it's over.

Eco's isn't my bag either. Big portions, bland-ish food. Give the people what they want though, eh. When I saw their take-away options at the moment, it's the same pricepoint as Greenes and Glass Curtain... 20 euro a head for 2 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just read that Feed your Senses won’t be reopening - very sad, always a lovely place with tasty tapas.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Just read that Feed your Senses won’t be reopening - very sad, always a lovely place with tasty tapas.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Never got around to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Dino's is back if anyone is interested. Order online for collection. http://www.dinostakeaway.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

leahyl wrote: »

That's a real loss, never had a bad meal/experience there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SomeFool wrote: »
    That's a real loss, never had a bad meal/experience there.

Yeah, pity. Seemed like a nice family run place. Great chips!

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Had Spitjacks the other day. Delicious food. Really couldn't fault it, and really hope they continue a take out service like this after normality sinks back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry if it's a bit off track but a good home cook show on RTE tonight with Mark Moriarty, of The Green House Restaurant.
    A professional, not a show guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Silver Key have added draft pints to their takeaway menu

Heineken, Coors, Murphy's €4.50 per pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Silver Key have added draft pints to their takeaway menu

Heineken, Coors, Murphy's €4.50 per pint

How the actual fck are they licensed for that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

pwurple wrote: »

Their food looks v overpriced too. Its 13 or 14 euro for fish and chips. No reason to get chipper for that price when you have the likes of dennys and the golden fry around the corner with equal qulity.

Anyone ever eaten from Wabi-Sabi or Okura?

• Advertisement

Dino's is back if anyone is interested. Order online for collection. http://www.dinostakeaway.ie

Saw the one in Grange open last night. They do very nice chips, glad to see them open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Saw the one in Grange open last night. They do very nice chips, glad to see them open

The Grange one is very nice, Turners Cross is after going to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

CHealy wrote: »
    The Grange one is very nice, Turners Cross is after going to the dogs.

Best Dinos is probably Douglas with decent portions and efficient staff, the one in Bishopstown has always been very skimpy with their portion sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Best Dinos is probably Douglas with decent portions and efficient staff, the one in Bishopstown has always been very skimpy with their portion sizes.

I have to disagree on the Douglas one, in the last few years I felt it has gone to the dogs and it's partly due to the staff. Two very cranky women who are hopeless at managing orders and dealing with a queue. The amount of confusion between them about orders etc is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have to disagree on the Douglas one, in the last few years I felt it has gone to the dogs and it's partly due to the staff. Two very cranky women who are hopeless at managing orders and dealing with a queue. The amount of confusion between them about orders etc is laughable.

I always head to Turners Cross myself rather than Douglas. Much nicer chips. Never actually realised there was one in Grange though...might give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just got koto. Simple to do. Rang in the order, told 15 minutes, drive in, guy waiting at the table and food handed over. Nearly identical to the restaurant portions which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

pwurple wrote: »

Have to buy food to buy a pint. Plactic cups..cannot see it lasting. I live near it the burger is like Burger King anywhere else would be nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    I always head to Turners Cross myself rather than Douglas. Much nicer chips. Never actually realised there was one in Grange though...might give it a try.

yeah, it used to be another take-away, can't remember the name now. Located behind the Pinecroft Inn.

The new Japanese restaurant "Okura" opened up today for the first time in Douglas Village. Only takeaways at the moment obviously.

Hope they do well, tough time to start a business.

Will be trying them after the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/101697571365217/posts/151658653035775/

• Advertisement

The new Japanese restaurant "Okura" opened up today for the first time in Douglas Village. Only takeaways at the moment obviously.

Hope they do well, tough time to start a business.

Will be trying them after the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/101697571365217/posts/151658653035775/

Might give them a try as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement