Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

W6D1 done this morning. I enjoyed the 5 min runs (for once!) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Repeated W6D2 today and was very glad I did - it went much better than last time, I think I just might manage to get through the 25min run now!

Two things were different today - it was my first time running in the rain, which was amazing (it's like that cool shower I love after my run, but all the time! :rolleyes:) and I also started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred today. It's so tough! I did the workout, took a ten minute break and then headed out to do my run. I thought it would kill me but the endorphins pushed me out the door. Not sure if it's sustainable given the daily time commitment, or if it's sensible to do the workout and run in that order, but I felt amazing. Onward and upward! Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Housemate suggested I go running with him on Friday seeing as he does it most evenings and I thought I'd die given that I was only on W4D1, couldn't believe it when I did the 5K without stopping once! Have since done it twice and am so proud of myself! Don't know if I should have stepped it up so much but don't feel bad or anything after, so happy :D Speaking of, I'm off out now :D

W6D3 complete. :eek: This feels fantastic. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Congratulations ArtOfEscape :D, it must feel a good sense of achievement completing the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Repeated W6D2 today and was very glad I did - it went much better than last time, I think I just might manage to get through the 25min run now!

Two things were different today - it was my first time running in the rain, which was amazing (it's like that cool shower I love after my run, but all the time! :rolleyes:) and I also started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred today. It's so tough! I did the workout, took a ten minute break and then headed out to do my run. I thought it would kill me but the endorphins pushed me out the door. Not sure if it's sustainable given the daily time commitment, or if it's sensible to do the workout and run in that order, but I felt amazing. Onward and upward! Good luck everyone!

Hows the "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred" going? Looking for a decent routine to get into... any good? :) Oh and on the topic of the couch to 5k thing... have nearly finished week 7, about to finish the last of my 25min runs this evening. Ran in the rain the last time (was inspired by your earlier post!:) Hardcore! (ish!:) Anyway must head out now.

kazzdee wrote: »
    Hows the "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred" going? Looking for a decent routine to get into... any good? :) Oh and on the topic of the couch to 5k thing... have nearly finished week 7, about to finish the last of my 25min runs this evening. Ran in the rain the last time (was inspired by your earlier post!:) Hardcore! (ish!:) Anyway must head out now.

Well done! :D I can't wait to get onto week 7. We're almost there!

The 30DS gets a huge thumbs up from me. I've only done three days so far and it hurt like hell (!) but I'm starting to get over that now - so glad I worked through it instead of getting put off by the soreness. I've never used a workout DVD before but she explains it all really well and demonstrates easier versions of some of the moves for beginners. I also find that the motivational things she says are actually very motivating, which is rare :rolleyes: but it's very encouraging, and some of the before and after pics online are really incredible! It's tough going and I still can't do a decent push up, but I love it and would definitely recommend giving it a shot! :)

W6D2 on Wednesday-was reeeeally windy!

Did W6D3 this morning :) The first 5 mins of the run were hard, then the middle bit was great, flying along (well flying for me, I'm still going really slow!). The last minute was torture though! :p

Roll on Week 7 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thought I'd drop in and say hello - another C25ker, it's taken me since July to get to W6D2 (had to have a bit of a restart after I was ill in August), but today I did it! Even if I thought I was going to die for the last minute :o

Well my ankel is much better now after a week of rest, so fingers crossed on Saturday I will run W6D1 again, as I feel I need to repete the whole week.

• Advertisement

W6D3 done! It's so satisfying finishing a week, especially after the last day seemed so tough.

W7D1 done in the rain this morning! :rolleyes::D Was like a drowned rat when I arrived home! :P

W7D1 done in the rain this morning! :rolleyes::D Was like a drowned rat when I arrived home! :P

That's what I should be doing! No motivation this morning though... spent yesterday doing a movie marathon with my friends and ate far too much junk food! Now I just don't want to move! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

That's what I should be doing! No motivation this morning though... spent yesterday doing a movie marathon with my friends and ate far too much junk food! Now I just don't want to move! ;)

Yep, did that last night myself, plus the weekend came in and I felt lazy, still have to do the last of my 25min runs! Did that 30day shred on Friday btw, found it good, but actually much harder than the running, so much so, shoulders and leg muscles ached, another excuse to take it easy for the weekend... ;)
    :) Determined to get out today and finish week 7 though.. then start that workout again now I know what I'm in for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Anyone going to do the Runher 5km or 10km in Belfast next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

18 miles yesterday...3 hrs....looking forward to marathon training being over!

Well my ankel is much better now after a week of rest, so fingers crossed on Saturday I will run W6D1 again, as I feel I need to repete the whole week.

Ran at the weekend and my ankel held up fine, and enjoyed the run :), a few aching muscles protesting after after a week off :(, but onwards and upwards.
    I can't believe that I am looking forward to my run each day, and miss it when I can't. Amazing the turn around in only a few short weeks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

So I completed Tough Mudder by blind luck or by being stubborn. Considering I did everything I shouldn't have on the day..

621-940x667.jpg

GetBizFormFile.aspx?filename=1e2ef54c-60ef-41b7-bbd1-731e36fe62e7.jpg&maxsidewidth=500

I did learn some valuable lessons.

1. Wet shorts chafe allot!!! it will be horribly unplesant if you don't wear bicycle shorts underneath or lube up or both.

So many inappropriate jokes came flooding back when I had a bag of peas between my legs.

Now it has healed up nicely but bloody hell does it itch and If I scratch that itch it becomes unbearable and could lead to me getting a bad name....

I still cant sleep without a pillow between my legs a week later....:o

2. Get there early
    Don't stay up late the night before and rush at the morning. It will feck your day and it was this bad start that led to more mistakes....

3. Bring more water.
    I had to go easy until I hit the first water station as I didn't drink enough water on the way was hydrated but not as much as I should have been. (poor planning)

The first aid tent was full of people who made the same mistake but didn't take it easy till they could get water.

3. A ham sandwich is not enough

Yep i ran it with a ham sandwich on-board.... Works great if your bailing hay but not if your running 20k +

5. Bring BabyWipes

The shower was out of water when i finished and I gave up waiting and ended up collecting pizza limping and covered in mud.

Quickest iv ever been served....:D

End Result:

After all that I'm broken. Bruised my foot badly and was afraid I had a stress fracture. Thankfully its clearing up slowly.

Comes down to too much gym time late and not enough running. But it does mean I'm out of action until foot is all better. :(

From here:
    Plan for next event and learn my lessons.

I also need to get back on my eating habits, I started eating everything in site this week.

Ugh! I did my 30DS session this morning, headed out to do W7D2 and had to turn back after a few minutes because of pain in my calves. :mad: I've had pain before but it cleared up in my knees and the sides of my calves, but today it was too much. I've never left the house to do a run and had to quit before the end. So discouraged. :(

Any advice for calf pain, folks?

Ugh! I did my 30DS session this morning, headed out to do W7D2 and had to turn back after a few minutes because of pain in my calves. :mad: I've had pain before but it cleared up in my knees and the sides of my calves, but today it was too much. I've never left the house to do a run and had to quit before the end. So discouraged. :(

Hi ArtOfEscape
    Just to say that I am no expert on in this, just my own expericence
    I regulary use the NHS C25K site
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
    and they have a page on running injuries
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-injuries.aspx
    I checked out the link above when i injured my ankel, I also got good advice from people on the TLL
    The advice from the website says to rest and put ice on the muscle, please check out the website

I read somewhere on the internet, an artical by the person who wrote the C25K program, (but i can find the link, when I find it again I will post it).
    He was saying that your cardio get fitter faster than your muscles and your bones which take longer to get fitter.

I hpoe this helps

• Advertisement

W7D1 complete, nearing the end now, looking forward to the days when I've enough endurance to go a bit faster - I was lapped by a man in a mobility scooter today!

Sorry to hear about the injury ArtofEscape - maybe plan to do the runs before 30DS? I had some problems with my knees when I started out, and went to a physio who sorted me out, it was the best €60 I've ever spent, no problems since, touch wood.

What was involved in the 30DS session? Why don't you do the 30DS sessions on the days when you're not running? It seems like a lot of exercise doing both together.

W7D2 done and dusted....starting to look up 5K races for end of October/start November :D:D (I'm now officially hooked on jogging again :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Hello everyone :D

It's been a while I know, bold me! New job and new routine so it's been hard geting out regularly.

However, have been getting out here and there. Last time I posted I had broken the 5km mark, about 2 months ago!

Well I went out this evning and did 7km in 47 minutes! Delighted!

Have my first 5k race coming up Sunday, awful excited :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck and enjoy your first 5k :)

Should be getting back on the road myself this week, been out for 2 weeks (since the half-marathon I did on Sep 16) to try and let a back injury rest and heal up a bit. Hoping it goes well...

Hi ArtOfEscape
    Just to say that I am no expert on in this, just my own expericence
    I regulary use the NHS C25K site
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
    and they have a page on running injuries
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-injuries.aspx
    I checked out the link above when i injured my ankel, I also got good advice from people on the TLL
    The advice from the website says to rest and put ice on the muscle, please check out the website

I read somewhere on the internet, an artical by the person who wrote the C25K program, (but i can find the link, when I find it again I will post it).
    He was saying that your cardio get fitter faster than your muscles and your bones which take longer to get fitter.

I hpoe this helps

Thanks for that link, that's a great resource! I used to ice my calves after each run but stopped when I wasn't having issues anymore, so I do think I might need to return to that. As you say, muscles take a while to build up. Thank you! :)
    What was involved in the 30DS session? Why don't you do the 30DS sessions on the days when you're not running? It seems like a lot of exercise doing both together.

The 30DS is circuit training, if I'm understanding that term correctly, a 20-minute mixture of strength, cardio and abs training. My runs are only 30-35 minutes each three times a week, and the 30DS is 20 minutes seven days a week, so even on days when I do both it's just an hour of exercise, which I think should be manageable for me. The 30DS is supposed to be best done on consecutive days so I'm trying to stick to that as much as possible. Maybe I'm just being impatient! ;)

The 30DS is circuit training, if I'm understanding that term correctly, a 20-minute mixture of strength, cardio and abs training. My runs are only 30-35 minutes each three times a week, and the 30DS is 20 minutes seven days a week, so even on days when I do both it's just an hour of exercise, which I think should be manageable for me. The 30DS is supposed to be best done on consecutive days so I'm trying to stick to that as much as possible. Maybe I'm just being impatient! ;)

Fair enough, I'm not able for anything else on the days I'm jogging! :o:P

W7D3 done this morning. Beautiful sunshine but brrrr it was cold! :D:p

W7D2 complete, and a little faster than usual (which is really not saying much, I think most people walk faster than I job, but still a victory for me :))

• Advertisement

W6D2 finished for a second time last night :D, all going well W6D3 at the weekend

Advertisement