Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Can I have a copy please?

Course you can, on the way mate...

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah and from reading the book, if I'm not mistaken, he talks about sticking to it on the lower levels as you're building a solid base and "putting strength in the bank". There's a section where he describes one guy who doesn't do the earlier steps properly (or at all) and finds difficulty in the later steps due to this.

Either way, I'm in no hurry, im enjoying going through the steps and feeling how its getting easier each time

That's right, and because of that, I'm doing it as per the book. I started Step 3 today. Should have been on it sooner, but there was a lapse of any form of training for about 3 weeks. But, like you said - no hurry. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

meijin wrote: »
    Yeah, but did you really reach the progression standard in perfect form? or was it a bit forced? I actually stay on it for 4 weeks - no rush there :)
    If you got there without good form then you didn't get there.
    I'm not advocating rushing ahead, but if you are physically able to progress you should imo.

There's definitely a huge benefit to learning to squat properly by going through the steps, especially for beginners. But if you already squat a bit. Then going back to shoulder stand or jackknife squats is like almsot not training.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah and from reading the book, if I'm not mistaken, he talks about sticking to it on the lower levels as you're building a solid base and "putting strength in the bank". There's a section where he describes one guy who doesn't do the earlier steps properly (or at all) and finds difficulty in the later steps due to this.

Either way, I'm in no hurry, im enjoying going through the steps and feeling how its getting easier each time

I'm wasn't saying it was wrong or anything. Didn't mean to give that impression. Just suggesting that it would be fine to move on it you hit the require numbers. But staying put is fine too, especially if you are not time restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Mellor wrote: »
    There's definitely a huge benefit to learning to squat properly by going through the steps, especially for beginners. But if you already squat a bit. Then going back to shoulder stand or jackknife squats is like almsot not training.

I've been squatting for a while now and I got help to make sure i always had good form but doing the shoulderstand squats, my arms ache, my knees defo don't touch the forehead (not due to belly i'd think) so was going to skip on to next few squats but might need to stick to it.
    But going to ease through the push and pull ups.
    Also, moving onto straight bridges which look weird. Is this just driving from the hips and straightening the spine? Maybe i'm missing something.
    On the horizontal pulls i couldn't find something in the gym so used the rings at hip height for this. Is that ok, i know the book doesn't say use this grip or that grip and mentions using natural/comfortable grips.... hope this isn't considered cheating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Guys, I've removed a number of posts on this thread pending Mod review. Please don't use boards as a platform for filesharing potentially copyrighted/pirated ebooks. I'm presuming if it's for sale somewhere, then you shouldn't be pimping free download links, so I'm not too chuffed about this if that's the case. I've asked the Mods to review, so from now on no filesharing, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Has anyone achieved much using this e.g. noticeable size or strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

You definitely make size and strength gains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

PauloConn wrote: »
    I've been squatting for a while now and I got help to make sure i always had good form but doing the shoulderstand squats, my arms ache, my knees defo don't touch the forehead (not due to belly i'd think) so was going to skip on to next few squats but might need to stick to it.

yeah, it's great for increasing your flexibility/ROM, unfortunately some days I'm not too happy being upside down...
    Also, moving onto straight bridges which look weird. Is this just driving from the hips and straightening the spine? Maybe i'm missing something.

more or less... :)
    On the horizontal pulls i couldn't find something in the gym so used the rings at hip height for this. Is that ok, i know the book doesn't say use this grip or that grip and mentions using natural/comfortable grips.... hope this isn't considered cheating :D

I use rings too, for intermediate step at shoulder height, then going to lower it. I was trying to use a table before, but the edge was cutting into my palms. It's not really grip exercise (there are few in CC2), so it doesn't matter.

Given that my weight is not changing at all since months (and I really don't want to stuff myself too much) not very big size change, but definitely muscles are more defined. Strength - hard to measure, but I'm progressing consistently, adding about 10% reps each week, so I guess yes :)

Gordon wrote: »
    I've asked the Mods to review, so from now on no filesharing, thanks.

PM received and replied to. Thanks Gordon.

Just my own opinion on it - but I've definitely noticed a difference in strength. Just as one example - when I started, I could do maybe 3 pull ups (at a stretch) now I do three sets of 10 no bother.
    yeah, it's great for increasing your flexibility/ROM, unfortunately some days I'm not too happy being upside down...

Yep. I had serious difficulty doing lunges (due to an accident years ago where it's hard to bend my knees) but now, I do lunges as part of my sledgehammer training with no bother.
    but definitely muscles are more defined <snip> so I guess yes :)

Likewise - I didn't really notice it myself, but the missus passed a comment a couple of weeks ago about how much more defined and bigger my shoulders are, so I guess something is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beanobee

I love body weight exercises. As a Personal Trainer I encourage all my clients to give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I use rings too, for intermediate step at shoulder height, then going to lower it. I was trying to use a table before, but the edge was cutting into my palms. It's not really grip exercise (there are few in CC2), so it doesn't matter.

I used a smith machine set at hip level , as in I climbed uder it and did the pull ups.

I like it a lot - I mix it with 5/3/1 (as in I use CC as the assistence exercises )and I feel stronger and I can now do things I couldn't before.

I find bridges for reps hard though , crow stands were pretty hard too - not in the doing of them but attaining progression of a 1 min hold.

I find bridges for reps hard though , crow stands were pretty hard too - not in the doing of them but attaining progression of a 1 min hold.

I found the crow stand hard too, but from the balancing aspect, not the strength/ability aspect. I got it in the end though. I find the "half bridge" on Step 3 a bit hard even though it's only 8 reps to start off, but I'm getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

God I hate Knee Tucks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Knee tucks are way harder than the flat knee raises. But its all progress.
    Still fighting my way through Horizontal raises, nearly as low as i can get but doing the 3 sets of 30 is murder.... That last one is such a struggle.
    And don't get me started on the crow stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did my last sets of Step 1 tonight. At this a month and have been at the progression levels for a bit so gonna head onto Step 2!

Hope it doesn't suck :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I should give this a go really, got it ages ago and then never gave it a run.

I found reading it a bit confusing, I have a fair bit of strength as it is so Im wondering do you need to start right from the beginning if thats the case?

Has anyone any sample work outs from it?

Gintonious wrote: »
    I should give this a go really, got it ages ago and then never gave it a run.

I found reading it a bit confusing, I have a fair bit of strength as it is so Im wondering do you need to start right from the beginning if thats the case?

I felt similar and started step 1 at the progression level, but have done it by the book since! On Step 3 now, 2nd stage. Except for the bridges I'm finding it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I would be very grateful for a link,if anyone can help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Might just start from the start so, can only help with my weights program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

I do the Convict Conditioning twice or three times a week (depending on time) as well as boxing on a Wednesday night, kick-boxing on a Friday night, one 8km run during the week, one 16km cycle during the week and 2 hours weights on a Monday. I started it all in January and I've lost my belly (it wasn't bad anyway) and toned up a good bit, and getting pretty fit too. There's a load you can do mate. How about doing something like that?

Hey

Is there any chance of the pdf by pm please?
    Would love to get into this. Need to do something sustainable - hate gyms, love the idea of body weight training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

google it man its very much available!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Rossin wrote: »
    google it man its very much available!

Thanks buddy - found it - didnt look hard enough last night. Looks great. There's a few training logs on the forum that should help. Any other advice?

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks buddy - found it - didnt look hard enough last night. Looks great. There's a few training logs on the forum that should help. Any other advice?

Stick with it! I'm on the Progression level on stage 3 about to hit stage 4. It's getting harder now, but so worth it.

Was supposed to post this last night but accidentally reported the above post instead ...

Going on holiday for 3 1/2 weeks on friday. I'll prob have gym on some locations, but I can't count on much
    In a Hotel gym.

So I'll be doing Convict Conditioning while im away. I'll have to look at the suggested program's again but I'll prob split it into two workouts of 3 exercises. And do each twice a week.

Was supposed to post this last night but accidentally reported the above post instead ...

Did ya now?? :P

LOL

Yeah thought I was posting reply. I was on my phone and the report button is on the opposite side, where the quote button usually is.
    Came back looking for my reply and it wasn't here. Checked the reported posts and there it was.
    Whoops.

I've decided to split it as;
    Work-out A
    Pull-ups
    Push-ups
    Bridging

Workout B
    Handstand Press-up
    Squats
    Leg Raises

Yeah thought I was posting reply. I was on my phone and the report button is on the opposite side, where the quote button usually is.
    Came back looking for my reply and it wasn't here. Checked the reported posts and there it was.
    Whoops.

I've decided to split it as;
    Work-out A
    Pull-ups
    Push-ups
    Bridging

Workout B
    Handstand Press-up
    Squats
    Leg Raises

Nice one. How are ya getting on with the bridging?

Haven't actually started yet. Heading off for over 3 weeks. So want to use it as an easy program on the road. Starting at the weekend.

I do bridging already as part of wresting and BJJ. But for time, not reps.

I do bridging already as part of wresting and BJJ. But for time, not reps.

Ah right, nice one. So you'll have the technique right and the ability already there. I have to say, I found it difficult at first, but am up to three sets of 15 now. The only problem I'm having is with the handstand. Can't seem to get up without help, and when I do, can't do it for too long. Any tips?

• Advertisement

As in holding the handstand against the wall for time?

When you are kicking up, stagger your legs and kick them up separately. This helps keep your base stable a little longer to steady yourself. The key part is figuring out how much force to kick with, too little and you fall back down. too much and you bounce off the wall. The goal is to lightly land on the wall.

I've done them before as part of a HSPU progression on beast skills, I think I was doing 60 seconds. So hoping to work to 2 minutes quick enough. The 20 half HSPUs seams like a massive jump though.

Advertisement