Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tuohy, Harte and Coen all very unlucky to miss out imo.

I though Hanbury was better than Tuohy to be honest. Tuohy conceded too many frees over the course of the Summer for my liking. Not that he was bad but Hanbury made less errors. Plus Hanbury's distribution out of defence was really good. Tuohy probably a bit quicker alright.

You could make cases for them and Joseph Cooney. Coen too although he had stiff competition up against Barron and David Burke. Especially after Burke's final performance which made up for his poor game in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

jam83 wrote: »
    This crap of putting lads in positions they didn't play in needs to stop. Padraig mannion will be chalked down as an all star at right corner back but that's only so mark Coleman can get on the team. They should pick the 2 best wing backs out of maher, mannion and Coleman and leave it at that. Which for me is mannion and maher.

Fully agree on this. The problem here is the media trying to accommodate players they have put on pedestals throughout the year. Coleman was very good this year, I repeat very good, but an All-Star? not in my opinion. He has already become a media darling, thanks mainly to the constant praise from Duignan. He seems to be one of these players that if he only touches the ball 2/3 times in a game he is deemed as outstanding. Contrast this to his senior and U21 team-mate Fitzgibbon,also 19, who I and many thought was absolutely immense this year, but seems less flashy/media friendly than Coleman. Of course we will be told that Burke/Barron were 'nailed down' at midfield so nobody blinks an eye when Fitzgibbon isn't 'accommodated.
    An argument could also be made that Maher is rather lucky, Tipp lost the 2 big games they played. Many will argue that Maher was Tipp's best player and are probably right but by that logic surely Shane O'Donnell of Clare should also be a front-runner.
    If we think that the hurling selection is strange just wait for the football when some of the 'usual suspects' will be 'accommodated' by their media buddies.
    This practice has completely devalued the once much vaunted All-Star award.
    The 'silly season' is well and truly upon us.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

washman3 wrote: »
    An argument could also be made that Maher is rather lucky, Tipp lost the 2 big games they played. Many will argue that Maher was Tipp's best player and are probably right but by that logic surely Shane O'Donnell of Clare should also be a front-runner.

Lol if they were picking four teams Shane O'Donnell wouldn't be on any of them, funny that you mention media darlings and then O'Donnell in the next breath:D

Yes Tipp were disappointing as a team but the reality is that they got to the League Final, narrowly lost the best game of the Munster Championship and were beaten by an injury time wonder point by the eventual champions in an AI semi, and Paraic Maher was there best player in every game they played. Clare on the other hand haven't won a meaningful game in 4 years, a Wexford player for example would have been a far more appropriate comparison.

danganabu wrote: »
    Lol if they were picking four teams Shane O'Donnell wouldn't be on any of them, funny that you mention media darlings and then O'Donnell in the next breath:D

Yes Tipp were disappointing as a team but the reality is that they got to the League Final, narrowly lost the best game of the Munster Championship and were beaten by an injury time wonder point by the eventual champions in an AI semi, and Paraic Maher was there best player in every game they played. Clare on the other hand haven't won a meaningful game in 4 years, a Wexford player for example would have been a far more appropriate comparison.

Just using SOD to explain some of the logic used in selecting all-stars.
    Could easily have said Lee Chin instead. Just said SOD because he was MOM this year V Limerick albeit a very mediocre/disjointed Limerick side. He also played very well in Clare's other 2 games this year despite the fact that Clare's tactics are totally unsuitable to him. If he is a bit of a 'media darling' we must remember that he scored 3 goals in 20 mins in an A.I. final. Injury coupled with Davy's silly tactics have not been kind to him since.
    And I agree that its baffling that not a single Wexford player has not been selected.
    As for Maher, I thought he was only average in the league final, but we are told that League or earlier rounds don't matter. Best player in every Tipp game.? Noel McGrath may not agree...:P

As for Maher, I thought he was only average in the league final, but we are told that League or earlier rounds don't matter. Best player in every Tipp game.? Noel McGrath may not agree...:P

Average was better than the other 14 the same day :D That would be Noel McGrath who was dropped mid-season, which game do you think he was better than Maher in?

• Advertisement

Average was better than the other 14 the same day :D That would be Noel McGrath who was dropped mid-season, which game do you think he was better than Maher in?

Dropped mid season doesn't matter. its the big games that count, or so the media experts tell us. Look at Colm Boyle, substituted in every Mayo game but PERFORMED when it mattered and fully deserved his All-Star.
    But of course this logic is forgotten when it comes to the 'media darlings'.
    Do you think its ok for Mannion to be picked at corner back to accommodate Coleman at 7.?
    Then we might as well accommodate Anthony Nash at corner forward.

Dropped mid season doesn't matter. its the big games that count, or so the media experts tell us. Look at Colm Boyle, substituted in every Mayo game but PERFORMED when it mattered and fully deserved his All-Star.
    But of course this logic is forgotten when it comes to the 'media darlings'.
    Do you think its ok for Mannion to be picked at corner back to accommodate Coleman at 7.?
    Then we might as well accommodate Anthony Nash at corner forward.

Oh I absolutely agree with your original point, just didn't agree with your assertion that Maher was lucky. Hanbury/Touhy are the unlucky ones.

I think they felt that Cork had to have more than one for the revival, Munster Champions etc and when SOK was picked ahead of Nash they had to fit Coleman in somewhere, it's not as if his inclusion is ludicrous or anything just where he is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think they felt that Cork had to have more than one for the revival, Munster Champions etc and when SOK was picked ahead of Nash they had to fit Coleman in somewhere, it's not as if his inclusion is ludicrous or anything just where he is included.

The whole thing is kind of flawed in that sense. Cork and Waterford beat each other, with Cork winning a tougher slate of games bar that, picking up silverware and Waterford losing an extra game. Yet it's Waterford ending up with far more. It's probably to a greater extent in the football, where Tyrone hammer everyone they meet until Dublin and get one, whereas Mayo with 2 wins, 2 losses and 4 draws (winning ET/replays) get 6. Obviously it's individual performances but I think you can make strong cases for the like of Nash, Sludden etc and they're a victim of team progress

Many will argue that Maher was Tipp's best player and are probably right

This is part of my original post. My whole point is the LOGIC used for selection.
    Anyone that saw him last Sunday cannot question his ability, but there were other players this year that were outstanding too for their counties but were ignored for even a nomination.
    As for Cork's revival, I would argue that Fitzgibbon was far more central to it than Coleman was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

This is part of my original post. My whole point is the LOGIC used for selection.
    Anyone that saw him last Sunday cannot question his ability, but there were other players this year that were outstanding too for their counties but were ignored for even a nomination.
    As for Cork's revival, I would argue that Fitzgibbon was far more central to it than Coleman was.

Coleman to me was Corks best player in Munster. Had a bad day in the all ireland semi final, but they didn't have that many shining lights. Some might have felt Lehane was on for hurler of the year before that game for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Galway hurlers are having a hard job to try and hold on to their s&c coach,just as Donohoe did to tipp a couple of other counties are now after his signature.hope he stays,money talks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Cathalachs wrote: »
    Galway hurlers are having a hard job to try and hold on to their s&c coach,just as Donohoe did to tipp a couple of other counties are now after his signature.hope he stays,money talks!!

Well worth holding on to that lad. Its no coincidence that he was involved with the last two winners of the all ireland. Surely for a county like Galway we should look to retain him with a view to putting programmes in place for underage teams and even the footballers. Surely hes earned a 3 yr contract on favourable terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

I for one think that David burke was lucky. Moran played at midfield but had 10 on his back, so to accommodate Burke they selected him at wing foward..

Condenser wrote: »
    Well worth holding on to that lad. Its no coincidence that he was involved with the last two winners of the all ireland. Surely for a county like Galway we should look to retain him with a view to putting programmes in place for underage teams and even the footballers. Surely hes earned a 3 yr contract on favourable terms.

I think the problem may be he is employed on a part time basis,
    the interested counties are willing to offer him a full time contract.
    It would be great if he could work with the footballers too,
    but I think it's a case of 1 dog 1 bone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

Everything fell into place this year. Definitely S&C made a difference. Also I was struck by MD handing responsibility to the lads on the pitch. 2 points down in the second half and the senior players had a chat and said enough was enough -this was going to be our year and we were not going to let it slip - thats what you need. All the prep in the world gets you there but when the bell tolls half way thru second half or ten mins to go you have to have guys like Joe and David B who man up.
    Still happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

First time poster to this but long time follower! Anyone following the Junior A hurling championship, some decent games this year gone by! Should be an interesting county final!

This is a piece from sports ireland earlier this year.

Can Lukasz Kirszenstein bring All-Ireland success to Galway hurlers?
    By MartinFurlong

Lukasz Kirszenstein is the strength and conditioning coach of the Galway hurlers. Last season he was involved with the Tipperary side that walked the steps of the Hogan.
    He is one of the best S & C coaches in Irish sport and we ask, will his influence help Galway lift the Liam McCarthy trophy in September?
    Galway have always been aa team as far as I can remember, a side who always produced skilful hurlers and were always a joy to watch. I remember Kevin Broderick soloing through the Kilkenny defence in the All-Ireland semi-final of 2001 to the many episodes of outrages skill from Joe Canning in recent years. While Galway have come so close especially in 2012, they have not won an All-Ireland title since 1988.
    ▼Scroll for more▼
    Its’ hard to point out why it’s been such a wait. In recent years the Kilkenny dominance has made it difficult for any side to make a breakthrough although the one side that Kilkenny found difficult to manage was Galway. In the aforementioned 2001 game against Kilkenny, Galway defeated the cats but then were defeated by Tipperary. Consistency has been an issue with Galway. They seem to be able to put in one big game but fail to keep it going into the next game. A problem which could be argued about the current All-Ireland champions Tipperary up until last year.
    One of the key cogs in any backroom staff in modern GAA is the strength and conditioning coach. Tipperary in 2016 appointed Lukasz Kirszenstein, a Polish native who had previous experience working with the Irish woman’s rugby team, Munster rugby and with the U21 Limerick hurlers in 2012.
    Prior to the All-Ireland final last year, Padraic Maher gave a ringing endorsement of Kirszenstein in an interview with the gaa.ie, “A lot of other years I have, working with the trainers, concentrated on lifting a lot of weights. While that has all been fine, we have changed our exercises where it is a lot more explosive which suits me a lot more. Some other lads might want to get bulkier but this suited me more to get more mobile on the field and I feel that I have been. It has helped my hurling too, again it comes with experience and year after year you are learning new things and it’s suiting at the moment so long may it continue. We work one on one with Lukasz and try new things and it’s kind of working at the moment and thank God I am staying injury free at the moment and that’s the main thing. The fitness levels are up as well for this time of the year especially, the boys are in good shape, and Lucasz has done great work with us all, again he is there to do things one on one which is great.”
    Maher would go on to win his fourth all-star and more importantly another All-Ireland medal. Maher was always a physically gifted but he along with his Tipperary teammates, but in 2016 looked a lot leaner and pacier than in previous seasons.
    In previous season’ Tipp could not live up to the power of Kilkenny but in 2016 the tables were turned as Tipp physically dominated Kilkenny, with their ability to break a tackle being a standout feature. The same can be said about the Galway hurlers. In the victory over Dublin the movement of the forwards, in particular, caused a lot of trouble to the Dublin defence. Joe Canning who covered a huge amount of ground and is in tremendous shape considering his career was almost ended last year with a hamstring injury.
    What is Tipp’s loss is Galway’s gain? It is clear with the level of performances of the Galway hurlers and the great condition that they are in, the appointment of Kirszenstein maybe Micheál Donoghue most valuable inclusion to his backroom staff. When you consider how close Galway was to beating the eventual All-Ireland champions last year in the semi-final (a one-point defeat), the appointment of Kirszenstein may be the edge that Galway needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Pretty poor fare in the semis yesterday I thought. Granted it wasn’t conditions for forwards, but it really shows the drop in overall standard of the Championship.

The lack of County Players showed overall I thought, but most of the better individual displays did come in the first match. Ronan Elwood and Ja Mannion in particular shined and I can see both being looked at in the Walsh Cup.
    Cappy started far too nervous and never got into it from there. Mellows were ok, they’re a lot tougher than previous seasons but really should have driven on in the second half. Cappy missed a 65 in front of the goal which would have ensured a (undeserving tbh) draw.

Mellows half-back line was strong but midfield was overran in the second half. On the basis of the year overall they’re deserving finalists and it’s about time given the pick they have, but the replay should stand to the winner the other side.

And once more Craughwell despite doing all the hurling from 40 minutes onwards can’t get over the line. Four years in a row now they’ve failed to eke out key knock-out matches despite being the better team, and you would wonder is it a chance missed. That said they were 4 points down early in the second half and Gort missed a sitter at the finish.

Think Craughwell’s younger players found the going very tough, and their defensive system meant they could never get the best out of Healy and Monaghan up front.

For Gort, Harte was held well and they couldn’t get any change out of Craughwell’s defence. That said a few small moments (a block down from a poor clearance creating a 65 late in the first half comes to mind) and some Jason Grealish super long-range scores kept them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭threeball

First time poster to this but long time follower! Anyone following the Junior A hurling championship, some decent games this year gone by! Should be an interesting county final!

The Sylane Craughwell game was a good game. Sylane should have won it by much more than they did. Haven't seen Larkins play at all so don't know how they look. Be good for the game to see a team from North Galway go intermediate. Hurling has been making inroads into traditional football territory in Galway over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Pretty poor fare in the semis yesterday I thought. Granted it wasn’t conditions for forwards, but it really shows the drop in overall standard of the Championship.

The lack of County Players showed overall I thought, but most of the better individual displays did come in the first match. Ronan Elwood and Ja Mannion in particular shined and I can see both being looked at in the Walsh Cup.
    Cappy started far too nervous and never got into it from there. Mellows were ok, they’re a lot tougher than previous seasons but really should have driven on in the second half. Cappy missed a 65 in front of the goal which would have ensured a (undeserving tbh) draw.

Mellows half-back line was strong but midfield was overran in the second half. On the basis of the year overall they’re deserving finalists and it’s about time given the pick they have, but the replay should stand to the winner the other side.

And once more Craughwell despite doing all the hurling from 40 minutes onwards can’t get over the line. Four years in a row now they’ve failed to eke out key knock-out matches despite being the better team, and you would wonder is it a chance missed. That said they were 4 points down early in the second half and Gort missed a sitter at the finish.

Think Craughwell’s younger players found the going very tough, and their defensive system meant they could never get the best out of Healy and Monaghan up front.

For Gort, Harte was held well and they couldn’t get any change out of Craughwell’s defence. That said a few small moments (a block down from a poor clearance creating a 65 late in the first half comes to mind) and some Jason Grealish super long-range scores kept them in it.

Conditions certainly mitigated against fast, open hurling. Cappy were game enough and aren't too bad a team at all - in a couple of years if they all stay together they could be regular 1/4-finalists at least. Mellows seem to improve a small bit every outing and all these close games will stand to them in the final. They won't fear the opposition I think, whoever they are.

I wouldn't begrudge Craughwell a county final win, but a bit like Waterford and the sweeper system, they're a hard team to like. They tend to sit deep and over-rely on Niall Healy for scores and frees. Gort have their own woes up front but should have really pushed on when they went a goal up after the interval. A few class scores from Grealish nearly saw them home; a have a feeling Harte will be deployed nearer the middle for the replay (next Sunday in Athenry). I think Gort can improve more from yesterday and I tip them to advance.

• Advertisement

Cillian McDaid has signed a 2 year contract with Carlton in Australia. Big loss to the footballers. Was superb for the U-21's this year and would have been in the senior squad for 2018. Can't begrudge a young lad going there. Might be back one day yet.

threeball wrote: »
    The Sylane Craughwell game was a good game. Sylane should have won it by much more than they did. Haven't seen Larkins play at all so don't know how they look. Be good for the game to see a team from North Galway go intermediate. Hurling has been making inroads into traditional football territory in Galway over the last few years.

Nice to see an up and coming team like Sylane in the final, from what I hear they have serious work put into their underage and it's paying off for them now coming up the ranks! A small village that never gets a look in county player wise, I would love to see them winning Sunday and be givin a shot at intermediate, they have lost at semi final stage a few times so be nice to see them progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭threeball

Cillian McDaid has signed a 2 year contract with Carlton in Australia. Big loss to the footballers. Was superb for the U-21's this year and would have been in the senior squad for 2018. Can't begrudge a young lad going there. Might be back one day yet.
    They never come back the same though. Look at Tommy Walsh and numerous others who spent any significant time out there playing that abortion of a game. Its destroyed some great players. Even Kennelly who the aussies regarded as a good AFL player only made that kerry team because of his auld fella. He was rubbish besides that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Probably should've been utilised more by the seniors this year.

threeball wrote: »
    They never come back the same though. Look at Tommy Walsh and numerous others who spent any significant time out there playing that abortion of a game. Its destroyed some great players. Even Kennelly who the aussies regarded as a good AFL player only made that kerry team because of his auld fella. He was rubbish besides that.

True. Would be great to see McDaid back if things don't work out for him but he seemed very determined to go. He went to every AFL trial that was going the past 18 months or so. Even if things don't work out with Carlton I imagine he'll hope that another club will give him a chance after that. Difficult to see him back home anytime soon.

I watch a lot of it and you need to be a particular character to make it besides the skill set.

You have to go into challenges where there's a clear risk of getting knocked out or worse.

With his size and skill set he's going to have to be very doged and skilled on the ball to last it out as the only positions you can survive with a limited skill set would be a marking goal kicker/tagger or ruck man... basically none he'd fit into.

Fellas of his size have to be the play makers.

He'll go straight into the VFL team and he'll have to be a stand out performer there to even get a consideration for the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Nice to see an up and coming team like Sylane in the final, from what I hear they have serious work put into their underage and it's paying off for them now coming up the ranks! A small village that never gets a look in county player wise, I would love to see them winning Sunday and be givin a shot at intermediate, they have lost at semi final stage a few times so be nice to see them progress!

Don't they have Brady back hurling with them now. His addition would surely help. To good to be playing that level

I watch a lot of it and you need to be a particular character to make it besides the skill set.

You have to go into challenges where there's a clear risk of getting knocked out or worse.

With his size and skill set he's going to have to be very doged and skilled on the ball to last it out as the only positions you can survive with a limited skill set would be a marking goal kicker/tagger or ruck man... basically none he'd fit into.

Fellas of his size have to be the play makers.

He'll go straight into the VFL team and he'll have to be a stand out performer there to even get a consideration for the senior team.

His size always made me think he'd be seriously up against it unless he picks up the skills very quickly. I'm sure he'll bulk up but I think it will be a struggle for him to honest. I think he'll be back but a few years away might not do his chances of a good GAA playing career any good. Fair play to him for trying though.

Don't they have Brady back hurling with them now. His addition would surely help. To good to be playing that level

I think they do have him back yes, but no one man ever made a winning team is what I think, more than Brady there deserving of a shout out, lads that stuck it out wen they were struggling and are still there, they deserve it as far as I can see, really hoping for them and I'm a neutral supporter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I think they do have him back yes, but no one man ever made a winning team is what I think, more than Brady there deserving of a shout out, lads that stuck it out wen they were struggling and are still there, they deserve it as far as I can see, really hoping for them and I'm a neutral supporter!

Maybe he is the man to get them over the line, his experience would be invaluable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement