Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

conor05 wrote: »
    Lads let it go. There is no All Ireland in this Galway football team. Dublin and a few others are ahead of them.

Since 2010 Galway are now contesting their 4th All Ireland hurling final, hurling is where it’s at for Galway.

Some achievement to be able to have a football team make a semi final level tho.

Good lad . I say you are a right barrell of laughs .

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Amprodude wrote: »
    the more i think about this game the more I believe Galway will dismantle Limerick rather comfortably. I think if the Galway unit can get going they are going to be too much for Limerick. Limerick i believe can be turned inside out by that Galway forward line. Galway to retain Liam and win it with a bit to spare.

Well there's a doozy. It's possible I guess.. Whelan and Canning at al are some operators. It could be a right tanking for the Shannonsiders. I doubt it though.
    Going on form and the Galway scoring rate it will take everything and abit more for Galway to retain Sam. Limerick have the better squad and some Galway players can't last 50mins not talk about 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Liam not Sam....mixed up Republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Well there's a doozy. It's possible I guess.. Whelan and Canning at al are some operators. It could be a right tanking for the Shannonsiders. I doubt it though.
    Going on form and the Galway scoring rate it will take everything and abit more for Galway to retain Sam. Limerick have the better squad and some Galway players can't last 50mins not talk about 70.

Don’t think that lad that posted all that crap is a galway supporter . Any real galwegian knows Sunday is gonna be a mammoth battle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

MfMan wrote: »
    Wouldn't keep Walsh on, rate of progress far too slow, and tactically poor. In 3 years time, Duggan will be 30!:)

Typo, meant Cooke obviously. Although he's been a tad disappointing this year but is still a child in midfielder terms and build

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There's more than enough coming through the pipeline. Besides Kerry I think we're one of the most priveliged counties in that regard. I would certainly keep Walsh on, but what worries me was his hesitancy to commit to his future after the game. Next year is by no means make or break, this team won't realistically reach its peak for 3 years when the trio up front are leading at 28, Daly SAC and Duggan are established players and we've brought through some of the talented youngsters. Not sure we want a situation where one poor semi final again next year leads to upheaval. Hopefully they get a long term commitment from Walsh or else give a newcomer the time to turn this side into a true contender

28?

Sure Donnellan, Joyce and Savage were only 20 or 21 when they won in 1998.

conor05 wrote: »
    Lads let it go. There is no All Ireland in this Galway football team. Dublin and a few others are ahead of them.

Since 2010 Galway are now contesting their 4th All Ireland hurling final, hurling is where it’s at for Galway.

Some achievement to be able to have a football team make a semi final level tho.

So we'll give up the football? Third most successful football county and the county's most successful sports side historically by a distance. There's a lot of talent underage and the team is one of the youngest around. Will be tough to bridge the gap to Dublin but no reason they can't be winning Connacht and challenging at the latter stages every year.

A few have mentioned the pathetic support. So disheartening. People content to sit on their holes at home and give out online. I hope people like that don't get near a Hurling final ticket next week. There's loads of hurling only people which I can understand if don't accept but plenty of the football crowd aren't bothering these days either. Have no trouble following the success however

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

spurshero wrote: »
    Don’t think that lad that posted all that crap is a galway supporter . Any real galwegian knows Sunday is gonna be a mammoth battle

That poster amprodude has been trolling on Clare, Kerry, Monaghan and now Galway page the last week.

28?

Sure Donnellan, Joyce and Savage were only 20 or 21 when they won in 1998.

What does that have to do with anything? I'm making the point that they'll still be leaders in their prime. We're about 5 players short of an AI contending side. There's plenty of talented defenders and one midfielder coming through that can bridge that gap. Goalie is another story. But I was making the point that the real top talent in Galway will all be in their prime in a few years. This is SAC's first year remember. Daly is 22, Darcy is 20 and Mulkerrins 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Gael85 wrote: »

That poster amprodude has been trolling on Clare, Kerry, Monaghan and now Galway page the last week.
    Mayo page too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Gael85 wrote: »

Mayo page too

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Typo, meant Cooke obviously. Although he's been a tad disappointing this year but is still a child in midfielder terms and build

Is he hell a child in size. Hes 22 and built like a house. You thinking of Ian Burke??

Is he hell a child in size. Hes 22 and built like a house. You thinking of Ian Burke??

Cooke has nowhere near filled out his frame. Compare him to O'Currain for instance. Even Flynn who is notoriously gangly has filled out plenty more than Cooke. It's understandable, he has only had 2 years or so of S&C at senior level and nobody has filled out fully at 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Roll on Sunday any word on g macs injury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cooke has nowhere near filled out his frame. Compare him to O'Currain for instance. Even Flynn who is notoriously gangly has filled out plenty more than Cooke. It's understandable, he has only had 2 years or so of S&C at senior level and nobody has filled out fully at 22.

Indo today suggests Cillian McDaid set to return home, a big boost for us next year if so.

O Curraoin has never come close to filling out his huge frame. He looks like a bag of bones compared to even Flynn. Doesn't really matter at this stage I'm sure another winter will bring them on in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

MfMan wrote: »
    Indo today suggests Cillian McDaid set to return home, a big boost for us next year if so.

Amazing news for Galway, he'll be a huge addition at a position of need. Feel bad for him, heard he was doing well but that was obviously hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazing news for Galway, he'll be a huge addition at a position of need. Feel bad for him, heard he was doing well but that was obviously hearsay.

AFL clubs don't usually get rid of lads so soon. Usually let them see out their contract at the very least. Possible he just wants to come home. Big boost to Galway though as he has enormous potential as a wing-back. Very quick and well able to take his scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭conor05

AFL clubs don't usually get rid of lads so soon. Usually let them see out their contract at the very least. Possible he just wants to come home. Big boost to Galway though as he has enormous potential as a wing-back. Very quick and well able to take his scores.

This. Heard that from a close source to the family. He is very homesick. And that is very understandable for a lad his age on the other side of the world.
    He was making good progress by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's potentially Liam Silke and McDaid back next year. Those could be two big additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭threeball

That's potentially Liam Silke and McDaid back next year. Those could be two big additions.

Massive. I'd like to see Silke at corner back next year with Kyne moving to centre back. Everything about him says centre back to me. Powerful, physical, good at carrying the ball forward, good distributor (great pass before the peno on saturday). McDaid to one wing, Heaney on the other, another year or two and Cathal Sweeney from the minor team could take that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

threeball wrote:
    Massive. I'd like to see Silke at corner back next year with Kyne moving to centre back. Everything about him says centre back to me. Powerful, physical, good at carrying the ball forward, good distributor (great pass before the peno on saturday). McDaid to one wing, Heaney on the other, another year or two and Cathal Sweeney from the minor team could take that side.

I was thinking the exact same, I just think it will be a bit too soon for Sweeney for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

How about Molloy? Himself and McDaid are made for the 2 wings, never thought of Kyne at CB but could be a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭testtech05

How about Molloy? Himself and McDaid are made for the 2 wings, never thought of Kyne at CB but could be a great move.

Ditto on Kyne never thought of it. Seems to have good attributes for a CB. Always think he looks comfortable when he makes runs forward too so could be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

He's a bit loose for the tightness you generally get from the likes of Kerin at corner back but centre back could be interesting.

Molloy could do a job there or Wall.
    Positives for next year are that,

Kelly will improve and get stronger
    Same for Cooke
    Duggan and a few others will have a full year of S&C behind them
    Silke hopefully will be back
    McDaid hopefully will be back
    We'll get another 2 up from u21
    That means we'll have at least 4 decent subs we can use.

That alone is enough to bring this team on 10-15%.
    A stronger back 6 with more emphasis on attack will make us dangerous but i'm certain that Kyne to CB has to be tried at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

for any of ye coming up the night before to the hurling all ireland or for those of us in exile in Dublin, the Galway Supporters club are organising a gig in the Harcourt Hotel, Dublin 2 on the eve of the Big Day (Saturday night from 7.30). It's a tenner in and you get an entry into a raffle for tickets for THE matches the following day and lots of other prizes. Great music with the Black cat house band and a DJ afterwards. Galway Bay FM are recording from there that night too.

It was a great night last year - there is a bar to the side for people who want to chat rather than dance.

Gaillimh abu.

Footballers could do with a donie Buckley. Would seriously help backs go man to man. His tackling coaching brought Mayo on in leaps.

• Advertisement

Footballers could do with a donie Buckley. Would seriously help backs go man to man. His tackling coaching brought Mayo on in leaps.

I don't know what's so difficult about tackling properly and going man to man that no one can do it without tons of coaching in the modern era.

The game was played man on man for 100yrs or more. I coach 8yr olds that can tackle better than some inter county players. Why players can't adhere to the simple rules of the tackle is beyond me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement