Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where was this?
    Did I see them on the side of the road near Glanmire?
    Glad to see them getting on with it after the closure of their restaurant.

I'm glad the foods good , I liked the food from their restaurant (but it was an awful place ) ,the few times I've had food from their stall (Christmas market and festivals ) it was rubbish

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

I find Bunsen quite overpriced for what you get.

I disagree, you get a fantastic double burger for a tenner. The likes of Cobull I think overcharge, you dont have change from 20 quid for a burger and chips there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I disagree, you get a fantastic double burger for a tenner. The likes of Cobull I think overcharge, you dont have change from 20 quid for a burger and chips there.

Must try it again! Maybe I got them on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Must try it again! Maybe I got them on a bad day.

Well if you have sweet potato fries, milkshake and beer, yes, it starts to add up. It's not really a restaurant. It's a fast food burger joint that sells beer and wine. I think some people go and expect a restaurant experience and when they don't get it, are disappointed and feel shortchanged.

I can't see that it is more expensive than Son of a Bun or Cock Bull or West Cork Burger but I think the burgers are superior to any of those.

If, like me, you find burgers, in Ireland, are always overcooked and dry, then a Bunsen burger, cooked medium is for you - juicy and still slightly pink in the middle.

If you are into whacky toppings and sides, Bunsen is not for you.

Well if you have sweet potato fries, milkshake and beer, yes, it starts to add up. It's not really a restaurant. It's a fast food burger joint that sells beer and wine. I think some people go and expect a restaurant experience and when they don't get it, are disappointed and feel shortchanged.

I can't see that it is more expensive than Son of a Bun or Cock Bull or West Cork Burger but I think the burgers are superior to any of those.

If, like me, you find burgers, in Ireland, are always overcooked and dry, then a Bunsen burger, cooked medium is for you - juicy and still slightly pink in the middle.

If you are into whacky toppings and sides, Bunsen is not for you.

The last time I went I did get chips & a milkshake - perhaps that's why I felt it was a little pricey. The burgers were good, don't get me wrong.

Will defo try it again, maybe this time with just a Coke! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is it just me or are pizzas very over priced. 14 to 16 euro for a 12" from Le Tana. Seems expensive for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

siblers wrote: »
    Had Bad Boy BBQ yesterday, burger was very nice, very nice chips too. Will need to try their chicken and pork next time
    Stopped and bought in Grange yesterday. I wouldn’t rate it personally ( cheeseburger ) but I was happy to support the pop up

Is it just me or are pizzas very over priced. 14 to 16 euro for a 12" from Le Tana. Seems expensive for what you get

There's a huge markup on pizza, but at least with the likes of La Tana, Palmento, Novecento etc you get quality food and ingredients.

Dominos is particularly expensive for the quality of what you get compared to the independent pizza chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

Dominos is literally only worth it when you use the vouchers and they're constantly giving out codes, it's strange that they don't just make their prices more reasonable instead of just relying on all the vouchers.

Pizzas in Ireland have always been expensive compared to most other countries I've noticed pizzas in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Pizzas in Ireland have always been expensive compared to most other countries I've noticed pizzas in.

Agreed 2 pizzas and sides almost costs as much as eating out nowadays!

Volcano pizza are finally after setting up in glanmire this weekend, looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Good Fish have started their take away service in Carrigaline again, Thursday, Friday saturday, had the fish and chips while herself had prawn and chips, very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭ofcork

Donatellos pizzas have gone up since this all started definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Most of the restaurants are still charging the same prices as eating in tbh, even though your not getting the service of having the food given to you, layed out, taken away and cleaned, wait staff etc. Usually take aways are cheaper but eh, if it keeps the business open then so be it I suppose

Most of the restaurants are still charging the same prices as eating in tbh, even though your not getting the service of having the food given to you, layed out, taken away and cleaned, wait staff etc. Usually take aways are cheaper but eh, if it keeps the business open then so be it I suppose

I don't think that is the case, though.
    Don't most have completely new menus?

I don't think that is the case, though.
    Don't most have completely new menus?

From the places I have ordered so far anyway, koto, SoHo, Luigi Malones and one or two others the prices have been the same as if I was to go in there and eat it. But there may be some that did, not going to tar them all with one brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

roundymac wrote: »
    Good Fish have started their take away service in Carrigaline again, Thursday, Friday saturday, had the fish and chips while herself had prawn and chips, very tasty.

I think their fish is delish. What were the chips like ? The last time we were there the chips were the frozen variety.which IMO was not acceptable

Had Le Tana, had the sausage, mushroom and onion pizza. The amount of sausage was a joke, around 6 very thinly sliced pieces, same with the mushroom and onion. I knew it wouldn't be value for money but 14 euro for what was basically a cheese pizza and it was fairly average. Could have gotten a Chicago Town one for around 5 euro which would have been nicer

Had Le Tana, had the sausage, mushroom and onion pizza. The amount of sausage was a joke, around 6 very thinly sliced pieces, same with the mushroom and onion. I knew it wouldn't be value for money but 14 euro for what was basically a cheese pizza and it was fairly average. Could have gotten a Chicago Town one for around 5 euro which would have been nicer

Yeah, my dad got it last week and when by the time we had got home (5 minutes) it was stone cold and needed to be reheated. Very low toppings too and very high price.

Got pizzaAMore tonight and it was very nice I must say. First time trying it

I don't think the Irish consumer understands that pizzas should be lightly topped.
    I don't think the Irish pizza retailer understands that pizza should be inexpensive.

Pizzas in Ireland are, imo, almost always overloaded with tomato and toppings - particularly cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't think the Irish consumer understands that pizzas should be lightly topped.
    I don't think the Irish pizza retailer understands that pizza should be inexpensive.

Pizzas in Ireland are, imo, almost always overloaded with tomato and toppings - particularly cheese.

This times 100.

Some of the nicest pizzas I've ever had have looked "scabby", almost like they ran out of toppings to put on.
    Small bit of tomato sauce, cheese and a bit of something green like basil and anything else is killing the flavour. I know everybody has different tastes but when you get a "plane" pizza, done right, it's hard to go back to other toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Agreed alot of the best pizza chefs would be saying outside of the base & sauce, 3-4 ingredients max. The toppings should be of sufficient quality and flavor to speak for themselves not get lost in a jumble of toppings laced on the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

One of the best pizzas I ever had was in Hong Kong of all places, the place in the MICHELIN Guide and is considered the best pizza in Hong Kong,

It’s Italian style base with a over load of toppings and it was amazing the test everything was just perfect, it wasn't cheap I think 24 euros for a pizza however it was worth every penny and I still dream of the taste,

Also bubble waffles I went to the best place for that in Hong Kong and my god it was amazing something so cheap and basic, no where in Ireland has matched this at all ..

That's fair enough but an extra 4 euro for half a sausage and a tiny bit of mushroom is a rip offa nd the pizza wasn't anything special either. If it was properly tasty I wouldn't mind so much

That's fair enough but an extra 4 euro for half a sausage and a tiny bit of mushroom is a rip offa nd the pizza wasn't anything special either. If it was properly tasty I wouldn't mind so much

If people are feeling short changed, things rarely taste great.
    I agree, pricing of pizza and toppings is a bit bonkers here.
    I just don't expect what I consider good pizza in Ireland, the consumer won't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Anywhere that has a list of places open for takeaway Lunch in town? I am in the office for a few hours most days now it’s grim enough without having a decent lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

unplayable wrote: »
    Anywhere that has a list of places open for takeaway Lunch in town? I am in the office for a few hours most days now it’s grim enough without having a decent lunch.

Just download the deliveroo app to see what's open. No need to actually purchase anything but you'll get your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I got a takeaway from Tradehouse in Ballincollig the other night. Food was gorgeous and ready bang on the time I requested. (No delivery - you collect it yourself).

Thinking of trying Spitjack next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

The sandwich place in the English Market is also open and do excellent food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Have you tried to use deliveroo and get food delivered to your office there is planty of places on there for lunch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement