Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

meijin wrote: »
    Nice! :)

I'm moving slowly through step 2 on pushups & leg lifts, and 1.5 on pull-ups (ring pulls, using this http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg), usually increasing reps by 10% every week, with every 4th week off for recovery, beside that I'm back to running since April. Sticking to step 1 on bridges for a while, but at progression level of step 6 on squats :D

Also doing few exercises from CC2:
    • grip work - got to 4*60 sec of bar hang
    • fingertip push-ups - just keep it easy at 3*10 on the wall once a week
    • calf rises - step 1, 4*80 reps, adding 10 every week
    You can see my log on http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/meijin/

Good stuff!! When I'm doing the CC, I also incorporate pull ups. I do 3 sets of 10 with a front grip and three sets of 10 with a reverse grip. Something I couldn't do when I started, so YAY!! :D
    PS can we get the thread cleaned of the link requests, and can people just PM "Please Kill Me" please? :p

Yeah, not a bad idea in fairness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Please Kill Me could I get a link too pretty please:o

Can a woman do this workout too without turning into The Incredible Hulk? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

ziggy23 wrote: »

To quote:
    g'em wrote:
    Doing weights will not bulk women up. Women just don't have the testosterone level needed to pack on that much muscle. The majority, if not all, female bodybuilders, take hormones to increase their size- it's NOT natural. Weights will however, tone you, increase your metabolism therefore helping you burn more fat even when sedentary, improve your posture, slow the aging process, reduce the risk of osteoperosis, make you stronger less prone to injury.
    Ok, you won't be using actual weights, but you will be lifting and pushing etc your own bodyweight.

Oh and PM sent, to save poor Please Kill Me from burning out his pm button!

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Please Kill Me could I get a link too pretty please:o

Hopefully you got the link from Nevore (thanks) and to answer your question, no you won't go like the Hulk. This will help tone you and build strength, but won't bulk you up. You'll be safe enough. And it'll be easy enough for you to do if you follow the program. Two of my "girl" friends are doing it and have no problems with it.
    Nevore wrote: »
    To quote:

Ok, you won't be using actual weights, but you will be lifting and pushing etc your own bodyweight.

This! ^^^
    Nevore wrote: »
    Oh and PM sent, to save poor Please Kill Me from burning out his pm button!

LMFAO! Cheers for that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Could someone PM me a copy of this? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

En route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Been reading this, very interesting. I've been dropping weight, walking and running and lifting some weights recently, this is exactly the kinda thing i'm looking for!

I was always a small skinny kid, and despite growing to be 6'1" and "well built", i've never really had great strength.

Will read through the entire book today and hopefully start day 1 of this in the evening!

Gotta grab myself a pull-up bar too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Would anyone be so kind as to send a copy of the linke please?.
    Thanks
    Stu.

Read the book today and started training today. Pretty straight forward, I followed the instructions in the "Workout Programs" section and started off with "New Blood", where you should do 2-3 Work Sets of both "Push-Ups" and "Leg-Raises".

Now, i'm starting from scratch but, of course, doing 1 set of 10 reps of wall Pushups is pretty easy! Did anyone else just say "F*ck it, i'll do the 2 sets of 25"? I was thinking about it, but the book says not to jump forward?

I mean, on one hand it's easy, but I do other things like BJJ and running and don't want to pick up niggly injuries to keep me from doing other training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Read the book today and started training today. Pretty straight forward, I followed the instructions in the "Workout Programs" section and started off with "New Blood", where you should do 2-3 Work Sets of both "Push-Ups" and "Leg-Raises".

Now, i'm starting from scratch but, of course, doing 1 set of 10 reps of wall Pushups is pretty easy! Did anyone else just say "F*ck it, i'll do the 2 sets of 25"? I was thinking about it, but the book says not to jump forward?

I mean, on one hand it's easy, but I do other things like BJJ and running and don't want to pick up niggly injuries to keep me from doing other training?

for sure , i ran straight into the progression standard at the earlier steps.
    but you can do a few weeks at level 1 just doing the progression like 3 set fo 50 reps.
    I actually use it as my assistence work (amongst other stuff) with 5/3/1 program.
    I do thai also 3 times a week and I find the BW work doesn't interfere with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Hi folks, woud anyone have a link or pm to spare...?:o

thanks in advance,

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm going traveling for 3 weeks so I'll probably use something like convict conditioning well in hotels and such. I'll be jumping in higher up, it would be a waste of time for me to start at 10 wall press-ups. I think the reason it says not to skip is so beginners don't sacrifice form for the sake of reps, eg somebody thinking they can do 25 press-ups and trying to progress to one handed, but in reality, they were only doing half pressups.

I'll prob in the first session, do the first few progression standards back to back to work out the correct level to start at. I have a rough idea, but i'll have to see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

what would an average workout consist of?

Discostuy wrote: »
    Would anyone be so kind as to send a copy of the link please?.
    Thanks
    Stu.

ON the way now...

Like King of Kings, I just started at the progression level on step 1.
    daithi1970 wrote: »
    Hi folks, woud anyone have a link or pm to spare...?:o

thanks in advance,

daithi

On the way to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

My log is an indication of the type of training done when you mainly focus on BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Rossin wrote: »
    what would an average workout consist of?

My last 3 workouts below. I use 2-1-2 tempo for most. Each workout takes about 1h. I add about 10% reps each week. But if you start from 1st step obviously it will be different/shorter/easier. (I run and play table tennis on some other days)

Friday, legs
    Body Weight Half Squat: 1*25 - warm-up
    Body Weight Squat: 1*15 - warm-up
    Body Weight Close Squat: 1*10 - warm-up
    Body Weight Squated Pistol: 3*6 (each leg); down portion - close squat, extend one leg, up portion on one leg

Standing Calf Raises, bent legs: 4*90

Saturday, core
    Knee Tuck: 1*20 - warm-up
    Flat Knee Raise: 3*30

Short Bridge: 3*50

today, upper body
    Wall Push-Up: 1*25 regular - warm-up
    Incline Push-Up: 3*40

Vertical Pull: 1*20 - warm-up
    Body Weight Ring Row: 3*15

Wall Push-Up: 3*10 fingertip
    hanging off the bar: 4*60s, 90s rest

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭osullic

Care to share the link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

So having started this 2 weeks ago i'm really enjoying it.

Didn't stick to "New Blood" because I thought doing the exercises once a week was a bit too cautionary!

Been rotating them every 2nd/3rd day. I've been doing the progression standard of all but the leg raise/knee tucks. I find when doing these I get sore quickly in my hips and in the small of my back, so been taking it easy with them.

But even after 2 weeks I can notice the difference. I mean, for example, the Vertical Pull Up exercise is great and doing the progression standard each time is straight forward, but I definitely feel it's easier every time i'm doing it, the same with all of the exercises. So they must be doing something!

Gonna continue to do each exercise in Step 1 for another 2 weeks so I have completed a month's worth of the step and then move on!

I thought the point was to move on once you can do the progression standard. Been a while since I read it.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought the point was to move on once you can do the progression standard. Been a while since I read it.

Yeah it is but he also says not to skip steps and to "Serve your time" on each of the levels even if you can easily reach progrssion levels on the earlier steps.

The reason for they is to work up to proper reps. Once you've reached the progression standard with good form you've "served your time".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Would someone kindly send me a copy please.

Some interesting comments on this thread, sounds like it could be worth a read. Currently doing a different program but this could be good for a bit of variety.

The reason for they is to work up to proper reps. Once you've reached the progression standard with good form you've "served your time".

Cool! Well even though i'm at progression standard i'm still gonna keep up those exercises for the 2 weeks as I said and then move on. I'm in no rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Yeah, i worked through the progressions from wall pushups and vertical pulls but even after 3*50/3*40 on these, you really do tire out the arms. I'm looking to work steadily through it but dropping most weightlifting now (except my DL's) and working through this 3-4 days per week.
    I still seize up after 3*25 knee tucks....
    But i'm up to level 2 in some things but level 1 still in handstand and leg raises. Working through it and enjoying it though

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Ant11 wrote: »

Some interesting comments on this thread, sounds like it could be worth a read. Currently doing a different program but this could be good for a bit of variety.

I would like a copy too please :)

Michael 09 wrote: »

On the way lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Michael 09 wrote: »

On the way lads...

Can I have a copy please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Yeah, but did you really reach the progression standard in perfect form? or was it a bit forced? I actually stay on it for 4 weeks - no rush there :)

I use this table to plan my workouts http://tinyurl.com/6q82gf5 - feel free to copy :)
    Some other useful links in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77339983&postcount=53

PS I recently also started adding some mobility drills from "Super Joints" by Pavel Tsatsouline

• Advertisement

Yeah, but did you really reach the progression standard in perfect form? or was it a bit forced? I actually stay on it for 4 weeks - no rush there :)

I use this table to plan my workouts http://tinyurl.com/6q82gf5 - feel free to copy :)
    Some other useful links in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77339983&postcount=53

PS I recently also started adding some mobility drills from "Super Joints" by Pavel Tsatsouline

Yeah and from reading the book, if I'm not mistaken, he talks about sticking to it on the lower levels as you're building a solid base and "putting strength in the bank". There's a section where he describes one guy who doesn't do the earlier steps properly (or at all) and finds difficulty in the later steps due to this.

Either way, I'm in no hurry, im enjoying going through the steps and feeling how its getting easier each time

Advertisement