Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Kelly in midfield has been impressive but doesn't appear to have the biggest engine which would hamper him in that position as he goes up the grades.
    Halloran, Sweeney and Gill have been excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best half of minor football I've seen. Kelly, Sweeney and Halloran unreal.

Desperate crowd for 30mins before throw in.

The manager who learns nothing.

You won't beat Dublin if they're going to win 95% of their kick outs.

They lost one and it was a poor kick from Cluxton to a free player.

Two kick outs won in two games(not counting garbage time)... How can you expect to beat a decent team like that.

Please God Kevin Walsh just leaves... He's out of his depth and has been done time after time when the chips were down.

We're clueless in attack, it's just individual skill making the scores.
    All over the place in defence, nobody responsible anyone so players get free with good movement.

If you can't build a cohesive attack with Comer/Burke/Walsh/Daly you don't deserve them players.

There's some good players there but we're like a junior team coaching wise.

Hard luck to the players, they gave it their all but they're not getting the best they can from the coaching and preparation.

Get an astute coach in there who sees the 5% gains around the pitch and they'll challenge for AIs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

I think the most baffling thing about the Galway system of play is that, despite having 10-11 players back, few if any of them seem to know what they're meant to be doing. They skirt around players and jog somewhere near them without picking them up. Marking space, in my opinion, is a waste of time if all that dominates is confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Disappointed. Felt at half time our chance was gone. Conversion rate I think was Dublin 10/12 Galway 8/17 probably tells it's own story. I always hate if's and but's but that's the way I felt. Longer the game went on the belief and confidence went out of them very quick. Which was disappointing. Still if I was told at the start of the year we would win Connacht Final, be in a League Final and into a semi final of the All Ireland I would of said fair enough. I'll take it. Doesn't feel like that now. A few aren't up to it. Need to face up to that reality and introduce a few more. As a group hopefully they can learn from it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A positive year overall (Connacht title, reached league final, won 2 games in Super 8's) but two fairly meek defeats to end it is inevitably going to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Needed to take the majority of our chances today to push Dublin. Mayo scored 60% of their chances against them last year and still lost. We were at about 40% today. That won't get it done. In the first half alone we missed a penalty and kicked 6 or 7 bad wides. Dublin made some switches at HT and locked down their defence much better in the 2nd half.

Disappointed. Felt at half time our chance was gone. Conversion rate I think was Dublin 10/12 Galway 8/17 probably tells it's own story. I always hate if's and but's but that's the way I felt. Longer the game went on the belief and confidence went out of them very quick. Which was disappointing. Still if I was told at the start of the year we would win Connacht Final, be in a League Final and into a semi final of the All Ireland I would of said fair enough. I'll take it. Doesn't feel like that now. A few aren't up to it. Need to face up to that reality and introduce a few more. As a group hopefully they can learn from it and move on.

It was disappointing how little conviction they started the 2nd half with. They could have rattled Dublin but instead retreated deeper and deeper. They got tired early too. Don't know if that's the exertions of the league catching up or lack of s&c. There's no doubt the Dublins close to professional set up is a huge advantage to them in this regard. Other teams are way behind them but I don't think today's game was particularly taxing.

Heaney won't want to see McCaffrey any time soon. Bet him up a stick today. Seemed like he was taking the ball off him every few minutes.

• Advertisement

Really poor Galway support yesterday. Granted there's a hurling final next week but the footballers deserved more than the meager turnout and it was a good summation of the armchair and sunshiner contingents "backing" Galway football.

No excuses for the showing. Comer caused hell first 10 minutes and he retreated to midfield. That's either tactical naivety or a player that doesn't believe in his management.

Dubs had a free man for every kickout and we were easily dealt with.

We needed huge performances from lads like Kerin, Heaney, Bradshaw, Army and Brannigan to get going and it never happened. Dubs had us at arms-length once Branningan missed the penalty.

Think Walsh and co have done great work and it would be a respectable time to step aside as we have good youngsters and a decent spine. Tactically on the big day we are being found out too often in the most important games. It's been a good year but we've been outclassed by much better teams. I also have no doubt there'd be much more interest in the job than 3/4 years back. That being said Walsh/Silke/Conlon all have pushed the team on from a side that could lose to any top 16 side to a good side that scalped Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Really poor Galway support yesterday. Granted there's a hurling final next week but the footballers deserved more than the meager turnout and it was a good summation of the armchair and sunshiner contingents "backing" Galway football.

No excuses for the showing. Comer caused hell first 10 minutes and he retreated to midfield. That's either tactical naivety or a player that doesn't believe in his management.

We needed huge performances from lads like Kerin, Heaney, Bradshaw, Army and Brannigan to get going and it never happened. Dubs had us at arms-length once Branningan missed the penalty.

Think Walsh and co have done great work and it would be a respectable time to step aside as we have good youngsters and a decent spine. Tactically on the big day we are being found out too often in the most important games. It's been a good year but we've been outclassed by much better teams. I also have no doubt there'd be much more interest in the job than 3/4 years back. That being said Walsh/Silke/Conlon all have pushed the team on from a side that could lose to any top 16 side to a good side that scalped Kerry.

Good year for Galway football overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Support was embarrassing. Team deserved better after the year they had . I came down on the match day train at 840 and it was 40 percent full at best

spurshero wrote: »
    Support was embarrassing. Team deserved better after the year they had . I came down on the match day train at 840 and it was 40 percent full at best
    The drive home was the quietest I've ever seen that motorway on a Saturday evening in my life. Fans let the team down more than vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I have to say after the past 10+ years this year has been a blessing. Unbeaten in the league, beat Mayo (again), Connacht title, beat Kerry in Croker and reached an All-Ireland semi-final. A good up and coming team that are only a few players off properly challenging for an AI. Our style of football isn't easy on the eye, but the result is all that matters, and if we get an AI out of it no one will complain. I don't understand people calling for Kevin Walsh's head, he's transformed us from a soft collection of players to a hardened team. As Diabhal Beag said above, the turn-out yesterday was a disgrace. It was embarrassing to see such a low turnout for a semi final, our first iirc since the glory days. But I do think that is a problem with football as a whole, rather than just with Galway.
    Also, the emergence (finally) of Shane Walsh as a bona fide star cannot be understated. Anyone even a bit familiar with Galway football know his talent and it's brilliant to see him living up to his potential this year. Nailed on for a well-deserved all-star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Two kick outs won in two games(not counting garbage time)... How can you expect to beat a decent team like that.

Please God Kevin Walsh just leaves... He's out of his depth and has been done time after time when the chips were down.

We're clueless in attack, it's just individual skill making the scores.
    All over the place in defence, nobody responsible anyone so players get free with good movement.

If you can't build a cohesive attack with Comer/Burke/Walsh/Daly you don't deserve them players.

There's some good players there but we're like a junior team coaching wise.

Hard luck to the players, they gave it their all but they're not getting the best they can from the coaching and preparation.

Get an astute coach in there who sees the 5% gains around the pitch and they'll challenge for AIs

Personally I'd be inclined to give Kevin Walsh another 2 years if he wanted it.that bunch of players are just maturing nicely and the year they just had should push them on nicely next year.
    Out of interest who would you like to see take over from Kevin Walsh if he did go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Personally I'd be inclined to give Kevin Walsh another 2 years if he wanted it.that bunch of players are just maturing nicely and the year they just had should push them on nicely next year.
    Out of interest who would you like to see take over from Kevin Walsh if he did go.

One would have to think that John Divilly could be in line. Has done very well at Sigerson level over a number of years. Can't really think of any other Galway man who has put in the same ground work to be in a position to be next manager.

People that are calling for Kevin Walsh to go should remember 5 years ago Mayo beat us 17 points in pears stadium when mulholland was in charge . We have beaten Mayo in last 3 championship meetings under
    Walsh . He is entitled to at least one more year . Will need to find at least 3 more players though.

One would have to think that John Divilly could be in line. Has done very well at Sigerson level over a number of years. Can't really think of any other Galway man who has put in the same ground work to be in a position to be next manager.

Definitely Divilly but I think Walsh deserves another year. He'll need to change up the defensive structure as you can't rely on counter attacking to turn over every team. It served a purpose this year in boosting the confidence of a young side new to division one. It's time to evolve the attacking side now.

Another year of s&c will really stand to them too. You need 3 or 4yrs to reach your peak. If he only develops the attacking side and reaches another semi next year he'll have done well and will be remembered fondly as both a player and a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Anyone calling for Kevin Walshe's head would want to have a serious chat with them selves and question what ther real motives are.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Definitely Divilly but I think Walsh deserves another year. He'll need to change up the defensive structure as you can't rely on counter attacking to turn over every team. It served a purpose this year in boosting the confidence of a young side new to division one. It's time to evolve the attacking side now.

Another year of s&c will really stand to them too. You need 3 or 4yrs to reach your peak. If he only develops the attacking side and reaches another semi next year he'll have done well and will be remembered fondly as both a player and a manager.

I'd probably give him another year too. While there are definitely issues around him, he still got a fairly limited group of players to an all ireland semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Personally I would get rid of Walsh.
    The Monaghan game was the one for me that decided that. Whatever about tactics, when you are playing at home, in your own back yard, knowing that you need to win....... it is simply up to the coach to fire them up and they were shocking. I can take defeat, but heart and spirit needs to be shown. Clare had it in defeat in the Hurling.
    The game at home to qualify to play Tyrone/Donegal was crucial and it has set me back on my thoughts going forward. The performance v Monaghan was just not good enough. Yes, we have beaten Mayo (but so did Kildare), yes, we have had a good league campaign but this team is better than we are playing. It was not against the Dubs that made my mind up on that it was the previous week in Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

spurshero wrote: »
    People that are calling for Kevin Walsh to go should remember 5 years ago Mayo beat us 17 points in pears stadium when mulholland was in charge . We have beaten Mayo in last 3 championship meetings under
    Walsh . He is entitled to at least one more year . Will need to find at least 3 more players though.

There's more than enough coming through the pipeline. Besides Kerry I think we're one of the most priveliged counties in that regard. I would certainly keep Walsh on, but what worries me was his hesitancy to commit to his future after the game. Next year is by no means make or break, this team won't realistically reach its peak for 3 years when the trio up front are leading at 28, Daly SAC and Duggan are established players and we've brought through some of the talented youngsters. Not sure we want a situation where one poor semi final again next year leads to upheaval. Hopefully they get a long term commitment from Walsh or else give a newcomer the time to turn this side into a true contender

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There's more than enough coming through the pipeline. Besides Kerry I think we're one of the most priveliged counties in that regard. I would certainly keep Walsh on, but what worries me was his hesitancy to commit to his future after the game. Next year is by no means make or break, this team won't realistically reach its peak for 3 years when the trio up front are leading at 28, Daly SAC and Duggan are established players and we've brought through some of the talented youngsters. Not sure we want a situation where one poor semi final again next year leads to upheaval. Hopefully they get a long term commitment from Walsh or else give a newcomer the time to turn this side into a true contender

Wouldn't keep Walsh on, rate of progress far too slow, and tactically poor. In 3 years time, Duggan will be 30!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

I think the most baffling thing about the Galway system of play is that, despite having 10-11 players back, few if any of them seem to know what they're meant to be doing. They skirt around players and jog somewhere near them without picking them up. Marking space, in my opinion, is a waste of time if all that dominates is confusion.

Could not agree with you more.You summed it up nicely there
    So many players back and Dublin still getting ball with ease

Could not agree with you more.You summed it up nicely there
    So many players back and Dublin still getting ball with ease

When Galway lose, Kevin Walsh gets all the blame for the defensive system.

When Galway win, Paddy Tally gets all the credit for the defensive system.

Hardly seems fair!

I think you really have to push up on Dublin a lot more and be aggressive in your tackling to have any chance against them. Galway were back in their defensive shell but Dublin will just be patient, use the width of the pitch and eventually someone will sneak into a pocket of space and they'll find them and a score will come from it. Galway weren't really putting any pressure on the ball carrier further up the field. Just funneling back filling space but Dublin are too good. They will hold onto the ball and wait for an opening. You really have to engage them further up the field but obviously this might leave gaps at the back but you have to take that chance.

By the way Dublin were getting plenty of players back behind the ball too but Galway were so laboured getting the ball forward. Surely they could have kicked it longer and earlier a bit more often because slowly hand passing the ball into midfield and then laterally just gives Dublin time to get back and set in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

In my opinion Galway were found out by both Dublin and Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Lads let it go. There is no All Ireland in this Galway football team. Dublin and a few others are ahead of them.

Since 2010 Galway are now contesting their 4th All Ireland hurling final, hurling is where it’s at for Galway.

Some achievement to be able to have a football team make a semi final level tho.

• Advertisement

In my opinion Galway were found out by both Dublin and Monaghan.

Well there’s no doubt Dublin we’re a better team . Then again there a better team then everybody else too. Hard to pass judgement on Monaghan game as it wasn’t a must win for one and it was for the other and it showed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement