Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Well done! Glad my words helped even somewhat, I've decided to keep going at it and did the the 5 & 8&5 one last night, it was hard, didn't feel I had much energy and felt I was literally dragging myself around, but I did it and its on to the next! Again, not looking forward to it as its another big one.... 25mins... eeek! I have one or even two rest days to adjust to the thought of that one! If we have done 20mins we can do 5 extra mins, in theory! ;) Looking forward to being able to run the 5k and now the end is in sight, exciting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 apfsharriers

How did you get on?:)
    Is anyone doing the APFS Harriers 5k fun run out near Dublin airport on August 26th? I'd like to try it but am only just at the 5k mark now and hope I won't be left in the dust...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Not the greatest runner, joined a mountaineeing club, decided hiking is my calling, first caurranttuohill then Kilimanjaro. Will hike 10-20k every other weekend...

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

How did you get on?:)

Didn't do it! For shame! My sister was meant to be doing it with me but we got her flight details wrong. So I still haven't done an 'official' 5k. That reminds me, must look for one coming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Helloooo!

Did W4D3 today! :D The 5 min runs were torture but I think I may have been a bit dehydrated! It was really hot out too so hopefully after drinking loads of water the next few days i'll be able for W5D1 :o

I first did C25K back in 2010, got up to about 7 or 8K afterwards but did too much too soon one day and injured my ankle. So starting all over again :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Well week 5 done, still can't believe that on W5D3 I ran for 20 mins without stopping, started slow and got slower ;). I ran just short of what I ran on W5D1, so not to bad, very happy with that :D:D, but is all flat where I run just one samll rise.
    I want to thank Cork_girl, for her advice on week 3 and how to cope with each weeks challange helped me a lot, work on each day as it comes. Thanks to kazzdee and ArtOfEscape for paving the way and showing that it can be done and I am not the only person running this program on the same week as me, (I am a few days behind the 2 of you).
    I want to thank rainbow kirby for starting the thread.
    As for the person who wrote the program, thank you very very much, its made me fitter even at week 5 than I have probably been sine I was in my early teens, I have lost arount 3 to 4 kg and my BMI is below 25 for the first time in years.
    I can now buy my Connacht rugby top and not have a big beer belly in it :D

W5D1 done :D 5 min runs a bit better today :)
    Well week 5 done, still can't believe that on W5D3 I ran for 20 mins without stopping, started slow and got slower ;). I ran just short of what I ran on W5D1, so not to bad, very happy with that :D:D, but is all flat where I run just one samll rise.

Well done! I know how nevewracking that 20min run can be, its a great achievement!
    (Have mine coming up this week, not worrying about it as much this time around! Or at least trying not to!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just did W1D5 this morning :D - I think it's time I moved on to Week 2! Looking at it this morning, I don't think I'll die so I should be ok, fingers crossed. I'll be wrecked though.

Did anyone else find when starting out, that it was quite hard on your ankles of all things? Mine feel like they are going to go from under me at any time once I start running. I'm not wearing proper running shoes so maybe if I get those this week it should help. Tried to do a few stretches before I left the house this morning which also helped.

miamee wrote: »
    I just did W1D5 this morning :D - I think it's time I moved on to Week 2! Looking at it this morning, I don't think I'll die so I should be ok, fingers crossed. I'll be wrecked though.

Did anyone else find when starting out, that it was quite hard on your ankles of all things? Mine feel like they are going to go from under me at any time once I start running. I'm not wearing proper running shoes so maybe if I get those this week it should help. Tried to do a few stretches before I left the house this morning which also helped.

Best of luck on week 2 :):)
    Try to do the stretches after you've walked the 5 mins and just before the run, as if you stretch cold muscles (ie before you leave the house) you could damage them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Best of luck on week 2 :):)
    Try to do the stretches after you've walked the 5 mins and just before the run, as if you stretch cold muscles (ie before you leave the house) you could damage them
    Thanks, that probably makes more sense! Will try that next time :)

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »

Hi miamee, Yes I found it quite hard on my right knee and ankles the first few weeks, and my knees were sore for the first few weeks, but the pain went so that is good. Just remember you are asking you body to do thing that it has not done for a while so there is going to be some protest.
    You should look at a good pair of runners, I got mine on holiday at the outlet store in Killarney, cost €50, but worth it for me, last years fashion style, but i don't give a hoot.

Just in case this is link to some streching, if you did not see it before
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
    I do 1 to 4 and 7, I also do a few more streches for my back as i have a "old war wound" there.
    I do my streches before I leave the house as there is nowhere to do them on the road that I run on, only stone walls and fields full of cows.
    I forgot to add that I strech for at least 5 minutes before i start my walk, I also strech for 5 minutes at the end of the walk when i get back to my house, I do dry my hands before I stech as i don't want to leave my paw prints all over the walls :)

BTW well done for completing week 1 :), looking back for me it was one of the hardest weeks I did, and I am starting W6D1 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ran my first ever race yesterday - the Great Pink Run 5k along the docklands.

I was nervous because I am not a "proper" runner by any means and am still on Week 6 of the C25K - I was also terrified about being the fat girl among all the fit ones.

But it was great, a mix of runners and walkers and joggers. I did the 5k in 45 mins, I did a combo of jogging and walking when it got too much, I reckon I jogged about 3.5k in total - a record for me.

I have now been bitten by the bug and have just signed up for my second 5k next month and am now looking at making running a regular part of my routine and not just this thing I do when I feel a bit bored.

I would recommend any of the C25kers out there to enter one, its great motivation to keep training and its a brilliant feeling when you cross that finish line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ran my first ever race yesterday - the Great Pink Run 5k along the docklands.

well done! I ran that race last year as my 1st 5km after I completed the C25K programme.

I ran the 10km this year, was delighted with myself - ran it in 1:07:23! Happy with myself as I had no run further than 8km previous to this!

I was jumping ahead of myself on my last post thinking I was on to the 25min run stage.. Am on the 2x10 which I did this evening - had a rest over the weekend as I had strained a muscle behind my knee. The next run is probably the 25.. eep. Scary, still, gotta keep plugging away. Nearly there! :)

Ran W6D1 yesterday, it was a bit cold and I was going to run with an extra tshirt on, glad I didn't as I got very hot and swetty during the run. I found the 8 minutes run the hardest thing that I have done so far :(, time just ticked by so slowley, it was unreal. Even though I found W5D2 fine and no issues running it. I think I ran to hard in the first 5 munites and I was tired for the 8 minuite run, so found it quite a hard day over all. Well onward and upwards

Completed W6D2 yesterday, it was my third attempt at it. I went out last night and I think the cold temperatures helped. Its so much easier to run in the cold than in the heat :D I am going to tackle the 25min run on Saturday when I have a bit more time on my hands.

W5D2 yesterday done and dusted, thought it was going to be 5min, 8min & 5 min but when he said stop for day 1 only I was like eeemmm so what am I doing...8 mins eeek! But it was grand in the end! Was up in Dundalk for an interview so I was jogging on unfamiliar roads but it was grand and flat so all good :)

W5D3's 20 min run tomorrow :eek: :D Bring it on!! :D

Ran W6D2 last night and what a disaster :mad:,
    I ran the first 10 minutes run fine very happy with that, but I had a strong wind at my back for most of the run. I had up to this stage a slight twing in my lower left ankel.
    I then ran the second 10 minutes, but ran very slowley and I was running on very uneven ground, I did not even complete 2 laps of sathill park :mad::mad:, my ankel at this stage was getting more sore. (When I did the 8 minutes run the week before (W5D2) I completed over 2 laps in the 8 minuites.)
    Woke up this morning and found I was hobbling around like long John Silver, ankle is in agony, I will have to rest it for a few days and see how it goes and repete the week when my ankel has healed.

I ran the first 10 minutes run fine very happy with that, but I had a strong wind at my back for most of the run. I had up to this stage a slight twing in my lower left ankel.
    I then ran the second 10 minutes, but ran very slowley and I was running on very uneven ground, I did not even complete 2 laps of sathill park :mad::mad:, my ankel at this stage was getting more sore. (When I did the 8 minutes run the week before (W5D2) I completed over 2 laps in the 8 minuites.)
    Woke up this morning and found I was hobbling around like long John Silver, ankle is in agony, I will have to rest it for a few days and see how it goes and repete the week when my ankel has healed.

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon. I pulled something after the 5&8&5 one and wasn't right for at least a few days. Rest is all you can do. Sucks! Maddening when you're so motivated. I have to tackle the 25 tonight... Dreading it! Gonna try in the park when it's brighter though as its smoother going even though I'm going round in circles! it's safer than where I would run later which is dark and pothole-y ;)

Poor thing. I agree with kazzdee, all you can do is rest it unfortunately. Hurt my ankle doing 5k to 10k programme 2 years ago (some of the boardsies will remember me arriving to a meetup in Dublin with a massively swollen ankle! :o) I just had to rest it and take it slow with getting back to jogging. Hope everything goes ok for you.

• Advertisement

W5D3's 20 min run tomorrow :eek: :D Bring it on!! :D

Done :D:D:D:D:p

Done :D:D:D:D:p

Well done!!

I was meant to be running today but sitting here feeling like crap. Last night for the first time in months I had a pizza - home made - and I just can't digest it. I can't believe how run down I feel, I used to live on this stuff :eek: Never again.

Eating lots of fruit and hope to go out later.

Just a quick question: does anyone here use whey protein? It was suggested to me that I should try it as I'm vegetarian so my protein intake is probably quite low. Its quite pricey though, would it be worth my while taking it?

Cant believe it, did the 25mins, and didn't die! Hooray. Next is 30mins I think. Really didn't think I would manage it, especially at 5mins in, I thought, "oh no, I'm not going to manage this"..thought I would have to slow right down, but I got over that and got into a rhythm (of sorts!) :) and kept going and by the last ten mins I had cracked it. Happy. Will be happier again if Mayo win...

kazzdee wrote: »
    Cant believe it, did the 25mins, and didn't die! Hooray. Next is 30mins I think. Really didn't think I would manage it, especially at 5mins in, I thought, "oh no, I'm not going to manage this"..thought I would have to slow right down, but I got over that and got into a rhythm (of sorts!) :) and kept going and by the last ten mins I had cracked it. Happy. Will be happier again if Mayo win...

Well done :) I did mine last night, I didn't think I would get through it so was chuffed to bits with myself. My legs were in bits though :D Can't believe I'm starting on Week 7 tomorrow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Congratulations kazzdee and eviltwin! It's next up for me but I had a bit of an issue with calf pain my last time out so I might repeat that session ... or maybe I'll just go for it! ;) Will keep ye posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Well done BN, I remember that injury. There's great running going on here.

Next Monday (not tomorrow as I cycled over 100km on Saturday) I am starting and going to complete Couch to 5k. I can't run but it's now my aim.

Pembily wrote: »
    Well done BN, I remember that injury. There's great running going on here.
    :o:D Thanks Pem!
    Pembily wrote: »
    Next Monday (not tomorrow as I cycled over 100km on Saturday) I am starting and going to complete Couch to 5k. I can't run but it's now my aim.

You're a glutton for punishment you are! :p:D Best of luck with it!

Well done kazzdee and eviltwin :D, it must feel good to have that 25 min run over, you are almost there so that must feel good.

• Advertisement

Well done kazzdee and eviltwin :D, it must feel good to have that 25 min run over, you are almost there so that must feel good.

Its brilliant to feel actual progress alright. So close to running being "just something I do" (said matter of fact-ly) ;)
    I'm nearly there and feeling good (for now). Hope pain doesn't set in cause I want to keep up the momentum while the enthusiasm is high! :)
    Not at 5k stage yet but hope to be able for one before Xmas... :)

Advertisement