Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I don't think Pad Duffy overly cared if it was a success or failure. He and his pals at HQ had to come up with a solution on the falling attendances and this new format of more games equals more money. He is also was responsible for getting rid of good U21 AI championship and replaced it with a diluted version that few had much interest in. Had no time for him and his bluff talk just a pity he didn't step down sooner.

The changing of U-21 and minor was such a terrible idea and I hope it's reversed. Last weekend we had Mayo and Kildare playing in an U-20 final that almost no-one even watched because it was clashing with the Galway-Clare replay. Not to mention that it was played in a near-empty Croke Park. They've made a total mess of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The changing of U-21 and minor was such a terrible idea and I hope it's reversed. Last weekend we had Mayo and Kildare playing in an U-20 final that almost no-one even watched because it was clashing with the Galway-Clare replay. Not to mention that it was played in a near-empty Croke Park. They've made a total mess of that.

With the Kildare seniors having played in killarney the day before too. Unbelievable scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

meriwether wrote: »
    With the Kildare seniors having played in killarney the day before too. Unbelievable scheduling.

It's been the most terrible year for the gaa I can remember. The only saving grace this year has been the hurling. Apart from that it's been as disaster on and off the pitch. We even have refs chucking it in. Congress should be focused on a clean out but instead it will faff about with a rule or two.

It's hard to see how we win today. I don't think we can sit back, absorb pressure and break. We tried that in both league games. Dublin reeled us in in salthill and kept a comfortable gap in croker.

We simply have to leave our full forward line up and our centre forward in midfield as a link, ideally Shane Walsh. Everyone else can drop back when we lose possession. If we can't defend with 11 then we can't defend.

We simply can't have McMahon, Cooper etc rampaging up the field cos their man has dropped deep. We have to keep them honest.

I think we've set up not to do that all year however so I can't see it changing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to the footballers today.
    I'm sticking with my original bet and Galway to shock the dubs and beat Tyrone in the final but either way it's been a good year for Galway football and the team should be proud.fair play to them.
    Now plough on in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And just to add I think it's wrong that an all Ireland semi final is being played on a Saturday evening.fair enough if it was a replay but it's not fair on players and supporters and I think it takes away from the atmosphere and build up.it should be a prime 3pm Sunday slot.i don't like the new timetable at all or round robin thing.
    If you travel from out west say maam cross or further and you drive up what time of night would you get home?and the possibility of extra time.i know a lad not going incase time went over and he missed the last train.

And just to add I think it's wrong that an all Ireland semi final is being played on a Saturday evening.fair enough if it was a replay but it's not fair on players and supporters and I think it takes away from the atmosphere and build up.it should be a prime 3pm Sunday slot.i don't like the new timetable at all or round robin thing.
    If you travel from out west say maam cross or further and you drive up what time of night would you get home?and the possibility of extra time.i know a lad not going incase time went over and he missed the last train.

The scheduling seems like it was done by a 3yr old. Weeks between games in the connaught championship and no break at the business end. There's guys in Croke park getting very highly paid and doing a sh1t job. But there's a public service mentality there so there's no accountability

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Heading up myself with a group, but definitely a lack of interest from the usual quarters. Still doesn't stop us believing we're turn the dubs over. Gaillimh Abú.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Motorwar very quiet on the drive up. Still early but not a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Match programme has Patrick Sweeney and Gary O Donnell down to start. No Kelly or Heaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Best of luck to footballers today. Can’t make the game as I’m heading away on holidays. On the bus up noticed a reasonable crowd from Galway and which was good to see. Hope we give a good show. Fancy us to keep it within the handicap. I think I land just after 5 Irish time so hopefully I’ll catch a bit of the match on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

he Galway team to play Dublin in Croke Park on Saturday August 11th has been announced

1-Ruairí Lavelle

2-Declan Kyne

3-Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh

4-Eoghan Kerin

5-Cathal Sweeney

6-Gareth Bradshaw

7-Gary O’Donnell

8-Peter Cooke

9-Thomas Flynn

10-Shane Walsh

11-Patrick Sweeney

12-Seán Kelly

13-Ian Burke

14-Damien Comer

15-Eamonn Brannigan

Patrick Sweeney is starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

Match programme has Patrick Sweeney and Gary O Donnell down to start. No Kelly or Heaney.

I really hope it is just mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Motorway busy here past Athlone. Hopefully a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

vid36 wrote: »
    Kelly unlikely to start after the injury he got last week. Heaney should start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

vid36 wrote: »
    Kelly unlikely to start after the injury he got last week. Heaney should start.

Kelly is actually fine. Not sure he will start though.

he Galway team to play Dublin in Croke Park on Saturday August 11th has been announced

1-Ruairí Lavelle

2-Declan Kyne

3-Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh

4-Eoghan Kerin

5-Cathal Sweeney

6-Gareth Bradshaw

7-Gary O’Donnell

8-Peter Cooke

9-Thomas Flynn

10-Shane Walsh

11-Patrick Sweeney

12-Seán Kelly

13-Ian Burke

14-Damien Comer

15-Eamonn Brannigan

Patrick Sweeney is starting?

Sweeney at centre forward? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

If he’s fine why wouldn’t he?

He's not named among the subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Minors being bested with the wind in their favour.

• Advertisement

Minors being bested with the wind in their favour.

Wasted their chances when on top. Two corner forwards have been poor in possession. Halloran at centre forward and Sweeney at wing back the standouts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Duggan heaney and Armstrong playing for o Donnell, Cooke and varley

He's not named among the subs

Got this completely wrong! Kelly is named to start. I was looking for him on the subs!! Hearing Heaney for O Donnell and Duggan for Cooke. Daly is on the bench.

If your free taker is a half back who kicks like that they done well to even get this far.

Just constant errors and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves if they lose this.

Absolutely brutal management to even have him taking them since the short 1-2 he missed.

If your free taker is a half back who kicks like that they done well to even get this far.

Ya he's been poor. But he's centre forward for his club and barely missed for this minor team all year.

Just constant errors and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves if they lose this.

Yes he's missed 5 on the bounce and no sign of a change. Ridiculous team management. By far the better team but keeping Meath in it

This Tinney lad is very greedy too. Taking really bad options

Great finish by the centre back.

• Advertisement

Letting him take another is crazy. Even though he'll probably score.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement