Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Maybe the only intercounty level back we have when it comes to actual defense. Duane is good on the attack but gets caught out on the counter a lot. I still don't understand how people think Hanley should be dropped. He gives away frees but his support at times is non-existent.

I'd go as far to say that Hanley is one of the best fullbacks in the country. Maybe the poster thinks he would serve the team better further out (which has been tried before). But otherwise, having doubts about probably our best and most reliable player is completely baffling. There have been so many dark days recently, where ive come from the ground thinking Hanley was one of the few players who performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Having looked at a couple of pics I took yesterday, I would revise my estimated of the crowd down to between 2k and 2.5k.
    Re Hanley at fullback, agree that he often does not get much cover/help from the rest of the backs, but perhaps centre back may be his best position. I do not think that anyone who was at the league game v Derrry or the chanpionship match v Sligo last summer would agree with the opinions expressed by a few posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Wouldn't move Hanley out to be honest. His reading of the game and positioning is incredible and makes up for him not being the speediest of players. I think he'd get caught out a bit in the half line and I don't think he's best kicker of ball either, which he seems to know himself and rarely actually kicks a long pass.
    As a full back though, I'd definitely agree he's one of the best in the country. Not many teams, if any, he wouldn't be a starter for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Maybe the only intercounty level back we have when it comes to actual defense. Duane is good on the attack but gets caught out on the counter a lot. I still don't understand how people think Hanley should be dropped. He gives away frees but his support at times is non-existent.

Would agree with that apart from I`d add Bradshaw as being up to the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Galway are a one show pony that is Joe Canning great player but god help Galway the day they have to take the field with out the portumna star.

100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Looks like Jimmy Barry is back for seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

teednab-el wrote: »
    100% agree.

So the pride of Cork and Kilkenny struggle to beat one man

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

The Galway team to play Waterford this Sunday will line out as follows:
    1. Colm Callanan

. Johnny Coen 3. Kevin Hynes 4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue 6. David Collins 7. Joseph Cooney

8. Iarla Tannian 9. Andy Smyth

10. Aidan Harte 11. Johnny Glynn 12. Davy Glennon

13. Cyril Donnellan 14. Joe Canning 15. Damien Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hope Cunningham and co. are doing a JBM a-la last Sunday on it. If that teams starts, back Waterford. Management persisting with players who aren't performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

nootroc wrote: »
    The Galway team to play Waterford this Sunday will line out as follows:
    1. Colm Callanan

. Johnny Coen 3. Kevin Hynes 4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue 6. David Collins 7. Joseph Cooney

10. Aidan Harte 11. Johnny Glynn 12. Davy Glennon

13. Cyril Donnellan 14. Joe Canning 15. Damien Hayes

How do people reckon they will line out?

1. Colm Callanan

2. Johnny Coen 3. Kevin Hynes 4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue 6. David Collins 10. Aidan Harte

14. Joe Canning 15. Damien Hayes

7. Joseph Cooney 13. Cyril Donnellan 12. Davy Glennon

11. Johnny Glynn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 galway 4 sam

Anyone know why Niall Burke is not playing recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

100% agree.

Enjoy the relegation playoffs, we'll enjoy the semi finals without even having played well.

AngeGal wrote: »
    Enjoy the relegation playoffs, we'll enjoy the semi finals without even having played well.

<Laughs at the above remark>
    <Mods, responding to this post by AngeGal alone>

Something the matter?

About time Galway beat Waterford in something it was getting pretty embarrasing. They have been destroying Galway for too long. Try and beat them in championship now for a change. Oh wait they haven't achieved that yet. Tipperary are another team Galway can never beat.

And what happened Galway last week? Your best team couldn't beat one of Corks worse teams since 2007 AND couldn't beat them in Galway? Not a good sign AngeGal but sure I'm so confident Galway will beat Kilkenny next day out and give them a much closer game than what Cork gave Kilkenny today in Nolan Park. Judging by your comments it's only a matter for Galway to turn up. Sure the maroon jersey will tear the stripes out of the cats and Galway have the greatest forwards since hurling has developed a forward line.

Anyway looking forward to placing my bets on Galway winning the All Ireland this year. I will go with the hype for a change even-though i can safely say my own county will win the All Ireland sooner with less resources. We are Cork.

<Heads off to Cork thread, nothing of value here>

<Laughs at the above remark>
    <Mods, responding to this post by AngeGal alone>

Something the matter?

About time Galway beat Waterford in something it was getting pretty embarrasing. They have been destroying Galway for too long. Try and beat them in championship now for a change. Oh wait they haven't achieved that yet. Tipperary are another team Galway can never beat.

And what happened Galway last week? Your best team couldn't beat one of Corks worse teams since 2007 AND couldn't beat them in Galway? Not a good sign AngeGal but sure I'm so confident Galway will beat Kilkenny next day out and give them a much closer game than what Cork gave Kilkenny today in Nolan Park. Judging by your comments it's only a matter for Galway to turn up. Sure the maroon jersey will tear the stripes out of the cats and Galway have the greatest forwards since hurling has developed a forward line.

Anyway looking forward to placing my bets on Galway winning the All Ireland this year. I will go with the hype for a change even-though i can safely say my own county will win the All Ireland sooner with less resources. We are Cork.

<Heads off to Cork thread, nothing of value here>

Quoted for comedy value alone, especially the bolded bit.

Quoted for comedy value alone, especially the bolded bit.

Yes we are Cork. 30 All Ireland Senior Hurling Titles ring a bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Sorry about this lads I taught I wondered on to the Galway thread. Very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

The whole perceived notion that you are somehow superior to fans from other counties because you were born in a particular county is a stupid and infantile retort when you are losing an argument. Change the record while the rest of us discuss hurling like adults

I was referring to the fact that it all sounded like some cheesy speech out of a bad kids movie. "We are Cork".

I'm not sure what your obsession with Galway is but it's pretty sad. I would understand it if we were on here saying we were unstoppable but nobody has said anything like that.

Anyway as mccarthy37 has said this is the Galway thread so I'll leave it there.

It isn't even trolling when his team could go down. Poor lad hasn't been right since the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I was referring to the fact that it all sounded like some cheesy speech out of a bad kids movie. "We are Cork".

I'm not sure what your obsession with Galway is but it's pretty sad. I would understand it if we were on here saying we were unstoppable but nobody has said anything like that.

Anyway as mccarthy37 has said this is the Galway thread so I'll leave it there.
    And I'm a Waterford man. Congratulation's on your win yesterday should be a great game between yourselves and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I'm from Cork and I'm even embarrassed.

I'm from Cork and I'm even embarrassed.
    He's a little cutie. Can we keep him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Post nice or dont post at all.

Dont make me get my ban hammer from my bag.

Mod warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Post nice or dont post at all.

Dont make me get my ban hammer from my bag.

Mod warning.

I thought he was banned from the GAA forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I thought he was banned from the GAA forum?

My warning is not aimed at any individual but at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Any hinters on where the league Semis are going to be held??

Both fixed for Apr 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

My warning is not aimed at any individual but at everyone.

Apologies for backseat modding but it should be aimed at a particular individual who has persistently trolled and been allowed get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Any hinters on where the league Semis are going to be held??

Both fixed for Apr 21st.

Was Thurles last year, will more than likely be there again. Would prefer if it was on in Portlaoise or Tullamore myself, easier to get to and Tipp aren't getting home field advantage. Thurles is a pain to get to, terrible roads and journey takes over 2 hours.

Attendance was only 15k which would make Tullamore and Portlaoise more than big enough to hold both matches and would be a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

What odds a double-header in Croker if it's Tipp v the Dubs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If mods want to direct a warning at an individual poster they will either put their name in the post following @ or they will PM the user, not all moderating will be done on thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement