Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

With the weather the way it is are any of the Galway games this weekend in danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

1. Colm Callanan

2. Johnny Coen
    3. Kevin Hynes
    4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue
    6. David Collins
    7. Joseph Cooney

8. Iarlaith Tannian
    9. Andrew Smyth

10. Johnny Glynn
    11. Aidan Harte
    12. Davy Glennon

13. Niall Healy
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Damian Hayes

Team for Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

nootroc wrote: »
    1. Colm Callanan

2. Johnny Coen
    3. Kevin Hynes
    4. Fergal Moore

5. Niall Donoghue
    6. David Collins
    7. Joseph Cooney

8. Iarlaith Tannian
    9. Andrew Smyth

10. Johnny Glynn
    11. Aidan Harte
    12. Davy Glennon

13. Niall Healy
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Damian Hayes

Team for Sunday

Should be interesting to see Collins at 6. Anyone know what's going on with his clubmate John Lee? I heard he was training well a month or two ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

AngeGal wrote: »
    Should be interesting to see Collins at 6. Anyone know what's going on with his clubmate John Lee? I heard he was training well a month or two ago.

If John Lee ever got his ass in good shape he could be our solution at #6 for the next 5 years. He is the same age as Joe Canning and could be a dominant CB, given his size and hurling ability. Does he have the desire or the time for intercounty hurling I suspect is the question. The current management team should be able to whip him into shape, they did it with Tannion last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

nagirrac wrote: »
    If John Lee ever got his ass in good shape he could be our solution at #6 for the next 5 years. He is the same age as Joe Canning and could be a dominant CB, given his size and hurling ability. Does he have the desire or the time for intercounty hurling I suspect is the question. The current management team should be able to whip him into shape, they did it with Tannion last year.

He's a couple of years older than Joe Canning but agree with the rest of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Didn't Lee start getting big during his final year in Medicine? He hasn't recovered since and one of the saddest sights I've seen in hurling was him coming on as a sub against Waterford in '11. There's still time but as ye said does he have the motivation to get back to early form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lee is probably working long hours as a junior doctor and mightn't really have the time for it at this stage.

Great win for the U-21 footballers today. Beat Mayo 0-9 to 0-7 for anyone not aware. So even if our seniors are off the pace at the moment the future isn't all bleak. Anyone know why Peadar O'Griofa wasn't involved? Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Lee is probably working long hours as a junior doctor and mightn't really have the time for it at this stage.

Great win for the U-21 footballers today. Beat Mayo 0-9 to 0-7 for anyone not aware. So even if our seniors are off the pace at the moment the future isn't all bleak. Anyone know why Peadar O'Griofa wasn't involved? Is he injured?

O'Griofa did his cruciate recently. Tomas Flynn is also missing. he's just on his way back from injury. Great win today. Shane Walsh. Remember the name. He's going to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just in the door from Tuam. Good win but a poor game at times though it has to be said the referee had a large part to play in that. Can't remember ever seeing a reffing display like it, completely baffling. Liam Silke's sending off is up there as one of the most farcical things I've seen on a football pitch.
    Mayo's free kicking was very poor and probably the main reason Galway still lead at half time as they fell away quite badly towards the end of the half after a decent opening.
    Second half was tight but in fairness to the management they recognised it was a day for the bigger lads and brought in Maughan and O'hEochaldh. Couple of risky moments towards the end but Shaughnessy had picked up his game and defended well.
    Obviously Shane Walsh was the best player out there today, some great points from play and generally spot on decision making but he did miss some scoreable frees.

Anyone hear what time of day the Connacht final will be on? I know it's on the 6th April but need to know what exact time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

U21 on Saturdays are usually 4pm or 4:30pm, so I expect something in that range. Last year the final was anyways, but there was a minor league match on before it. All roads lead to the Hyde lads, just don't expect our U21s collapse like our seniors did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Just in the door from Tuam. Good win but a poor game at times though it has to be said the referee had a large part to play in that. Can't remember ever seeing a reffing display like it, completely baffling. Liam Silke's sending off is up there as one of the most farcical things I've seen on a football pitch.
    Mayo's free kicking was very poor and probably the main reason Galway still lead at half time as they fell away quite badly towards the end of the half after a decent opening.
    Second half was tight but in fairness to the management they recognised it was a day for the bigger lads and brought in Maughan and O'hEochaldh. Couple of risky moments towards the end but Shaughnessy had picked up his game and defended well.
    Obviously Shane Walsh was the best player out there today, some great points from play and generally spot on decision making but he did miss some scoreable frees.

Anyone hear what time of day the Connacht final will be on? I know it's on the 6th April but need to know what exact time.

Refereeing was diabolical, esp. in first half, he copped on a bit more after ht. Completely ruined the flow of the game. Glad of the win as you'd feel there's more in this Galway team if they could organise their forwards a bit better, Walsh is a bit light for senior football yet maybe but is a star in the making. Silke tends to be a bit rash, don't know if he's good enough long term. FB Shaughnessy had a good second half. O Curraoin always involved but tends to dwell in possession and lose it. A strong bench really helped the home side today. Onwards to the Rossies.

So O'Griofa has done his cruciate? That's a shame as he is a talented player with a lot of potential. Hopefully he doesn't end up as yet another promising minor that fell by the wayside.

Yeah, shame about O'Griofa, seems like he has a bit of talent and he's big too which is seriously needed in the senior team.
    As for the seniors, Keith Kelly at centre back is by far the most interesting move that's been made at that position this year. No idea how it'll turn out but Kelly is a nice enough footballer. The rest of the team is much less interesting although maaaaybe O'Doherty and Cummins might show something. Armstrong back starting is a worry as he's been brutal in a Galway jersey since he returned from injury.
    Get the feeling there's another sorry loss on the cards for the footballers.

Hurlers could easily lose too, hard to know what to make of them. They're obviously aiming to peak much later into the year but the loss to Tip was worrying. Thomas's players aren't back yet either.

MfMan wrote: »
    Refereeing was diabolical, esp. in first half, he copped on a bit more after ht. Completely ruined the flow of the game. Glad of the win as you'd feel there's more in this Galway team if they could organise their forwards a bit better, Walsh is a bit light for senior football yet maybe but is a star in the making. Silke tends to be a bit rash, don't know if he's good enough long term. FB Shaughnessy had a good second half. O Curraoin always involved but tends to dwell in possession and lose it. A strong bench really helped the home side today. Onwards to the Rossies.

The U-21's definitely have a strong bench when you see the likes of Daithi Burke, Rabbitte, Maughan and Ian Burke on the bench. Most of whom were very good minors and any one of them could easily be starting for the U-21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just back from the games in Pearse. Footballers had a good win, Armstrong MOTM for me anyway, he did very well creating play in the number 11 position. Meehan was poor but he didn't get near enough service. I was very surprised to see Fiontáin playing after his exerts last night with U-21s, Shane Walsh also came on and I saw Tommy Flynn warming up as well. We really need a midfield for championship, O' Shea and Moran will have a field day. Not one ball winner out there today, maybe 3 clean catches all game.

As for the hurlers, well they really should have won that match. Took their foot off the pedal after they went 4 up midway through the second. Joe Canning was immense as usual. Have to say the ref was poor, gave a good few soft frees to Cork, especially in the first, and their penalty was quite soft also. Couldn't understand the positioning of Joe when the game levelled up, he was playing halfway between centre forward and full forward so the ball pretty much just bypassed him 2 or 3 times towards the end.

THFC wrote: »
    Shane Walsh also came on and I saw Tommy Flynn warming up as well. .

You sure Shane Walsh came on? The facebook updates said he came on as well but I was fairly sure it was Cathal Sweeney :confused:

Good win for the footballers but wouldn't get too carried away, still a lot of problems. The half back line were desperate in the first half, I mean seriously bad. Wexford were running right through so easily it was shocking. But the worst part of it was the sheer volume of suicidal hand passes that were being played across the 45m line. Never seen a Galway team do that so much before and it was really annoying a lot of the crowd too.
    I've been critical of Armstrong before but when he dropped back to centre forward/midfield he made a huge difference. Still a lot of handpasses were being done but once he got the ball he generally kicked good ball down to the full forwards. Definitely kept us in the first half. Very solid free taking too.

Bradshaw settled the defensive aspect of the half backs in the second half but the messing about still remained, kicked a nice point too. O'Curraoin played much better today than he did yesterday oddly. He picked his game up when it mattered in the second half and won some vital ball. Man of the match for me was probably Finian Hanley, his reading of the game was faultness and he has an amazing ability to somehow get a touch that knocks the ball out of his opponent's hand and allow the rest of the full back line to set. Didn't see him beaten once.

Well we won't be going down anyway which is a good thing but it'd take some fortunate results to see us go up.

Great result in the football. Conroy is a rare glimpse of class in a side bereft of any fielders. Hanley was superb though, amazes me that people want Forde in a FB for him. Meehan is gradually showing form of old. He almost had a great flick through to Danny IIRC. Concannon and Bradshaw really raised the tempo when they came on but O'Brien was very quiet. O'Curraoin did well considering he won a U-21 match yesterday and Walsh didn't really have enough time to make a difference. Sice had a decent game. Army had a great 5 minute spell when Masterson was handing scores to Galway. Nice to see them pulling away with the win over a team that really should be better on paper. Wexford were very poor. Would be a big confidence boost to relegate Armagh away going into the battlefield against Mayo.

The hurlers though. UGH. Hayes was so off-form it amazed me he lasted so long. Glynn was awful. Cooney looked lost. Cork were getting scores with little to no effort in comparison to Galway. They're a team that needs a play-off IMO. Coen was my MOTM in the 2nd. Canning was pulled back to midfield after 5 minutes. It never works lads, ever. He did score some excellent points. Love a sideline cut over the bar. Tan was grand. Glennon is really impressing me and can't see Regan displacing him. Those missed frees cost us a win and safety. Some of those frees were easier than the hard ones Canning scored. Had Vietnam-esque flashbacks to the AI draw. Really hope they're planning on peaking over the Summer and this League is at the back of their minds. Still though would be nice to stay up but the points difference is the worst in the table. Absolutely nothing points wise between the teams though. A win keeps us up ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Galway are a one show pony that is Joe Canning great player but god help Galway the day they have to take the field with out the portumna star.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I've always been a huge believer in Armstrongs ability and it's been incredibly frustrating over the years not to have him show it. However, today he was excellent. He had urgency and pace in running, his free taking was very good, and his brilliant ball to Meehan prior to the goal was really the moment that changed the game. Perhaps he is better out the field where he can gather possession and be a focal point of the attack. With Joyce gone and Meehan still getting into the swing of things, the attack needs a talisman and Armstrong, now with an injury free run, could be that.

The were poor points too however. Every time Galway play with the wind, they seem to struggle. The other side always brings an extra man back to defense who sweeps up any long ball played in. (Annoying to hear idiots in the crowd constantly baying for the ball to be launched in when its 4 vs 2 in there. You really have to question peoples understanding of the game, although maybe worse today due to the hurling crowd). They can't seem to locate the free man out the field and play an overlap game. We played better once again in the second half against the wind.

I though midfield was fine. O'Currain did very well in the second half when he was the only 'big man' in there. Bradshaw brought some much needed urgency to a half back line that had a very poor first half. Some of his tackling back was excellent. Hanley is a class act as per usual, and Sice recovered from a ridiculous error in the first half to have a good second.

The attack bar Armstrong was fairly stagnated, with Cummins the other bright spark. John O'Brien was quite poor, and Doherty never really got going. Some positives but a lot to work on. The game largely fell into our laps due to a Wexford collapse after the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The hurlers though. UGH. Hayes was so off-form it amazed me he lasted so long. Glynn was awful. Cooney looked lost. Cork were getting scores with little to no effort in comparison to Galway. They're a team that needs a play-off IMO. Coen was my MOTM in the 2nd. Canning was pulled back to midfield after 5 minutes. It never works lads, ever. He did score some excellent points. Love a sideline cut over the bar. Tan was grand. Glennon is really impressing me and can't see Regan displacing him. Those missed frees cost us a win and safety. Some of those frees were easier than the hard ones Canning scored. Had Vietnam-esque flashbacks to the AI draw. Really hope they're planning on peaking over the Summer and this League is at the back of their minds. Still though would be nice to stay up but the points difference is the worst in the table. Absolutely nothing points wise between the teams though. A win keeps us up ya?

A win would more than likely be enough for Galway. But a win may not suffice. If Galway win and one or more of the other games finishes in a draw there will be a few teams on 5 points and it will come down to scoring difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

You sure Shane Walsh came on? The facebook updates said he came on as well but I was fairly sure it was Cathal Sweeney :confused:.

Shane Walsh definitely came on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't understand why Joe switches positions so much during games. He's a fantastic player and a huge goal threat. I hate seeing him getting on the ball near goal. I breath a sigh of relief when I see him moving out the field.

From a Cork point of view I thought the game was over when Galway went 4 up. At the end I was disappointed we didn't nick it.

That Armstrong lad was very good in the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

I don't think that the footballers midfield was fine today. Conroy had to come out and help in that sector. Still a good win against a team that beat us in Pearse Stadium in the championship under Joe Kernan a few years ago. However a number of the vital scores in the 2nd half came as a result of Wexford mistakes (granted due to pressure put on) so still major improvement needed in the forwards. My guess was that there was a crowd of approx 3.5k there on bitter cold day and I noticed that there was an extra turnstile gate open.

Two enjoyable games, especially the hurling as it had an exciting finish. The hurlers were again over-dependent on Joe Canning, but Coen and Davy Glennon also showed well. It great to witness some of the skills of J Canning like the sideline and that pass for the 1st Galway goal. Going back to the football, Conroy and Armstrong gave great displays, but I would still have my doubts about Hanley at fullback.

The football was a strange game. Galway never looked very convincing but ended up running out 8 points winners thanks to 1-5 without reply in the last 10 minutes. Before that though it was anyone's game. Hanley was very good. I noticed Griffin came off at half-time. He definitely seems to be carrying some extra timber so I presume he doesn't have the legs for any longer than 35-40 minutes. Worrying the way especially in the first half how Wexford players were making 50 yard runs forward straight through the middle of defence with nobody getting a decent tackle in. The Wexford corner-back made 3 runs like that. An awful lot of lateral handpassing from Galway as well. The movement wasn't good enough off the ball. At least they are safe in division 2 now. These lads aren't ready for division 1 at this stage.

The hurlers really should have closed out their game. Conceded two sloppy goals and Canning missed at least 3 scoreable frees which was strange as apart from those he was brilliant. Would need to see the Cork penalty again in replay but my first instinct was that it was a very soft one. Glennon played well again and is the big (and maybe only bonus) from the league campaign so far but I have no idea how Glynn and Cooney stayed on for virtually the entire game. Glynn didn't win a ball until 10 minutes from the end and winning possession is meant to be his strong point. Cooney I don't think even touched the ball until a few minutes from the end. If that was Kilkenny, Cody would have substituted both of them after about 20 minutes. Maybe Cunningham wanted to give them a chance or maybe he doesn't have faith in his bench without the Thomas' lads being available yet? Certainly Galway could do with getting David Burke, Niall Burke (not Toms I know) and Conor Cooney back and Bernard Burke and James Regan would be handy bench options.

Think the hurlers will avoid the relegation play-off if they beat Waterford barring one of the other games ending in a draw. Not easy to win down there though as Tipp found out today.

Consolodation was the aim for the footballers and in fairness they've done that. This team is not up to division 1 standard but they're safe in div 2 which seems to be our level at the moment.

As for the hurlers I wouldn't be too worried about the fact they are bottom as it's a fiercely competitive division where there's not a whole lot between any of the 6 teams on a given day. What would concern me is the continued reliance on JC for scores. Management still haven't learned from last year's mistakes and that's criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Consolodation was the aim for the footballers and in fairness they've done that. This team is not up to division 1 standard but they're safe in div 2 which seems to be our level at the moment.

As for the hurlers I wouldn't be too worried about the fact they are bottom as it's a fiercely competitive division where there's not a whole lot between any of the 6 teams on a given day. What would concern me is the continued reliance on JC for scores. Management still haven't learned from last year's mistakes and that's criminal.

Ah, give Anto a chance!

He's problem been on the tear since St. Thomas and Brigid's won their AIs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Exactly! Tannian continues to hit aimless balls wide. Donnellan finished his 1-2 well but his touch remains appalling, (though as he's been on the panel for 5-6 years now this is an inherited problem). Joe Cooney for a lot of the league campaign and Glynn for all of it have been hurling poorly, yet they are still selected. If they're not good enough, they're not good enough, senior inter-county isn't the arena to be developing players, that's what underage and development squads are for. Andy Smyth doesn't have sufficient ability or drive for midfield and is prone to indiscipline.

For what it's worth I thought all the backs didn't do so bad, though Hynes had an odd shaky moment. 2-12 isn't a huge amount to concede and it would probably have been less if the forwards had been better. Hayes hadn't his best match by any means but his touch is generally good, particularly when low ball is coming at him, and he's cute enough to be able to turn his man and /or win a free. JC remains a joy to watch and is a man amongst boys. Unfortunately, like Ollie, he may be destined to finish his career without a senior medal. Now that would be really criminal from this or any management. I mean, Glynn and Cooney! My God!

The spread of scores is still much too narrow and we're not scoring nearly enough. 1-13 against Clare, 2-12 yesterday, that's a long way short of what's needed to win games in modern day intercounty hurling.

We shouldn't be overly surprised that management haven't learned from last year because last year they didn't learn from game to game either. They persisted with this disastrous tactic of dropping everyone back in the second half and going into ultra-defensive mode. Topped off by the galling sight of JC toiling in the halfback line. They persisted with this nonsense in stubborn Trappatoni fashion even when it clearly wasn't working (and could it ever?).

wonder88 wrote: »
    I would still have my doubts about Hanley at fullback.
    Maybe the only intercounty level back we have when it comes to actual defense. Duane is good on the attack but gets caught out on the counter a lot. I still don't understand how people think Hanley should be dropped. He gives away frees but his support at times is non-existent.

• Advertisement

Maybe the only intercounty level back we have when it comes to actual defense. Duane is good on the attack but gets caught out on the counter a lot. I still don't understand how people think Hanley should be dropped. He gives away frees but his support at times is non-existent.

Agree with this, ridicules to read some posters calling for him to be dropped when the real problems lie in the middle sectors(HB-HF-MID).
    Doesn't matter how good your FB/FF lines are, they'll either get no ball(FF) or be under pressure the entire game(FB) if you're lacking elsewhere.

Was there yesterday, a very mixed bag.
    That was probably the most ball I've seen a Galway midfield catch in donkeys of years, we were a bit slack with the breaks (but anyone who watches Aussie Rules will learn that winning hard ball is an art in itself and it takes a certain steel that most players just don't have and that you certainly can't teach)

What I found most with the footballers was that they struggled to make use of the possession when they had it.
    There was numerous times where at least 20 players bunched up the lines between each 65 around midfield.
    This is grand when you don't have possession, but I found it extremely frustrating to see the players make no effort to find space and spread out when we won the ball.
    Might sound ridicules but I think a few sessions with a good soccer coach(obviously adapted) would be a benefit to GAA teams who are struggling to find space when attacking.

Too often we saw the ball handpassed 4/5 yards around the midfield with the ball coming back into the corridor when offloaded to somebody out wide.

If we can work on our ball use, I'd actually be more optimistic about this coming summer.
    I think we might finally win a qualifier or two.

The hurlers on the other hand provided nothing new we didn't already know.
    We need to alter the midfield, we're too one dimensional playing two grafters.
    I'd go with Tannion and another of some point scoring ability.
    I think the backs had a fairly good game, but the forward unit's set up is leading to too much easy ball being cleared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement