Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Unfortunately craughwell again came up short today. Gort mellows final, 50/50 I would think. Would be great for city hurling if mellows were to win.

Stayed behind for the A final today. Sylane finally get the monkey off the back. Maybe they would have done it without him but Brady was immense for his club today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gort good value for the win today. Let Craughwell back in it a bit in the last 5 minutes when they could have been out of site. Harte and Greg Lally (who scored a couple of long range frees) fairly destroyed Craughwell and Grealish was lively too. Craughwell's best chance of winning a county in recent years probably the Sarsfield loss. Lads like the Healys and Cullinane not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Unfortunately craughwell again came up short today. Gort mellows final, 50/50 I would think. Would be great for city hurling if mellows were to win.

Stayed behind for the A final today. Sylane finally get the monkey off the back. Maybe they would have done it without him but Brady was immense for his club today.
    No way 50 50 final. Gort fairly warm favourites. Today's game will stand to them too . Mellows will need forwards to really up there game to have a good chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Great win by Sylane. Played some nice hurling and were much the better team. Great to see a North galway team progressing and they'll do well at intermediate with what's coming through from their underage teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Ah now 50/50 is really pushing it. I like mellows but would be amazed if Gort didn't win it

Full credit to them today, really stood up. Harte absolutely ran the show after being quiet last week

Probably the end of an era for this craughwell team who really should have hoovered up at least one county title the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Claregalway were beaten by a strong Michael Glaveys team in the Connacht Intermediate Football final yesterday by 8 points. Glaveys could well go far, but that game seemed to be an indication of Claregalway's struggles when teams stand up to them physically. They really couldn't cope with the Glaveys big full forward Glennon and the two midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wild Atlantic Gal

threeball wrote: »
    Great win by Sylane. Played some nice hurling and were much the better team. Great to see a North galway team progressing and they'll do well at intermediate with what's coming through from their underage teams.

Brilliant win by them, and well deserved, I think I heard a player after the match bein interviewed by Galway bay fm and this is why I'm delighted for them, they are 26 years tryin to move up from junior, and that momentum is everything for them, they're on a roll now so hopefully this'll be the push that gets them further, couldn't agree more with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Brilliant win by them, and well deserved, I think I heard a player after the match bein interviewed by Galway bay fm and this is why I'm delighted for them, they are 26 years tryin to move up from junior, and that momentum is everything for them, they're on a roll now so hopefully this'll be the push that gets them further, couldn't agree more with him.

Junior can be harder to break out of than intermediate. I know my football club was decades in junior and went senior after 3-4yrs at intermediate. Its hard to quantify why that is. Perhaps lads can see the light at the end of the tunnel and its easier to push on to try to get to the big stage. Often its just a special group that come together.
    They certainly seem to be heading in the right direction.

https://www.facebook.com/offtheball/videos/10159699668800441/

Not an easy watch but fair play to the Donohues, Conor Whelan and the rest for doing this. Francie Donohue in particular has a very frank and honest processing of the death which is heartbreaking.

Nice to remember him on such a big week in hurling here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Worrying news for Galway GAA. Jack Canning attended the AFL Draft Combine in UCD today. Huge fears that this fine talented young hurler and
    who is also a very good rugby player may consider quitting the small ball game for the oval ball. Here is a link of this story below.

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/278761

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

https://www.facebook.com/offtheball/videos/10159699668800441/

Not an easy watch but fair play to the Donohues, Conor Whelan and the rest for doing this. Francie Donohue in particular has a very frank and honest processing of the death which is heartbreaking.

Nice to remember him on such a big week in hurling here.

So incredibly sad. You can just imagine how happy he would have been this year when Galway won the AI - it just makes the whole story so much sadder :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

So incredibly sad. You can just imagine how happy he would have been this year when Galway won the AI - it just makes the whole story so much sadder :-(

Very sad. Article here too by Malachy Clerkin

Life after death: Remembering Galway's Niall Donohue
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/life-after-death-remembering-galway-s-niall-donohue-1.3312466

Tadhg Haran is absolutely battering Gort here. He hit two sidelines from different sides and a super goal. Could be a biggish upset here.

Collins cleaning up high ball in the last 15 too.

Why did Conor kavanagh switch from kinvara to mellowes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Was laughed out the door here 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

jam83 wrote: »
    Why did Conor kavanagh switch from kinvara to mellowes?

To win a county cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Was laughed out the door here 2 weeks ago

to be fair no one really saw today coming , not in that manor anyway , louis mulqueen is a top manager too and has some CV developed for himself over the last 4 or 5 years

spurshero wrote: »
    To win a county cup

Strange one.
    Kinvara would be glad of a lad of his calibre to win an intermediate county cup unless there was some falling out.

to be fair no one really saw today coming , not in that manor anyway , louis mulqueen is a top manager too and has some CV developed for himself over the last 4 or 5 years

Indeed, Gort were 2/5 unbackable favourites according to the Tribune.

He's done a tremendous job, this has been a Mellows side who always had so much potential but underachieved so much over the past few years. They were fighting relegation more than fighting for the title, and with a plethora of talent at their disposal. It's a funny game though, Clarinbridge really should have disposed of them in the quarters - a few weeks later they're county champions! Small margins

Wasn't the best of matches overall, Gort for all the talent they have are limited enough when it comes down to it, that's two years in a row now they've been very poor in a final, it's a lot of hit and hope with them and they're not getting the best out of a lot of players. That said they probably played the better hurling in the first half but two (wholly preventable) goals was enough for Mellows

It's the 5th different winner in a row and the Championship is definitely wide open for the foreseeable future, so good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

MfMan wrote: »
    Tom's defeat has fairly opened it up. Portumna could take beating but are not the force of old either I think. Gort will fancy their chances again, but a dark-horse team I think could be Mellows, providing they can field near enough their strongest available team. Lot of good players there. Turlough' should be fairly kicking themselves for being thrown out, would have had a really good chance I maintain.

Surprisingly, at time of writing, going through the All-Ireland winning team and subs, only Harte, JC, Joe Cooney, Flynn, (any more?) remain in the domestic championship. Not a bad augur for the county team maybe.

Ahem.
    Wagered them too.

:):)

• Advertisement

Nice shout.

I think I might have replied to your post at the time about how I felt winterly conditions wouldn't suit Mellows and that they'd peaked too early. I was at their group games and while they impressed, conditions were very favourable throughout

Ok, they weren't as emphatic in the knock-out stages but they didn't need to be - and they showed an admirable level of resolve and steel. It's a cliche but the way the Club Championship is structured around County hurling, there really is two separate Championships in the one each year - spanning the 4 seasons

Mulqueen has done a heroic job with them

Will Gort start to fade now starting from next year? Lally isn't the same player since his cruciate, and they really can't seem to get the very best out of Grealish and Cummins. I think they more-so made the last two finals out of experience and nous rather than any hurling superiority. They lost 3 matches this year, remember.

For the 3rd year in a row, Craughwell are probably the team really kicking themselves again

With a 33/1 winner this year and a 5th different champion on the bounce, value hunters will already be looking ahead to next year. There's probably up to about 10 realistic contenders anymore.

Mellows, Gort, Portumna, St. Thomas', Turloughmore, Craughwell, Cappy, Sarsfields, Loughrea, Clarinbridge - it wouldn't shock me to see any of them winning in 2018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Smart money on Turloughmore for 2018. Hear they have a high profile manager lined up.

The beauty of Turlough is that they could be playing super hurling but still make a hames of the paperwork and get thrown out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Nice shout.

I think I might have replied to your post at the time about how I felt winterly conditions wouldn't suit Mellows and that they'd peaked too early. I was at their group games and while they impressed, conditions were very favourable throughout

Ok, they weren't as emphatic in the knock-out stages but they didn't need to be - and they showed an admirable level of resolve and steel. It's a cliche but the way the Club Championship is structured around County hurling, there really is two separate Championships in the one each year - spanning the 4 seasons

Mulqueen has done a heroic job with them

Will Gort start to fade now starting from next year? Lally isn't the same player since his cruciate, and they really can't seem to get the very best out of Grealish and Cummins. I think they more-so made the last two finals out of experience and nous rather than any hurling superiority. They lost 3 matches this year, remember.

For the 3rd year in a row, Craughwell are probably the team really kicking themselves again

With a 33/1 winner this year and a 5th different champion on the bounce, value hunters will already be looking ahead to next year. There's probably up to about 10 realistic contenders anymore.

Mellows, Gort, Portumna, St. Thomas', Turloughmore, Craughwell, Cappy, Sarsfields, Loughrea, Clarinbridge - it wouldn't shock me to see any of them winning in 2018

Wouldn't necessarily agree re: Craughwell; when it came down to it, they were too reliant on Niall Healy for scoring. Don't think they would have made any better fist of it yesterday. As others have suggested, Turlough' should really be kicking themselves; they have plenty of talent, lot of good players for every line. They really owe it to themselves to come out firing next year and realise their potential.

Gort's sideline didn't help themselves yesterday either I think; took off a few attacking players who would be good for a score in the later stages. Was Aidan Helebert U-21 this year? Was in the States for a while in the summer; may have made the difference for Galway v Limerick in the semi'.

Yeah he was under 21 this year but was away, I'm sure they'll have a look at him in Walsh Cup and maybe National League

I think lining up so orthodox was a large part of Gort's downfall yesterday, they left their FB line very exposed. Callinan, Tadhg haran, Kavanagh and Adrian Morrissey will do damage to any team with space. They didn't learn their lesson from 2014 when Gerard O'Donoghue had to bail them out after conceding 4 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

djPSB wrote: »
    Smart money on Turloughmore for 2018. Hear they have a high profile manager lined up.
    I think your best served to leave your money in your pocket, Turlough have allot of sorting out to do before they can launch a serious challenge at a cup and since its introduction no senior'b' team have made it past the quarter finals and I can't see this changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/walsh-enlists-sigerson-hero-tally-to-boost-galway-setup-36389124.html

Tyrone's Paddy Tally brought in as a coach by Walsh. Interesting. Won the Sigerson with St Mary's this year.

In less good news Galway will likely be missing the Corofin lads, Gary O'Donnell, Danny Cummins, Fiontain O'Curraoin and Michael Daly for most if not the entirety of the league campaign.

Young players drafted in include Sean Andy and Sean Mulkerrin.

Fair to say they will have their hands full trying to stay in division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Tally is a massive coup, have heard great reports about him before. Seems especially important in Galway where we have a sense that we're not getting anywhere near enough out of the talent available.

That injury list is very worrying though. Especially FOC, slow league football tends to suit him. Hopefully they can scrape out the 2/3 wins usually needed to stay up

Also no guarantees that Mulkerrin or Jack Canning for the hurlers will be in Ireland in a few months time if their AFL trials went well.

• Advertisement

There'll be plenty of pressure on Sean Andy, I assume it's a case of throw him straight in at FB and essentially hope for the best. Worth a go though

Haven't seen full training panel I wonder have guys like Sean Moran, Mark Rohan Paul Donnellan and Gary Kelly been looked at after stellar club campaigns

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement