Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Can never have too much of a good thing.

There's a fierce amount of rubbish pizza's

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

pwurple wrote: »
    Are we short pizzerias in Cork? :D

Definitely a shortage of good pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

What is the best pizza in cork out of interest?

Today I went to the bookshelf and got a tea and a sausage roll Takeaway and it cost €7.20. I don’t mind buying things and giving business but I do feel €6 would have been plenty for this. Watch out for higher prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

unplayable wrote: »

There's more than one type of pizza. American pizza, italian pizza, and kinda hybrids.

I like palmento, but I know people think it's too bendy / wet for them.

Here's the list of pizza places I could find, and even if I don't count the multiple 4 stars, apaches and dominos as multiples... there are around 20

sliced
    oak fire pizza
    palmento
    dominos
    4 star
    Novecento
    uncle petpes
    Burnt
    Apache
    Milano
    pompeii
    la tana
    pizza n sizzle
    oregano leaf
    Fast als
    mizzonis
    Zicos
    Doatellos
    Leaping Salmon
    Fran well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Palmento in Douglas would be my pick but like pwurple said some people wouldnt be a fan as its the neapolitan style so can be a bit on the wet side. After that I'd probably go for oak fire pizza.

• Advertisement

Today I went to the bookshelf and got a tea and a sausage roll Takeaway and it cost €7.20. I don’t mind buying things and giving business but I do feel €6 would have been plenty for this. Watch out for higher prices.

Difficult question to answer.

Depends what you're into.

Fran well would be up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭RINO87

yeah Pizza is massively subjective!!!

For us we like the "wet, floppy" Neapolitan style - Novocento, Fran Well and the guys who made the Pizzas in Tom Barrys were top of the list

....do the folks who make the pizza in Tom Barrys have a name/make it anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Samhain wrote: »
    Tried the new Sri Lankan Curry pot place on Popes quay for delivery last night. https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-curry-pot-city-centre Very good quality and decent portion sizes. The starters of tuna pattys and fried chicken pieces were particularly good. I ordered the kottu but it wasnt available so got the deviled beef instead which was basically like a stir fry but tasty all the same. They threw in two really good homemade chocolate brownies for the trouble which was a nice touch. Will definitely order again, hopefully they will have to kottu back on the menu next time.

Selection of cakes from same place. Hope they're good as visiting my elderly aunt for the first time in four months tomorrow so figured some sweet treats would be appropriate.

518020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

RINO87 wrote: »
    yeah Pizza is massively subjective!!!

For us we like the "wet, floppy" Neapolitan style - Novocento, Fran Well and the guys who made the Pizzas in Tom Barrys were top of the list

....do the folks who make the pizza in Tom Barrys have a name/make it anywhere else?

Novocento is no 1 for me - then Fran Well.. had pizza in Tom Barry's once - twas truly awful.. tinned mushrooms (I kid you not).. was so disappointed... had wanted to try it for ages and brought a mate there for a sun night bday pizza and pint.. I would like to think that I got it on a bad night.. but slow to try it again.. Novecento is 100% imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Novecento for me is the perfect pizza. Thin crust and excellent balance of toppings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Volcano and Pompeii pizza have both landed in glanmire in recent weeks. Really enjoy both but volcano just edges it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Volcano and Pompeii pizza have both landed in glanmire in recent weeks. Really enjoy both but volcano just edges it for me

do Volcano have a regular spot? think I've seen them at markets and the like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Cotts72

sporina wrote: »
    do Volcano have a regular spot? think I've seen them at markets and the like..

Yeah they are working out of the castle pub in glanmire. Initially it was only weekends but now available 7 days a week (basically it allows the pub to open as A restaurant /bar now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just had takeaway from Marcellos in Douglas. Couple of pizzas, chicken cacciatore, and a penne arrabiata. Absolutely fantastic all of them. Really like the pizzas there. One of my faves in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

JohnK wrote: »
    Palmento in Douglas would be my pick but like pwurple said some people wouldnt be a fan as its the neapolitan style so can be a bit on the wet side. After that I'd probably go for oak fire pizza.

I'd agree with this although I haven't sampled many of the other pizza places in Cork. Palmento is one of a kind and it's lovely but only if you like that style of pizza and Oak Fire is great too love the pizza that has black pudding on it it's savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Yeah they are working out of the castle pub in glanmire. Initially it was only weekends but now available 7 days a week (basically it allows the pub to open as A restaurant /bar now 😂

I think the Castle in Glanmire, a stand in Fota wildlife park (food/coffee area by the tiger enclosure, Fota is paid in) and the main stand rotating to markets. Unless they gave up the market oven for the Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mupwebdesign

Turkey and Ham in Cork for decent price? Preferably with a pint. If under €20, would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

Turkey and Ham in Cork for decent price? Preferably with a pint. If under €20, would be great.

The imperial do a carvery. Menu changes daily though.

The imperial do a carvery. Menu changes daily though.

Thanks for the reply. Never thought of them. Yes, a carvery is what I'm looking for. Wouldn't mind a beef, turkey or even chicken dinner. What are the prices like? Not looking for 3 course just the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

Thanks for the reply. Never thought of them. Yes, a carvery is what I'm looking for. Wouldn't mind a beef, turkey or even chicken dinner. What are the prices like? Not looking for 3 course just the main.

In around €13 for a main.

• Advertisement

In around €13 for a main.

Wow. Thought by the caliber of the place it would be more. That's very reasonable. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭RINO87

sporina wrote: »
    Novocento is no 1 for me - then Fran Well.. had pizza in Tom Barry's once - twas truly awful.. tinned mushrooms (I kid you not).. was so disappointed... had wanted to try it for ages and brought a mate there for a sun night bday pizza and pint.. I would like to think that I got it on a bad night.. but slow to try it again.. Novecento is 100% imo..

At the risk of opening a can of worms but here goes....!

A think you're supposed to use tinned/preserved mushrooms on a pizza cooked in a proper pizza oven - they need the higher moisture content, fresh mushroom when its on a pizza thats cooked quickly at high temp tastes kind of raw.

When I was living in Galway I got a slice almost daily from pizza pasta napoli (I worked in a bar around the corner) - I had to ask one day why his mushroom pizza tasted so good, he said because he didnt use fresh mushrooms. That guy makes some of the best pizza in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

God i miss their pizza.
    Its the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

RINO87 wrote: »
    When I was living in Galway I got a slice almost daily from pizza pasta napoli (I worked in a bar around the corner) - I had to ask one day why his mushroom pizza tasted so good, he said because he didnt use fresh mushrooms. That guy makes some of the best pizza in the country!
    Holy Mother of God! I went to this place in Galway and didn't know the name of it till now. Went out of our way to go their like 3 times when we were in the Galway Gaeltacht. I've had pizza in New York, Italy and all over but that is the best pizza I've ever had. Finally, I know the name of the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ThePott wrote: »
    Holy Mother of God! I went to this place in Galway and didn't know the name of it till now. Went out of our way to go their like 3 times when we were in the Galway Gaeltacht. I've had pizza in New York, Italy and all over but that is the best pizza I've ever had. Finally, I know the name of the place.

I didn't spot that place when I was living in Galway back in 2018. Just pass X'ian, going by Google maps...? The pizza looks like Fast Al's style, but better maybe? Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Same kinda set up but Soo much better than Fast Als.

Anyway...back to cork :D
    Its Novecento for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Same kinda set up but Soo much better than Fast Als.

Anyway...back to cork :D
    Its Novecento for me

The annoying thing about Fast Al's was that when he first opened, the pizza was really, really good. There was nowhere in town at the time doing pizza as good.

Now it is truly awful.:eek:
    (or, at least it was about 6 years ago when I last had one and vowed, never again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The annoying thing about Fast Al's was that when he first opened, the pizza was really, really good. There was nowhere in town at the time doing pizza as good.

Now it is truly awful.:eek:
    (or, at least it was about 6 years ago when I last had one and vowed, never again!)

It's not great at all. The only time I'd get it is walking home after a night out! :p

Last time I had it was a greasy messy slop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

limnam wrote: »
    Last time I had it was a greasy messy slop.

Last time I got fast als I upchucked because of the greasiness. My friend once got food poisoning from eating one of their pizzas (Suppose what do you expect buying reheated chicken pizza from a microwave at 2 in the morning)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement