Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

there are a lot of openings for restaurants in cork city - too many fast foodish type places..

we now need a good thai, greek, turkish... no lebanese...

come on cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

sporina wrote: »
    there are a lot of openings for restaurants in cork city - too many fast foodish type places..

we now need a good thai, greek, turkish... no lebanese...

come on cork..

I believe the Sultan in Penrose quay is good
    https://www.facebook.com/Sultan.Cork

whatever76 wrote: »
    I believe the Sultan in Penrose quay is good
    https://www.facebook.com/Sultan.Cork

the no booze rule is a big put off though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Club Brasserie, food ok, service beyond bad. It would be funny if it wasn't an expensive restaurant.

Brick Lane, burger, I'd have a Big Mac over it any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Bacchus wrote: »

You could go for the pub + pizza route. Franciscan Well, Rising Son, Sober Lane and The Sextant are a few places that spring to mind.

The Linen Weaver will give you a burger and a pint for a tenner. It's the new wetherspoons which is where the old Newport used to be, opposite the entrance to Paul Street Shopping centre.

Not great food, but when compared to the pubs mentioned above, the food is as good, but the prices are waaaay lower. The pizzas in The Franciscan Well are the best in town, but they really need to do something about the queuing system. I would think that the amount of time people spend queuing up for food must be having an impact on their sales at the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Is there a new eatery on Cornmarket Street near the Bodega?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes.
    Had lunch there yesterday.
    It's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Yes.
    Had lunch there yesterday.
    It's pretty good.

Thanks, do you know what it's called?

northgirl wrote: »
    Thanks, do you know what it's called?

I can't remember. (not a good sign)

New Michelin star restaurants for Dublin
    - http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/irish-restaurants-loam-and-greenhouse-awarded-prestigious-michelin-stars-for-the-first-time-31532488.html

congrats to Bastion in Kinsale ! Must make a visit at some point.

• Advertisement

had dinner in Italee the other day - now thats how food should be - the best of ingredients cooked as they should be.. and it was for nothing..
    i had lemon sole - two fillets with rocket pesto - twas like the fish itself was in the water only hours before..

OH had canneloni (can't spell) with aubergine and a smoked mozzarella..

both came with side salads and bread..
    we had a starter also - bruschetta - enough in one portion for 3 people..

a small tart for desert..

savage wine.. can't remember the names..

and all for €50...

service was fab - only draw back is that they no longer open at night... last orders 5.50pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Ramen have opened in Douglas tonight; only took a walk past but looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

JohnK wrote: »
    Ramen have opened in Douglas tonight; only took a walk past but looks nice.

Whereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Karmella wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

Across from McDonalds, by the East Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Karmella wrote: »
    Whereabouts?

It's where La Lavanda and the Tearooms used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not sure this is a restaurant really, more of a quick lunch spot (!), but a place called Loving Salads has opened on Academy Street - same idea as Rocketman I'd say; the salads look seriously good. I think the guy that owns it has been doing the food markets for a while.

leahyl wrote: »
    Not sure this is a restaurant really, more of a quick lunch spot (!), but a place called Loving Salads has opened on Academy Street - same idea as Rocketman I'd say; the salads look seriously good. I think the guy that owns it has been doing the food markets for a while.

I think they have a sit down area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, should have mentioned that - I did see a small seating area but for some reason I still feel like I wouldn't consider it a restaurant..! But it's great that you can sit down and it's not just takeaway. Looking forward to trying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bad Boys Barbecue looks like its open now on McCurtain St.

Not sure about it from the outside, looks a bit more 'rough and ready' than I was anticipating. Will probably pop in at some point.

Sun of a Bun to open next to them without too much of a delay I would think.

great can't wait to try this place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Bad Boys Barbecue looks like its open now on McCurtain St.

Walked past this again today. Doesn't look inviting/ staff seem a bit gruff. Menu looks confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

I went to chilli padi in ballincollig last night and the food was mixed.
    Wings and spring rolls for starters. Wings were savage, big portion too for €5. The spring rolls were bad tho, horrible after taste from them.
    Mains were the beef rendang and sweet chilli coconut chicken.
    The rendang was really nice with big chinks of beef but the beef was very dry in it. Strangely some was fine, other bits not so fine. I ended up leaving some of the meat behind. Id get it again but ask for chicken instead as the curry itself was lovely.
    The sweet chilli coconut chicken was really good. I ended up picking at the left overs from my wifes plate.
    Ill probably try it again before i write it off but first impressions werent brilliant.

.red. wrote: »
    I went to chilli padi in ballincollig last night and the food was mixed.
    Wings and spring rolls for starters. Wings were savage, big portion too for €5. The spring rolls were bad tho, horrible after taste from them.
    Mains were the beef rendang and sweet chilli coconut chicken.
    The rendang was really nice with big chinks of beef but the beef was very dry in it. Strangely some was fine, other bits not so fine. I ended up leaving some of the meat behind. Id get it again but ask for chicken instead as the curry itself was lovely.
    The sweet chilli coconut chicken was really good. I ended up picking at the left overs from my wifes plate.
    Ill probably try it again before i write it off but first impressions werent brilliant.

i wonder if you can ask for chicken instead of beef - i thought of that before??

sporina wrote: »
    i wonder if you can ask for chicken instead of beef - i thought of that before??

I doubt it.
    It's not meat with sauce added, it's essentially like a spicy stew with the meat cooked in the sauce over hours until the sauce is pretty much all evaporated.

was in loving salads today.. was really busy - great space - ok not alot of seats but take away is fine.. for a lot of people salads are side dish anyway so folk will prob take it back to work and add their own meat or take it home to have with dinner..

fab selection and i had two salads - a roast carrot concoction and a beetroot, feta mix.. delish.. i think they will make mint.. so fresh and vibrant and excellent recipes and the best of ingredients.. fabulous,.. well welcomed..
    I doubt it.
    It's not meat with sauce added, it's essentially like a spicy stew with the meat cooked in the sauce over hours until the sauce is pretty much all evaporated.

yeah probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Does anyone know where to go for a nice Indian?
    The family decided we should go for one but none of us have the foggiest where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I've heard good things about Haveli and Lal Quila, but am yet to find anywhere in city centre that does a decent Indian sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

nerwen wrote: »
    I've heard good things about Haveli and Lal Quila, but am yet to find anywhere in city centre that does a decent Indian sadly.

Iyers?

I'd eat my own weight in that chilli gobi they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Got Ramen to take away a few weeks ago, wasn't really a fan. It was grand like, but I see what people meant when they said they thought the chicken was processed. I don't think it is, but it seems to be cut very regularly and was a bit chewy, tasted like it had been added to the curry afterwards rather than cooking it in it. We had been getting Chilli Padi pretty regularly (travelling 2.5 hours to get to Cork on a Friday means the Cork takeaway places have been doing well out of me!) and I liked their meat a lot better so will be sticking with them. Might've just been unlucky with Ramen though. Decent portions in both and the sauces and veg were tasty.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement