Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Also no guarantees that Mulkerrin or Jack Canning for the hurlers will be in Ireland in a few months time if their AFL trials went well.

Wasn't aware of Jack Canning.

Assuming he is available for the hurlers he'll probably already be an important player in 2018. As good as 2017 was, if there was one slight issue (that Galway luckily didn't really have to deal with) it's strength in depth up front

Also no guarantees that Mulkerrin or Jack Canning for the hurlers will be in Ireland in a few months time if their AFL trials went well.

The combines aren't really a good gauge tbh.

Its primarily based around tests ie jumping from a spot, running jump, sprint speed etc.

The access the players as athletes by and large and they only play against other lads without any experience.

Different story arriving over there and coming up against lads who are playing since they were kids.

And i believe that only a small handful are even given the chance to go over there for those sort of trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

For the year that's in it I hate admitting I'd prefer if corofin hadn't won Connacht.
    Galway were long enough out of division 1 and need the likes of Ian Burke and silke to get the few results to try and stay up there.
    To have the full panel together for months too would be of great benefit for the year ahead.

Hopefully tally shows them how to work a kickout system. If that was his only legacy it would be enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

jr86 wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of pressure on Sean Andy, I assume it's a case of throw him straight in at FB and essentially hope for the best. Worth a go though

Haven't seen full training panel I wonder have guys like Sean Moran, Mark Rohan Paul Donnellan and Gary Kelly been looked at after stellar club campaigns

I'd like to see them try Kyne at CB. Hes very composed on the ball, rarely wastes it and is powerful and strong but FB doesn't suit him at all. I do see him having the makings of an excellent CB though. Its just a pity mcDaid isn't around to fill in on the flank. Hopefully he gets sick of that other spoof of a game and comes back sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Hi guys, just wondering does anyone know if there would be any galway hurling books/Dvd memorabilia from the 1980's out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

From Tuam Herald

Called up to Galway football squad are Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh (Leitir Mor), Peter Cooke (Moycullen), Sean Kelly (Moycullen), Ronan Boland (Michael Breathnach), Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane), John Maher (Salthil), Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew-Moylough), Rob Finnerty (Salthill), Dessie Conneely (Moycullen), Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown), Frankie Burke (Annaghdown), Evan Wynne (Salthill).

Called up from the past two minor teams are Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann) and Evan Murphy (Salthill).

Back after missing 2017 due to injury are Patrick Sweeney (Killanin) and Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

RD10 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering does anyone know if there would be any galway hurling books/Dvd memorabilia from the 1980's out there?

Sylvie Linnane had an autobiography, pretty sure I seen it in Easons recently as well.

danganabu wrote: »
    Sylvie Linnane had an autobiography, pretty sure I seen it in Easons recently as well.

Twas ****e enough that book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Nice to see Varley back. Decent option for the league with Cummins sidelined and Ian Burke with Corofin. You'd expect Cooke to nail down a starting MF spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Nice to see Varley back. Decent option for the league with Cummins sidelined and Ian Burke with Corofin. You'd expect Cooke to nail down a starting MF spot

Think D'Arcy a better long term bet for midfield; Moycullen lads may tell you Cooke has a lot of flaws in his game. Duggan from Annaghdown there too in an area, (one of many), that needs obvious strengthening. Nice to see Eoin Finnerty there, a good prospect if firing on all cylinders. Ambivalent on Patrick Sweeney returning, adds physical strength but not a huge amount more really. Still, everyone's worth a shot. Where's Paul Varley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From Tuam Herald

Called up to Galway football squad are Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh (Leitir Mor), Peter Cooke (Moycullen), Sean Kelly (Moycullen), Ronan Boland (Michael Breathnach), Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane), John Maher (Salthil), Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew-Moylough), Rob Finnerty (Salthill), Dessie Conneely (Moycullen), Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown), Frankie Burke (Annaghdown), Evan Wynne (Salthill).

Called up from the past two minor teams are Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann) and Evan Murphy (Salthill).

Back after missing 2017 due to injury are Patrick Sweeney (Killanin) and Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks).

Some strange names in that list. Frankie Burke? Had a very good club championship but at around 30/31, is it really worth it?? Not convinced about darcy but I haven't seen enough of him. I thought a couple more Mountbellew lads might get a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

RD10 wrote: »

It would be worth enquiring with the county board. I remember watching a video a good few years ago on the history of Galway hurling going back to late 80s, early 90s. Couldn't tell you the name of it but they may be able to put you in touch with someone who'd have a copy of it.

Some strange names in that list. Frankie Burke? Had a very good club championship but at around 30/31, is it really worth it?? Not convinced about darcy but I haven't seen enough of him. I thought a couple more Mountbellew lads might get a call.

Why do you believe Frankie Burkes age matters? If he just happened to be good enough to come on as a sub and grab a point or two and Galway win games isn't that all that matters? Galway haven't set the world alight for a long time so I don't buy any of that "going with youth" stuff that people peddle. If a lad proves himself to be good enough then age means **** all. If younger lads are better, then they'll get their chance to shine.

Frankie Burke had a good club championship but even at his peak he's not inter-county standard imo. Training Panel will be open ended enough I'm sure. I'd be shocked if I saw Frankie Burke starting on the team when Division 1 starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

jam83 wrote: »
    Why do you believe Frankie Burkes age matters? If he just happened to be good enough to come on as a sub and grab a point or two and Galway win games isn't that all that matters? Galway haven't set the world alight for a long time so I don't buy any of that "going with youth" stuff that people peddle. If a lad proves himself to be good enough then age means **** all. If younger lads are better, then they'll get their chance to shine.

I'd imagine the point he's making is that FB will hardly get in the team anyway so it'd make far more sense go for a much younger equivalent, who can develop into a regular starter in the coming years.

I agree with him, it seems a strange call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Shame it didn't really work out but it was asking too much of him to ever be fully county-fit again I feel. Finian Hanley gone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

It would be worth enquiring with the county board. I remember watching a video a good few years ago on the history of Galway hurling going back to late 80s, early 90s. Couldn't tell you the name of it but they may be able to put you in touch with someone who'd have a copy of it.

The West’s awake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

A great video to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've said it on here before but it's an awful shame that Hanley's prime was when Galway were a shambles of a team that could lose to anybody in the country in a qualifier. He was exposed due to lack of cover centrally, in his corners and as fullback took the brunt of the abuse. He's a gentleman off the pitch and one of the highlights in recent years as a football fan was seeing his mother beaming with pride on the bus home from Tullamore after they beat Tipp in what was the most significant result in a long time for Galway football at the time.

As for Meehan it was clearly a massive boost to the panel that he was able to rejoin and train when possible. Holding him back in the Kerry match was probably the right call as the reception he was given by the supporters in Sligo was fantastic. He has his club and under-21 all irelands, a few Nestors but if it wasn't for injuries who knows how far he could've dragged us.

• Advertisement

I've said it on here before but it's an awful shame that Hanley's prime was when Galway were a shambles of a team that could lose to anybody in the country in a qualifier. He was exposed due to lack of cover centrally, in his corners and as fullback took the brunt of the abuse. He's a gentleman off the pitch and one of the highlights in recent years as a football fan was seeing his mother beaming with pride on the bus home from Tullamore after they beat Tipp in what was the most significant result in a long time for Galway football at the time.

As for Meehan it was clearly a massive boost to the panel that he was able to rejoin and train when possible. Holding him back in the Kerry match was probably the right call as the reception he was given by the supporters in Sligo was fantastic. He has his club and under-21 all irelands, a few Nestors but if it wasn't for injuries who knows how far he could've dragged us.

Hanley was a fantastic servant to Galway. Still think Walsh treated him very harshly by leaving him on the bench so often. But he stuck around, togging out as a sub in FBD games. He was an extremely under-rated player.

Saw Meehan play a few times for Caltra earlier in the year and it was very apparent that he was way off the pace for inter county. It is a shamhe the way his career panned out but he delivered some serious performances for Galway. Looking at the clips on youtube, his ability to turn a man quickly is unreal! I had forgotten how good he was. Also, people talk about his goal against Cork a lot. But I love his reaction straight after when he asks the ref if there's time for one more score. To add to the stuff you mentioned, he also captained Jarlaths to a Hogan cup so he has gotten a fair bit out of his career.

Meehan was injured and unable to line-out v Kerry, so there was to be no swan-song there.

For as long as Galway's chronic defensive problems remain they are still quite likely to lose to many teams in the country, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford man here

tonight, 2morrow and all over Xmas is when u as Galway supporters can lie back and rejoice finally seeing ur team life the Senior All Ireland

enjoy ur xmas and hopefully we will be meeting each other again down the road

First Galway football team for the year named for FBD v Sligo

1. Ronan Ó Beoláin (Micheál Breathnach)
    2. Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna Leitir Móir)
    4. Evan Wynne (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    5. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
    6. Johnny Duane (St. James')
    7. David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
    8. Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    9. Kieran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    10. John Maher (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    11. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
    12. Sean Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
    13. Frankie Burke (Annaghdown)
    14. Patrick Sweeney (Killannin)
    15. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

First Galway football team for the year named for FBD v Sligo

1. Ronan Ó Beoláin (Micheál Breathnach)
    2. Declan Kyne (Clonbur)
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna Leitir Móir)
    4. Evan Wynne (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    5. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
    6. Johnny Duane (St. James')
    7. David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
    8. Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    9. Kieran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    10. John Maher (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    11. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
    12. Sean Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
    13. Frankie Burke (Annaghdown)
    14. Patrick Sweeney (Killannin)
    15. Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

Duggan was very good in the club championship for Annaghdown and deserves a few games in FBD to see what he can do.

Not a team to set the pulse racing but with at least 4 games in the competition everyone should get game time. I think the colleges being out of the competition this year is healthy for us in the lead up to the league. The games will be far more competitive and worthwhile. Plus playing Sligo, Leitrim and GMIT in the FBD every year has got very repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

One of my favourite moment's in the last 10 disappointing years of Galway football came from that qualifier in the stadium when some Armagh lad was abusing Sice over by the terrace and within a second Sice planted him on his arse. You could tell a lot of players saw it and supporters the motivation went through the roof.

Took him a little while to get up to speed in senior but he gave his all in maroon. Not flashy by any means but he had a good eye for goal. He could easily have retired in the aftermath of any of the last 3 years but he stuck on under Walsh.

All the best to him in retirement.

Galway team v Mayo

Ruairi Lavelle (Renvyle)
    Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna Leitir Mor)
    Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
    Cathal Sweeney (Killanin)
    Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
    Johnny Duane (St James)
    Paul Conroy (St James)
    Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    Eamonn Brannigan (St Michael's)
    Peter Cooke (Moycullen)
    Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
    Barry McHugh (Mountbellew Moylough)
    Patrick Sweeney (Killanin)
    Padraic Cunningham (Headford)

Galway team v Mayo

Ruairi Lavelle (Renvyle)
    Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna Leitir Mor)
    Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
    Cathal Sweeney (Killanin)
    Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
    Johnny Duane (St James)
    Paul Conroy (St James)
    Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    Eamonn Brannigan (St Michael's)
    Peter Cooke (Moycullen)
    Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
    Barry McHugh (Mountbellew Moylough)
    Patrick Sweeney (Killanin)
    Padraic Cunningham (Headford)

The full back line is potentially the strongest line of that team.

• Advertisement

The full back line is potentially the strongest line of that team.

Don't think Mulkerrin is really a corner-back though. He's always been a full-back for Galway through underage and plays centre-back for the club. Not easy on a young lad to be introduced to senior intercounty football out of position. Albeit it's only FBD. Maybe they want to see if he can play in the corner. I think he's a bit tall for that position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement