Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convict Conditioning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I've just started reading this today, but am pretty confident I'll be giving the program a shot (I've started looking around for a pull-ups location!).

But as someone with no real knowledge of exercise/fitness, I'm wondering what some of the experts here on boards make of Wade's writing? It struck me that he makes a lot of claims about how modern exercise and fitness training do more harm than good. Just as one example, re: bench pressing, he says it

When talking about modern sportsmen/women, he says

Basically I'm just wondering what you all think of these claims? So far in the book, I haven't seen the author quote any external references to back up his assertions. Just wondering if this type of writing undermines the message he's trying to get out? I understand that he's got a product to sell. Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction! But essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of guys/gals in the know about these things... In other words, what do you think of a) the program itself and b) the book as a whole?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

The program is solid, the rest of it is just marketing fluff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've just started reading this today, but am pretty confident I'll be giving the program a shot (I've started looking around for a pull-ups location!).

But as someone with no real knowledge of exercise/fitness, I'm wondering what some of the experts here on boards make of Wade's writing? It struck me that he makes a lot of claims about how modern exercise and fitness training do more harm than good. Just as one example, re: bench pressing, he says it

When talking about modern sportsmen/women, he says

Basically I'm just wondering what you all think of these claims? So far in the book, I haven't seen the author quote any external references to back up his assertions. Just wondering if this type of writing undermines the message he's trying to get out? I understand that he's got a product to sell. Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction! But essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of guys/gals in the know about these things... In other words, what do you think of a) the program itself and b) the book as a whole?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

I'm gonna call him a d*ckhead based solely off the crap he's saying to sell his book.

I've never even read it, but these things are so faddy. Over the years it's been Smolov, Sheiko, 5/3/1, Westside for Skinny B*stards, Built like a bad*ss and now it's Convict Conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hell, I understand that the author himself may be a work of fiction!
    Some of the workout claims are fiction too, so he has people chasing impossible goals. I posted before...

-the writer also claims to have done a dozen freestanding one arm handstand pushups. A gymnastics coach for the US team said he has never witnessed or heard of any person capable of a single one, even with support, let alone 12 freestanding. The same coach knows a guy that did 163 free standing full ROM HSPU on parrallel bars. The guy who runs beastskills is in the photos in the book and shows him apparently doing them(with support), but I think he admitted he could not do them.

The problem with this is they list doing 1 as a "beginner standard" so people might be training hard to try and acheive something that nobody might have ever done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

There seems to be a big problem in the fitness world. As a newbie (besides doing running and some sports when i was younger (many moons ago :() to the fitness world it gets to the stage where you don't know who or what to believe. All these book sellers and fitness program sellers are just trying to sell a product at the end of the day - some sellers are conscientious I'm sure whereas others may not be - hard to tell who's who though. Also since a lot of this stuff is written with the US Market in mind you get the obligatory repeating of annoying marketing type/brainwashing stuff.

I've read numerous stuff over the past couple of weeks to do with both nutrition and exercise, some of it very contradictory.

so at this stage I'm just settling for the advice which seems to suit me best, whether it does or not is an entirely different matter, but marketing blurb aside Convict conditioning seems like a very good and simple program to condition your body - there might be better - but it's the only one I've read so far. Also a big plus is you can do calisthenics practically anywhere - so they are handy routines to know.

Really from my point of view anyway I think the most important thing is to just start getting up of your ar$e and do something and eat less junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

luckylucky wrote: »
    Really from my point of view anyway I think the most important thing is to just start getting up of your ar$e and do something and eat less junk.

Excuse my split infinitives, but abso-friggin'-lutely!!!! :D

• Advertisement

colon wrote: »
    Mr. Please Kill Me. Any chance of a link there please for another decrepit near 40 year old that needs a bit of direction.

No problem, I'll PM you now chief. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    -the writer also claims to have done a dozen freestanding one arm handstand pushups. A gymnastics coach for the US team said he has never witnessed or heard of any person capable of a single one, even with support, let alone 12 freestanding. The same coach knows a guy that did 163 free standing full ROM HSPU on parrallel bars. The guy who runs beastskills is in the photos in the book and shows him apparently doing them(with support), but I think he admitted he could not do them.
    I think it was you that posted this before. Prob the closest you'll get to a one handed HSPU

FAAK! Strength and balance. I have neither! I'm f**ked so! PMSL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Please Kill Me, could I trouble you for that link please? :)

CountryJoe wrote: »
    Please Kill Me, could I trouble you for that link please? :)

PM on the way chief. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Much appreciated man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

Hello Please Kill Me,

could you please send me that link as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

henryd65 wrote: »
    Hello Please Kill Me,

+ 1 much appreciated.

Cheers

henryd65 wrote: »
    Hello Please Kill Me,

Bartyman wrote: »
    + 1 much appreciated.

Cheers

Gone out to ye now lads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ConorBuckley99

Just wondering if anyone here has continued with the program for a decent period of time? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after using it for a while.

Just wondering if anyone here has continued with the program for a decent period of time? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after using it for a while.

I'm only at it a couple of months. I'm about to go onto the progression level on stage 2 and I reckon onto stage 3 next month. When I started, I couldn't do one pull-up. I can do three sets of ten now, no bother. I also find it good for strengthening your back (I have a sh!tty back from an accident years ago). So in a nutshell, I find it good. Ask me again in a couple of months when I should be on stage 4. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Gone out to ye now lads. :)

Hey Please Kill Me, can you send me on that link too? I've been looking for the download for ages where i don't have to put credit card details into an unknown site.

Much appreciated.

Hey Please Kill Me, can you send me on that link too? I've been looking for the download for ages where i don't have to put credit card details into an unknown site.

Much appreciated.

No worries man, I'll send it onto ya now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Please Kill Me,
    any chance I can annoy you for a link too....pretty please?:)

gymfreak wrote: »
    Please Kill Me,
    any chance I can annoy you for a link too....pretty please?:)

Oh go on then. I'll send it now man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

As chance of a link as well, sounds awesome

Funk It wrote: »
    As chance of a link as well, sounds awesome

No worries, I'll send it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bondie

Can you send me that link too, much appreciated!

Bondie wrote: »
    Can you send me that link too, much appreciated!

On the way chief....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gra246

Could you kindly send me the link also .... sending lots of appreciation in advance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Gra246 wrote: »
    Could you kindly send me the link also .... sending lots of appreciation in advance. :D

+1 I'd really appreciate a copy as well, thanks!

Gra246 wrote: »
    +1 I'd really appreciate a copy as well, thanks!

No worries lads, on the way now. :D

I moved onto the Progression Level of Step 2 this week, I reckon onto Step 3 in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

I moved onto the Progression Level of Step 2 this week, I reckon onto Step 3 in the next week or two.
    Nice! :)

I'm moving slowly through step 2 on pushups & leg lifts, and 1.5 on pull-ups (ring pulls, using this http://i.imgur.com/reSU0.jpg), usually increasing reps by 10% every week, with every 4th week off for recovery, beside that I'm back to running since April. Sticking to step 1 on bridges for a while, but at progression level of step 6 on squats :D

Also doing few exercises from CC2:
    • fingertip push-ups - just keep it easy at 3*10 on the wall once a week
    • grip work - got to 4*60 sec of bar hang
    • calf rises - step 1, 4*80 reps, adding 10 every week
    You can see my log on http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/meijin/

PS can we get the thread cleaned of the link requests, and can people just PM "Please Kill Me" please? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Nice piece of kit. Where did you pick that up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

Nice piece of kit. Where did you pick that up ?
    pull-up bar from elverys, rings from d8fitness

Advertisement