Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Don't think Mulkerrin is really a corner-back though. He's always been a full-back for Galway through underage and plays centre-back for the club. Not easy on a young lad to be introduced to senior intercounty football out of position. Albeit it's only FBD. Maybe they want to see if he can play in the corner. I think he's a bit tall for that position.

Havent seen an awful lot of him tbh. I just know his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Havent seen an awful lot of him tbh. I just know his reputation.

I saw him playing in an Intermediate league match the morning after the Galway Football All-Star awards. He is a big lad, and quick too. He had a quite first half (unsurprisingly after the big night before I suppose) but grew into it in the second half. He kept the opposition's main two threats under wraps. Both of those lads played u21 for Galway and at least one is of senior intercounty standard. I was impressed for sure by a guy so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Don't think Mulkerrin is really a corner-back though. He's always been a full-back for Galway through underage and plays centre-back for the club. Not easy on a young lad to be introduced to senior intercounty football out of position. Albeit it's only FBD. Maybe they want to see if he can play in the corner. I think he's a bit tall for that position.

Not having a go, but how can you be too tall to play corner back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

danganabu wrote: »
    Not having a go, but how can you be too tall to play corner back?

It's a position that generally requires a lot of twisting and turning often against quite nippy corner forwards. I think too much height can actually be a disadvantage in that position. It's not a coincidence that the player in question here has played 95% of his football in central positions. You generally don't see very many 6 foot 3 corner backs.

It's worth a go I guess though seeing as it's only the FBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It's a position that generally requires a lot of twisting and turning often against quite nippy corner forwards. I think too much height can actually be a disadvantage in that position. It's not a coincidence that the player in question here has played 95% of his football in central positions. You generally don't see very many 6 foot 3 corner backs.

It's worth a go I guess though seeing as it's only the FBD.

But thats more a question about his mobility that anything to do with his height, I dont see the corelation to be honest.

Galway for the last 2 years have struggled with direct high ball into the FB line, the game against Tipp in 2016 being a perfect example, Tipp are one of the very few counties who actually kick direct ball into the inside forwards and Galway were terribly exposed by this, so a bit of height and aerial presence in the backline might be a pre planned tactical decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Beat Mayo in the end. Should probably have been far easier looking at the sides but good second half in the end and down to 13, and then 12 for parts of it. That's 4 in a row over Mayo I believe. They've had a golden generation which was admirable but obviously can't last. We've a bunch of young players coming through who've been used to beating Mayo at every page group, the last 3 minors, last year's U21s etc. Still a bit off at the top level but things look promising to restore Connacht to it's natural hierarchy at least. League match more important again though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Beat Mayo in the end. Should probably have been far easier looking at the sides but good second half in the end and down to 13, and then 12 for parts of it. That's 4 in a row over Mayo I believe. They've had a golden generation which was admirable but obviously can't last. We've a bunch of young players coming through who've been used to beating Mayo at every page group, the last 3 minors, last year's U21s etc. Still a bit off at the top level but things look promising to restore Connacht to it's natural hierarchy at least. League match more important again though
    Think it's 3-0 to Galway looking for 4-0 in February

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

Still a bit off at the top level but things look promising to restore Connacht to it's natural hierarchy at least.

“Natural hierarchy”

Please explain???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I don't see Mayo going away soon tbh

On age profile theres still a while in AOS, Keegan, COC yet who have perhaps been the 3 key players over this "golden generation". Paddy Durcan, brendan Harrison and diarmuid o'connor are younger again.

Doherty and mcloughlin won't be 30 till 2019.

Then the likes of Barrett, SOS, Vaughan and boyle who are all around the 30 mark had great performances in the latter stages so there's life in them yet.

Moran and Higgins are freaks for their age

Loftus looks a potentially good find too. That's essentially the 15. I think they're fine if they can develop one or two every year.

Galway have a far from settled team and have struggled bringing the under 21 winning sides of 2011 and 13 through.

I think with respect provincial matches have lost so much relevance now. Id take making latter stages of all Irelands myself

Think it's 3-0 to Galway looking for 4-0 in February

Putting FBD wins towards this record is like counting Emirates cup wins in soccer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Damo Comer really hates Mayo

Damo Comer really hates Mayo

I said it over on the mayo thread but im a massive fan of him

He needs to reign it in discipline wise, but he's a matchwinner and will be a complete nightmare to handle in May.

I love players like him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

“Natural hierarchy”

Please explain???

How would you rate the Connacht Football counties historically there yourself?

Sounded like that Cunningham lad from Headford had a very impressive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sounded like that Cunningham lad from Headford had a very impressive game.

whats the story with him and joining Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Honestly can't taking anything much about scraping past a Mayo development/fringe team. Even allowing for conditions anything other than a win in that game would have been shameful.

This competition is useful for blooding a few new players. No one will care or remember who won this when the league starts. The league will quickly give a real indication of where we are at.

At least with this result we should make the final which will be a useful workout against a Roscommon side who seem to be going well at the moment.

Beating Mayo last year wasn't worth a toss when it's followed up with a pathetic capitulation against Roscommon and we followed that up with a shameful display of damaged limitation against a vulnerable Kerry side.

This team and management have it all to prove this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

jr86 wrote: »

On age profile theres still a while in AOS, Keegan, COC yet who have perhaps been the 3 key players over this "golden generation". Paddy Durcan, brendan Harrison and diarmuid o'connor are younger again.

Then the likes of Barrett, SOS, Vaughan and boyle who are all around the 30 mark had great performances in the latter stages so there's life in them yet.

Loftus looks a potentially good find too. That's essentially the 15. I think they're fine if they can develop one or two every year.

Wouldn't expect Mayo to change their starting 15 too much come the business end from last summer, that will mean the average age will be 29 higher than any other team and combined championship appearances between them would be over 600 again higher than any other team.

While Mayo will be there or thereabouts again in 2018 i think it remains to be seen as to where Mayo will be in 2 or 3 years especially when key players either retire or get older.

Galway have a far from settled team and have struggled bringing the under 21 winning sides of 2011 and 13 through.

I think with respect provincial matches have lost so much relevance now. Id take making latter stages of all Irelands myself

Awful lot of miles on the clock though. Don't think they will go away per se but no doubt that their window is closing. They got a miracle season out of Andy Moran last year for his age but not sure that can be repeated again. They have a number of players up around 30 who were running at absolute maximum last year just to keep up with the Dubs. Easy to forget as well that they could easily have lost three times before that.

That said who else is around that's really better than them unless some other team emerges.

Awful lot of miles on the clock though. Don't think they will go away per se but no doubt that their window is closing. They got a miracle season out of Andy Moran last year for his age but not sure that can be repeated again. They have a number of players up around 30 who were running at absolute maximum last year just to keep up with the Dubs. Easy to forget as well that they could easily have lost three times before that.

That said who else is around that's really better than them unless some other team emerges.

That poster seemed to be alluding to a changing of the guard in connacht in a way and using recent underage success for galway as a basis. I still think this mayo team will be at the top table for another 3 years anyway myself so I think that's an incredibly premature statement

When push really came to shove Galway wilted against a very beatable Kerry and Mayo went out and beat them with a few points to spare in the replay. I still think there's a decent gap there

I fully agree with your last paragraph. Mayo will probably decline in the coming years but given what's out there theyll still most likely eke their way to semis and finals for a while yet. With all due respect the connacht championship is basically an extension of the league now

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

That poster seemed to be alluding to a changing of the guard in connacht in a way and using recent underage success for galway as a basis. I still think this mayo team will be at the top table for another 3 years anyway myself so I think that's an incredibly premature statement

When push really came to shove Galway wilted against a very beatable Kerry and Mayo went out and beat them with a few points to spare in the replay. I still think there's a decent gap there

I fully agree with your last paragraph. Mayo will probably decline in the coming years but given what's out there theyll still most likely eke their way to semis and finals for a while yet. With all due respect the connacht championship is basically an extension of the league now

Changing of the gaurd? Could have sworn Mayo have been beaten in Connacht the last two years in a row, they aren't exactly miles ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    Changing of the gaurd? Could have sworn Mayo have been beaten in Connacht the last two years in a row, they aren't exactly miles ahead.

Do you honestly think Galway r Roscommon would have got within an asses roar of Dublin in the final ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

As a Galway supporter I know that mayo team that Galway beat last June wasn't the same beast that beat Kerry and took dublin all the way. You're dreaming if you think Connacht was the barometer.
    Galway were outfought by Roscommon and never thought they could beat Kerry so they've a lot to prove this year to show they're near mayo. It'll need a good showing in the super 8 and a semi final appearance to show they're near mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Connacht will always be tight enough but come Croke Park there is a big gap between the two. Mayo up their game while Galway have waited in the same vein of performance. I think we will see a more focused Mayo for the Connacht championship this year so it will be very interesting with the new format

whats the story with him and joining Cork City?

No idea.

jam83 wrote: »
    As a Galway supporter I know that mayo team that Galway beat last June wasn't the same beast that beat Kerry and took dublin all the way. You're dreaming if you think Connacht was the barometer.
    Galway were outfought by Roscommon and never thought they could beat Kerry so they've a lot to prove this year to show they're near mayo. It'll need a good showing in the super 8 and a semi final appearance to show they're near mayo.

This Mayo side for whatever reason generally play to the level of their opponent which is why they've been close to Dublin the past couple years yet still lost to Galway twice recently and almost lost to Derry, Cork and Roscommon last Summer.

Peader O'Griofa injured in warm up today - poor guy must be one of the unluckiest players ever with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Peader O'Griofa injured in warm up today - poor guy must be one of the unluckiest players ever with injuries.

He came on. Don't think he was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Great win over Leitrim.......keep it going now lads..

He came on. Don't think he was injured.

Wasnt at it. Galway Bay FM said he injured himself in the warm up. I dont think he is quite good enough for this level, very accurate but maybe a tad slow. Has had terrible luck with injuries though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Wasnt at it. Galway Bay FM said he injured himself in the warm up. I dont think he is quite good enough for this level, very accurate but maybe a tad slow. Has had terrible luck with injuries though

Ya three cruciates is a lot to come back from. Number 12 came on as a sub late on and it looked like him but with so many new lads floating about it could me been anyone. Didn't do anything of note either way. Was a hard match to endure. Conditions were shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement