Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Week 7 complete, and what a beautiful day for a run! There were loads out running on the seafront today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

W8D1 done this morning :D
    Week 7 complete, and what a beautiful day for a run!

Wasn't it beautiful! My walk up the road was so misty, I was afraid if any car came that they wouldn't see my dog, but I was out early so only one or two cars passed. The sun came out when I was jogging my way back down the hills. There's always a beautiful quality to Autumn sunshine :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hell and back tomorrow, 10 k of hell, I have a 6am start, collect my race pack by 10am and I'm in the second wave at 12 .

Why oh why did I sign up???

Beautiful day in bray... 10k of hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I read this entire thread and kept thinking that I'd love to start running too but I didn't think I'd be fit enough. But then I got up and went out and yesterday I finished my first week of C25K. :D And it was great! I didn't have to take any breaks while running and I felt like a proper runner. It's such an amazing feeling when you run (even though I've only ran such short distances so far) and you feel so light and fast and like a superhero. :cool: I can't wait to start the next week tomorrow! I'm sure I won't be all this excited once I have to run for several minutes non stop. :o

• Advertisement

cynder wrote: »
    Hell and back tomorrow, 10 k of hell, I have a 6am start, collect my race pack by 10am and I'm in the second wave at 12 .

Cos its fun :p How did it go?

W8D2 with a teeny pitstop at about 22 mins in, my bowels seem to work on overdrive when I'm jogging :rolleyes::rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Just to say week 6 finally finished :D, happy as can be completing it, joged the distance and everything, and Saturday was a lovely day for running jogging (not quite a runner yet but getting there;)).
    Roll on week 7
    This will be a very broken up week for me, as I will be away for the weekend, so I must remeber to bring my running gear with me, good intentions and all that ;).

Congratulations suomi on finishing your first week, just to say you that there may be days when you are tired, days when you are sore, but it dose feel good when you pass the milestones on the program :)

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Congratulations suomi on finishing your first week, just to say you that there may be days when you are tired, days when you are sore, but it dose feel good when you pass the milestones on the program :)

Thanks! Yeah I'm expecting it to get much more difficult soon so I might as well enjoy the easiness while it lasts. :p

W2D1 in a few hours!

• Advertisement

W8D1 today, it was a great run, (despite having a slight wardrobe malfunction, my bra unhinged itself a few minutes in!), finally hit that runner's high that everyone talks about, felt amazing - and with the warm up walk I finally hit 5 km - can't wait until I can run the whole thing.

cynder wrote: »

Cos its fun :p How did it go?

Great fun, the best and worse 10k ive ever done, took me just over 2 hours, through water, mud, swamps, Forrest, obstacles, nets, over walls, hay and beams.

Doing it next October got my t- shirt and didn't finish last, better still I didn't give up.

It was hard and I've got a 3 inch cut on my elbow and over 20 bruises and 30 little scraps on my legs and aching bones to remind me that it was hell....

But fun....

Sorry

:p No need to say sorry sure you put spoiler tags on it and it was me who mentioned it in the first place!

Don't read whats below if you're sqeamish :p

Essentially whats happening is....
    when you're jogging, the adrenalin/flight or flight reaction kicks in so all the blood flows to the parts/organs in the body that need it most-so heart and lungs mainly. The digestive system isn't needed so anything that is in transit, or in the process of being digested essentially gets expelled super fast so the body can concentrate on other things. Thats why the consistency and colour is all odd
    :o:D:p

Finally found a 5k to 10k program designed like the C25K :D The last time I finished C25K I began to follow Hal Higdon's 10K program but its all done by distance and not time. I've no way of accurately measuring the distance (as mapmyrun isn't as accurate on the country roads here at home) and I've no Iphone or fancy watch so I'm delighted I found this
    The first day is 4 x 10 min runs with 2 mins walking in between each one. From 30 mins to 40 mins is a big jump so I might take a few weeks inbetween to build up to it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maybe do a sort of transitional period before that sort of program where you build up - say 4x8 min run, 2 min walk as an in-between session, then building to 4x9 before doing the 4x10?

Maybe do a sort of transitional period before that sort of program where you build up - say 4x8 min run, 2 min walk as an in-between session, then building to 4x9 before doing the 4x10?

Yeah that sounds doable actually, thanks Kirby :D:D Recovered after the race? Hows the back doing?

Just started back running about 5 days ago, done a few short ones - nothing more than 30-35 minutes at about 6 min/km pace. Back isn't as bad while running as it was, but still not 100%. Improving though, I'm probably going to keep my mileage relatively low over the next few months, but do more strength (weights or pilates) and cross (swimming or cycling) training too, and I'm most likely not going to race again in 2012.

Finished W7D1 last night, tried and sore and a bit disapointed, I ran for the full 25 minutes but on did 3.8K, I felt from the very first step that I was not going to do a good session, but pure stubborness made me run for the full 25 minutes, even though I felt like giving up after 10. Maybe the run will better on W7D2

FYI mocking is catching brainyneuron, I had a yougort about an hour before I ran last night, just finished my cool down walk, and my stomach sounded like a cement mixer, sprinted for the public toilits in Leisureland.

Finally found a 5k to 10k program designed like the C25K :D The last time I finished C25K I began to follow Hal Higdon's 10K program but its all done by distance and not time. I've no way of accurately measuring the distance (as mapmyrun isn't as accurate on the country roads here at home) and I've no Iphone or fancy watch so I'm delighted I found this
    The first day is 4 x 10 min runs with 2 mins walking in between each one. From 30 mins to 40 mins is a big jump so I might take a few weeks inbetween to build up to it!

Maybe have a look at this webpage, I am thinking that I will try this program in the new year, it a continuation of the C25K program, buliding more speed and stamina, and the podcast are free
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx
    I hope this may help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I managed to squeeze in a run whilst on holiday...only half way through did I realise 'oh yeah, we were warned about rattlesnakes'. Thankfully there were none.

Later on I walked through some of Central Park in New York. Some of the runners in there...talk about toned. :eek:

• Advertisement

Just started back running about 5 days ago, done a few short ones - nothing more than 30-35 minutes at about 6 min/km pace. Back isn't as bad while running as it was, but still not 100%. Improving though, I'm probably going to keep my mileage relatively low over the next few months, but do more strength (weights or pilates) and cross (swimming or cycling) training too, and I'm most likely not going to race again in 2012.

Cool, at least you're beginning to get back to normal (or normal-ish!). I've been meaning to start cycling too actually, have a nice bike too but its sitting sadly in the shed a year later!
    Finished W7D1 last night, tried and sore and a bit disapointed, I ran for the full 25 minutes but on did 3.8K, I felt from the very first step that I was not going to do a good session, but pure stubborness made me run for the full 25 minutes, even though I felt like giving up after 10. Maybe the run will better on W7D2

If you think you're going to have a bad session, then you will. Positive thinking ultra, positive thinking biggrin.png Well done for keeping going though!
    FYI mocking is catching brainyneuron, I had a yougort about an hour before I ran last night, just finished my cool down walk, and my stomach sounded like a cement mixer, sprinted for the public toilits in Leisureland.

Hehe :p At least you had Leisureland, if I don't manage to make it home then there's nowhere else except in the ditch :p (And hope that no car passes!) I don't think its anything to do with what you've eaten though, I run first thing in the morning with no food and it still happens.
    Maybe have a look at this webpage, I am thinking that I will try this program in the new year, it a continuation of the C25K program, buliding more speed and stamina, and the podcast are free
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx
    I hope this may help.

Yeah, I dunno if I want to push myself too much yet, I'll see, Thanks ultra!
    I managed to squeeze in a run whilst on holiday...only half way through did I realise 'oh yeah, we were warned about rattlesnakes'. Thankfully there were none.

Later on I walked through some of Central Park in New York. Some of the runners in there...talk about toned. :eek:

Rattlesnakes in New York?? :eek::eek::p

W8D3 this morning, it was really wet and windy but no pitstops today thankfully :D:D:p

I thought I was running slower than usual, but I ran much farther than I had on the previous two days of this week. Very odd! :p Roll on Week 9 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No. :P Canada.

Bridge to 10K is what I did after the C25K.

W7D2 copleted this morning, good run felt good and nearly ran the 4K just less than 100 M short :D, also broke in my new ALDI running jacket.

Away for the weekend brought my running gear but forgot my runners :(, so hopefully on Monday I will run W7D3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Any ladies doing the mini marathon in Limerick tommorow?

Last couple of runs went well, first 30 minutes in the lashing rain this morning, soaked to the skin coming in the door, but couldn't take the smile off my face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

W1D1 done :) wasn't as bad as I thought :) next one is Tuesday morning!

I also signed up to do a 5km run in December :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jingle Bells 5k? If so, you'll enjoy it, its a good one :)

• Advertisement

Jingle Bells 5k? If so, you'll enjoy it, its a good one :)
    Yup, looking forward to it :)

Advertisement