Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's will go down a storm in Douglas just like Eco. Douglas has an amazing capacity for enthusiastically embracing rubbish restaurants.

Hey.....I like Ecos :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hey.....I like Ecos :(

To be honest, I haven't been in about 14 years. It was rubbish then and massively popular.

To be honest, I haven't been in about 14 years. It was rubbish then and massively popular.
    I think some of the praise it gets is over the top, considering that the menu is relatively basic - but it's basic stuff done really well - have eaten there 3/4 times and been very happy with each go

Will go again soon just to test :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Likewise, I hadn't been there for years and had no interest in returning but my brother had his 40th birthday meal there a few months ago. Wasn't happy with the choice at the time but very pleasantly surprised with the food on the night. As D'Agger said, it's basic stuff but done really well. The only problem was, it was absolutely roasting in there - I mean ridiculously hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I wouldn't say Eco is simple food done well. I've only been there twice and found it below average each time. I couldn't go in again to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

It's been a while since I've been too but my impression was very crowded space and highish prices for average fare tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

i see annies has new owners again?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Eco is simple food done well. I've only been there twice and found it below average each time. I couldn't go in again to try it.

Agreed, it's basic food done pretty poorly. Was there recently for the first time in about ten years. Back then I didn't particularly like and and this time around, ten years later, my first impressions were confirmed.

Ordered the steak because , none of the 473 other main courses, that straddled the cuisines of the world really jumped out at me.

Asked for it medium rare, it came medium - well. The sides were uninspiring and while I forget which sauce I ordered, I remembered it not tasting of anything it was supposed to.

Seriously though, any restaurant that has so many dishes on a menu, (a) can't have all those ingredients fresh and (b) can't really care about the quality of the food that they produce.

It's like one of those many restaurants you come across in the various package holiday resorts in Spain/Portugal.

Food is like music, movies books etc. The most popular is always the blandest and it's not just a Douglas thing as mentioned above although it so the capital of blandness. Actually, thinking about it, I can't think of any restaurant in Douglas that I'd actually seek out to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I've enjoyed Aroi any time I've been.
    Great value and authentic Asian flavours.
    Might depend on what you order, though.

I've like Aroi most times I've been there but a few people that I've eaten with have complained about it and it generally boils down to the quality of the chicken in the Green Curry. Tbf, there's something not quite right about that chicken. it's almost as if it's processed chicken rather than freshly cooked. I'm not an expert so it may be just the way they prepare it.

Saying that, I generally stay away from their chicken dishes, and always enjoy the food there, and for the price, it's one of the best places in the city imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Footoo wrote: »
    I can't think of any restaurant in Douglas that I'd actually seek out to eat in.

Palmento?

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Palmento?
    Certainly seems to be a breath of fresh air to the area, only gotten take away from there once, but thought there was a great vibe & the food was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Certainly seems to be a breath of fresh air to the area, only gotten take away from there once, but thought there was a great vibe & the food was lovely

Haveli? Amazing food

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chilli Padi is by far the best of the Asian street food places, the Beef Rendang is unreal.

Footoo wrote: »
    Agreed, it's basic food done pretty poorly. Was there recently for the first time in about ten years. Back then I didn't particularly like and and this time around, ten years later, my first impressions were confirmed.

Ordered the steak because , none of the 473 other main courses, that straddled the cuisines of the world really jumped out at me.

Asked for it medium rare, it came medium - well. The sides were uninspiring and while I forget which sauce I ordered, I remembered it not tasting of anything it was supposed to.

Seriously though, any restaurant that has so many dishes on a menu, (a) can't have all those ingredients fresh and (b) can't really care about the quality of the food that they produce.

It's like one of those many restaurants you come across in the various package holiday resorts in Spain/Portugal.

Food is like music, movies books etc. The most popular is always the blandest and it's not just a Douglas thing as mentioned above although it so the capital of blandness. Actually, thinking about it, I can't think of any restaurant in Douglas that I'd actually seek out to eat in.

while I could agree with you and Eco's, isn't that post a bit harsh on Douglas? I seems harsh to voice a judgement such as the above about any such place - after all, different strokes for different folks etc..
    this is your opinion - and thats subjective.. i don't think its fair to say "douglas is the capital of blandness"..

rob316 wrote: »
    Chilli Padi is by far the best of the Asian street food places, the Beef Rendang is unreal.
    They've a lunch special for €5 that's outrageous value, highly recommend

Had their pad thai recently and loved it, kao phad is also really, really good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

So how did Salt go then!!

Still find them odd I sent them a facebook message to see about parties for Christmas for work and nope nothing back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I went to Salt and got a chicken sandwich which was half thigh meat and half cartilidge. Coffee was awful too. Really disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was there for brunch recently. Actually the breakfast/brunch menu isn't fab. I got eggs benedict which were vinegary as hell!

I would like to try the evening menu and wine though, because that's what I loved about Meade's when they had it.

Milly33 wrote: »
    So how did Salt go then!!

Still find them odd I sent them a facebook message to see about parties for Christmas for work and nope nothing back...

I posted about it a few pages back! It was nice, only had tapas though so can't comment on anything else food wise

was there something on here about Loving Salads opening on Academy street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry leahy I missed it.. Doesn't sound too great then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

sporina wrote: »
    was there something on here about Loving Salads opening on Academy street?

I passed where I think it's going to be this morning and they're still working on the fit-out from what I could see.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Sorry leahy I missed it.. Doesn't sound too great then...

Ah no, it was nice, a nice atmosphere but I just think it's hard to make a judgement from just tapas - like it was only bruschetta and breads and hummous and stuff - nothing fancy - but having said that it was nice. I would want to try lunch or brunch too though just to see what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

They've a lunch special for €5 that's outrageous value, highly recommend

Had their pad thai recently and loved it, kao phad is also really, really good

I thought their lunch special was €8 - is the €5 a recent thing? I go to the one in the City Centre on Fr. Mathew Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

onasis wrote: »
    I thought their lunch special was €8 - is the €5 a recent thing? I go to the one in the City Centre on Fr. Mathew Street.

I only just had a thai green curry for my lunch and it was €8 with drink and ice cream. Think they had a €5 special though during the summer without drink and ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

rob316 wrote: »
    I only just had a thai green curry for my lunch and it was €8 with drink and ice cream. Think they had a €5 special though during the summer without drink and ice cream.

That would make sense - it's also much better than the €8 as I never have the drink and could really do with passing up on the ice cream too:)

onasis wrote: »
    The one in Ballincollig had an August special where it was €5 for the special & an ice cream, no drink - for some reason it's continued into September so I'm delighted :)

The one in Ballincollig had an August special where it was €5 for the special & an ice cream, no drink - for some reason it's continued into September so I'm delighted :)

are the portions same size as a standard meal? and is it just one dish or are there options?

Standard size & only one option - It's next to a SuperValu in Ballincollig, so if there's something on I don't fancy, in for a sambo!

Ate in Brick Lane last night, got the steak sandwich which was nice but that's about it - nothing special about the place, simple food, nice setting and decent music. My friends did get the BBQ platter which looked lovely & good value - they were stuffed after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

jadie wrote: »
    I was thinking Brick Lane but saw it got very bad reviews on trip-advisor. Budget is low-ish and don't mind the type of food.

I'd trust TripAdvisor about as far as I'd throw it. I've had brunch in Brick Lane and thought it was quite good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement