Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pembily wrote: »
    I also signed up to do a 5km run in December :eek: :eek: :eek:

The best thing you can do is sign up for a race, especially if you're just starting off on a running programme. The race will keep you motivated to keep running, even when it's cold and windy outside. I sign up for a race every 2 months, cos otherwise I'd have nothing to aim towards.

It was ideal weather conditions for the Limerick mini marathon this morning. I'm very dissapointed with my time though :( I got a stitch at the 3km mark and had to walk half a km until it was gone. Fecking stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm thinking of doing that jingle bells 10k. Does anyone know if it's just two loops of the 5k one or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I managed to squeeze in a run whilst on holiday...only half way through did I realise 'oh yeah, we were warned about rattlesnakes'. Thankfully there were none.

Later on I walked through some of Central Park in New York. Some of the runners in there...talk about toned. :eek:
    I'm going to New York next month. Can't wait to go running in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Went for a jog today but the cold air really irritated my nose, and made it very hard for me to breathe, so I wasn't able to keep up my speed and ended up walking more than running.

My nose felt really sore and now that I'm inside I keep sneezing and having to blow my nose. Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and how to avoid it?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's relatively cold today - the change between the warmth of indoors and the cold of outdoors can irritate your nose a bit. Happens to me all the time during the winter. Still better than poxy summer hayfever. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Pembily wrote: »
    W1D1 done :) wasn't as bad as I thought :) next one is Tuesday morning!

Yay :D:D:p

The race is great motivation, I must check to see if there's any on around here, seems to be mainly 10K's

Edit: Ooh there's one on the 14th of November http://www.runinthedark.org/ Gives me a month to get to 5K...that's doable! :D

W9D1 on Saturday morning, I normally do a 25 minute walk before I jog (to get me to the flat part of the road where I can jog.) But I had a course on Saturday morning so I didn't have time to do the full walk, I ended up doubling and tripling back on myself for the last 10 mins as I hadn't enough road left and to make sure I wasn't too far from home when I finished! The resulting jog was a little bit messy but I got the 30 mins done :D:D

W9D2 this morning. I have had a cold for the last week and woke up this morning with a really bad cough. Went back to bed for an hour and then went for the jog anyway (stupidity?-probably! :p). I didn't push myself too hard though! Needed another pitstop at about 22/23 mins in :rolleyes::rolleyes::o
    Think I should probably bring a pack of tissues with me in future!
    According to mapmyrun it was just under 4K :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

W9D2 complete - only one left, it seems crazy! I'm hitting about 4.25 km at the moment in 30 min, so I think I'll just gradually add some distance until I'm hitting 5km, then move onto a 10k program. I can't really get the courage yet to sign up for a race.

W9D3 done this morning :D:D:D And with no pitstops thankfully :D:D:o

Starting back to bootcamp next week i think (Rebel bootcamp in Cork) so the jogging will take a bit of a back seat for a while. Gotta tone up a bit! Will probably see if I can fit in two runs a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Injured again, both of my calf muscles this time :mad:. Can't even go up the stairs at work, have to use the lift :(. Need to take a few days rest

Found this

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13413-F,00.html

Will try the RICE

• Advertisement

W9D3 done this morning :D:D:D

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

W1D3 done, it was tough. Didn't mind running in the dark either and the road is super busy so felt quite safe :)

And that's C25K complete! Gorgeous day for it, though I was splashed by a car halfway through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Congratulations to those gals who have finished this week, and congratulations to those who are just starting!! Yizzer all fantastic! :D

As for me, I finally got back out and did W7D3 today after *gulp* 12 days off. My calves feel really good and I did some stretching before I went out, so we'll see how I am tomorrow.

Also keeping up Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, started level two a day or two ago ... ouch! :eek: Hope it'll all be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Restarted Couch to 5K this week, paired with a strength training regimen. I have a morning training partner, so I won't be able to make any excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I went out last night for the first time in two weeks. I've been sick and said I would ease myself into it by doing a 10 mins run. I ended up doing 25 so that's W7D1 done. :) I feel like I am on the homeward stretch now.

And that's C25K complete! /QUOTE]

Congratulations lemon_sherbert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Don't think I've written here before but anyways. So after a month off (let myself get far too distracted by things!) I started back at W4D3 which isn't too bad as I was at W5D1 before the break.

This time I'm determined to finish and nothings going to distract me!
    I'm thinking of signing up for a 5k so I have to keep going.
    I've been looking at the Jingle Bells 5K and I'm just looking for opinions! Is it good for a first time race?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yep, it's a very good choice. About 6 weeks away so you have some time to build up, and it's a good club-run race (run by Donore Harriers) with a decent spread of abilities and a nice spread afterwards in the clubhouse. :)

First post C25K run went well. Just went up to 33 min, going to add in gradually for a little while, trying to take it easy on the knees. Got followed by a couple of over-friendly dogs, which wasn't so great though.

• Advertisement

And that's C25K complete! Gorgeous day for it, though I was splashed by a car halfway through :(

Woohoo go us! :D:):D C25K graduates :p

Yesterday morning was my first day out jogging after finishing C25K on Wednesday. I did 7min 30 secs jogs and 2 min walks x4 to get me to 30 mins jogging altogether. I covered much more ground than I expected and ended up doing just under 5K (about 4.7) Didn't realise I was that close at the time so I'm delighted with that :):D Going to do the same again tomorrow morning, and see if I can continue to the 5K mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just done W7D2 - I'm usually a nighttime runner but decided to get it out of the way early today. It went well, finished it without any hiccups but found the last 10 minutes a bit of a struggle. Glad its over :D

Had a nice 35 min run today, lovely and quiet because of the rain. Was a little disappointed when I saw it was 4.75 km when I finished - just want to be able to say I've run 5k! But I guess it's not too far off.

How's everyone getting on? I had another nice outing yesterday, though the GPS signal went a bit mad, so I'm not sure how long it was. Finally got the courage up to sign up for a race, so on November 14th I'll be at Run in the Dark! First of many I hope :)

How's everyone getting on? I had another nice outing yesterday, though the GPS signal went a bit mad, so I'm not sure how long it was. Finally got the courage up to sign up for a race, so on November 14th I'll be at Run in the Dark! First of many I hope :)

Cool! :D
    I was going to do that too (in Cork) but now I've gotta move up North (got a job woohoo!) so can't do it :( There is one in Belfast too on the same date so I might be able to do that but it depends on what time I finish work that day. Believe it or not there's actually a 5K on here tonight, if I had known I wouldn't have gone jogging this morning!

Lovely jog this morning along the canals of Newry! :):D Did 8 min jog, 2 min walk x 4 so jogged 32 mins altogether :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I started week 3, I ran for 3 whole minutes, TWICE :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

W8D1 down. I got all excited when the app told me I'd done 5.04km but I'm pretty sure that counts my warm up / cooldown walks, so that's less exciting. But considering the last session was 3.78km I'm pretty chuffed :) It's getting closer!

• Advertisement

Went out for another 8 min jog, 2 min walk x 4 yesterday morning. Ended up so close to the 5K mark that I decided to keep going so in the end I did 34 mins jogging instead of 32 but I got to 5K!! Delighted :D:D

Advertisement