Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Nice one, good stuff. Yeah I'm pushing up too easy as I'm afraid I'll put two heel marks in the walls!! LOL

As for this:
    Mellor wrote: »
    The 20 half HSPUs seams like a massive jump though.

Yeah, it's a lot but it's a goal. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hey guys,

Anyone any ideas on how to put together a cheap DIY wall mounted pull up bar and wall mounted dip bar for an exterior wall in my back yard?

I know I could buy one but money's tight so looking for something solid but dirt cheap. Where would I buy the materials - I presume a bracket and some pipe but just need a bit of advice on how to go about it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was a hectic few days only started this last night. Started with HSPUs, Squats and Leg Raises. Started each On level 1 and moved on if I hit the reps for progression.

HSPUs- did lvl 1 them stopped on level 2. Found ut hard to hold a Crow stand past 20 seconds. It's not a strength issue, as id be able to hold a wall handstand for the required 2 mins, knees just kept slipping. But im stay here until I get to 1 min.

Squats: got all the reps as far as level 5 and stopped. A single set of each. I'll warm up with lvl 5 and try level 6 next

Leg raises. As above. all reps to level 5 and stopped there.

Was a hectic few days only started this last night. Started with HSPUs, Squats and Leg Raises. Started each On level 1 and moved on if I hit the reps for progression.

HSPUs- did lvl 1 them stopped on level 2. Found ut hard to hold a Crow stand past 20 seconds. It's not a strength issue, as id be able to hold a wall handstand for the required 2 mins, knees just kept slipping. But im stay here until I get to 1 min.

Squats: got all the reps as far as level 5 and stopped. A single set of each. I'll warm up with lvl 5 and try level 6 next

Leg raises. As above. all reps to level 5 and stopped there.

Good man, nice one!! HSPU's I CAN'T do, but I'm gonna keep working on it. Crow stands I actually find easy enough, don't have a problem at all. I'm just about to go on to Level 4 in CC now (maybe next week) so it's all downhill from here!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Posted a while ago
    rubadub wrote: »
    On beastskills they do handstands against the wall the way most people do, that is kicking yourself up so your face is away from the way.

On a gymnastics site, www.gymnasticbodies.com many of them recommend doing it the other way, your face facing the wall. I think it might be better for training balance, not certain of other advantages. This facing the wall sounded weird and is tricky to get into at first, you must walk your way up the wall.

This is also a great exercise

Here is another which shows how you walk up the wall.

• Advertisement

Aw man, that's legend!! Nice one! I'll give that a go tonight. It seems so obvious but I wouldnever have thought to do it that way! Thanks. :cool:

Horizontal Pulls. Page 24

What equipment are people using to do the horizontal pulls. Nervous about using the kitchen table and dont know anything else where I can let my body underneath?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

karlitob wrote: »
    What equipment are people using to do the horizontal pulls. Nervous about using the kitchen table and dont know anything else where I can let my body underneath?

I tried kitchen table, but the edges were cutting into my hands.
    I use this setup now - http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg (gym rings hanging from pull-up bar).

Horizontal Pulls. Page 24

Thanks

I just started using the pull-up bar. Tried the table, didn't work.
    meijin wrote: »
    I use this setup now - http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg (gym rings hanging from pull-up bar).

Likewise, tried the kitchen table, but as it's round and the "legs" are in the middle, it just kept tipping over on top of me! LOL That's the same pull-up bar I have, where did you get the rings, I'd use something like that.

Rings!!! Great idea. Thanks. Where did you get them?

Thinking of just getting that pull-up/dip station - could add rings into them.

Starting my programme tomorrow. Kind of excited. I have my month plan done out for level 1 in the PullUps/PushUps/Squats and Leg Raises.

• Advertisement

Rings!!! Great idea. Thanks. Where did you get them?
    http://www.d8fitness.com/store/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dkennedy1001

Hi,

Just new on here but I am also doing CC and I am on step 3 of the first four exercises except pullups. In regards pullup bars for horizontal pullups I highly recommend this and the best £8 I have spent even though I have moved from Ireland and got this delivered to me in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymax-Doorway-Pull-Bar-Chin/dp/B002ZH82HE/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

It easily holds your weight and when you struggle with HP's at hip height (more than likely you will) you can begin them at sternum height and move the bar down as you get stronger.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Kinda hard to see in the pic, how portable are the rings? I'd be looking at only having them out when i'm using them and I dont want something thats gonna take a few minutes to set up every day

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DonegalBonz

Can anybody clarify if your meant to complete the highest reps of all 6 x stage 1 exercises before then moving onto stage 2 , or do you move onto the next stage as you complete each individual exercise.

Say for example, I complete 3 x 50 wall-pushups before I complete 120 sec wall headstands, can I then move onto Incline push-up and start on that whilst still working away on the wall headstand?

Can anybody clarify if your meant to complete the highest reps of all 6 x stage 1 exercises before then moving onto stage 2 , or do you move onto the next stage as you complete each individual exercise.

Say for example, I complete 3 x 50 wall-pushups before I complete 120 sec wall headstands, can I then move onto Incline push-up and start on that whilst still working away on the wall headstand?

Yes move on when you hit progression on each individual exercise. It's advised not to do Handstand pushups or bridges till hitting step 7 in the other 4 exercises unless quite strong to begin with

You will find that Pullups will lag behind the other exercises though especially when you come to step two.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Move on as you hit individual targets. Levels aren't all equal across moves. Full squats are level 5, but would be a lot easier than full handstand push ups or full pull ups, both also lvl 5

Move on as you hit individual targets. They aren't all equal access moves. Full squats are level 5, but would be a lot easier than full handstand push ups or full pull ups

What he said. ^^^

Hi all,

Started my first two sessions this week. Up at 6...ish. Down the stairs - and did the Knee Tucks and Wall PushUps then ShoulderStand Squats and Wall PullUps.

I'm in bits already - can't believe how weak I am but I'm gonna push hard at this. Defo want to succeed at it. Love to hit Level 6 at everything.

My form for the shoulderstand squats is awful - totally underestimated how hard they are.
    Found it difficult to find a spot to do the wall pushups - anyone any ideas. I used the handles of a door but don't want to continue to do that.

Thanks all

Started my first two sessions this week. Up at 6...ish. Down the stairs - and did the Knee Tucks and Wall PushUps then ShoulderStand Squats and Wall PullUps.

I'm in bits already - can't believe how weak I am but I'm gonna push hard at this. Defo want to succeed at it. Love to hit Level 6 at everything.

Good man. I was the same, but just keep at it. I found a few things difficult at the start but it gets easier. Then you move onto the next level and it gets harder again. LOL
    Found it difficult to find a spot to do the wall pushups - anyone any ideas. I used the handles of a door but don't want to continue to do that.

Not being smart but do you mean vertical pulls? Otherwise I'm sure you have plenty of walls in your home to do it against?

Not being smart but do you mean vertical pulls? Otherwise I'm sure you have plenty of walls in your home to do it against?

LOL It's wall-to-wall walls in this place. Yep - vertical pulls. Any suggestions - reckon I gotta get those bars for outside. But I do wanna say that I feel embarrassed if the neighbours saw me but that's just stupid.

• Advertisement

LOL It's wall-to-wall walls in this place. Yep - vertical pulls. Any suggestions - reckon I gotta get those bars for outside. But I do wanna say that I feel embarrassed if the neighbours saw me but that's just stupid.

Embarrassed? Why, cos you're getting fit? I wouldn't worry about them mate. Sure I have a tractor tyre out the back garden that I beat with a sledgehammer and then flip around the garden. I don't care who's looking or what they think.

As for the vertical pulls, why can't you use the door jambs/frames? That's what I used.

Embarrassed? Why, cos you're getting fit? I wouldn't worry about them mate. Sure I have a tractor tyre out the back garden that I beat with a sledgehammer and then flip around the garden. I don't care who's looking or what they think.

As for the vertical pulls, why can't you use the door jambs/frames? That's what I used.

I tried that but had a poor grip and couldnt lean back as far as I wanted to - I'm 6'3". I'll try them again tomorrow.

Thanks for the pep talk

I tried that but had a poor grip and couldnt lean back as far as I wanted to - I'm 6'3". I'll try them again tomorrow.

Thanks for the pep talk

Just keep at it mate. I'm 6' 4" and it didn't stop me. Your fingers/hands will adjust and get stronger. How about a brush handle or bar crosways in the doorway? Kinda like a pull up bar, but not so high?

Kinda hard to see in the pic, how portable are the rings? I'd be looking at only having them out when i'm using them and I dont want something thats gonna take a few minutes to set up every day
    I keep rings hanging from the pull-up bar at all times, but it would take less than a minute to remove them. If I need to remove the pull-up bar, I keep them on the parallel handles.
    Other than that, it's a bit hard to find a place for rings in regular apartment.

Hi,

Does anyone have any useful tips on the Horizontal Pullups? Currently on a night I can do 1x18, 2x12 at sternum height (nipple height between you and me) and then I am beat.

I guess I just need to struggle on adding reps each time but I was just wondering did everyone who has progressed eventually do 3x30 at hip height and how long did this take to achieve?

I have never lifted weights of any type before and have skinny arms so that may be my isssue as im beginning from a basic position.

Any feedback or tips would be appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Hi,

Does anyone have any useful tips on the Horizontal Pullups? Currently on a night I can do 1x18, 2x12 at sternum height (nipple height between you and me) and then I am beat.

I guess I just need to struggle on adding reps each time but I was just wondering did everyone who has progressed eventually do 3x30 at hip height and how long did this take to achieve?

I have never lifted weights of any type before and have skinny arms so that may be my isssue as im beginning from a basic position.

Cheers

That's how I do it, I just make sure I add at least 1 more rep onto the sets so I'm progressing each session.

It will take a while to get up to 3x30 so patience and persistence is key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Hi,

Cheers

http://whitecollarwarrior.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/greasing-the-groove/

This is some good advice for exercises you find difficult to do and will help you improve.

Thanks leggit and Ant11, sound advice from you.

The GTG link is quite interesting. I don’t have much opportunity to do horizontal pull-ups in my office but I might try to do a few reps in the evenings and on a Saturday or Sunday throughout the day to see how I get on with getting my body used to the movement.

I found more GTG discussion here:

http://www.leanandmuscular.org/greasing-the-groove.php

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45827

Thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Picked up Convict Conditioning at the weekend. I have never had any exercise routine before some of it went over my head to be honest. I'm a bit confused about what my weekly routine should be starting off, including warm-up sets.

I'm starting with the New Blood routine as he recommends.

It goes as follows:

Monday Pushups 2-3 work sets
    Leg Raises 2-3 work sets

Tues Off

Wed Off

Thurs Off

Friday Pullups 2-3 work sets
    Squats 2-3 work sets

Sat & Sun Off

Now to me that doesn't look like it is sufficient at all but I'm willing to do it if that is what he recommends

I'm just curious as to how many reps per set for work sets and how many sets & reps I should be doing to warm up

He recommends 3 sets of 10 reps starting, which I managed easily. I also did 20 reps for 1 set and then 15 reps for 1 set in each exercise to warm up. I took my time and I had the Monday workout done in under 30min without breaking a sweat.

Am I doing it wrong? Should I up the intensity already and if so what is the best way to do that?

I'm a total noob to all this :o

• Advertisement

Picked up Convict Conditioning at the weekend.

Welcome ;)
    I'm just curious as to how many reps per set for work sets and how many sets & reps I should be doing to warm up

He recommends 3 sets of 10 reps starting, which I managed easily. I also did 20 reps for 1 set and then 15 reps for 1 set in each exercise to warm up. I took my time and I had the Monday workout done in under 30min without breaking a sweat.

Am I doing it wrong? Should I up the intensity already and if so what is the best way to do that?

If you're just on step 1, do some jog and arm circles for warm-up. For next steps I usually do 1 set of half of progression reps for warm-up from previous 2-3 steps.

If you can do 3x10 easily that's great, just add 5-10 reps to each set next week. When it gets challenging, just aim to add 1-2 reps each week (that's what I do). Don't worry it's easy now, it will get harder :D

Advertisement