Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

meijin wrote: »
    I went back to step 1 on few routines where slightly different muscles are being used or to work on better form. Also tried 2-0-2-1 tempo recently which makes it a bit more difficult for me.
    I think few weeks is good idea, as not only your muscles should be able to go do the workout, but also tendons and joints need to get used to them. And besides, it's not a race :)

Yep, that's it exactly. I'd rather get it done right, than quickly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

level 1 done on all exercises to progression standard,
    tougher than I expected.

being upside down for 2 mins was odd..but certainly got attention .

shoulderstand squats were difficult -don't mind spending time on them as I'll fly through the later leg steps as I've performed many of them for massive amount of reps.

knee tucks exposed a tightness in my hips which now I can work on.

i'm impressed with the program moreso than when I just read it

level 1 done on all exercises to progression standard,
    tougher than I expected.

being upside down for 2 mins was odd..but certainly got attention .

shoulderstand squats were difficult -don't mind spending time on them as I'll fly through the later leg steps as I've performed many of them for massive amount of reps.

knee tucks exposed a tightness in my hips which now I can work on.

i'm impressed with the program moreso than when I just read it

Likewise mate. I thought the vertical push-ups were going to be a bit easy, but three sets of 50 kinda take it out of you. Found it hard to balance for the shoulderstand squats, but I'm managing. Knee tucks hurt my back for some reason and the short bridges killing my thighs. And the headstand - couldn't do two minutes, it was torture on my neck, but did 2 x1 min sets. Tis a good program alright. I've done it three times this week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Be careful with headstands. I used them as a progression for handstands and they take some work. You need to get used to being upside down before you start doing them for time. Don't forget to breath!

DamienH wrote: »
    Be careful with headstands. I used them as a progression for handstands and they take some work. You need to get used to being upside down before you start doing them for time. Don't forget to breath!

Thanks man. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DonegalBonz

I'm liking the sound of BW exercises and an entire body workout at home, can somebody PM me a link to this. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Whats the story do ya have to sign upto 4 shared to be able to view it? Only getting a quick chance to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Looks like it's getting very popular :)
    Other things you may find useful:

Moved onto Step 2 of this yesterday. I guess it just gets harder now! :rolleyes: BUT, at the start I wasn't able to do ANY chin-ups, I can now do two sets of ten without a problem, so something is working.

How is everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Moved onto Step 2 of this yesterday. I guess it just gets harder now! :rolleyes: BUT, at the start I wasn't able to do ANY chin-ups, I can now do two sets of ten without a problem, so something is working.

How is everyone else getting on?

How long did you spend on step 1? Trying to get started on it at the moment but its hard to motivate myself to do wall pushups etc as theres little challenge. Was thinking of just skipping on to step 3 for some exercises

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    How long did you spend on step 1? Trying to get started on it at the moment but its hard to motivate myself to do wall pushups etc as theres little challenge. Was thinking of just skipping on to step 3 for some exercises

So can you easily do 3*50 wall pushups in 2-1-2 tempo?

If you have no problem doing step 1 progression, just try it for week or two - no harm in that. Some of them work slightly different muscles, or you can use it to focus on better form. But for some of them the better approach may be to start at the beginner or intermediate standard and slowly increase sets/reps every week. You'll get used to slow increases in the future.

I went back to step 1 for some exercises and going to spend 4 weeks on each after reaching progression step. Also I'm thinking about taking a week off after every 4 weeks of training, as it's quite intense.

I was trying out various schedules and found this one to suit me best so far:
    • Mon/Thu - leg lifts, bridges
    • Tue/Fri - pushups, pullups, fingertip pushups, bar hangs
    • Wed/Sat - squats, calfs
    • Sun - rest

ceegee wrote: »

About 3 weeks I think? Likewise, I thought it was easy enough to do too, but I was taking Paul Wades advice where he said not to just jump ahead because you find it too easy. So feck it, that's what I'm doing.
    meijin wrote: »
    So can you easily do 3*50 wall pushups in 2-1-2 tempo?

If you have no problem doing step 1 progression, just try it for week or two - no harm in that. Some of them work slightly different muscles, or you can use it to focus on better form. But for some of them the better approach may be to start at the beginner or intermediate standard and slowly increase sets/reps every week. You'll get used to slow increases in the future.

I went back to step 1 for some exercises and going to spend 4 weeks on each after reaching progression step. Also I'm thinking about taking a week off after every 4 weeks of training, as it's quite intense.

Yeah, that's pretty much it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

on stage two now.
    mixing it with 5/3/1 - using convict conditioning as a lot of my assistence work

level 2 is tougher.

squats, incline push up , abs thing are not bad - hit progression standard straight away.

the back one - which is essentially an inverted row - can get 3 sets of 25 done. my elbows hurt just as I try to hit 30. But confident in a few sessions I will.

crow stands were done - but not able to fully repeated.

the bridge one - wtf - I got 1 set of 15 done my my arms gave way.
    how the **** am I gonna get 3 sets of 30 done?
    Thinking this exercise will take the full month.

crow stands were done - but not able to fully repeated.

the bridge one - wtf - I got 1 set of 15 done my my arms gave way.
    how the **** am I gonna get 3 sets of 30 done?
    Thinking this exercise will take the full month.

PMSL! Crow stands I find difficult enough ATM. I can do 2 x20 sec ea, but I presume it'll get better? The bridge one is tough enough alright, a killer on the back of the arms for me.

The bridge one is tough enough alright, a killer on the back of the arms for me.
    so maybe there is a reason bridges (and handstands) are recommended after completing step 6 (AFAIR) of other exercises? ;)

I actually can't keep my hands in the place he suggests for straight bridges, and need to move it further back to keep the balance... :o

Short bridges are easy enough and focus mostly on the back, but further up more muscles get involved. I think I'll stay on short bridges for a while. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just a heads up, google is working fine. A lor easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Is there any recommended nutrition program to go with this - besides eating 'sensibly'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

luckylucky wrote: »
    Is there any recommended nutrition program to go with this - besides eating 'sensibly'?

Depends on your goals... What are they?

Hanley wrote: »
    Depends on your goals... What are they?

1. Lose body fat - I'm at almost 28% body fat.
    2. Want to be strong, fast and flexible, or at least stronger, faster and more flexible than I am now.
    3. All-round healthier.

I've pretty much read all that pdf today - I really like it and his whole philosophy. Pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for. Could do with some other stuff thrown in though to shift some body fat.

• Advertisement

I've pretty much read all that pdf today - I really like it and his whole philosophy. Pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for. Could do with some other stuff thrown in though to shift some body fat.

I do the Convict Conditioning twice or three times a week (depending on time) as well as boxing on a Wednesday night, kick-boxing on a Friday night, one 8km run during the week, one 16km cycle during the week and 2 hours weights on a Monday. I started it all in January and I've lost my belly (it wasn't bad anyway) and toned up a good bit, and getting pretty fit too. There's a load you can do mate. How about doing something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The only thing you need to "throw in" is a better diet tbh!!

I do the Convict Conditioning twice or three times a week (depending on time) as well as boxing on a Wednesday night, kick-boxing on a Friday night, one 8km run during the week, one 16km cycle during the week and 2 hours weights on a Monday. I started it all in January and I've lost my belly (it wasn't bad anyway) and toned up a good bit, and getting pretty fit too. There's a load you can do mate. How about doing something like that?

Yeah that sounds like a good mix alright - a bit too much for me at my current fitness state but I get the picture. I'm going to look up into taking up a martial art - I think they have Karate in my local town here - if it's not full of kids I'll probably take that up. Going to aim to walk every day and for longer - rather than every other day and not usually for too long like I do now. If I can shed a few pounds I might try to do some running - a bit wary of running due to old knee injuries and the high impact nature of running though. Cycling sounds good -but don't have bike and not exactly flush with cash at the minute to buy one - but defo worth thinking about.

I was also thinking of doing the exercises in the book a bit more frequently than he suggests. The first level by and large seems very easy and I don't think I'd be at all tired if I do the stuff every day. Though I do note he says 'Muscles adapt quicker than joints. This routine gives the soft tissues-which are new to this type of work-enough time off to catch up.' ..... so maybe take 2 days off... does that sound reasonable?
    Hanley wrote: »
    The only thing you need to "throw in" is a better diet tbh!!

Defo need to work on my diet. I actually eat quite a lot of healthy food, the problem is I also eat a lot of junk - particularly breads and sweet stuff - so if those two things alone go that'll be a big improvement alone - obviously a bit more fine tuning of what I eat might be needed as well.

Sounds like you have your head screwed on and some good ideas. A couple of things though....
    Yeah that sounds like a good mix alright - a bit too much for me at my current fitness state but I get the picture.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I'm 41 and have smoked since I was 11/12 and never did any sort of activity. What I do now, I have built up to in the last two months.
    I might try to do some running - a bit wary of running due to old knee injuries and the high impact nature of running though.

I was in the exact same frame of mind as I have a bad knee injury from a parachute accident years ago, but I eased myself into it. I did 2km the first day. Jogged 500m, walked 500m, jogged 500m, walked 500m and slowly built myself up. Again, in two months I went from that to doing 8km straight now! Also, with the Convict Conditioning, it will help strengthen your knee IMO and help you with your running.
    Cycling sounds good -but don't have bike and not exactly flush with cash at the minute to buy one - but defo worth thinking about.

Again, I'm out of work so in a similar situation, but went down to the local bike shop and bought a second hand mountain bike for €80. Also, keep an eye on Adverts.ie you'd pick one up cheap enough (sub €100) in there. It'd certainly do you for what you need.
    I was also thinking of doing the exercises in the book a bit more frequently than he suggests. The first level by and large seems very easy and I don't think I'd be at all tired if I do the stuff every day. Though I do note he says 'Muscles adapt quicker than joints. This routine gives the soft tissues-which are new to this type of work-enough time off to catch up.' ..... so maybe take 2 days off... does that sound reasonable?

Yep, sounds reasonable enough, but just think about jumping ahead. If you read the book, Wade suggests that even if you find something easy, NOT to jump ahead of yourself as your muscles need to get used to the routines and build up to what will be the Master Step.
    Defo need to work on my diet. I actually eat quite a lot of healthy food, the problem is I also eat a lot of junk - particularly breads and sweet stuff - so if those two things alone go that'll be a big improvement alone - obviously a bit more fine tuning of what I eat might be needed as well.

Pffft, meet your brother!! I'm addicted to Haribo jellies and Wispa bars!! In fairness, since I started all this, I eat a LOT more fruit than I ever used to, and a lot more brown rice, chicken etc. But I think you're allowed a cheat day, where I just take the piss and order a Dominos, a Chinese, drink 2 litres of Coke and eat lots of sweets and chocolate over the course of the day. I shouldn't, but I'm weak! LOL

Cheers please kill me
    Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I'm 41 and have smoked since I was 11/12 and never did any sort of activity. What I do now, I have built up to in the last two months.

Well I'm 41 also :) .. don't know if you saw that from the thread i posted a few days ago.
    I was in the exact same frame of mind as I have a bad knee injury from a parachute accident years ago, but I eased myself into it.....
    Sounds good. I'll probably do a bit of running alright. I'll probably try to ease myself into it even a bit slower than what you did tbh. Going to see if I can drop a few pounds first. Maybe I'll wait a month. This is for the long haul so no huge rush - just as long as things are moving in the right direction.
    Again, I'm out of work so in a similar situation, but went down to the local bike shop and bought a second hand mountain bike for €80. Also, keep an eye on Adverts.ie you'd pick one up cheap enough (sub €100) in there. It'd certainly do you for what you need.

I'm based in Portugal so adverts.ie is out for me i'm afraid :p. I'll probably skip the bike for the time being but if I get a bit more money together I'll buy one then. Hope you find some work soon (if that's what you want) btw.
    Yep, sounds reasonable enough, but just think about jumping ahead. If you read the book, Wade suggests that even if you find something easy, NOT to jump ahead of yourself as your muscles need to get used to the routines and build up to what will be the Master Step.
    Yeah won't overdo it, but need to get doing stuff so I'll probably do a bit more than he recommends for a raw beginner. I'm unfit but I'm not like morbidly obese unfit - first level seems very easy - except for the shoulderstand squats - which seems dangerous to me for a beginner anyway - I'll probably skip that step and move on to step 2.
    I think you're allowed a cheat day, where I just take the piss and order a Dominos, a Chinese, drink 2 litres of Coke and eat lots of sweets and chocolate over the course of the day. I shouldn't, but I'm weak! LOL

Jaysus - lol - that sounds like a convict getting out of jail splurge. tbh that probably wouldn't work for me. I'm a creature of habit - if I went nuts on chocs on 1 day I'd be wanting them again the next. Guess my treat day, might just involve going out for a meal and not overly paying focus on what I eat - bar sweet stuff.

Well I'm 41 also :) .. don't know if you saw that from the thread i posted a few days ago.

Apologies, I never copped it.
    Sounds good. I'll probably do a bit of running alright. I'll probably try to ease myself into it even a bit slower than what you did tbh. Going to see if I can drop a few pounds first. Maybe I'll wait a month. This is for the long haul so no huge rush - just as long as things are moving in the right direction.

Well, just go at your own pace, no point making yourself feel worse by pushing too hard.
    I'm based in Portugal so adverts.ie is out for me i'm afraid :p. I'll probably skip the bike for the time being but if I get a bit more money together I'll buy one then. Hope you find some work soon (if that's what you want) btw.

Ah, never copped that either. Sorry. Still, I'm sure you'll get sorted.

Oh God yeah, I've worked all my life, I need to be busy/active. I think I have a part-time job sorted (2 days a week) it's better than nothing!
    Yeah won't overdo it, but need to get doing stuff so I'll probably do a bit more than he recommends for a raw beginner. I'm unfit but I'm not like morbidly obese unfit - first level seems very easy - except for the shoulderstand squats - which seems dangerous to me for a beginner anyway - I'll probably skip that step and move on to step 2.

I thought the shoulderstand squats were ok in fairness, but again - do wat you feel comfortable with. Step 2 is the jack-knife squats which you don't need balance for.
    Jaysus - lol - that sounds like a convict getting out of jail splurge. tbh that probably wouldn't work for me. I'm a creature of habit - if I went nuts on chocs on 1 day I'd be wanting them again the next. Guess my treat day, might just involve going out for a meal and not overly paying focus on what I eat - bar sweet stuff.

Nah, that's just my appetite, I'm a pig!! LOL. For instance, I've just had my lunch which was 6 boiled eggs, half a sliced pan toasted, a litre of milk and a packet of biccys. :rolleyes: LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Since a couple of people mentioned wanting to throw some running into the mix, check out couch to 5k. Like cc, it starts off slowly to let you get going. Quick google will find it and if you have a.smartphone you'll find lots of apps offeri.g notification alerts while running.

Other thoughts, I skipped the shoulderstand too and moved straight to jackknife squats. I'll likely move back to them when I feel my balance/coordination is coming along better.

Nevore wrote: »
    Since a couple of people mentioned wanting to throw some running into the mix, check out couch to 5k. Like cc, it starts off slowly to let you get going.

Cheers Nevore, had a look at it - sounds like it's a good plan. I'll give it a go.
    btw my runners are only cross trainers - not a dedicated running shoe - are they ok for doing this do you reckon or am I better off with a dedicated running shoe?
    FWIW I'll actually be running on dust tracks here so that might have some bearing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm of the opinion that whatever is to hand will do. For a long time I let my lack of -running shoes, barbells, or whatever hold me back. "oh, I can't work out until I have x or y"

So use the cross trainers for now, get running shoes if/when you need/afford them.

That's why I like convict conditioning. I have no excuses for not doing it cause it needs no equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I've just started reading this today, but am pretty confident I'll be giving the program a shot (I've started looking around for a pull-ups location!).

But as someone with no real knowledge of exercise/fitness, I'm wondering what some of the experts here on boards make of Wade's writing? It struck me that he makes a lot of claims about how modern exercise and fitness training do more harm than good. Just as one example, re: bench pressing, he says it
    destroys the rotator cuff muscles as well as irritating the elbow and wrist joints when performed over even short periods.
    When talking about modern sportsmen/women, he says
    most of the top guys (whether you believe it or not) only achieve their (temporarily) high level of ability due to performance drugs such as anabolic steroids, testosterone variants, growth hormone, insulin and numerous other substances.
    Basically I'm just wondering what you all think of these claims? So far in the book, I haven't seen the author quote any external references to back up his assertions. Just wondering if this type of writing undermines the message he's trying to get out? I understand that he's got a product to sell. Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction! But essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of guys/gals in the know about these things... In other words, what do you think of a) the program itself and b) the book as a whole?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

Advertisement