Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

So, started C210K (Mark II) on Sunday and did my second evening this evening, feeling fitter already! Tell me it gets a little easier?

It does! But some days it feels worse.... BUT it's like a gradual awakening... One day you struggle to run for 3 mins without stopping, but a few weeks later you run 20mins and can't believe it. (at least that's how it was for me!). Good luck and keep at it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

kelle wrote: »
    Well done Flossie, gosh - I wish I could run that distance!
    I did a 10k last Sunday, was 1hr 4mins - I still can't get under the hour! I seem to hit a plateau between 6-8km mark, I walk parts of it but try to do no more than 20 steps before continuing running. Then at 8km I reach a high - if only I was like that throughout the race!

Hey Kelle, I'm similar to you in that I can't run the 10k without a few sneaky walks, also have a pb of 64mins and am really keen to get under the hour...mind you I don't get that high at 8k?! Are you doing bridge to 10k or just doing your own thing ? I think I need to start following a 10k program to see if that will give me the kick I need......

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Great to read all these inspirational posts, Im only at the very beginning of my fitness kick. On week 2 of C25K heading into week 3, and raring to get out for my next run. Hope the weather doesnt halt my plans!
    I felt like death for the first week due to, well, being unfit! ;) This week has been great and am already feeling like I have more energy. So far so good. Hope to do a 5k at the end of this and move on to the 10, but focusing on the 5 for the moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Hi Folks, just satred the C25K plan this week. I am finding fine so far. I did W1D2 yesterday, got to run on the Prom in Sathill :D, it was very nice will a good cool brreze. Mind you I almost gave up when the vioce from my headphones said "your are half way there", I was totally sharttered:mad:, but kept on going.
    I want to thanks all the pervious board members what have hlped with insructions on how to setup a play list and how to add the voice promts. Thank you very much:D
    I hope to do W1D3 on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I know there's probably no hard and fast rule to follow for this but I'm hoping to get some guidance nonetheless!

I'm planning to do W4D2 this evening and am a bit terrified - weeks 1 and 2 felt easy but week 3 was a lot tougher and W4D1 felt like I had hit my limit! I suppose I expected it to stay easy but I know it's meant to push me - it's a workout for goodness sake! :p How do I know when I should repeat a week or a session? Is the fact that I'm able to get through the session a sign that I'm fit for it? How hard is too hard to push myself? :confused: Can you tell I'm new to this regular exercise business? ;)

Thanks for any advice you can send my way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If you are really struggling Art of Escape, then maybe repeat last week instead of going on to W4D2. Everyone progresses at a different pace so don't feel you 'have' to move on if you aren't ready. Yes it should be tough and challenge you but if you are only starting off then going too far past your limits too soon can have nasty consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

On holidays, made use of kids club to go to the gym, done 4k each day in tread mill or cross trainer and have rowed 3k each day.... I need a gym in my house.....

Completed W1D3 last night in the rain:(!, felt good, rain kept me cool till the warm down walk :mad:, then it got cold. My own fault should have run eariler in the evening, stated to watch TV gerrr :mad:
    Hopeing to start W2D1 on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I know there's probably no hard and fast rule to follow for this but I'm hoping to get some guidance nonetheless!

I'm planning to do W4D2 this evening and am a bit terrified - weeks 1 and 2 felt easy but week 3 was a lot tougher and W4D1 felt like I had hit my limit! I suppose I expected it to stay easy but I know it's meant to push me - it's a workout for goodness sake! :p How do I know when I should repeat a week or a session? Is the fact that I'm able to get through the session a sign that I'm fit for it? How hard is too hard to push myself? :confused: Can you tell I'm new to this regular exercise business? ;)

Thanks for any advice you can send my way!

Hey, I've repeated sessions before and it's done me a world of good. I had to do 2 more attempts at week 3 last week because I caught a virus and missed out on a few days. I was finishing the running intervals but I just didn't have the confidence to move up.
    Glad i did though, I'm on week 4 now and I'm surviving a lot better than I expected :)
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

Hi ladies - thought I'd tell ye my story. I decided back in January that I wanted to run the Dublin Marathon this year. Despite the fact I was smoking 15-20 a day!! Well I quit the smokes on 1st March (nearly 6 months now), started running and did the great ireland run in april in 58 mins and the samsung night run in 62mins (rotten night & I had a hangover!)

Have an ongoing problem with shin splints though,seen a physio so theyre a bit better but not perfect- still niggling.
    Am signed up for the half marathon and plugging away at my long runs. I did 20kms last saturday (took me 2 1/2 hours though). I also play tennis 2-3 times per week.

All this and Im still 7 lbs heavier than 6 months ago!!! (and its fat - not muscle - ive checked my body fat %!!)
    Ive a new plan in place foodwise now so hopefully the belly fat will just melt away.

Keep at it anyway ladies - Ive enjoyed reading your progress. Anyone doing the half marathon in sept?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not the one in the park, but I'm doing the Great North Run in Newcastle that weekend. Training has been pure muck due to hayfever and an on-off back twinge...

I did w2d1 on Saturday, but as soon as I started to jog, I got a blinding pain down my back and found it hard to breath, I think that I pulled a mussel in my back :(, I have an old war wond for times gone bye. Lots of deep heat put on it that night, think its healed
    I will try w2d2 tonight and see I how get on

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Anyone here training for the marathon for the Dublin City marathon? First timer here:o Trying the Hal Higdon Novice 1 programme and it's going ok so far but the length of the longer runs is really starting to build now! Did a half marathon on Monday and aiming for a 15 miler this week:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Well, trainign is on a bit of a stall. I slipped on some wet grass on Sunday while runnign beside the river, and put my back out again. Had to fly abroad for work and although niggling wasn't too bad. Monday and Tuesday i was in agony from pain, not able to walk properly, numbness in arm and leg and resulted in A&E which found nothing (which i had told them before!) only lots of drugs. Visited an osteopath who is lcoated close to where i am working yesterday and he did some traction, manipulation and accupuncture, and within an hour i was out of pain. Continued to get better and i amanged to sleep with no painkillers or diazepam which was amazing. Woke this morning and managed a 5 mile walk this morning before work - amazing! Forcing myself to take a week of rest from running :( But hopefully be back into it gently from next week - osteo is encouraging me to keep active.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Same as:(

Have Osteo tomorrow morning, can't wait, the man has magic in his fingers:D Hoping not to be out for a full week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Been a while since I have been in here :o

I am going to get started again, I want to progress further than I got before, which was walking a 5k in just under an hour (good for me but sounds terrible!).

So I am going to download C25K and start tomorrow. I already asked Lucyfur in a different thread but any suggestions on which app (by which maker) is the best on Android to download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

First post in here - had seen this thread umpteen times but whatever happened on Monday, I got totally inspired so have done 2 runs this week! I am seriously unfit, can't run to save my life but finding this really good - find myself pushed just the right amount: it's tough but doable. The bf has gotten inspired too so we're running buddies which makes things much easier! Found my second run last night to be tougher going than Monday's - even though it;s the same session - but found I was much less wrecked after, didn't take very much out of me. I am not an exercise fan but this seems to suit me so far, very excited about getting fit at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I went to the man with the magic hands again this morning ;) Manipulation and some ultrasound therapy and the go ahead to start run/walk programme again :D Delighted, although a little afraid - will have to force myself to take it easy! While i'm workign over here i'm seeing a clinical pilates person for some private sessions to help strengthen the back which should be useful.

Is it ssad that i am a little excited at the prospect of starting to excercise again even though it's only been a week without it?! Talking to the BF this morning and he is going to help get me set up with a bike and throw some cycling in so we can do that together when he is home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

flossie wrote: »
    I went to the man with the magic hands again this morning ;) Manipulation and some ultrasound therapy and the go ahead to start run/walk programme again :D Delighted, although a little afraid - will have to force myself to take it easy! While i'm workign over here i'm seeing a clinical pilates person for some private sessions to help strengthen the back which should be useful.

Is it ssad that i am a little excited at the prospect of starting to excercise again even though it's only been a week without it?! Talking to the BF this morning and he is going to help get me set up with a bike and throw some cycling in so we can do that together when he is home :)

Not at all! Hard as it often is to motivate yourself get out there and do it, it's so much worse when you're prevented from going and realise how much you actually enjoy/miss it :D

flossie wrote: »

Me too!! Feeling lots better already, think I may be able to walk tomorrow:D:D

If you're sad then I am too:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 chips28

Need to get back into this too. Started it back in April, got to week 6, day 3 and then stopped...raging now!!:D Definitely going to start back into it this week.....definitely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Week 4 run 2 down, so far so good! Delighted I'm sticking with it, now up to 16 mins of running whereas a year ago I'd have struggled with one!! :-) Great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Done 7 k each day for a week, my legs are killing me, resting today kickboxing tomorrow. Think I'm getting faster, ran for a little way, got needles and pins in both hands and arms had to take it back to a fast walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Slowly getting back to where I was a year ago despite my spines best efforts at sabotage. :p:) Up to about 4 miles now at a moderate jog. I've also been doing short HIIT sprint sessions twice a week and by god do they improve your stamina, I really recommend them.

Hi, I have finished week 2 last week :D. I was looking at the schedule for week 3 and was terrified looking at what needed to be done, 3 whole minutes of running :eek:. So yesterday I bit the bullet and started W3D1, I found it OK, I was able to do it. For me it was looking at schedule and thinking that I can't possibly do it. From now on I will look at each day as it comes and not worry what is for the next day or next week.
    I also started to do a lot more stretching before I run and after I run.
    I was almost able to touch my toes, still 10 inches away, but getting ever so close :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi, I have finished week 2 last week :D. I was looking at the schedule for week 3 and was terrified looking at what needed to be done, 3 whole minutes of running :eek:. So yesterday I bit the bullet and started W3D1, I found it OK, I was able to do it. For me it was looking at schedule and thinking that I can't possibly do it. From now on I will look at each day as it comes and not worry what is for the next day or next week.
    I also started to do a lot more stretching before I run and after I run.
    I was almost able to touch my toes, still 10 inches away, but getting ever so close :rolleyes:

I was like that too - each week terrified me. But.. if you follow the programme, be confident that you are making progress and will be able for the next day, because it does work. One day at a time is the right way to do it!

Back to the osteo today:(

Feel about as fit as a 90 year old who's due a hip replacement:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I looked this up yesterday, seeing as there's no point joining the gym for the next few months (losing ma jerb.) Did anyone else look at W1D1 and think, "AHAHAHA! That's impossible for me!"

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I looked this up yesterday, seeing as there's no point joining the gym for the next few months (losing ma jerb.) Did anyone else look at W1D1 and think, "AHAHAHA! That's impossible for me!"

Yup:D

And now I can run 12k with no breaks:D Well not RIGHT now cos I has injury :(

• Advertisement

Hi Lyaiera,
    Yes I looked at the program and thought I could never do it. I have not done any exercise in years, found I was out of breath going up and down the stairs at work. I read all the post and saw that other people are/were doing the program. They posted their good days and their bad, and other board memebers gave them plenty of support and encouragement, and shared what they did when it was hard and difficult. I have started week 3 and find it amazing that I can jog for 3 minutes :D with out keeling over ;).

So my advice,
    Get your music that you like to listen to, go get the app or setup it yourself, and just go and do it.

PS
    Try to do some stretches, a bit painful at the start, but worth it

Advertisement