Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Bit of club football news, Aran islands have lodged an appeal against Williamstown fielding an "illegible player". Think a decision is imminent on that one, but certainly an interesting development. I don't know the ins and outs to comment

I'm sure you don't mean that literally?
    Hope this doesn't become as protracted as the Turlough' thing.
    Other semi-final replay goes ahead in Tuam tomorrow, weather permitting. Too close to call I think; the standard in this grade appears no better than previous years sadly.

The Senior 1/4 finals fixed for the hurling;
    Have to take Portumna over Craughwell - think the latter's boat has sailed for that team.
    Will go for Mellows over C'bridge, marginally, and Gort should have too much ability and experience for Killimordaly.
    Cappy' could have a fighting chance v Sarsfields; the former have a nice bit of momentum while the latter are solid but hardly world-class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

MfMan wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't become as protracted as the Turlough' thing.
    Other semi-final replay goes ahead in Tuam tomorrow, weather permitting. Too close to call I think; the standard in this grade appears no better than previous years sadly.

The Senior 1/4 finals fixed for the hurling;
    Have to take Portumna over Craughwell - think the latter's boat has sailed for that team.
    Will go for Mellows over C'bridge, marginally, and Gort should have too much ability and experience for Killimordaly.
    Cappy' could have a fighting chance v Sarsfields; the former have a nice bit of momentum while the latter are solid but hardly world-class.

Inelligible even!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Bit of club football news, Aran islands have lodged an appeal against Williamstown fielding an "illegible player". Think a decision is imminent on that one, but certainly an interesting development. I don't know the ins and outs to comment
    Inelligible even!

Be some laugh if a team was thrown out on account of a maor uisce's dodgy handwriting :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

the standard in this grade appears no better than previous years sadly.

Probably the same standard as most senior teams if the truth be told

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Can't see many games getting played this weekend so the whole lot is going to end up in a right heap.

• Advertisement

Condenser wrote: »
    Can't see many games getting played this weekend so the whole lot is going to end up in a right heap.

Yeah I wouldn't give much hope to all 4 QFs being completed. Another mess of a season

Yeah I wouldn't give much hope to all 4 QFs being completed. Another mess of a season

Both today's Senior games were postponed anyway. Tomorrow's forecast rather better so I'd say there's a fair chance both games will be played as per fixture.

Claregalway beat Kil,/Clonberne AET in today's Intermediate replay I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Claregalway beat Kil,/Clonberne AET in today's Intermediate replay I think?

They did. Shane Walsh leveled it with the last kick of regulation time and KC were a point up going in at half time of extra time but Claregalway scored a goal in the second half and won by those two points. Good game despite conditions and a good crowd in Tuam too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

JC was Portumna's only scorer and it wasn't enough.

Thought this might be Portumna’s last push but (as I suppose we should expect with a team mainly filled with 30-somethings) a bit of a comedown after perhaps looking a bit better than they were in the last two matches

Gort and Craughwell will probably produce the Championship winner. Two very inconsistent sides though, and it could go any way at all. ‘Well gave Gort a bit of a hiding in the league, read into that what you will.

Gort’s forward have never really been up to it as a collective and Craughwell are still relying on performances by a few veterans, which is hit and miss at this stage of the season.

Mellows certainly used their get out of jail card and I’m sure they’ll make amends next Sunday. Cappy the breath of fresh air of the weekend. Problematically though, some players have involvement with St. Gabriels in football so the hurling final could be a while off yet

Very underwhelming hurling championship though again. We may be entering a barren period of Galway club winners. There really has been no team much more than passably decent in the Championship overall for about the third year running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very underwhelming hurling championship though again. We may be entering a barren period of Galway club winners. There really has been no team much more than passably decent in the Championship overall for about the third year running

Well having an outstanding club side never helped Galway win an All-Ireland and we certainly had enough of them all through the 90's and 00's. Even in 87 and 88 there was no outstanding club side in the county. During the 80's a different side practically won the county championship year after year. Seems like we could be in for a similar period now. The talent seems much more spread out now between a lot of clubs. Of the 18 Galway players that got on the field in the All-Ireland final I think they came from 15 different clubs.

1989 Sarsfields
    1988 Abbeyknockmoy
    1987 Athenry
    1986 Killimordaly
    1985 Turloughmore
    1984 Castlegar
    1983 Gort
    1982 Kiltormer

Called that one wrong alright. Port's performance level must have dropped hugely from the Castlegar match. Damien Hayes, Chunky, young Jack, all not at the races last Sunday. Craughwell defended doggedly it must be said and used sweeper Adrian Cullinane effectively - he mopped up a lot of aimlessly-driven ball out of the Portumna defence. Two Healys once again to the fore for the winners.
    The victor of their semi' with Gort will be firm favourites to go on and win it but neither are unbeatable.

Cappy' have good momentum but are in uncharted water heading into their first ever semi-final and may be distracted by St. Gabriel's football demands. The 'Bridge have probably over-achieved reaching this far but were overall the better team against Mellows last week. The latter behaved well to pull back a 6-point deficit in the second half without scoring a goal. A solid enough side in fairness if they could decide on their best formation and avoid injuries; I tip them just to prevail in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Called that one wrong alright. Port's performance level must have dropped hugely from the Castlegar match. Damien Hayes, Chunky, young Jack, all not at the races last Sunday. Craughwell defended doggedly it must be said and used sweeper Adrian Cullinane effectively - he mopped up a lot of aimlessly-driven ball out of the Portumna defence. Two Healys once again to the fore for the winners.
    The victor of their semi' with Gort will be firm favourites to go on and win it but neither are unbeatable.

Cappy' have good momentum but are in uncharted water heading into their first ever semi-final and may be distracted by St. Gabriel's football demands. The 'Bridge have probably over-achieved reaching this far but were overall the better team against Mellows last week. The latter behaved well to pull back a 6-point deficit in the second half without scoring a goal. A solid enough side in fairness if they could decide on their best formation and avoid injuries; I tip them just to prevail in the replay.
    You were right. Mellows done just enough . Will need to improve a lot though to reach final ., pity bout all there injuries . Both semi finals hard to call although the winners of gort v craughwell will be strong favs to lift the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Congrats to the 7 lads picking up All Star awards tomorrow night. Joe Cooney can regard himself very unlucky not to receive one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

This crap of putting lads in positions they didn't play in needs to stop. Padraig mannion will be chalked down as an all star at right corner back but that's only so mark Coleman can get on the team. They should pick the 2 best wing backs out of maher, mannion and Coleman and leave it at that. Which for me is mannion and maher.

Who could you leave out for Joe Cooney though?

Looks a very fair team to me

I'm sure the football will draw all the 'controversy'!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Could have put Cooney in goal.

I'd have kept Mannion at 5 and see if there was a place for Maher but then maybe Paudie isn't as adaptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

nootroc wrote: »
    Could have put Cooney in goal.

I'd have kept Mannion at 5 and see if there was a place for Maher but then maybe Paudie isn't as adaptable.

It's Coleman who you would be looking for a position, Maher was absolutely nailed on. Coleman had a great Munster campaign but was meh in the AI series.

danganabu wrote: »
    It's Coleman who you would be looking for a position, Maher was absolutely nailed on. Coleman had a great Munster campaign but was meh in the AI series.

Agreed. Mannion at corner-back is just ridiculous and both he and Maher would and should shade it over Coleman as wing-backs. Maybe accommodating Coleman because of the absence of Nash?

Why not 8 for Galway, given their dominance this year? Joe Cooney quite unlucky, very little between he and the Deise wing forwards. Harte (distinctly) and Hanbury both had strong claims also.

JC's award stretches Portumna's lead at the top of the standings for Galway club awards. Which club, of either code, leads nationally I wonder? Glenmore, Ballyhale, St Vincents, Blackrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Adrian Tuohy was the scapegoat in all this
    Coleman was showed up badly in the semi and thus is not deserving of an all star.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

JC's award stretches Portumna's lead at the top of the standings for Galway club awards. Which club, of either code, leads nationally I wonder? Glenmore, Ballyhale, St Vincents, Blackrock?
    Kilkenny have 183 awards in total, Cork 108, Tipp 97 and Galway 92. So I'd imagine KK clubs are almost certainly in the lead. James Stephens and Ballyhale both have 27, and Fenians 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Kilkenny have 183 awards in total, Cork 108, Tipp 97 and Galway 92. So I'd imagine KK clubs are almost certainly in the lead. James Stephens and Ballyhale both have 27, and Fenians 20.

Maybe so but there are dual clubs in Cork that my well be ahead of that.

No-one will ever fully agree on the All Stars. I mean recency effect is obviously massive and how on earth do you weight different matches, factor in some players playing 3 or 4 more matches than rivals (in Mayo's case in football), player's exact roles for their team etc.

Then you have the token selection(s) from each semi-finallist and emphasis on more flashy players and so on.

All things said this was a fair selection imo

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Tuohy, Harte and Coen all very unlucky to miss out imo.

Harte/Tuohy both consistently better than Mannion throughout the year imo.
    Coen was much better than Burke too. A great performance in the final won it for Burke

Tuohy, Harte and Coen all very unlucky to miss out imo.

Harte/Tuohy both consistently better than Mannion throughout the year imo.
    Coen was much better than Burke too. A great performance in the final won it for Burke

Oh God, no! Mannion excellent practically all year long; good league and Leinster finals, so close to MOTM v Tipp. AI final maybe his weakest performance in 2017. Strong candidature for HOTY IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

Oh God, no! Mannion excellent practically all year long; good league and Leinster finals, so close to MOTM v Tipp. AI final maybe his weakest performance in 2017. Strong candidature for HOTY IMO.

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

I agree Mannion was excellent but I just think Harte and Tuohy were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

I agree Mannion was excellent but I just think Harte and Tuohy were better.

Harte was very average in the Final and was generally the sweeper in most games. Mannion was 9/10 in every game and 8/10 in the final.
    Harte or Touhy never reached that level. In fairnesss I thought Hanbury was the unlucky one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Mannion for me was flawless bar the final were he had a tough opponent in padraic Mahony (who should be an all star)
    Tuohey deserved one but his performances compared to Mannion were not as consistently strong

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Harte was very average in the Final and was generally the sweeper in most games. Mannion was 9/10 in every game and 8/10 in the final.
    Harte or Touhy never reached that level. In fairnesss I thought Hanbury was the unlucky one

In fairness to Harte, he wasn't sweeper in the league final but was still excellent. Similarly, in the Dublin game, he gave away inches to the wing-forward but managed to outfield him on a couple of occasions and nullified him completely - nearly MOTM that day.

Great to be having these debates!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement